This article did a great job of summarizing my thoughts

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

This article did a great job of summarizing my thoughts

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:00 am

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/30/13968 ... n-analysis

This article expressed my thoughts - just in a more articulate manner. Some excerpts:

"Over the years, Al Skinner became Boston College basketball. BC basketball was sometimes very good, sometimes average, and sometimes mediocre. "

"Winning with class, never asking for credit, and never making excuses when they fell short. That was Al Skinner, and he fit Boston College perfectly."

"Boston College won't pay for that, of course, because that's not how their athletic program works. Boston College's problem is Boston College. And in a few years, they'll be right back where they started, looking for a fresh start and a new coach. Someone that can make the most of limited resources. A coach that can recruit kids that'll perform in the classroom, too. In other words, they a coach exactly like Al Skinner. Boston College had their man. The school moved to the ACC for money, and that's okay. But after firing Skinner, they've just ended an era where they were more successful than they ever should have been. And if they ever want to get back to that level in college basketball, they'd better use some of that ACC football money. It's going to cost them."

Nice work Andrew Sharp!
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Re: This article did a great job of summarizing my thoughts

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:07 am

fuck you and fuck sharp.

:74 with that weak defeatist non BC GUYS shit!

When I say it, a BC MAN, it is what it is, not some punk since you hate BC.

Get the fuck out you baby maker!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/30/1396822/al-skinner-fired-boston-college-reaction-analysis

This article expressed my thoughts - just in a more articulate manner. Some excerpts:

"Over the years, Al Skinner became Boston College basketball. BC basketball was sometimes very good, sometimes average, and sometimes mediocre. "

"Winning with class, never asking for credit, and never making excuses when they fell short. That was Al Skinner, and he fit Boston College perfectly."

"Boston College won't pay for that, of course, because that's not how their athletic program works. Boston College's problem is Boston College. And in a few years, they'll be right back where they started, looking for a fresh start and a new coach. Someone that can make the most of limited resources. A coach that can recruit kids that'll perform in the classroom, too. In other words, they a coach exactly like Al Skinner. Boston College had their man. The school moved to the ACC for money, and that's okay. But after firing Skinner, they've just ended an era where they were more successful than they ever should have been. And if they ever want to get back to that level in college basketball, they'd better use some of that ACC football money. It's going to cost them."

Nice work Andrew Sharp!

Notorious, I'm hoping your support for this article is sarcasm. We had a team that could not even do an inbounds play. Can somebody go tell Butler to go home. They don't belong in the Final Four.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for the kind and rational response 74.

You're a bad person - always were!
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:16 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Thanks for the kind and rational response 74.

You are not a BC GUy and you always knock me?

GO SUCK YOUR BF's COCK AND DIE!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby janebc on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 am

I'll bet this Sharp guy loved Toby...
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:19 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}: "...they've just ended an era where they were more successful than they ever should have been."

Why? I like Al, but there is no reason BC can't do what Nova, GTown, Cuse, Butler, Marquette, Gonzaga, etc. have done. That's a dumb statement.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:21 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/30/1396822/al-skinner-fired-boston-college-reaction-analysis

Nice work Andrew Sharp!

Notorious, I'm hoping your support for this article is sarcasm. We had a team that could not even do an inbounds play. Can somebody go tell Butler to go home. They don't belong in the Final Four.

Militant I think it was probably time for a change and am also excited by the possibilities a new coach can bring.

I was at two of the NCAA games in 1994 elite 8 run and know that BC get to the final four. But I can also respect the job that Al did when he was here. He was a good man and a good coach. Albeit one who drove me nuts with out of bounds plays etc.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby janebc on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:22 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}: "...they've just ended an era where they were more successful than they ever should have been."

Why? I like Al, but there is no reason BC can't do what Nova, GTown, Cuse, Butler, Marquette, Gonzaga, etc. have done. That's a dumb statement.

Amen, Endless Mike
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:22 am

One only needs to look this far to know what to think of this steaming pile of poop:

"I was never diehard about BC athletics" - Andrew Sharp
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Mike - I agree with you and quoted that sentence too quickly
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 am

I think the biggest problem in this article, and I think someone stated it in the other post where it is cited, is that it makes the claim that the move to the ACC precluded Al from recruiting our "traditional" northeast area. Which, whoever said it, correctly pointed out is factually and definitively wrong. Skinner never had a recruiting base, he was as national as it gets from the Bell years on. So the article then combines several of my least favorite BC fan positions: 1)we are what we are, why try, 2) were less than we are, enjoy it, 3) we were better off in the bigeast because were a new england school.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 am

janebc {l Wrote}:I'll bet this Sharp guy loved Toby...

Thanks.

Orange is a simp. A stooge. A house Lackey.

No one including me has ever knocked Al's personal life or his character.

This is why I have always posted on every Coach..

RECORD OF PERFORMANCE.

This is about BC and Sports.

13 Years and no Final Fours and look at the Coahces on that list this AM with tenure like Al's and numerous titles and FF's!!!!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby C55Eagle04 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:26 am

"Recruiting kids from New York and Boston and New Jersey and Philly—all feeder states for the Eagles—became much harder when Boston College went to the ACC."

Who on the basketball team is from these states? Agbai was from New York. Raji is from NJ. Who else?

What a garbage article.
C55Eagle04
n00b

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:26 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Thanks for the kind and rational response 74.

You are not a BC GUy and you always knock me?

GO SUCK YOUR BF's COCK AND DIE!

Responses like this are why I knock you.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

C55Eagle04 {l Wrote}:"Recruiting kids from New York and Boston and New Jersey and Philly—all feeder states for the Eagles—became much harder when Boston College went to the ACC."

Who on the basketball team is from these states? Agbai was from New York. Raji is from NJ. Who else?

What a garbage article.

That is correct. I can only think of 4 basketball players from NJ over the last 30 years: Sweeney, Burnett Adams, Troy Bouwers, and John Oates. We never had a strong presence there. Same with NY and Philadelphia.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:42 am

C55Eagle04 {l Wrote}:"Recruiting kids from New York and Boston and New Jersey and Philly—all feeder states for the Eagles—became much harder when Boston College went to the ACC."

What a garbage article.

kenny harley
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 am

Harley (NY) is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby C55Eagle04 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:45 am

You mean Kenny "take it to the rim when down by 3 on the last possession with Tory Bell out on the perimeter" Harley.

But good call. I thought he might have been from NY, but couldn't find an old roster.
C55Eagle04
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:58 am

C55Eagle04 {l Wrote}:You mean Kenny "take it to the rim when down by 3 on the last possession with Tory Bell out on the perimeter" Harley.

But good call. I thought he might have been from NY, but couldn't find an old roster.

One of the most interesting things about the end of that game is the irony that Kenny Walls hit a 3 (that didn't count but would have tied the game) as Al called a TO to set up a play.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Return to Conte Forum