Womens BBall coach turns down WNIT bid

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Womens BBall coach turns down WNIT bid

Postby FSUeagle on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:13 pm

... and some seniors are apparently not too happy about it. Per Ayla Brown, "To everyone who's wondering: our coach has declined our invitation to play in the wnit. As a senior it would have been nice to know this beforehand to know it was my last game. I'm disgusted."

Apparently the coach, whoever she is, did not consult the players. Shitty move on the coach's part.
FSUeagle
n00b

Re: Womens BBall coach turns down WNIT bid

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:31 pm

That is odd. Maybe GDF didn't want to do it for financial reasons. From a financial perspective, I'm sure it's a negative. But, there is more to college than dollars. They earned a bid and they should take it. This is sadly a reminder of ND turning down its bowl offer. There has to be a story behind this turn down. My guess is we learn more about it over the coming days.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Out of protest for not making NCAAs? Apparently according to women's Lunardi we were the first out, my roommate told me, didn't know he was into the nags.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:12 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Out of protest for not making NCAAs? Apparently according to women's Lunardi we were the first out, my roommate told me, didn't know he was into the nags.

It would be pretty stupid if that was the reason why. IIRC we were only like 3 or 4 games over .500.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:52 am

Well, Ayla, maybe your team should have played better the last 10 games of the season.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:20 am

This is clowneriffic on multiple levels.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:49 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:in other news, the men's bball team turned down invitations to all men's tournaments schiano style (i.e. preemptively)

I'm perfectly fine with this as a fan. It just would have pissed me off more to see us lose to George Mason or whatever awful mid-major team we would have played.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:21 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:in other news, the men's bball team turned down invitations to all men's tournaments schiano style (i.e. preemptively)

I'm perfectly fine with this as a fan. It just would have pissed me off more to see us lose to George Mason or whatever awful mid-major team we would have played.

um... they didn't get invited to anything. you know, because they're terrible

Ayla is right it would have been nice for her and the rest of the seniors to go out in a post-season tourney. Maybe the coach was trying to send a message to her team that it’s the NCAA Tourney or bust. I blame GDF for being cheap, in general not just because of the WNIT. Last year’s women’s team went all the way to the semi-finals of the NIT. I would think the coach would give the upper-class players a chance to try win it again, and for the younger players gain tournament experience, plus bring attention to the team.

The problem with the Men’s team is they wanted to live up to their coach’s reputation for being “one or two and done Al”………that being said, their one tourney this year ended up being the Paradise one in the Virgin Islands, so they lost to St Joe’s and Northern Iowa just to seal the deal :suicide
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:24 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

um... they didn't get invited to anything. you know, because they're terrible

Do we really officially know we didn't get invited to the CBI and Skinner told them forget it?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:42 pm

Difference between her and Al is that this coach is going out and recruiting...3 top 100 players next year including # 10 and the # 7 in 2011 already committed...I might just switch to womens basketball...on second thought....naaaa
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:Difference between her and Al is that this coach is going out and recruiting...3 top 100 players next year including # 10 and the # 7 in 2011 already committed...I might just switch to womens basketball...on second thought....naaaa

the #7 recruit is from CA making it even more impressive. Why cant the mens team do this...(Al Skinner)
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm

bcbcbcbcbc4444 {l Wrote}:
Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:Difference between her and Al is that this coach is going out and recruiting...3 top 100 players next year including # 10 and the # 7 in 2011 already committed...I might just switch to womens basketball...on second thought....naaaa

the #7 recruit is from CA making it even more impressive. Why cant the mens team do this...(Al Skinner)

3 top 100 players. I had no idea, and don't care about women's hoops, but for everyone that says BC has recruiting disadvantegs - if the women can get players like this, the men's team should b able to also....if we had a coach that could actually recruit, that is.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

3 top 100 players. I had no idea, and don't care about women's hoops, but for everyone that says BC has recruiting disadvantegs - if the women can get players like this, the men's team should b able to also....if we had a coach that could actually recruit, that is.

Not defending this year's lack of results, but if you guys think that Women's Basketball recruiting and Men's Basketball recruiting are equivalent, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Last edited by bignick33 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:48 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Not defending this year's lack of results, but if you guys think that Women's Basketball recruiting and Men's Basketball recruiting are ecquivalent, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Yeah, this could be the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard OJ say.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:53 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Not defending this year's lack of results, but if you guys think that Women's Basketball recruiting and Men's Basketball recruiting are equivalent, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Not saying they are "equivalent".
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:54 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

:backpedal
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

:backpedal

Not quite. There are differences in recruiting in mens vs womens hoops and differences in what a lot of the elite recruits are looking for in a school. But if the women's team can get 3 of the top 100 recruits in the country and 2 of the top 10, there's no reason Al shouldn't be able to get better recruits than we have over the past 6 years....the school has enough seeling points to get high quality recruits. Easier in women's hoops? Maybe. But these selling points are enough to bring better men's hoops recruits to BC, too.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Recruiting for WBB and MBB have absolutely nothing in common. Nags, no matter where they go, know it's the end of the line for them (WNBA is ghey). They use the scholarship for education. Guys, especially those who come to ACC, are using the scholarship to make the NBA.

And that's just the beginning of the differences.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:16 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Recruiting for WBB and MBB have absolutely nothing in common. Nags, no matter where they go, know it's the end of the line for them (WNBA is ghey). They use the scholarship for education. Guys, especially those who come to ACC, are using the scholarship to make the NBA.

This.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:16 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Recruiting for WBB and MBB have absolutely nothing in common. Nags, no matter where they go, know it's the end of the line for them (WNBA is ghey). They use the scholarship for education. Guys, especially those who come to ACC, are using the scholarship to make the NBA.

You still have to seel the school regardless. Assuming he qualifies for BC, there's nothing stopping a kid from going to the NBA if he plays at BC. BC can sell the ACC and the exposure it brings to high profile recruits. Al just can't recruit.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

You still have to seel the school regardless. Assuming he qualifies for BC, there's nothing stopping a kid from going to the NBA if he plays at BC. BC can sell the ACC and the exposure it brings to high profile recruits. Al just can't recruit.

other than the whole "academic trying" thing, you're on to something. schools have similar selling points to men AND women... ON THE MOON

Selling points are selling points. ACC, location, reputation, academics, etc. The fact is, BC should be able to recruit better than we do, but Al refuses to sell the school....he just won't do it. There are PLENTY of schools with high academic standards that do well in hoops, so while that may be a disadvantage, its not an excuse. And of course men and women's hoops recruiting is different, but many of the selling points are similar. The main difference is that 18 year guys aspire to be in the NBA and the women don't have that....but that doesn't put BC at a disadvantage (or at least it shouldn't).

And if you take a look at the men's and women's top 25 in hoops, there are MANY similar schools on both lists every year, usually because women's hoops success follows men's...but women's hoops at BC is apparently getting the recruits without the help of Al doing shit.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

other than the whole "academic trying" thing, you're on to something. schools have similar selling points to men AND women... ON THE MOON

Selling points are selling points. ACC, location, reputation, academics, etc. The fact is, BC should be able to recruit better than we do, but Al refuses to sell the school....he just won't do it. There are PLENTY of schools with high academic standards that do well in hoops, so while that may be a disadvantage, its not an excuse. And of course men and women's hoops recruiting is different, but many of the selling points are similar. The main difference is that 18 year guys aspire to be in the NBA and the women don't have that....but that doesn't put BC at a disadvantage (or at least it shouldn't).

And if you take a look at the men's and women's top 25 in hoops, there are MANY similar schools on both lists every year, usually because women's hoops success follows men's...but women's hoops at BC is apparently getting the recruits without the help of Al doing shit.

What are you fucking crazy? Academics is the opposite of a selling point.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Not only are academics a negative selling point for a school...but opposing coaches will and do use it against us.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:There are PLENTY of schools with high academic standards that do well in hoops

name them.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:There are PLENTY of schools with high academic standards that do well in hoops

name them.

Duke
Georgetown
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame
UCLA
USC
Cal
Michigan
UNC
Wake Forest

All of these schools are ranked ahead of BC in the latest US News and World Reports.
Last edited by branchinator on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:05 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

name them.

Duke
Georgetown
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame
UCLA
USC
Michigan
UNC
Wake Forest

All of these schools are ranked ahead of BC in the latest US News and World Reports.

First of all, I think you need to throw out any state school. Second of all: Georgetown and USC? LOL! Literacy is not a requirement to play basketball at those two schools.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:07 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

name them.

Duke
Georgetown
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame
UCLA
USC
Michigan
UNC
Wake Forest

First of all, I think you need to throw out any state school. Second of all: Georgetown and USC? LOL! Literacy is not a requirement to play basketball at those two schools.

Have you ever heard of Scoonie Penn? He couldn't read or write, yet, was admitted to BC.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Fine. I'll add another. Andrew Bryant. He was in my orientation and was probably the dumbest person I encountered at BC. He was kind of funny though.

My whole point is that academics at BC certainly don't help the cause of recruiting, and they definitely rule us out for some of the John Wall types that we'd never land anyways, but they are an incredibly weak crutch to use when defending Skinner's recruiting efforts. If Wake Forest can get great talent, why can't BC? If Villanova can do it, why can't BC?
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:36 pm

FSUeagle {l Wrote}:... and some seniors are apparently not too happy about it. Per Ayla Brown, "To everyone who's wondering: our coach has declined our invitation to play in the wnit. As a senior it would have been nice to know this beforehand to know it was my last game. I'm disgusted."

Apparently the coach, whoever she is, did not consult the players. Shitty move on the coach's part.

I held my temper but I have a theory. Of course my detractors will say I am far off, but I know women and spotlights and Ayla was playing much better and was not getting more time.

Lots of teams don't make the NCAA, but as a reward for the Seniors and more practice time amd playing time for the kids next year the NIT is great. It si super ecpperience for next years team.

Plus a series of wins and you go to NY.

Ayla Brwon was the show drawing card and was getting less playing time and Sylvia Crawley, no matter her recruiting, was selfish and disrepectful to her players, her team and the greatest University in the Galaxy.

This was all about Sylvia and she realized if Ayla go to NYC and she is a budding persona and star and her Dad just scorched the Messiah, I am betting knowing female drama queens and the spotlight, that Sylvia just pulled the plug in a baby maker fit and she is DISGUSTIAD.

Recruiting is one thing....Roy Williams disease is another....We shall see at BC, but this move was a fucking disgrace.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:04 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Fine. I'll add another. Andrew Bryant. He was in my orientation and was probably the dumbest person I encountered at BC. He was kind of funny though.

My whole point is that academics at BC certainly don't help the cause of recruiting, and they definitely rule us out for some of the John Wall types that we'd never land anyways, but they are an incredibly weak crutch to use when defending Skinner's recruiting efforts. If Wake Forest can get great talent, why can't BC? If Villanova can do it, why can't BC?

both won national championships prior to the one-and-done philosophy that is college basketball today and therefore have a "name" moreso than bc does

to not acknowledge that al has more hurdles than most coaches is just as short sighted as claiming he could NEVER recruit well here because we only take 4.0 mensa students. i think he does the best that he can (or used to before all his "recruiting based" assistants left). to think that anyone is going to walk in and change recruiting in a pitino/williams/huggins way is only fooling themselves.

sure - that may be a little "we are what we are" - but its true as long as we have napolean thinking only about football, students thinking only of gpa and saving the rainforests, and players thinking only about :seanwilliams

I readily agree that Al Skinner has more hurdles to go through than most other coaches. What I'm not willing to agree with is that this is a good enough excuse to have mediocre recruiting results. The main problem with Skinner is that he recruits with the same effort as a coach at a school that HAS won a recent national title. The recruits don't come to BC. We have to go out and get them so Skinner's "cool if you want to come / who gives a shit if you don't" routine doesn't work.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum