empty seats

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

empty seats

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:58 am

It is awfully convenient for the AD to blame the head coach for empty seats at Conte. No mention of donor based seating. No mention of the weird student points system. No mention of the weird start times. No mention of the nerdification.

I honestly don't care if the next coach is a salesman. I don't care what type of offense he runs. I just want wins and I want him to represent the school well.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Re: empty seats

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:00 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:It is awfully convenient for the AD to blame the head coach for empty seats at Conte. No mention of donor based seating. No mention of the weird student points system. No mention of the weird start times. No mention of the nerdification.

I honestly don't care if the next coach is a salesman. I don't care what type of offense he runs. I just want wins and I want him to represent the school well.

I would love to see GDF blame nerdification as a factor in attendance without pussyfooting around the issue. That would be an amazing interview.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:00 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
I honestly don't care if the next coach is a salesman. I don't care what type of offense he runs. I just want wins.

Unfortunately, you are naive if you think these three things are mutually exclusive concepts.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:01 pm

There was a mention of donor based seating. He mentioned that it wasn't a factor.

Men's basketball has consistently been a poorly attended program at BC, regardless of who's coaching the Eagles. Playing in a professional sports town like Boston, the Eagles have struggled to generate interest in college basketball. DeFilippo said the donor-based seating at Conte Forum isn't a reason a number of seats have remained empty.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/ncb/news/story?id=5039956
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:02 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:It is awfully convenient for the AD to blame the head coach for empty seats at Conte. No mention of donor based seating. No mention of the weird student points system. No mention of the weird start times. No mention of the nerdification.

GDF is just setting himself up for when he fires Jerry York.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:02 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:There was a mention of donor based seating. He mentioned that it wasn't a factor.

Men's basketball has consistently been a poorly attended program at BC, regardless of who's coaching the Eagles. Playing in a professional sports town like Boston, the Eagles have struggled to generate interest in college basketball. DeFilippo said the donor-based seating at Conte Forum isn't a reason a number of seats have remained empty.

Using my GDF to english dictionary that loosely translates to.."I don't give a shit if anyone actually goes to the games as long as the money flows in"
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Getting the students excited and showing up provides home court advantage. Is it a requirement of the head coach? Probably not. But it certainly would be a plus. Skinner could have started by having a midnight madness. He could have tried to sell the program a little more. He fucked up.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:04 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Getting the students excited and showing up provides home court advantage. Is it a requirement of the head coach? Probably not. But it certainly would be a plus. Skinner could have started by having a midnight madness. He could have tried to sell the program a little more. He fucked up.

You're blaming no midnight madness on SKinner and pointing to it as a major reason there wasn't excitement around the program? Beyond hilarious. I would say get a rope, but you're way beyond that.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:04 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:There was a mention of donor based seating. He mentioned that it wasn't a factor.

I'm also sick of this Boston is a pro sports town bullshit. I feel pretty confident that when 100 or so students show up for a game there aren't another 900 at the Celtics or Bruins game.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 pm

talon {l Wrote}:

If I started coaching BC Hockey today before the Frozen Four and GDF fired York and even if his assistants were there or not, these kids would win titles maybe in the next 3 seasons for what Jerry York taught them.

Like when Bob Lemon took over for drunken Billy Martin in 1978. The Yankees had Munson and Piniella managing and Randolph and ----Lemon was a drunk who slept on the bench.

I would be that guy.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

I'm also sick of this Boston is a pro sports town bullshit. I feel pretty confident that when 100 or so students show up for a game there aren't another 900 at the Celtics or Bruins game.

No, but they're definitely busy reading about Paps' favorite chaw.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I would love to see GDF blame nerdification as a factor in attendance without pussyfooting around the issue. That would be an amazing interview.

When TRE is AD he will come out and scream "NERDS!!!!!!!!!!" in his first press conference.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

When TRE is AD he will come out and scream "NERDS!!!!!!!!!!" in his first press conference.

I am making paddles in preparation...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Philly is a pro sports town. Does Nova play in a Spooky Haunted Tomb?

Same with DC and GTown.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

You're blaming no midnight madness on SKinner and pointing to it as a major reason there wasn't excitement around the program? Beyond hilarious. I would say get a rope, but you're way beyond that.
Yes, I AM blaming it on skinner and no, I am not citing it as a major reason, I am citing it as an example.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Philly is a pro sports town. Does Nova play in a Spooky Haunted Tomb?

Philly decidedly has always been a college hoops town. Ever heard of the Big 5? More recently, the Eagles became the the top team. College hoops is now roughly equivalent to pro baseball and pro hockey there.

Still, I agree with your point. Blaming attendance at BC hoops game (when 5 years ago you couldn't score a ticket) is an intellectually lazy and it ignores a bunch of different other factors that are within BC's control.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Philly is a pro sports town. Does Nova play in a Spooky Haunted Tomb?

Well it was named after a likely inbred trustfunder who shot an olympic wrestler in his driveway and owned a tank, so it very well may be a spooky haunted tomb. But it is filled with fans, nonetheless.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby C55Eagle04 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Has anyone ever been to a midnight madness? They suck. Seriously, they are insanely boring.
C55Eagle04
n00b

Postby xu9697 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Could any part of this be that fans are just not interested in as many of the ACC schools (outside of Duke and UNC)?

NOT saying we should not have moved, but I think there is just not as much interest game-to-game b/c of the opponents

Syracuse, UConn, GTown, Nova> Duke and UNC (attendance wise). Not saying I am right..have not researched the numbers. But this might be one negative fall out of the move.

I'm sure it has been mentioned before..just not seeing it today.
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:35 pm

Same with DC and GTown.

No hockey at those schools to compete for students' time and fans' money.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Well it was named after a likely inbred trustfunder who shot an olympic wrestler in his driveway and owned a tank, so it very well may be a spooky haunted tomb. But it is filled with fans, nonetheless.

its not named that anymore, jerk-pants... they got rid of it right after the wrestler received his final pin.

ps - you need to get an avatar back so i don't breeze over your posts like i do the rest of the great unwashed that post here

i wasn't feeling the avatar, i need a new one. Also it will always be the murderdome to me.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Gene is a fucking moron if he really believes that.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Philly decidedly has always been a college hoops town. Ever heard of the Big 5? More recently, the Eagles became the the top team. College hoops is now roughly equivalent to pro baseball and pro hockey there.

Bullshit. "Ever heard of the big 5?" is like saying "Ever hear of the Beanpot?" Nobody gives a fuck about the beanpot outside of 128 and nobody gives a shit about St Joe's playing Motherfucking LaSalle.

If your post was snark, then I withdraw my countersnark.**

**Countersnark now available on PS3 and Sega Genesis
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby EIConvert on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:52 pm

The drunk on the bench?

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

If I started coaching BC Hockey today before the Frozen Four and GDF fired York and even if his assistants were there or not, these kids would win titles maybe in the next 3 seasons for what Jerry York taught them.

Like when Bob Lemon took over for drunken Billy Martin in 1978. The Yankees had Munson and Piniella managing and Randolph and ----Lemon was a drunk who slept on the bench.

I would be that guy.
EIConvert
Carney Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:54 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Philly decidedly has always been a college hoops town. Ever heard of the Big 5? More recently, the Eagles became the the top team. College hoops is now roughly equivalent to pro baseball and pro hockey there.

Bullshit. "Ever heard of the big 5?" is like saying "Ever hear of the Beanpot?" Nobody gives a fuck about the beanpot outside of 128 and nobody gives a shit about St Joe's playing Motherfucking LaSalle.

If your post was snark, then I withdraw my countersnark.**

**Countersnark now available on PS3 and Sega Genesis

College hoops in Philly do not compare to the Phillies nor the Flyers. Maybe to the Sixers, though the Sixers are probably in lower standing now.
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:15 pm

I don't think you can blame the "nerdification" for no shows. Some of the nerdiest schools pack the house every game.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Return to Conte Forum