This is what I'm hearing...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: This is what I'm hearing...

Postby BCMcG on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:09 pm

It's not like he's never coached at a high major before. He's been at several, most recently Pitt, before becoming head guy at RMU.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:14 pm

First... what major conference does Coen and Cooley coach in?
Second... if Oregon hires Jamie Dixon, we won't get a shot at Rice.
Third... I mentioned this last week, but does anyone know anything about Mark Schmidt? Former BC player under Gary Williams... was at RMU before Rice... now is at the Bonnies.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:16 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:It's not like he's never coached at a high major before. He's been at several, most recently Pitt, before becoming head guy at RMU.

Grad assistant at Marquette when it was in the Great Midwest and CUSA

Only prominent asst. coach job was at Pitt, for one year.

Look, I like the guy, but we don't need to reach that far down. Let him succeed at a midmajor multibid league before we go after him.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCMcG on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:19 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Third... I mentioned this last week, but does anyone know anything about Mark Schmidt? Former BC player under Gary Williams... was at RMU before Rice... now is at the Bonnies.

I'd prefer to avoid former BC players coaching at St. Bonaventure, if at all possible.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:First... what major conference does Coen and Cooley coach in?
Second... if Oregon hires Jamie Dixon, we won't get a shot at Rice.
Third... I mentioned this last week, but does anyone know anything about Mark Schmidt? Former BC player under Gary Williams... was at RMU before Rice... now is at the Bonnies.

Schmidt has had a couple of .500 seasons at St. Bonaventure. 2008-09 was a major improvement for them but then they stalled out at 15-16 this year (scroll down for St. Bonaventure details). Evidently their best player got into a lot of foul trouble, and they were a doughnut team when he was out. It sounds like Schmidt uses a run and gun style similar to what he played under at BC.

Agree the Bonnie history is less than desirable.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby screagle on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:06 pm

there are also some off the court issues in flight...

http://rochesterhomepage.net/content/fulltext/?cid=164492
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Steve Lavin will be named coach of SJU. News should break on this fairly soon.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby BCMcG on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:19 pm

This should be interesting.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:24 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:It's not like he's never coached at a high major before. He's been at several, most recently Pitt, before becoming head guy at RMU.

Grad assistant at Marquette when it was in the Great Midwest and CUSA

Only prominent asst. coach job was at Pitt, for one year.

Look, I like the guy, but we don't need to reach that far down. Let him succeed at a midmajor multibid league before we go after him.

I agree, however the problem with this becomes that he shows up on more and more radars and therefore there's less and less chance once BC wants him that he's available/willing.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
If Al goes (be it by SJU or buyout), Bill Coen is your new head coach.

From what I hear, Coen will NOT be the BC hoops coach next year if Al is not here. Just sayin'
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Shredder on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:41 pm

In an article for tomorrow's Globe, Blaudschun says that Gene has already contacted schools to talk to their coaches and that Al may be fired soon. At the end he says that Tommy Amaker, Steve Donahue and Chris Mooney (of Richmond) would be prime candidates. Not a fan of Amaker but I'm very intrigued by Mooney and will be reading up on him. http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2010/03/30/boston_college_makes_coaching_inquiries_skinner_on_outs/
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Wow great news thank God Almighty I am wrong with the Coen brother.

Joel and Ethan woulda been better.

Amaker is a loser. Donahue is a loser.

Mooney is tomorrow check out.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby CrownRoyal on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 pm

CrownRoyal
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Chris Mooney
Career Record: 5 Years, 75-82, .478 W-L%
Schools: Air Force (18-12) and Richmond (57-70)

Regular Season Conference Championships: 0
Conference Tournament Championships: 0

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 0 THIS YEAR 0-1NCAA Final Four Appearances: 0
NCAA Tournament Championships: 0
Coaching RecordGlossary ▪ CSV ▪ PRE ▪ SRS and SOS back to 1979-80 season
Season School Conf G W L W-L% SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Notes

2004-05 Air Force MOUW 30 18 12 .600 8.61 2.61
2005-06 Richmond A10 30 13 17 .433 -5.09 1.36
2006-07 Richmond A10 30 8 22 .267 -7.58 0.69
2007-08 Richmond A10 31 16 15 .516 0.22 2.55
2008-09 Richmond A10 36 20 16 .556 2.60 1.07
Career Overall 5 y 157 75 82 .478 -0.25 1.65
Air Force 1 y 30 18 12 .600 8.61 2.61
Richmond 4 y 127 57 70 .449 -2.46 1.42

Another guy with just this year in the tourney and one and done. Anotehr guy with a losing record, but at least other than Amakre, Coen he is better.

Not much, but when mediocrity and $$$$ is what your goal is, Mooney is perfect for BC.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:24 pm

Maybe Lavin likes the easy ESPN gig and passed and Al slides into Jamaica, Queens?

Then maybe BC can go after a final 4 Coach like Stevens or mack from Xavier or Knight...

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:33 pm

If you all hate the flex, wait until you see Money run the Princeton offense at BC.

Amaker would be a totally disaster and a program killer. The only reason Harvard has been decent by Ivy standards is due to Lin who Amaker inherited.

I like Donahue and Fran Dunphy. I like Baron. However, I think Coen will get the job and do very well.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bcaddict on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 pm

I like Coen too. Hate Amaker. OK with some of the other names, but if this is how Al's going to go down, I'd expect something more than this.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 am

It's amazing to me that BC is going to pay Al $3.3mm so we can hire Skinner-lite. It is further amazing that we won't interview anyone whose salary demands will exceed $600k.

People here have ripped Skinner for his diamond-in-the-rough recruiting style... yet, here is GDF doing the same. For GDF, it is never about the success of BC sports programs, but his ability to control those running the programs. Jerry York is GDF's worst nightmare (a popular, wildly successful coach, who the fans think is a God, and who is an alum). Every hire GDF makes is to ensure landing someone who is OPPOSITE York.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 am

HJS {l Wrote}:It's amazing to me that BC is going to pay Al $3.3mm so we can hire Skinner-lite. It is further amazing that we won't interview anyone whose salary demands will exceed $600k.

People here have ripped Skinner for his diamond-in-the-rough recruiting style... yet, here is GDF doing the same. For GDF, it is never about the success of BC sports programs, but his ability to control those running the programs. Jerry York is GDF's worst nightmare (a popular, wildly successful coach, who the fans think is a God, and who is an alum). Every hire GDF makes is to ensure landing someone who is OPPOSITE York.

I think you should wait and see who we hire before passing judgment.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:46 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:It's amazing to me that BC is going to pay Al $3.3mm so we can hire Skinner-lite. It is further amazing that we won't interview anyone whose salary demands will exceed $600k.

And, when it happens, can I get your assurances that you will come on here and say I was right and GDF can't hire a good coach? I hate all the wait-and-seers who predict greatness and then when they hire Coen or whatever boring, crappy coach... come back here and say how "it's still better than Al" and we should give him a chance.

HJS will never post here again if GDF goes out and hires a Jay Wright or Bruce Pearl or Jamie Dixon or Bruce Pearl type of coach. I can only hope that OJ makes a similar offer we land Coen or Cooley or similar micro-major.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:01 am

Would skinner-lite mean that Coen will not even bother to show up to stand on the sidelines for the game? Lite would indicate less and basically that was all Al did. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:04 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

And, when it happens, can I get your assurances that you will come on here and say I was right and GDF can't hire a good coach? I hate all the wait-and-seers who predict greatness and then when they hire Coen or whatever boring, crappy coach... come back here and say how "it's still better than Al" and we should give him a chance.

HJS will never post here again if GDF goes out and hires a Jay Wright or Bruce Pearl or Jamie Dixon or Bruce Pearl type of coach. I can only hope that OJ makes a similar offer we land Coen or Cooley or similar micro-major.

BC is the best available job right now. Look, Jay Wright, Pearl, blah blah blah THEY'RE NOT COMING HERE. It's just not happening. Nor is Bobby Knight. We don't have the basketball tradition to bring those type of guys to BC, or at least I don't think so. Brad Stevens, Steve Donahue, Mack, etc. is what you're looking at. I'll be content with any of those three guys, assuming they can recruit at a big-time level.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:26 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

BC is the best available job right now. Look, Jay Wright, Pearl, blah blah blah THEY'RE NOT COMING HERE. It's just not happening. Nor is Bobby Knight. We don't have the basketball tradition to bring those type of guys to BC, or at least I don't think so. Brad Stevens, Steve Donahue, Mack, etc. is what you're looking at. I'll be content with any of those three guys, assuming they can recruit at a big-time level.

You can't mention Bruce Pearl and then say he won't come to BC because of tradition. Tenn just made their first Elite Eight... EVER. We won't get anyone of note because GDF won't explore anyone of note. Brad Stevens won't even be contacted.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

You can't mention Bruce Pearl and then say he won't come to BC because of tradition. Tenn just made their first Elite Eight... EVER. We won't get anyone of note because GDF won't explore anyone of note. Brad Stevens won't even be contacted.

Pearl would have considered coming here when he went to Tenn. Do you not see the difference in timing?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:28 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

You have no fucking clue who the next coach will be, and so far all of the indications are that your whining, crying, and bitching about the "search" are wrong (again). Congrats on being such a fucking whining loser.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:45 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

You have no fucking clue who the next coach will be, and so far all of the indications are that your whining, crying, and bitching about the "search" are wrong (again). Congrats on being such a fucking whining loser.

So in other words, Mooney and Coen and Donohue give you a hard on? Jesus, I thought that I was the one with low expectations OJ.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:51 am

I think BC should hire Auriemma and complete the pisan trifecta. :spaz3 :spaz2 :mario
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 am

Pearl will be contacted. They won't do anything to get him here, but GDF will at least put in a phone call.

No to Amaker. No to Coen. Come on, GDF. This is your chance to make a great hire in hoops.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 am

I for one would actually be happy with an Auriemma hire - proven winner, it's an outside-the-box move - who knows whether he can translate it to real basketball, but it would be fun to watch.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 am

tallsy {l Wrote}:Pearl will be contacted. They won't do anything to get him here, but GDF will at least put in a phone call.

No to Amaker. No to Coen. Come on, GDF. This is your chance to make a great hire in hoops.

Tennessee fans seem kind of concerned...http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennesse ... ut-bc.html

They obviously don't know GDF
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum