SKINNER GOES: POST WHO IS YOUR 1st PICK FOR COACH AND WHY?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

SKINNER GOES: POST WHO IS YOUR 1st PICK FOR COACH AND WHY?

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:49 am

Chris Mack..here is his bio again...I would pay him $3M and use Big Peter's and Angry Ty's tip money to juice the deal.

Since he is an Xavier Alum, first year, loyalty and all else he lives in area, wife deal, it will take at least $2.5M to $3.0M to get him.

MAKE THE IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE....GO FOR THE MACK TRUCK!!!! TAKE OFF THE RUBBER BAND LEAHY-HOO!

We all wanted Brian Kelly in 2009, Brain sent GDF a love note and $3M for 5 and we would have no SPAZOO CUSHION!!!

--- Caddy and I wanted Urban Meyer in 2003-2004---if you want a solid guy who can bring BC a National Title and a huge share of the NCAA Final Four $$$$$ pie----- and is one of the best College Sports JOB 1-10 guys on earth or Talent is Supreme and its RECRUITING!!!

.....then here is the guy and only huge $$$$$$ would pry this guy from Xavier and huge $$$$$ might not make a difference for this solid family man, and Xavier alum and pillar of the community...

One thing for sure...there ain't no dope smoking lazy out of shape losers on Xavier.
Chris Mack

Position:
Head Coach

Birthdate:
12/30/1969

Experience:
First Season

Alma Mater:
Xavier '92
Chris Mack Photo Gallery

Chris Mack, who is the 17th head coach in program history, was announced as head coach on April 15 and succeeds Sean Miller, who recently took over as Arizona's head coach. Mack spent the past five seasons as an assistant on Miller's staff here at Xavier.

Mack, a two-time team captain as a player at Xavier, is 39 years old and a 1992 Xavier University graduate with a degree in communication arts. Mack is the fifth Xavier alumnus out of 17 all-time head coaches to take over the Xavier men's basketball program and is the first since former XU team captain Don Ruberg spent four seasons at the helm from 1963-67. Joe Meyer (13 seasons from 1920-33), Ed Burns (one season in 1945-46) and Harry Gilligan (one season from 1919-20) are the other XU alums that have been named head coach.

Mack was XU's Director of Basketball Operations from 1999-2001 under the late former XU head coach Skip Prosser. Mack spent three seasons as an assistant coach at Wake Forest under Prosser from 2001-04. He returned to Xavier in 2004 as an assistant coach under Miller. During his 10 years on the staffs at Xavier and Wake, Mack coached on nine teams that made postseason play, including eight teams that made the NCAA Tournament field. Those eight NCAA teams made the NCAA Second Round three times (2002, 2003 and 2007), the NCAA Sweet 16 twice (2004 and 2009) and the NCAA Elite Eight once (2008).

"I am honored to be named the new head coach at Xavier University," said Mack. "I have a great love for Xavier, our loyal fans and the City of Cincinnati. I want to thank Fr. Graham, John Kucia and Mike Bobinski for believing in me and trusting in me to lead our basketball program. My time at Xavier under the leadership of the late Skip Prosser and Sean Miller has served me well and has prepared me for the challenge ahead. I have enjoyed being a part of our recent success and I am even more excited about Xavier's potential for the future as we continue to solidify ourselves as one of the elite programs in all of college basketball."

Mack has logged seven years on the basketball staff at Xavier, including five years under Miller and two under Prosser, helping XU make five NCAA Tournament appearances and an NIT. During these past five seasons while Mack was a Xavier assistant, the Musketeers compiled a 120-47 record that included four straight NCAA Tournament berths, three straight Atlantic 10 Conference Regular Season Championships (2009, 2008 and 2007) and an A-10 Tournament Championship (2006). XU has recorded four straight 20-win seasons, including 25 wins or more in each of the past three seasons. XU advanced to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 this past season (2009), the NCAA Elite Eight and a school record 30 wins in 2008 and the NCAA Second Round in 2007. XU made one NCAA Tournament (2001) and one NIT (2000) in Mack's two years on Prosser's Xavier staff, while compiling a combined 42-20 record.

While Mack was an assistant on Prosser's staff at Wake Forest, the Demon Deacons compiled a combined 67-29 record with the help of such stars as Josh Howard, Darius Songalia and Chris Paul. Wake made the NCAA Tournament Second Round in 2002 and 2003 and the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2004. The 2002-03 team finished 25-6 overall and 13-3 and in first place in the ACC for the first time since 1995. It was WFU's first outright ACC regular season title in 41 years.

Mack participated in Nike's 2008 Villa 7 Consortium. The Villa 7 Consortium selected and invited some of the top men's basketball assistant coaches from around the country to attend an educational symposium held on Nike's campus in Beaverton, Ore., in May, 2008. The two-day event featured some of the greatest minds in coaching and served as a networking opportunity, as several athletic directors were on hand throughout the course of the program. The chief goal of the symposium was to provide opportunities for assistant coaches, who are considered to be the very best in college basketball.

In 2007, Mack was named to the Rivals.com "Top 25 Assistant Coaches" list. The site referred to Mack as a "solid recruiter and an excellent teacher." The College Bound Hoops 2008 rankings (recruitingrumors.com) ranked Mack 19th in the nation among assistant coaches.

Mack started his coaching career as the head coach at Mount Notre Dame from 1995-1999 and was named the 1996 Cincinnati Post Coach of the Year.

Mack Was Also A Leader As A Player

Mack is a former local prep basketball standout who played college basketball for two seasons at the University of Evansville before transferring to Xavier to finish off his career and earn his undergraduate degree.

Mack had three years as a player under head coach Pete Gillen at Xavier, including the 1990-91 season when he sat out the games and just practiced due to transfer rules. Mack was voted team captain for the 1991-92 season before ever playing a game for the Musketeers. He unfortunately suffered a season-ending ACL injury to his left knee just eight seconds into Xavier's first exhibition game that season against CREA Club of Portugal (11-11-91) at Cincinnati Gardens. He suffered an ACL injury to his right knee during a summer league game prior to his senior season of 1992-93, keeping him out of game action until January. Mack was captain again for his senior season, though, playing in 21 games and averaging 5.2 minutes on a team that finished 24-6, won the MCC Regular Season Championship at 12-2 and reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Mack was a two-year starter for the Evansville Aces in the 1988-89 and 1989-90 seasons under UE head coach Jim Crews. He played six times against Xavier, averaging 10.7 ppg. and recording a 2-4 record against the Musketeers. One of his freshman highlights was a career-high five steals in an 88-82 win over Xavier at UE (2-16-89). Two of his best games during his sophomore year came against Xavier, including 20 points, 11 rebounds and four assists in a 59-51 upset win of the then-No. 20 Musketeers at UE (1-18-90). He scored 17 points later in the season in a 71-52 loss to the Musketeers at Cincinnati Gardens (2-15-90).

Mack played in 31 games, starting 18 times, and averaged 7.2 ppg. and 3.5 rpg. as a freshman in the 1988-89 season, helping Evansville to a 25-6 overall record, an MCC Regular Season Championship at 10-2 and a trip to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Mack played in 32 games, starting 26 times, and averaged 10.1 ppg. and 6.4 rpg. as a sophomore in the 1989-90 season while helping the Aces to a 17-15 overall mark and a 7-5 MCC record.

Mack was the 1987-88 Cincinnati Post Metro Player of the Year and Greater Cincinnati League Player of the Year at St. Xavier High School after averaging 25.0 points, 11.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 3.0 steals as a senior. He scored 35 points, grabbed 14 rebounds and had four blocks to lead the Bombers past Lexington (Ky.) Henry Clay in the Blue Chip City Basketball Invitational. He also played in the Ohio All-Star Game and the Ohio-Michigan all-star series.

After his graduation from Xavier in 1992, Mack played for Athletes in Action in 1993 and in Europe in 1994.

A Basketball Family Man

Mack was born December 30, 1969 in Cleveland, Ohio. He and his wife, Christi, live in Kentucky with their two-year-old daughter, Hailee, and their three-year-old daughter Lainee. Christi, the Director of Basketball Operations for Xavier University's women's basketball team from 2001-03, is now the head girls basketball coach at Colerain High School in Cincinnati.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Re: SKINNER GOES: POST WHO IS YOUR 1st PICK FOR COACH AND WHY?

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:14 am

Along similar lines, how about Brad Stevens? He just had the big win last night, would probably like to get out of the Horizon league.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:15 am

Jared Dudley
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:19 am

In all seriousness isn't X a better job than here?

1) They've been to the Sweet 16 the past 3 years (at this rate it would take Skinner 26 more years to do that). I know TWB: TEH TOURNEY IZZZ RANDOMM!! It says nothing about Skinner that he has never beaten a single digit seed in the tourney
2) Their arena is 25% larger than ours and they fill it consistently
3) Here basketball is the 3rd sport, at X it's the first and only
4) I'm sure he doesn't have Napoleon breathing down his neck.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:23 am

I don't want Xavier or Butler coaches. Neither have shown anything yet.

Pearl would be my first choice, but he is not coming.
McCaffery would be ok though a bit old. Same with Barron.

Coen is likely the guy.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:26 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:In all seriousness isn't X a better job than here?

1) They've been to the Sweet 16 the past 3 years (at this rate it would take Skinner 26 more years to do that). I know TWB: THE TOURNEY IZZZ RANDOMM!! It says nothing about Skinner that he has never beaten a single digit seed in the tourney
2) Their arena is 25% larger than ours and they fill it consistently
3) Here basketball is the 3rd sport, at X it's the first and only
4) I'm sure he doesn't have Napoleon breathing down his neck.

Absolutely!! Xavier is way better all around...but money $$$$$ talks and Mack Truck walks and drives BC.

Double up for thr Mack. BC is too stupid, too cheap, has no great athletic vision, St.John's land going to waste like BC has to sell it because some homo clergy might rectumize some kids again, and no re-tractable dome.

Since the day Bc was 8-0 in football and in the 2 seat in New Orleans....we have slide in both two glamour signature sports and we keep sliding...

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:35 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't want Xavier or Butler coaches. Neither have shown anything yet.

Coen is likely the guy.

The likely choice is usually what the weakling and loser GDF always does.

To me Coen is vanilla pudding and Northeatern has done OK, but that is another level of hoops, not saying BC is there now too!

I would rather have Joel and Ethan Coen.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:39 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't want Xavier or Butler coaches. Neither have shown anything yet.

Coen is likely the guy.

So you don't want Chris Mack becuase he hasn't shown anything yet, but Bill Coen is likely the guy? What exactly has Coen shown? A just over .500 record at Northeastern in 4 seasons?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:40 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I would rather have Joel and Ethan Coen.

A gem!

:bceagle74 :cheer :cheer :cheers :lol: :lol: :lol: :ganesh :bag :bag
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:40 am

What about 74's DREAM TEAM!!

Bob Knight -- Head Coach
Nolan Richardson -- Assistant Coach.

I could see GDF going to advise in practice about some issues -----and Bob throwing him off the Yawkey Roof for kicking some kids off the team for not going to class or preparation.

I could see Nolan Richardson yelling hands up, press and making them do 100 wind sprints after practice and ratsafarian green goop come flying outta their mouths and rectums and getting them in shape....

So many great coaches....Steve Alford.LOBOS..just look at the touney and others possibilities.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:40 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Coen is likely the guy.

So you don't want Chris Mack becuase he hasn't shown anything yet, but Bill Coen is likely the guy? What exactly has Coen shown? A just over .500 record at Northeastern in 4 seasons?

I don't think ATL stated whom he wants.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 am

Coen is likely the guy.

No one knows whether Pearl would want to come back to his alma mater or how much Gene would be willing to pay...saying he wouldn't come to BC is baseless speculation.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:45 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:saying he wouldn't come to BC is baseless speculation.

Saying that this is baseless speculation is baseless speculation.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCGoldenEagles on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:46 am

:seanwilliams
BCGoldenEagles
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:28 am

Let's not kid ourselves. It will be Coen.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:30 am

Give me Keno or give me death. or just NOT Skinner
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BC '00 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:34 am

Hiring Coen doesn't let GDF "put his stamp on the program". He's just as likely to go for someone who would "take the program in a new direction." Either a mid-major coach (what about Cornell's head coach?) or an NBA assistant? Does anyone ever hire NBA assistants as college head coaches? Or does that career path only really happen in football?
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:39 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I would rather have Joel and Ethan Coen.

A gem!

:bceagle74 :cheer :cheer :cheers :lol: :lol: :lol: :ganesh :bag :bag

So many great choices for the greatest University in the galaxy and why would you want Coen???

I may award myself another PHD soon from BC and a law degree too, but I hate lawyers and doctors.

WTF.

Looks good with all those letters I don't understand after my name.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:41 am

Coming up with a list of top and or promising coaches is an effing joke considering who we have as an AD. The search will be limited to O'Shea, Lappas, Coen, Cooley and Duquette. Done and done. You are a certifiable fool if you believe that GDF is going to offer someone the position who he doesn't have a previous relationship with.

Regardless of us having to (as Bobby Knight would say) "just sit back and enjoy it", I'll give some names that would normally be of interest in a normal coaching search for BC. (Note: Bruce Pearl is out of the question. Makes too much money and would have to compromise too much for the job.)

Jim Baron would be near the top of the list. Former head coach at the Bonnies (Jim O'Brien) and URI (Skinner). Has done very well with little and is extremely respected as a great BB mind.

Fran McCaffrey would be looked at as he is the hot name and is at a Catholic school. He has links to ACC territory (former head coach at UNC-Greensboro) and knows what its like to coach at a big time school (was an assistant and head recruiter for Notre Dame for few years).

Mark Few would be explored as well. He has spent his life in the Northwest, but supposedly is a religious man. BC would be his best shot to go big time, but still have that small school feel.

From the what ever happened to file... Matt Dougherty would kill for the job. Long Island guy who was wildly successful at ND. Recruited incredibly well at UNC, but then got run out by those players for running them into the ground. That tough style would be welcomed at BC. The biggest reason he wouldn't be really considered is that he has been pretty terrible over the past 4 years at SMU.

The coach I have always loved for BC is Lon Kruger. He has been a huge success at every stop in his career. He has dominated the SEC and Big Ten. Has tried (and failed) in the NBA and is seemingly biding time out in Vegas (for UNLV). By far the guy I would go out and hire. And, I think he would be very receptive for the chance to get himself back into the spotlight (i.e. the ACC) at school where there is no expectations and he can very quickly remake the roster.

For the record, when JOB left, my number one choice for the job was Phil Martelli.
Last edited by HJS on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:41 am

I would drive up to Knoxville tonight to help Pearl pack but I don't think he will come to BC. I don't know if we can offer the same money. I know he won't be able to recruit the same type of kids. He will also have to put up with GDFs BS. You would hope though that Bruce is a north east guy who would love to be up in a city again.

McCaffery and Barron are proven so I have no problems with them. I would much rather have Coen though over some wet behind the ears mid major kid. Coen's long tenure at BC counts for a lot in my book. He would be seemless in taking over and in my opinion has very good upside. My biggest concern with Coen would be our defense. It was bad when he was here and has been bad at Northeastern. The guy can recruit. He can sell. He can teach the flex. We will just have to keep out scoring people. Cooley wouldn't be bad either, but I bet Gene would go with Coen first.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 am

HJS, why do you keep mentioning Lappas?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:49 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:HJS, why do you keep mentioning Lappas?

Who was the head BB coach at Villanova when GDF was there? Since prior working relationship with our little Napoleon is a pre-req to being hired, Lappas has a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better chance of getting the position that a Jim Baron or Fran McCaffrey or Bruce Pearl or whoever else has been mentioned not named Cooley, Duquette, Coen and O'Shea.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Coming up with a list of top and or promising coaches is an effing joke considering who we have as an AD. The search will be limited to O'Shea, Lappas, Coen, Cooley and Duquette. Done and done. You are a certifiable fool if you believe that GDF is going to offer someone the position who he doesn't have a previous relationship with.

agree
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:51 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I would drive up to Knoxville tonight to help Pearl pack but I don't think he will come to BC. I don't know if we can offer the same money. I know he won't be able to recruit the same type of kids. He will also have to put up with GDFs BS. You would hope though that Bruce is a north east guy who would love to be up in a city again.

McCaffery and Barron are proven so I have no problems with them. I would much rather have Coen though over some wet behind the ears mid major kid. Coen's long tenure at BC counts for a lot in my book. He would be seemless in taking over and in my opinion has very good upside. My biggest concern with Coen would be our defense. It was bad when he was here and has been bad at Northeastern. The guy can recruit. He can sell. He can teach the flex. We will just have to keep out scoring people. Cooley wouldn't be bad either, but I bet Gene would go with Coen first.

Isn't this post the exact same problems we have now KOSS----I have been posting about Al being on 74 probation for 4 years, and wanting him fired 2 years ago and no one wanted Skinner fired except for maybe LOGO and ED---and now everyone is on my bandwagon I started just like TOBlunders back in August 2003??

You think the John Walls of this world with all that natural talent and ability and racehorse speed and explosive hops want to learn how to bounce pass 3X into the post like Hickory High School 1954 Indiana??

:74 :74 :74

BC has $1.5 BILLION....that is enough to hire me as AD!!

COEN = INSTANT FAILURE.

BC fans have this false perception about recruiting kids with low grades like our present set of Bong Heads are fucking brain surgeons and we can't get these kids..I say maybe just a few, but this recruiting myth at BC is the biggest bunch of bullshit ever...BC can get anyone....we just are fucking lazy losers...the standards have changed and we give them a chance to succeed since if they don't------ like Rose or Wall, they are in the NBA anyway???????

:74 :74

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Bernard Lonergan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:00 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Who was the head BB coach at Villanova when GDF was there? Since prior working relationship with our little Napoleon is a pre-req to being hired, Lappas has a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better chance of getting the position that a Jim Baron or Fran McCaffrey or Bruce Pearl or whoever else has been mentioned not named Cooley, Duquette, Coen and O'Shea.

Lappas is also a BC parent of a 2012 (coincidentally, Phil Martelli's daughter graduated in '09)

Speaking of coincidences, it's not one that the program has suffered since Coen and Cooley left. Duke's a good guy but hasn't had the support to pick up their slack. I think one of those 3 would have a good shot, and have to think GDF would first try Coen.
Bernard Lonergan
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:03 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

But, but, but...he subsequently couldn't do anything at Umass, which is well below BC. Hiring Lappas would be incomprehensible, even for this administration. In fact, you're the only one who repeatedly mentions him as a candidate.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:09 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

But, but, but...he subsequently couldn't do anything at Umass, which is well below BC. Hiring Lappas would be incomprehensible, even for this administration. In fact, you're the only one who repeatedly mentions him as a candidate.

Wait... Tim O'Shea going 1-27 at Bryant THIS FREAKING YEAR isn't worse??? Most have him in the top 3. Lappas sucks. Would much rather keep Al. But, I would keep Al over anyone who has a connection with GDF.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:11 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:...From the what ever happened to file... Matt Dougherty would kill for the job. Long Island guy who was wildly successful at ND. Recruited incredibly well at UNC, but then got run out by those players for running them into the ground. That tough style would be welcomed at BC. The biggest reason he wouldn't be really considered is that he has been pretty terrible over the past 4 years at SMU...

he's batshit crazy... like patches o'houlihan batshit crazy. this is an even worse suggestion than rat face lappas

I'm not saying BC would hire him in a normal search. I'm just saying I could see his name being floated... by HIMSELF. There is zero chance of it happening... not because he is looney tunes, but because he isn't winning. If he had SMU in the Sweet Sixteen, people would be begging for him to come here. Don't twist what I wrote... a normal AD would explore Baron, McCaffrey and Few and would hopefully hire Kruger.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:14 am

74, the flex is not the problem. Did you notice Xavier running multiple flex sets last night? I know people think it is a "high school" offense, but so is the motion and you never hear anyone complain about Duke.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:15 am

Please stop talking about Steve Lappas, that's all I ask.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum