Katz on ESPN video

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Katz on ESPN video

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 am

Reporting that the Skinner camp doesn't agree with Gene's statement that the parting of ways was mutual, and stating that Gene fired his second coach in two years for interviewing with another team.

Regardless of what really happened behind closed doors, and regardless of any reporting bias, our esteemed AD once again looks like a bumbling idiot in the national press. Fuck.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Katz on ESPN video

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:13 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Reporting that the Skinner camp doesn't agree with Gene's statement that the parting of ways was mutual, and stating that Gene fired his second coach in two years for interviewing with another team.

Regardless of what really happened behind closed doors, and regardless of any reporting bias, our esteemed AD once again looks like a bumbling idiot in the national press. Fuck.

Sounds like Gene needs to be let go - now's the perfect time, Leahy.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:13 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Reporting that the Skinner camp doesn't agree with Gene's statement that the parting of ways was mutual, and stating that Gene fired his second coach in two years for interviewing with another team.

+1. This has always been my biggest fear after the football debacle. Gene is a :clownshoes , no two ways around that.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:14 am

Look, I respect OJ's "we can be better" attitude, but the rest of the country thinks he is an idiot. They think that BC is BC and that they should be happy to have regular success with TOB and Skinner. They are wrong, and have been proven so with football, but that image will never leave. Ignore them.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:16 am

So, just because it wasn't mutual means GDF fired him for interviewing with another team? Gene practically called SJU for him. Square peg, round hole.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:17 am

And you clowns can't have it both ways. If you wanted Al gone for mediocrity, you got your wish. GDF is your hero right now. Because the idea that Al was fired for interviewing with SJU is ludicrous revisionist history.

I am no GDF fan, but he did what this board wanted last week. Stop bitching about the press - they are pro-Al and always have been. No way to avoid bad press on this.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Look, I respect OJ's "we can be better" attitude, but the rest of the country thinks he is an idiot. They think that BC is BC and that they should be happy to have regular success with TOB and Skinner. They are wrong, and have been proven so with football, but that image will never leave. Ignore them.

TW is right..these are the same talking heads who were incredulous that BC "let" TOB go...screw them.

Talking heads do not admit they are wrong. In fact, they continue to make excuses for TOB.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:20 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And you clowns can't have it both ways. If you wanted Al gone for mediocrity, you got your wish. GDF is your hero right now. Because the idea that Al was fired for interviewing with SJU is ludicrous revisionist history.

I am no GDF fan, but he did what this board wanted last week. Stop bitching about the press - they are pro-Al and always have been. No way to avoid bad press on this.

I could not care less why Al is gone. Whether it was mutual, he was fired for sucking, fored for interviewing or because GDF just wanted to flex his muscles is not important to me at all. I wanted Al gone because I think we can do better and now he is gone so I am happy. I do reserve the right to be pissed again if GDF hires Coen.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC '00 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:22 am

Having this story line out there is the worst possible outcome for BC. If prospective coaches believe this, we won't be able to get anyone but :spaz3 2.0 to come here. You could convince them to ignore the Jags standoff, but if Gene does the same thing repeatedly, it becomes a real problem for any decent coaching candidate.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:22 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And you clowns can't have it both ways. If you wanted Al gone for mediocrity, you got your wish. GDF is your hero right now. Because the idea that Al was fired for interviewing with SJU is ludicrous revisionist history.

I could not care less why Al is gone. Whether it was mutual, he was fired for sucking, fored for interviewing or because GDF just wanted to flex his muscles is not important to me at all. I wanted Al gone because I think we can do better and now he is gone so I am happy. I do reserve the right to be pissed again if GDF hires Coen.

Fine then, I have no gripe with you. I have no problem with the crowd that wanted Al gone and are thanking GDF right now. And I agree that hiring Coen will suck.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:22 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Look, I respect OJ's "we can be better" attitude, but the rest of the country thinks he is an idiot.

There is one section of the country that agrees with OJ's opinions.

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 am

tw is absolutely right in this thread - who cares why he was fired? After the jags debacle it was going to be spun negatively.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:24 am

It's time to stop bitching and hire :spaz2 . Maybe he could play center too.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:25 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:Having this story line out there is the worst possible outcome for BC. If prospective coaches believe this, we won't be able to get anyone but :spaz3 2.0 to come here. You could convince them to ignore the Jags standoff, but if Gene does the same thing repeatedly, it becomes a real problem for any decent coaching candidate.

Except that no believes it this time. SJU announced that they asked for and received permission. Al is just covering his ass with Katz, who loves him - he asked for it to be kept quiet, and Gene complied. Al thought he was getting the SJU job. He didn't. Now he is looking for a job, and doesn't want people to know he was fired for lack of performance. Smart.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:28 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Look, I respect OJ's "we can be better" attitude, but the rest of the country thinks he is an idiot. They think that BC is BC and that they should be happy to have regular success with TOB and Skinner. They are wrong, and have been proven so with football, but that image will never leave. Ignore them.

TW is right..these are the same talking heads who were incredulous that BC "let" TOB go...screw them.

Talking heads do not admit they are wrong. In fact, they continue to make excuses for TOB.

And with that, I present to you.... comedy from the NC St. Scout board:

hunwolf wrote:

jbpackfan wrote: They should count themselves lucky to have Skinner. He wins with mediocre talent. Why anyone would want to coach or play at BC is beyond me.

I think we've already seen this the way the football program has fallen apart once TOB left.

Just like it takes time to build a program, it takes time for one to fall apart.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:Having this story line out there is the worst possible outcome for BC. If prospective coaches believe this, we won't be able to get anyone but :spaz3 2.0 to come here. You could convince them to ignore the Jags standoff, but if Gene does the same thing repeatedly, it becomes a real problem for any decent coaching candidate.

Except that no believes it this time. SJU announced that they asked for and received permission. Al is just covering his ass with Katz, who loves him - he asked for it to be kept quiet, and Gene complied. Al thought he was getting the SJU job. He didn't. Now he is looking for a job, and doesn't want people to know he was fired for lack of performance. Smart.

I couldn't agree more twb!!!

GO :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle !
Last edited by EagleManiac66 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You're right. We're getting killed right now on WEEI by that idiot Michael Holly, who I guarantee has been to all of about 1 BC Basketball game in his entire life. Totally agree with TWB here, ignore the press, there is some bizarre national media love affair with Al Skinner specifically with Andy Katz.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 am

+1. I don't think there's any question that the national perception amongst media and college sports fans would be that Gene's firing of Al is simply a Jags redux. However, for what really matters - the hiring of a new coach who can breathe some life into this basketball program - I think the perception of Gene amongst the pool of coaches that might otherwise be interested in the BC is necessarily hurt tremendously by the conflicting reports Katz cites.

Playing arm chair psychologist for a moment, it seems to me that by labeling the move "mutual" Gene was attempting to avoid the Jags comparisons, and if that in fact wasn't true, he was doing it for himself and not for the best interests of BC. Further, if that's the case, it seems to me that he's done the school and the program a substantial disservice.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:34 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:

hunwolf wrote:

jbpackfan wrote: They should count themselves lucky to have Skinner. He wins with mediocre talent. Why anyone would want to coach or play at BC is beyond me.

I think we've already seen this the way the football program has fallen apart once TOB left.

Just like it takes time to build a program, it takes time for one to fall apart.

Wow....just wow...
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:35 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:

hunwolf wrote:

Wow....just wow...

How many ACCCG's have NCST participated in since they got TOB? How many have we been in? I've come to realize that actually, ACC fans for the most part are as stupid as Big East fans, excluding Clemson from the discussion.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
You're right. We're getting killed right now on WEEI by that idiot Michael Holly, who I guarantee has been to all of about 1 BC Basketball game in his entire life.

What did he say? He is usually sensible.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

+1. I don't think there's any question that the national perception amongst media and college sports fans would be that Gene's firing of Al is simply a Jags redux. However, for what really matters - the hiring of a new coach who can breathe some life into this basketball program - I think the perception of Gene amongst the pool of coaches that might otherwise be interested in the BC is necessarily hurt tremendously by the conflicting reports Katz cites.

Playing arm chair psychologist for a moment, it seems to me that by labeling the move "mutual" Gene was attempting to avoid the Jags comparisons, and if that in fact wasn't true, he was doing it for himself and not for the best interests of BC. Further, if that's the case, it seems to me that he's done the school and the program a substantial disservice.

Gene labeled it mutual to protect Al at Al's request. He likes Al, he just doesn't like where the program is headed. Fact is, Gene could have said that and chose not to. But now it is leaking out that Al was actually fired and protected by his AD, so the inference is that Al wasn't doing a good job. Had Al gotten the SJU job, it wouldn't have mattered. But now he is unemployed, and protecting his rep with the low hanging fruit of hinting that this is another Jags situation.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:38 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
You're right. We're getting killed right now on WEEI by that idiot Michael Holly, who I guarantee has been to all of about 1 BC Basketball game in his entire life.

"Know who you are BC" is how it started in response to an e-mail I sent to the show. It then continued that we can't recruit with all these others schools and BC is inferior, blah blah blah. Holly is an idiot when it comes to BC sports, particularly since he doesn't pay attention to them.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:39 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Gene labeled it mutual to protect Al at Al's request. He likes Al, he just doesn't like where the program is headed. Fact is, Gene could have said that and chose not to. But now it is leaking out that Al was actually fired and protected by his AD, so the inference is that Al wasn't doing a good job. Had Al gotten the SJU job, it wouldn't have mattered. But now he is unemployed, and protecting his rep with the low hanging fruit of hinting that this is another Jags situation.

If in fact Gene was protecting Al, that may be a good thing in the eyes of other coaches. But, from a bird's eye view, if you were a coach looking at the situation, wouldn't you be more concerned with Gene's treatment of coaches while they're at BC and not after they've been fired?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC '00 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

While I think that it's entirely plausible (and likely) that it went down the way you say, perception matters some on this. I just had a coworker stop by and ask if we fired Al for interviewing for another job "and didn't you guys do that to your football coach a little while back?" Whether or not Al's side of the story is true, this narrative being out there is damaging to BC.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:41 am

Our incompetent AD brings this upon himself and BC. If we let go/fire the one of the most respected coaches in the industry, a man who has done an excellent job at BC, you have to go out an make a big hire. Someone who changes the perception. Hiring Jags or Spaz just solidifies the perception that we are small time. Christ... just look at Oregon. They fired Ernie Kent who did wonders there and is the winningest coach in their history. No one mentioned the firing. No one was surprised by it. The only thought was "Ah man... wait until you see who they hire." What does Oregon do? They make overtures to Izzo and interview and have a good chance for Jamie Dixon. For christsake... DePaul is rumored to have made a $2.5mm like offer to Ben Howland in an attempt to steal him from UCLA. If BC goes out and hires Bruce Pearl, no one is talking about Al Skinner.

This Board wanted Al gone because they couldn't wait one more year before bringing Bruce Pearl home. GDF has fulfilled half their wish. We will see if he follows through or hands us Coen, Cooley or some other micro-major coach that no other program wants.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:43 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

If in fact Gene was protecting Al, that may be a good thing in the eyes of other coaches. But, from a bird's eye view, if you were a coach looking at the situation, wouldn't you be more concerned with Gene's treatment of coaches while they're at BC and not after they've been fired?

No. I give Katz's comment little credence. It is obvious self serving Al leakage that only came out after everyone including Katz said that Al was fired last week and was protected by GDF so he would have a chance to get the SJU job.

If that is wrong fine. I just find it impossible to believe that GDF gave permission to interview, which was very public, from SJU sources, and then fired Al because of it. Jags was told not to interview.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 am

Has HJS been to even one BC bball game in the last five years?

I think worst case scenario is Bill Coen and that is an upgrade over Skinner. HJS stop writing.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ObserverCollege on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

"Know who you are BC" is how it started in response to an e-mail I sent to the show. It then continued that we can't recruit with all these others schools and BC is inferior, blah blah blah. Holly is an idiot when it comes to BC sports, particularly since he doesn't pay attention to them.

+1 Michael Holley. Exactly. Go get Amaker, Sean Kearney or Leo Papile.
Shake down the Thunder!!!
ObserverCollege
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I think Holly pays much more attention to BC than Dale. Dale is firmly in the "know who you are BC" camp, but Holly has given BC credit where it was due, particularly the football team and the fact that BC graduates athletes (versus his beloved Buckeyes, whose academic record is the butt of jokes for Holly as much as it is for anyone else). If Holly's point is to criticize Gene for acting like a jealous girlfriend and that BC doesn't have the track record to fire coaches for testing the waters, I agree. But if he actually said "BC is inferior," then he is being an idiot.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum