Francesa and STJ's salary

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Francesa and STJ's salary

Postby chuckfrombc on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:21 pm

I listened to Francesa's show on FIOS TV yesterday and he claimed that St. John's did not wish to pay any more than $700K for a coach. Assuming the coach could earn at as much as 500K more from related sources, there is no way they could compete for the coaches they contacted before Al. I have no idea how knowledgeable Francesa is about St. Johns, but I would think that this job would would pay in the $2 million range.

I wonder if anyone else has some insider information about this area. The reason I ask is that I believe that BC is one of the lower paying coaching positions. From what Francesa was saying, perhaps I have been misinformed???????? TIA
chuckfrombc
Carney Hall

Re: Francesa and STJ's salary

Postby EagleManiac66 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:28 pm

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:I listened to Francesa's show on FIOS TV yesterday and he claimed that St. John's did not wish to pay any more than $700K for a coach. Assuming the coach could earn at as much as 500K more from related sources, there is no way they could compete for the coaches they contacted before Al. I have no idea how knowledgeable Francesa is about St. Johns, but I would think that this job would would pay in the $2 million range.

I wonder if anyone else has some insider information about this area. The reason I ask is that I believe that BC is one of the lower paying coaching positions. From what Francesa was saying, perhaps I have been misinformed???????? TIA

WOW! I'm really surprised by that figure given the NY marketing area and all. Al could still get $1M at St. John's since BC would have to make up the difference in paying out his remaining 3 years.
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:28 pm

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:I listened to Francesa's show on FIOS TV yesterday and he claimed that St. John's did not wish to pay any more than $700K for a coach. Assuming the coach could earn at as much as 500K more from related sources, there is no way they could compete for the coaches they contacted before Al. I have no idea how knowledgeable Francesa is about St. Johns, but I would think that this job would would pay in the $2 million range.

Money was not an issue for Hewitt (they were willing to pay him I think in the neighborhood of 1.6 and needed to help with a substantial buyout) so I think that blows up the theory of one of the least knowledgable people in the world on sports. At least in Al's situation BC seemed to pay what the AVG ACC coach was making minusing out the three that have won national titles. It is more of a false perception of the school then anything else that BC will not pay good money to the right coach. I would say BC refuses to over pay for marginal talent. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Saveagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Mike Francesa is a blowhard who knows virtually nothing about college sports. Except for letting everyone know how close he is with Calhoun and Calipari. I would therefore ignore anything he had to say on the subject, notwithstanding his alleged ties to St John's.
Saveagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:It is more of a false perception of the school then anything else that BC will not pay good money to the right coach. I would say BC refuses to over pay for marginal talent. :ace

Well, what if GDF refuses to hire anything by marginal talent? The perception that BC doesn't pay will continue so long as GDF is running things (with all due respect to the Genophiles who believe that the evil ADMINISTRATION is tying their hero's hands).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:03 pm

What was Al's salary?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:What was Al's salary?

I assume that since statements have been made about paying our the $3M remaining on his 3 remaining contract years that it was $1M per year. Does anyone know what other bonuses or endorsements he had?
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:07 pm

EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:

I assume that since statements have been made about paying our the $3M remaining on his 3 remaining contract years that it was $1M per year. Does anyone know what other bonuses or endorsements he had?

I thought I had read somewhere that he made $2.2 million in 2009, if so that must have been including a lot of bonuses.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:07 pm

EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:

$50 for every leftover timeout so we owe about $1M on that.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:10 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:

I thought I had read somewhere that he made $2.2 million in 2009, if so that must have been including a lot of bonuses.

That included a bonus on his extension I believe. His salary as I've heard is around $1.1
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:00 am

Just because I hate Francesa more than almost any person aliver other than perhaps TOB I figured I would bump this back up. Lavin is getting $1,450,000. The guy literally knows nothing and makes me want to :suicide whenever people quote him to me as if what he says is even 1% accurate. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:04 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:Just because I hate Francesa more than almost any person aliver other than perhaps TOB I figured I would bump this back up. Lavin is getting $1,450,000. The guy literally knows nothing and makes me want to :suicide whenever people quote him to me as if what he says is even 1% accurate. :ace

So much for the moron stating that SJU wouldn't go above $700K.
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:05 am

Francesca is a fat slob who knows absolutely nothing about college sports. Or pretty much any sport for that matter.

The ones to listen to if you want hear 1. good radio and 2. good content are the guys before him: Joe & Evan, 10-1.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Return to Conte Forum