Tourney/Academics blahh...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Tourney/Academics blahh...

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:40 pm

first apologies if i missed this elsewhere.

I was in the car for most of the day today and listening to several different sports radio channels/hosts. They were universally adamantly against obama's secretary of educations proposal that teams with sub 40% grad. rates not make the tourney.

personally, i could give less of a shit about these kids' academics. While its occasionally frustrating as a fan of a school like bc who often does things the right way(relatively) and as a result is precluded from many of the drooling gloids that populate division one athletics. Realistically i just don't find it to be such a big deal. Additionally, it seems a dumb and inappropriate thing for the govt. to involve itself in and if a semi talented moron gets a free 150k+ ride to a college he's got no business attending and blows the ride well then, too bad for him.

however, that said i couldn't figure out why it seemed like there was a strange degree of wagon circling going on amongst the sports media, like they were protecting their cash cow. would it really harm the tournament's viewership to not have a bunch of one year assholes like john wall? The consensus argument was that the tourney is all about money, so it wouldn't be fair to penalize schools for not having academic requirements. That makes no sense to me, and is kind of repugnant.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Return to Conte Forum