SKINNER GOES: POST WHO IS YOUR 1st PICK FOR COACH AND WHY?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: SKINNER GOES: POST WHO IS YOUR 1st PICK FOR COACH AND WHY?

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:24 pm

westwoodeagle {l Wrote}:
GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:It seems like a clear echelon has developed:

No Brainers: Kruger, Pearl, Few
Improvements: Baron, McCaffrey
Boring but acceptable: Coen
Certifiable trainwrecks: Cooley, O'Shea, Duquette, Lappas

I can aassure you that Gene will only be looking at Coen and the certifable trainwreck group. One thing about Napoleon is his consistency in hiring coaches who do not perform or challenge his realm.

I think Cooley should be moved up into Coen's group. We can definitely stop even joking around about Lappas. He hasn't coached since 2005 with his train wreck at UMass. He also almost broke my tv when I saw him doing halftime on the cbssports.com games. He's not nearly as handsome as Al.

Cooley would be a disaster. Go ahead... make me an argument for Cooley over Coen. You can't. If you are going to accept Cooley, who never even made it to be the top assistant, than you should accept Duke and O'Shea... and yes... even Lappas. All 4 suck and we would be doing MUCH worse off than if we just held onto Al.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
westwoodeagle {l Wrote}:

I can aassure you that Gene will only be looking at Coen and the certifable trainwreck group. One thing about Napoleon is his consistency in hiring coaches who do not perform or challenge his realm.

I think Cooley should be moved up into Coen's group. We can definitely stop even joking around about Lappas. He hasn't coached since 2005 with his train wreck at UMass. He also almost broke my tv when I saw him doing halftime on the cbssports.com games. He's not nearly as handsome as Al.

Cooley would be a disaster. Go ahead... make me an argument for Cooley over Coen. You can't. If you are going to accept Cooley, who never even made it to be the top assistant, than you should accept Duke and O'Shea... and yes... even Lappas. All 4 suck and we would be doing MUCH worse off than if we just held onto Al.

Well...he's an incredibly nice guy...durr
Last edited by bignick33 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bcmurph on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:
bcmurph {l Wrote}:Anyone know what Michael Adams is doing these days? I believe he was considered an up-and-comer when he resigned from Williams ataff at Maryland a few years ago...

I was thinking this exactly. He played at BC and has experience in the ACC under Williams including a championship. I don't think he has any head coaching experience which would work against him. I can't find anything on what he's done since he left Maryland.

Looks like he was training at this academy after he left Mayland

http://www.horizonbasketball.com/trainers.htm

Been coaching at a private high school in DC for the last year

http://www.archbishopcarroll.org/?q=athletics (scroll to the bottom)
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:STOP TALKING ABOUT STEVE FUCKING LAPPAS

I get the impression you don't like Steve Lappas.

Seriously, I'll root for another basketball team if we hire Steve Lappas.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMcG on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:33 pm

Bruce Pearl

I had some serious reservations about Pearl in the past. He has a checkered history and is a bit of a shady character. However, I give him a lot of credit for how he handled this season. He handled the media extremely well, didn't make any excuses, and, most importantly, moved on from the situation and won basketball games. He is exactly what BC needs right now. There is zero interest in the program, so BC needs a high energy guy as a catalyst to build off the foundation that Skinner has established. On top of that, Pearl is a good coach, an alum, and a local guy.

For this to be a realistic option, there are two requirements. The first is that Pearl needs to have a genuine interest in returning to Massachusetts to coach at BC. Why else would any major conference coach from a tournament program with a good following want to move onto a program with little fan support and is a third priority in the athletic department? On top of that, BC is a program with greater academic and recruiting restrictions. The move doesn't make sense unless he really wants to come home and make a mark at his alma mater. The second requirement would be that BC would have to pay at least what Tennessee is paying. The cost of living is higher in Massachusetts and there are certain "quality of life" benefits in Tennessee.

Unfortunately, I don't see BC hiring a coach with the cachet that Pearl has. As much as fans don't want to admit it, basketball is not a priority at BC. BC is willing to make the investment to get the exposure it gets from occasional tournament appearances. However, I'm not sure the university is willing to do what it takes to be a consistent top-tier program.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:36 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:Bruce Pearl

I had some serious reservations about Pearl in the past. He has a checkered history and is a bit of a shady character. However, I give him a lot of credit for how he handled this season. He handled the media extremely well, didn't make any excuses, and, most importantly, moved on from the situation and won basketball games. He is exactly what BC needs right now. There is zero interest in the program, so BC needs a high energy guy as a catalyst to build off the foundation that Skinner has established. On top of that, Pearl is a good coach, an alum, and a local guy.

For this to be a realistic option, there are two requirements. The first is that Pearl needs to have a genuine interest in returning to Massachusetts to coach at BC. Why else would any major conference coach from a tournament program with a good following want to move onto a program with little fan support and is a third priority in the athletic department? On top of that, BC is a program with greater academic and recruiting restrictions. The move doesn't make sense unless he really wants to come home and make a mark at his alma mater. The second requirement would be that BC would have to pay at least what Tennessee is paying. The cost of living is higher in Massachusetts and there are certain "quality of life" benefits in Tennessee.

Unfortunately, I don't see BC hiring a coach with the cachet that Pearl has. As much as fans don't want to admit it, basketball is not a priority at BC. BC is willing to make the investment to get the exposure it gets from occasional tournament appearances. However, I'm not sure the university is willing to do what it takes to be a consistent top-tier program.

They'd probably make more money than they invested in Pearl if this team was in the Top 25 every year. I wouldn't expect any of the financial geniuses running the AD to realize that though.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby chuckfrombc on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:37 pm

Internet quotations have Pearl earning 2.4 Million at Tennessee (total package). Can you see BC paying that with Al making less than 900K???
chuckfrombc
Carney Hall

Postby westwoodeagle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
westwoodeagle {l Wrote}:

I wouldn't make an argument for Cooley over Coen because I think Coen would be a much better hire. Thanks though. Cooley is different from Duquette because he's been a head coach before - Duke isn't ready. O'Shea just signed a very long term deal to coach that up-and-coming powerhouse in Bryant and even though I tend to give Gene the benefit of the doubt, there's no way he's dumb enough to hire a coach coming off a 1 win season.

Lappas isn't happening because he's been out of basketball for 5 years. You pulled that name out of nowhere. I guarentee Gene and Lappas haven't spoken since 1997 aside from possibly bumping into each other.
westwoodeagle
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:59 pm

Merge ALL 4 THREADS.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:12 pm

I don't think Gene would ever have the guts to hire Bruce Pearl. Even if he did hire Pearl and said he would be hands off, it would only last a season or two before one of them blew up.

O'Shea and Duke probably hurt their chances with this season. Cooley probably helped his chances but this is Coen's job to lose.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:26 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't think Gene would ever have the guts to hire Bruce Pearl. Even if he did hire Pearl and said he would be hands off, it would only last a season or two before one of them blew up.

O'Shea and Duke probably hurt their chances with this season. Cooley probably helped his chances but this is Coen's job to lose.

That's depressing. Can we work a clause into the contract that says they have to take Gene with Al?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:33 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't think Gene would ever have the guts to hire Bruce Pearl. Even if he did hire Pearl and said he would be hands off, it would only last a season or two before one of them blew up.

That's depressing. Can we work a clause into the contract that says they have to take Gene with Al?

That is really depressing.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:49 pm

Wait... are we coming to the realization that I've been right all these years???
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:34 pm

I actually bet GDF goes outside the Skinner Tree. But I doubt it will be a big name for you Few/Knight people.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:49 pm

1. Keno Davis - Owns New England recruiting. The 12-19 record with a talented Providence team scares me, but I'll take the chances.

2. Bill Coen - The man who discovered Jared Dudley, Craig Smith and Troy Bell just to name a few. Notice how when he left BC basketball hit the shitter.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:49 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Merge ALL 4 THREADS.

no. we've been told that makes the infant baby christmas jesus cry

I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:10 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Merge ALL 4 THREADS.

no. we've been told that makes the infant baby christmas jesus cry

Jesus always hustled.

They killed him on Friday and they thought-----boom on the injured reserve list for life and in 2 days Jesus was back and resurrected his career.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby InTheKnow on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:13 pm

My choices would be Baron(URI), Coen(NU), Dana Barros, Pearl(Tenn) he'll never find a removal spray strong enough to get rid of Pat summits name on that court.might catch some heat for this but Mike Jarvis
InTheKnow
n00b

Postby 1981Eagle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:22 pm

Pearl is probably out of reach and he won't take GDF's Napoleon shit. The guy from Harvard--Amaker. I still think he could be a great coach. He's kicked our ass twice now. He's a Coach K disciple. Knows how to coach at a school with academic requirements. Yes, I know he was spotty at Seton and Michigan. Chuck Daly was spotty too--until AFTER he left BC.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Byrdcall J on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:24 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:1. Keno Davis - Owns New England recruiting. The 12-19 record with a talented Providence team scares me, but I'll take the chances.

2. Bill Coen - The man who discovered Jared Dudley, Craig Smith and Troy Bell just to name a few. Notice how when he left BC basketball hit the shitter.

I don't think I could get behind a Keno Davis hiring. I watched several PC games this year including one in person at the Dunk against 'Cuse and the Friars were a certifiable disaster. No offensive movement without the ball, pitiful defense... just 5 individual players with no cohesion. You think watching the flex offense is frustrating? How about watching your team run no offense whatsoever, because that's what Providence did this year.

I got the distinct feeling that Davis was in over his head this year in the Big East.
Byrdcall J
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:35 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:I actually bet GDF goes outside the Skinner Tree. But I doubt it will be a big name for you Few/Knight people.

While I can dream of BC landing a Lon Kruger, I know it ain't happening. If GDF is willing to go outside the Skinner Tree and desires to hire someone for under a mil, Baron, McCaffrey and possibly even Rice would be a welcome addition.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:14 am

Stop talking about Keno Davis.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Byrdcall J on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:24 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Stop talking about Keno Davis.

Keno Davis. Keno Davis. Keno Davis.

The Keno Davis Court at Steve Lappas Arena.
Byrdcall J
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't want Xavier or Butler coaches. Neither have shown anything yet.

Pearl would be my first choice, but he is not coming.
McCaffery would be ok though a bit old. Same with Barron.

Coen is likely the guy.

The likely choice is usually what the weakling and loser GDF always does.

To me Coen is vanilla pudding and Northeatern has done OK, but that is another level of hoops, not saying BC is there now too!

I would rather have Joel and Ethan Coen

I understand WH Macy will be brought in as the "COOLER" to ice the other team when Coen takes over.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:44 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:They'd probably make more money than they invested in Pearl if this team was in the Top 25 every year. I wouldn't expect any of the financial geniuses running the AD to realize that though.

See that's what I don't get. If we hire a big name coach and achieve subsequent success: More people buy tickets, which means more donations, which means more $$$ (which is what this AD is all about, not winning championships).
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby janebc on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:47 pm

Shows how we are regressing in some respects. When Al was hired, he was an exciting up-and-comer, and everyone was excited to get him (just like Jags). Now we can just about figure that the most boring and least innovative candidate will get it.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:50 pm

Byrdcall J {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Stop talking about Keno Davis.

Keno Davis. Keno Davis. Keno Davis.

The Keno Davis Court at Steve Lappas Arena.

exalt
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:51 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:74, the flex is not the problem. Did you notice Xavier running multiple flex sets last night? I know people think it is a "high school" offense, but so is the motion and you never hear anyone complain about Duke.

If motion was your high school offense, your kids were too smart to be any good.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:74, the flex is not the problem. Did you notice Xavier running multiple flex sets last night? I know people think it is a "high school" offense, but so is the motion and you never hear anyone complain about Duke.

If motion was your high school offense, your kids were too smart to be any good.

I don't care if we run the flex, I don't care if we run the motion. The thing that bothers me about Al is how stubborn he is, quite simply, we don't have the personnel to run flex this year. We need a coach that doesn't just stick with one system, we need a coach that runs an offense that fits what players he has.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:58 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Tommy Amaker.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum