Chris Mack or Brian Gregory

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Chris Mack or Brian Gregory

Postby gaelfu on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 am

These guys need to be options 1A and 1B in this search. When it comes to assessing "realistic" candidates, these two likely wouldn't need a multi-million dollar contract to be lured to an ACC level job. They have also experienced success at smaller Catholic institutions (Xavier and Dayton respectively). Gregory used to be an Izzo assistant, which is a big plus in my book, and Mack coached at Xavier, which has a long track record of producing quality coaches.

For the record, I will be disgusted if Coen or anyone else from the Al/Gene family becomes our next head bball coach.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Re: Chris Mack or Brian Gregory

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:25 am

1a. Pearl
1b. Stevens
1c. Mack
1d. Gregory.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:25 am

I like Gregory a lot. Mack can coach, but he hasn't proven he can recruit yet.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby gaelfu on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:28 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:1a. Pearl
1b. Stevens
1c. Mack
1d. Gregory.

+1 I forgot about Stevens. He'd be great too! I've heard from too many people that Pearl will never come to BC, but I guess that's the boosters' fault. BC is too poor to pay its coaches an average ACC wage
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:30 am

1b. Stevens
1c. Mack
1d. Gregory.

How about Martin from Kansas State? He played or coached at Northeastern apparently. It's worth a shot if nothing else.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MrXorDiogenes on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:33 am

I have been saying this all day. Unfortunately Grgory might already be making more at Dayton than BC is willing to pay. I am afraid DePaul will get him anyway
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/co ... pe=feedbot
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/20 ... egory.html
I decided this site had too many assholes like you!! and when the hockey season was over I was going away until the trash just goes away with the summer low tide -----like it usually does, on the old site and on this one. BCEagle74
MrXorDiogenes
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 am

MrXorDiogenes {l Wrote}:I have been saying this all day. Unfortunately Grgory might already be making more at Dayton than BC is willing to pay. I am afraid DePaul will get him anyway
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/co ... pe=feedbot
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/20 ... egory.html

You'd have to freaking clean house here if you want to bring in Gregory. Pressing 94 feet isn't going to work for a few guys who are terribly out of shape on this roster. Fortunately, those guys are the players I can't stand for the most part.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby gaelfu on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 am

For any limitations it might have, BC is 1000000x better of a job than DePaul. I hope that fact would somewhat sway his decision in coming here. Of course, our shitty AD would need to possess the imagination and charisma to go out and actually make an offer to him
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby totheights on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:51 am

Anyone to change the culture please.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby BCMcG on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:54 am

1b. Stevens
1c. Mack
1d. Gregory.

1a. Pearl - Love to see him come, but BC is not going to pay him what it takes.
1b. Stevens - Not a chance. Everybody is eyeing him. He's going to have waaaaaay better options than BC.
1c. Mack - Hasn't been coach for a full year yet. He could be riding the success of Matta and Miller. Sadly, I'm not sure BC is a better job than Xavier right now. Xavier is his alma mater.
1d. Gregory - Worth considering. I hope he's on Gene's radar as he's a legitimate possibility.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:56 am

BCMcG {l Wrote}:
1b. Stevens
1c. Mack
1d. Gregory.

1a. Pearl - Love to see him come, but BC is not going to pay him what it takes.
1b. Stevens - Not a chance. Everybody is eyeing him. He's going to have waaaaaay better options than BC.
1c. Mack - Hasn't been coach for a full year yet. He could be riding the success of Matta and Miller. Sadly, I'm not sure BC is a better job than Xavier right now. Xavier is his alma mater.
1d. Gregory - Worth considering. I hope he's on Gene's radar as he's a legitimate possibility.

Gene probably won't pay Pearl what it takes, but we ought to see what it would take.

What are the other options for Stevens this year? I think at this point we're the best job available - no signs of any other ACC/Big East vacancies. Unless the Oregon situation opens something up, I'm just not seeing it. We should at least throw an offer out there.

I agree that Mack is questionable, which is why I have him below Pearl and Stevens.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:58 am

You would think GDF's bit about fan excitement indicates we won't see a Princeton-offense type. BC has in fact been quite successful with a fullcourt pressure uptempo style, not just with the Dr. Tom/Williams teams but also with the Bell/Harley/Beerbohm team. It's harder to fake effort in that style, and it would seem to be more attractive to recruits.

God forbid we bring in someone like Amaker for such "excitement".
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:01 am

I hate to be a party pooper, but it will be Donahue or Mooney. Like the past searches, the fix is in.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby totheights on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:02 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I hate to be a party pooper, but it will be Donahue or Mooney. Like the past searches, the fix is in.

We know. We just aren't going to believe it, because it is more fun that way. :suicide
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:02 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I hate to be a party pooper, but it will be Donahue or Mooney. Like the past searches, the fix is in.

I wouldn't be upset with either of those choices. I'd just like to think we reached out to a bigger name.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:04 am

As I said in a previous thread, you make a ballsy move in firing a media-beloved coach who has been the winningest coach in school history, you better hit a freaking homerun as a replacement. People have been clamoring for Skinner being fired so they can land Bruce Pearl. GDF better follow through.

As for the mid- and micro-majors being discussed (or much, much worse the Spaz-lites), Brian Gregory is an excellent suggestion. But... wasn't there something weird about him? Some sort of story I recall from a few years ago. Did he take a job and back out? Did he have a bad falling out with a player?

Of the mid-major coaches, he certainly is a great option... possibly the best of what is out there.

I hate Mack. All he is doing is riding what Miller left for him. He needs like 3 more years before he can stand on his own.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMcG on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:04 am

Based on your latest blog, this leads me to believe you think it's going to be Amaker. It can't possibly be Tommy Amaker, could it? I can't imagine a worse turn of events.

EDIT: Nevermind. My bad. I read it as "it won't be..."
Last edited by BCMcG on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 am

Wait Mooney runs the Princeton offense? O God No. :suicide
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bumpers on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:09 am

gaelfu {l Wrote}:For any limitations it might have, BC is 1000000x better of a job than DePaul. I hope that fact would somewhat sway his decision in coming here. Of course, our shitty AD would need to possess the imagination and charisma to go out and actually make an offer to him

Totally disagree from a program history perspective. The right guy could revive that program to prominence now that it is NBE, with all the Chicago recruits who want to stay local and to play on national TV (WGN) all the time.

If anything, DePaul is a more attractive job becasue Ponsetto and the University are motivated to get there, and the school doesn't have near the academic standards of BC opening a wide net for recruit eligibility. There once was a time when the City revolved around Depaul BB, and that could easily happen again with the bulls being mediocre apres-Jordan.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby gaelfu on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:13 am

If the fix is in, why is GDF our athletic director? His job is to conduct a search and the best search he can. If that's not happening, then GDF is derelict in his duties
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:14 am

Mack is not coming here. Xavier is preferable to him for so many reasons. And I don't blame him one bit.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:04 pm

I honestly don't know that much about Brian Gregory, except for his coaching lineage being pretty good.

But...146-80 playing an A-10 schedule? It's not a bad record, but it's not that great, either.

Maybe there's something I'm not getting.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Return to Conte Forum