Random baseless thought while wishful thinking

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Random baseless thought while wishful thinking

Postby auggiebc on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:44 pm

With St.Johns now looking for a coach, would they approach Skinner?

St.Johns will not want a newbie as a coach. It's a Big East job in NYC, they can't go with someone green.
At the same time, they're not gonna draw a hot coach from another power conference, it would be a step down for most.

But Al has the resume and the experience. And he doesn't have the ego that most HC's in power conference have. I would think this would be an enticing opportunity for Al to at least consider. And I think it woudl be a great hire for the Johnnies.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Re: Random baseless thought while wishful thinking

Postby Eagledom on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:46 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:With St.Johns now looking for a coach, would they approach Skinner?

St.Johns will not want a newbie as a coach. It's a Big East job in NYC, they can't go with someone green.
At the same time, they're not gonna draw a hot coach from another power conference, it would be a step down for most.

But Al has the resume and the experience. And he doesn't have the ego that most HC's in power conference have. I would think this would be an enticing opportunity for Al to at least consider. And I think it woudl be a great hire for the Johnnies.

St. John's would be a step down for anyone in the ACC. Unfortunately, I can't see it happening.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:48 pm

I like where your head's at, but I believe SJU wants someone who keeps the NYC kids at home. Not one who brings them in from Texas, Cali, New Orleans, Michigan...and none of the quality recruits in his own area. And Al has no NYC connections that I know of. Maybe he bought a suit there once before he upgraded to ECOW.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:48 pm

A step down. Yes and No. It's a chance to coach in NYC in a power conference. There is a lot of potenial in that type of position.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Eagledom on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:51 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:A step down. Yes and No. It's a chance to coach in NYC in a power conference. There is a lot of potenial in that type of position.

Yeah, but BC has just as much to offer and it's not in the rebuilding position that St. John's is (well, not yet, but Skinner is taking it in that direction).
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:52 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:A step down. Yes and No. It's a chance to coach in NYC in a power conference. There is a lot of potenial in that type of position.

It's a step up! As we have seen in the past couple of days, the Big East is the best conference in America!
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby auggiebc on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:56 pm

I just listened to an interview with the St.John's AD on WFAN in NY. He said the 2 major traits he is looking for in a new coach:

1) previous success at a high collegiate level.
2) familiar with NYC

In other words, he's not going after the Travis Ford's of the world.

Skinner fits.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:57 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:I just listened to an interview with the St.John's AD on WFAN in NY. He said the 2 major traits he is looking for in a new coach:

2) familiar with NYC

Skinner fits.

Maybe I'll look stupid for asking this, but why is #2 a fit? His teams have played at MSG. So what? Uka and Harley? Is that it?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:08 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:I just listened to an interview with the St.John's AD on WFAN in NY. He said the 2 major traits he is looking for in a new coach:

2) familiar with NYC

Skinner fits.

Maybe I'll look stupid for asking this, but why is #2 a fit? His teams have played at MSG. So what? Uka and Harley? Is that it?

good point. i'm reaching with that. but he did grow up near the bronx. and he's familiar with the northeast obviously. and the big east. i'm reaching, i know. hence the title of the post....wishful thinking.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:14 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

2) familiar with NYC

Skinner fits.

good point. i'm reaching with that. but he did grow up near the bronx. and he's familiar with the northeast obviously. and the big east. i'm reaching, i know. hence the title of the post....wishful thinking.

Just as an FYI Long Island is nowhere near the Bronx.
On edit do you think that St. John's of the Jamaica section of Queens is in the Bronx? Technically you would be right that Skinner grew up closer to Queens. Fordham of the Bronx is also looking for a new coach. :ace
Last edited by Logitano on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:19 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:and who, pray tell, will :pickle replace him with. i know this is a "wishful thinking" thread... but some basis of reality is necesary

I hope he brings the chick with him. :chewbanka
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:21 pm

I'd love be a fly on the wall for a Gene-Bruce Pearl interview:

Gene: Ummm, yeah. We couldn't run an ad that said no Jews, but ummm...no Jews.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby auggiebc on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Log,
I thought he grew up in Mt Vernon. Which borders the Bronx. I guess I'm wrong.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:28 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:Log,
I thought he grew up in Mt Vernon. Which borders the Bronx. I guess I'm wrong.

Skinner is a long island guy out of Malvern High School. He was born in mount vernon. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:31 pm

The Bronx is .44 miles from Long Island.

If you don't count Queens as part of Long Island, the distance increases by a mile.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:13 am

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:The Bronx is .44 miles from Long Island.

If you don't count Queens as part of Long Island, the distance increases by a mile.

Other than you I am not sure anyone else counts Queens a bourough of New York City as part of Long Island. If you have ever driven from the Bronx to Long Island it is a quite a long trip away but you are a wealthy BC person and must travel by yacht which obviously is much faster and more efficient. Is the Bronx now considered part of Westchester? They are next to each other. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:25 am

from wikipedia: "Long Island is an island located in southeastern New York, United States, just east of Manhattan. Stretching northeast into the Atlantic Ocean, Long Island contains four counties, two of which are boroughs (Queens and Brooklyn) of New York City, and two of which (Nassau and Suffolk) are mainly suburban."
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:06 am

lots of hype in NY that the Johnnies should go after Billy Donovan. He's from Long Island. How close is that to the Bronx?
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:11 am

Why are you guys focusing on where Al is from? Familiarity with NYC is more than where he was a toddler and went to his first box social. It's much more important to have connections through recruiting there and have recruited heavily there at some point in time. Please continue Mapquesting distances between boroughs and counties though - it's really helpful to the discussion. :81
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:and who, pray tell, will :pickle replace him with. i know this is a "wishful thinking" thread... but some basis of reality is necesary

I hope he brings the chick with him. :chewbanka

...and leaves the son in Knoxville.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Bruce Pearl.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:41 am

whoever the coach of Northern Iowa is.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:51 am

I am envious of Northern Iowa. Imagine being able to reach the Sweet 16 in the NCAA's? And doing so by beating a team you aren't supposed to beat? oh, the joy that was 1994.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:00 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:St. John's would be a step down for anyone in the ACC.

from the NY Post today:

"If Donovan elects to remain at Florida, where he has established a basketball tradition at a football school, St. John's likely will turn its attention to Georgia Tech's Paul Hewitt, Virginia Tech's Seth Greenberg and Hofstra's Tom Pecora"
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:11 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:

I would laugh and laugh if this happened, since people constantly complain about the fan-unfriendly style of basketball Al's teams play.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:27 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:

I would laugh and laugh if this happened, since people constantly complain about the fan-unfriendly style of basketball Al's teams play.

I have no idea who he is or what style he plays. it was more or less tongue in cheek.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:56 am

What about Mike Rice from RMU? Sure they didn't beat Villanova but it was more the fault of the refs. Recruits well for a small conference team and has put up some results. It sucks that Al isn't leaving this year because there are some great coaches that will probably move this year, with less moving in some upcoming years. What about Cornell's head coach? He's done a great job even with extremely tough academic requirements. There just have to be some good coaches out there who would prefer to be coaching in the ACC than wherever they are now. And that doesn't even count the mediocre coaches that could outcoach Al.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:01 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:What about Mike Rice from RMU? Sure they didn't beat Villanova but it was more the fault of the refs. Recruits well for a small conference team and has put up some results. It sucks that Al isn't leaving this year because there are some great coaches that will probably move this year, with less moving in some upcoming years. What about Cornell's head coach? He's done a great job even with extremely tough academic requirements. There just have to be some good coaches out there who would prefer to be coaching in the ACC than wherever they are now. And that doesn't even count the mediocre coaches that could outcoach Al.

There are a couple of trendy mid-majors every year. Some of the coaches move on and do well (Self, Pearl) while some of them end up sucking (Stan Heath, Todd Lickliter). We'll have plenty of options whenever Al is no longer around.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby shockdoct on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:13 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:I am envious of Northern Iowa. Imagine being able to reach the Sweet 16 in the NCAA's? And doing so by beating a team you aren't supposed to beat? oh, the joy that was 1994.

Don't be silly, BC sports did not exist before TOB/AL
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:44 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:they existed... they were just too small for rand mcnally to recognize them

Screw those jerks. They wear hats on their feet, and get eaten by hamburgers.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum