This is what I'm hearing...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

This is what I'm hearing...

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:47 am

Skinner interviewed for SJU. GDF not only blessed it but pretty much drove him to the airport and paid for his flight. That really put Skinner off. Skinner is also put-off by GDF not making ANY effort to keep him in the face of SJU interest. To Skinner's credit, he doesn't want to be anywhere he is not wanted (distinguish this from TOB who wouldn't give up a paycheck).

Basically, if SJU offers Skinner, both Al and GDF will be happy. If SJU goes with (OMG I really can't believe they are serious about this) Lavin, then Al will accept a buyout package from BC (unless he and GDF make up and he shows the love in the form of an extension).

If Al goes (be it by SJU or buyout), Bill Coen is your new head coach. Of course, to enact this Spaz-like hire, GDF will conduct a Spaz-like search (with cursory pretend interviews of Baron, Wojo, Cooley, Duquette and Amaker).

That is all I am hearing. And no (Zman pretending to be BCNH), it doesn't come from BCWest. Some have posted that this will be done this week. I have no idea. Have not heard a single thing on the timeline of this reaching a resolution.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: This is what I'm hearing...

Postby angrychicken on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:52 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:if wojo is even INTERVIEWED i am mailing my diploma back with a request to "unsubscribe" me from all future boston college mailings

can I ban you?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:54 am

Let's clarify...

So instead of getting the TOB/Hughes treatment (drive to the airport), Al is getting the Inglese treatment (you're fired but we let you save face publicly).
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:57 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:if wojo is even INTERVIEWED i am mailing my diploma back with a request to "unsubscribe" me from all future boston college mailings

Wojo would just be one step closer to full nerdification. Think of the floor slapping! I bet Wojo likes Quiditch (sp?) and I know hiring a Dukie will raise our US News rankings.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby FirstDownSyndrome on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:58 am

Basically, if SJU offers Skinner, both Al and GDF will be happy. If SJU goes with (OMG I really can't believe they are serious about this) Lavin, then Al will accept a buyout package from BC (unless he and GDF make up and he shows the love in the form of an extension).

really hedging your bets here. find out soon enough.
“Every chance I get to walk in snow, I take it. Everyone here makes fun of me for it because I love to jump in the snow.” - Chase Rettig
FirstDownSyndrome
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 pm

FirstDownSyndrome {l Wrote}:

really hedging your bets here. find out soon enough.

Not really. I'm saying he won't be our coach next year or he will be our coach with a fat new contract extension. What I am saying is that he is not returning to BC next year under his current deal.

BTW... how effing funny would it be if GDF gave him another extension. EagledominOJ1969 has spent his time as a poster on 3 boards sucking GDF's hog and slamming Skinner. Who would he hate on if GDF extended Skin's contract AGAIN????
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bcaddict on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:40 pm

I haven't heard the buyout stuff, tho I do think it could be a possibility....but if Al wants back to BC next year (assuming he doesn't get the SJU job), Gene won't fire him.

I do think there is going to be some upset feelings all around--hell, Al's gonna be pretty ticked off at SJU. One would think that they've told him that he's at least as high as Lavin/McCaffrey b/c it makes no sense for him to sit out there and wait for SJU if he's running second fiddle. You just don't see successful, established coaches do that--hell, even overrated, established coaches have that move down (See Schiano, Greg). I think that speaks volumes to how much Al wants this job. He's not going to look very "wanted" if it appears that he went after the SJU job, was allowed to go interview for it b/c BC didn't mind if there was a mutual parting, interviewed for the job and didn't "wow" anyone enough to stop their search, and then waited 3-4 days for SJU to interview other candidates (some of whom backed out--ie McCaffrey) before SJU settled on someone other than Skinner.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Addict/West,

How do you think Al's interest in the job was made so public? I have to assume it's SJU, considering how public the search has been in regards to all candidates....
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:47 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
If Al goes (be it by SJU or buyout), Bill Coen is your new head coach. Of course, to enact this Spaz-like hire, GDF will conduct a Spaz-like search (with cursory pretend interviews of Baron, Wojo, Cooley, Duquette and Amaker).

That is all I am hearing. And no (Zman pretending to be BCNH), it doesn't come from BCWest. Some have posted that this will be done this week. I have no idea. Have not heard a single thing on the timeline of this reaching a resolution.

HOMOJS....wouldn't be easier to read the site and then cut and paste what you posted above from my post Sunday Night about Coen and the GDF SHAM COACHING search lines?

Maybe I should take you into the forest and whack your ass.
LMAOROTF...

LOOK INTO YOUR BRAIN.....
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCWest on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:12 pm

The worst case is Skins is not wanted by BC AD, does not get offered the STJ job, stays at BC, and this all stays in limbo until the next round....

Not good for BC.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcaddict on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Addict/West,

How do you think Al's interest in the job was made so public? I have to assume it's SJU, considering how public the search has been in regards to all candidates....

Nature of the SJU job and their desire to make the job seem like anyone and everyone wanted it.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:30 pm

I hate Duke as much as the next person. Although true, if you don't think he'd do a better job under the tutelage of Coach K than anyone not named Coen (Amaker, Cooley or Duquette) you're nuts. If he's going to take our basketball program to the next level, then welcome aboard. There's a reason Coach K is the best in college basketball, and I'll gladly take one of his assistants, even though I absolutely despise their basketball program.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:59 pm

The SJU job was probably Al's if he agreed to lose his assistants and hire new ones who have NYC/AAU ties. Al refused. Therefore he probably won't get the SJU job.

To Al's credit, this shows some major loyalty and character. He's risking his own reputation and future for the well being of his assistants.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:02 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:The SJU job was probably Al's if he agreed to lose his assistants and hire new ones who have NYC/AAU ties. Al refused. Therefore he probably won't get the SJU job.

To Al's credit, this shows some major loyalty and character. He's risking his own reputation and future for the well being of his assistants.

I'd also have to agree with his. Skinner's a loyal guy and sticking by his assistants, however we feel about the issue, proves that beyond a doubt.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:The SJU job was probably Al's if he agreed to lose his assistants and hire new ones who have NYC/AAU ties. Al refused. Therefore he probably won't get the SJU job.

I'd also have to agree with his. Skinner's a loyal guy and sticking by his assistants, however we feel about the issue, proves that beyond a doubt.

The problem is that his assistants are the ones who have put him in the position he is in today... can't land a crappy job with the Red Storm and can't go back to BC. Bonzi and Mo are two of the worst coaches BC has ever had in any sport at any position since Bible and Horton.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:08 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I hate Duke as much as the next person. Although true, if you don't think he'd do a better job under the tutelage of Coach K than anyone not named Coen (Amaker, Cooley or Duquette) you're nuts. If he's going to take our basketball program to the next level, then welcome aboard. There's a reason Coach K is the best in college basketball, and I'll gladly take one of his assistants, even though I absolutely despise their basketball program.

that's all well and good, but wojo's nothing more than a floor slapping towel boy. he's got no skillz and i would hope that all would recognize that

Again, give me the choice between some of the nut jobs we've been debating (Duquette, Amaker, etc.)and Wojo and I'll take Wojo 10 times out of 10.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:11 pm

Stop talking about Wojo. Feel free to talk about Collins, despite the hideous coaching record of his father.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby gaelfu on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:26 pm

Al needs to go. If what HJS is saying is true, it's clear the time has come for Al and BC to mutually part ways and move in another direction. The utter lack of progress of key players such as Sanders and Trapani from year-to-year, combined with the crazy buzz surrounding 2011 recruiting indicates that Al isn't getting the job done. What I don't get is the fascination with Mike Rice. :lame Robert Morris plays in the fucking NEC for crying out loud. If BC can't do better than land an upper-echelon coach from that God-forsaken conference, it shouldn't be in the ACC.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:26 pm

Under no circumstances do I see this as a credit to Al. In fact this is a major character flaw if anything. He put himself and his staff (a staff that does not have a long term contract like him) in a position of having no job soon. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Under no circumstances do I see this as a credit to Al. In fact this is a major character flaw if anything. He put himself and his staff (a staff that does not have a long term contract like him) in a position of having no job soon. :ace

oh, i agree. there is a fine line between loyalty and stupidity. Al, to his own fault, clucked on this one. He probably would have been hired if he simply agreed to hire new assistants.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Byrdcall J on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Now I'm really confused.

If Al was putting his staff at risk by taking the interview at SJU, and keeping his staff intact was one of his main concerns, then is it possible that he knows his gig is up at BC regardless of who SJU hires? Assuming this is the case and Al doesn't get the job at St. John's, and GDF decides to let Al "retire" gracefully this offseason, won't GDF come out of the situation looking like a badguy again? Even if the PR situation is managed better than the Jags fiasco, who is going to want to work under GDF if it looks like he can't handle any of his coaches taking an interview? Nobody is going to buy Al's "retirement" after lobbying for the SJU job.

Certainly this case is different from the Jags firing, but I'm having a hard time of seeing anything positive come out of this situation at this point. It's obvious Al didn't blow them away at the interview and it's really weird that Al has left himself in such a vulnerable position. The longer Al holds out for the job at SJU the worse the BC job looks.
Byrdcall J
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:52 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

oh, i agree. there is a fine line between loyalty and stupidity. Al, to his own fault, clucked on this one. He probably would have been hired if he simply agreed to hire new assistants.

I am under the impression he could have kept most of his staff but needed to just placate the SJU admins with 1 local. Since his staff has as homojs pointed out been part of the slide we have witnessed over the 4 years it tells us a lot about Al that he could not think of 1 he could sacrifice to upgrade for a local NY recruiter.
I am sure the Al apologists will have their own spin on this but Al is coming across as completely clueless as this process unfolds. How in his right mind after a year like last season did he think he was going to squeeze more money and years out of BC? He also, really should have had the job locked down before going to NY to "interview". I guess TOB and Jags taught him nothing. :ace
Last edited by Logitano on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Remember when Ralphie Cifaretto asked Lou Diamond Philips what was more important, his friends or his music? Lou responded: "My family." He went on to make thousands of dollars and buy his hard working mother a nice house in the suburbs. Then again, he was killed in a plane crash because Esi Morales tore off his protective necklace.

So be careful Al, be careful.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:59 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
Remember when Ralphie Cifaretto asked Lou Diamond Philips what was more important, his friends or his music? Lou responded: "My family." He went on to make thousands of dollars and buy his hard working mother a nice house in the suburbs. Then again, he was killed in a plane crash because Esi Morales tore off his protective necklace.

So be careful Al, be careful.

Exalt.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:02 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Skinner interviewed for SJU. GDF not only blessed it but pretty much drove him to the airport and paid for his flight. That really put Skinner off. Skinner is also put-off by GDF not making ANY effort to keep him in the face of SJU interest. To Skinner's credit, he doesn't want to be anywhere he is not wanted (distinguish this from TOB who wouldn't give up a paycheck).

I'm hearing the exact same thing except for one difference. (Bolded) Instead, I'm hearing that if nothing happens Al will be back and will have to make the tourney bare-minimum in order to even discuss not being let go. (Personally, I think it should be 2nd weekend or else even though THE TOURNEY IZZ RANDOM!!!)

Edit: I wanted to point out as well that I have *definitely* heard the same thing re: Coen.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Did you assclowns ever think that Al knows bringing his crew of Village idiots is a dealbreaker and he told St John's that so he could force a buyout or just make life miserable for BC and the weasel?

Alsleep Skinner is a lazy fuck and GDF is even fucking lazier for having a sham search for Spazoo The Catatonic Calzone and the Messiah From Northeastern......

whisper it liek a prayer....

Bill Coen...

No wonder wny BC Guys hate Duke and ND.

ND gets our Coach who sends the WOP WEASEL MIDGET MUSSOLINI a Message in a Chianti Bottle and Duke just kicks our ass and we rush the floor like we won something?

HUMILIATING. DISGUSTIAD.

If not for Jerry York, we could have a fucking Chess Club Forum.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby jumboeagle on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Lavin is meeting again this afternoon with SJU.....not good a good sign for Al. This could get rather uncomfortable.
jumboeagle
n00b

Postby BC923 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:59 pm

I have heard this too, Al is gone no matter what, I have been saying this for a couple days now. And I think it is a good move, even if it is just Coen that we get, at least he is into his job and will hopefully hire some good assistants. However I really want us to hire Mike Rice
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:03 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:I have heard this too, Al is gone no matter what, I have been saying this for a couple days now. And I think it is a good move, even if it is just Coen that we get, at least he is into his job and will hopefully hire some good assistants. However I really want us to hire Mike Rice

Way too big of a jump in my opinion. Small NEC school to ACC school? Too big.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:05 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:I have heard this too, Al is gone no matter what, I have been saying this for a couple days now. And I think it is a good move, even if it is just Coen that we get, at least he is into his job and will hopefully hire some good assistants. However I really want us to hire Mike Rice

Way too big of a jump in my opinion. Small NEC school to ACC school? Too big.

Normally yes, but with GDF we won't get a big name or hot mid major guy, It's him, Coen, or Cooley. I'll take my chances on Mike Rice.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum