Uconn Women

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Uconn Women

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:33 am

There was a debate on the radio this morning about the Uconn women's team and how they would do against a lower level men's team. Basically one guy was saying they would get trounced by any men's team from Division II or Division III, short of a D III program that didn't have a real team and pulled some kid in from a chemistry lab to run the point. The other guy thought they would be able to play with a middle of the road DII or DIII team. It was an interesting discussion and I know people here are never short on opinions.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Re: Uconn Women

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 am

The UConn Women's team could give my college team at Colby a game I think. If you go much higher than that though (DII or DI) and they'd get beat by a fair amount I think.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:33 am

Any reasonable men's team--D3 included (and possibly even high school)--would handle the UConn women with ease. My brother played upper-level D3 ball, and in every game, pretty much everyone on the court taller than 6'2" could dunk easily. There are like five women in the whole country who can dunk at all. The difference in physical ability is enormous. Even if the women had superior skills (the only possible argument), centers in the women's game are about the size of the average small forward on the men's side. And maybe 10% as athletic.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:43 am

I really hate these types of discussions. It seems that every couple of years, people ponder what would happen if the best college football team played the worst NFL team. I'd actually like to that matchup take place to shut people up.

A good boy's high school basketball team should be able to beat UConn's women's basketball team.
Last edited by EaglesTalon on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:43 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Any reasonable men's team--D3 included (and possibly even high school)--would handle the UConn women with ease. My brother played upper-level D3 ball, and in every game, pretty much everyone on the court taller than 6'2" could dunk easily. There are like five women in the whole country who can dunk at all. The difference in physical ability is enormous. Even if the women had superior skills (the only possible argument), centers in the women's game are about the size of the average small forward on the men's side. And maybe 10% as athletic.

I'd even bet some top high school teams (i.e. St. Anthony's in Jersey, Norcross (Ga.) and other places) could beat them. There are high school teams that have monsters for athletes. How tall is the tallest player on UConn- 6'6''? Some high school teams play 3 players in their starting lineups and have two coming of the bench who are bigger than that.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:45 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Any reasonable men's team--D3 included (and possibly even high school)--would handle the UConn women with ease. My brother played upper-level D3 ball, and in every game, pretty much everyone on the court taller than 6'2" could dunk easily. There are like five women in the whole country who can dunk at all. The difference in physical ability is enormous. Even if the women had superior skills (the only possible argument), centers in the women's game are about the size of the average small forward on the men's side. And maybe 10% as athletic.

Actually the tallest woman on Uconn is 6'4. They have a 6'4, a 6'3 a 6'2 and a 6'0. And they are the best team in the country.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Heights on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:57 am

They would have trouble even getting shots off against a decent high school team or just advancing the ball, nevermind being physically overmatched. Even that Mya Moore, who is some sort of star is a 6' 0" forward I believe. I just wish ESPN would stop with the women's scores on the ticker. You glance down at a score but then have to look for NCAAM or NCAAW. It's insane.
"We have everyone on our 2010 schedule but the New England Patriots"

Frank Spaziani
Heights
n00b

Postby apbc12 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Actually the tallest woman on Uconn is 6'4. They have a 6'4, a 6'3 a 6'2 and a 6'0. And they are the best team in the country.

My point exactly. The best five women players on the planet would lose to this year's BC starting five--by a lot.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Heights {l Wrote}:They would have trouble even getting shots off against a decent high school team or just advancing the ball, nevermind being physically overmatched near the basket. Even that Mya Moore, who is some sort of machine is a 6' 0" forward I believe. I just wish ESPN would stop with the women's scores on the ticker. You glance down at a score but then have to look for NCAAM or NCAAW. It's insane.

hell, I even wish they'd keep men's basketball games off the ticker until conference play starts. Every year, in November, I look at the ticker during a football game and say out loud "holy, shit, I know {Insert Conference Here} isn't known for stellar defense, but that's ridiculous" only to realize that basketball season has just started.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Heights {l Wrote}:They would have trouble even getting shots off against a decent high school team or just advancing the ball, nevermind being physically overmatched. Even that Mya Moore, who is some sort of star is a 6' 0" forward I believe. I just wish ESPN would stop with the women's scores on the ticker. You glance down at a score but then have to look for NCAAM or NCAAW. It's insane.

They should at least put the women's scores in pink
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby chuckfrombc on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:53 pm

Just think what would have happened to BC if we had not rejected Willie's kid because our staff believed she was too fat to play here -- so she went to UCONN. Our bad -- but consistent with our admin's plan for mediocrity.
chuckfrombc
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:06 pm

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:Just think what would have happened to BC if we had not rejected Willie's kid because our staff believed she was too fat to play here -- so she went to UCONN. Our bad -- but consistent with our admin's plan for mediocrity.

What (or who) the fuck are you talking about?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:06 pm

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:Just think what would have happened to BC if we had not rejected Willie's kid because our staff believed she was too fat to play here -- so she went to UCONN. Our bad -- but consistent with our admin's plan for mediocrity.

Are you really lamenting the loss of a female basketball recruit?
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:43 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about how great geno is - bc should back up the brinks truck and bring him in to replace skinner. The other day his team was up big at halftime vs. West Virginia, sideline reporter asks how they built such a lead with their two best players struggling, and he responded with something like "west virginia must be playing really poorly, because honestly I can't think of anything we're doing well."

that sounds a whole lot better than "we're up, aren't we?".
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:50 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I thought this thread was going to be about how great geno is - bc should back up the brinks truck and bring him in to replace skinner. The other day his team was up big at halftime vs. West Virginia, sideline reporter asks how they built such a lead with their two best players struggling, and he responded with something like "west virginia must be playing really poorly, because honestly I can't think of anything we're doing well."

that sounds a whole lot better than "we're up, aren't we?".

sounds more like jags blaming the long snapper at halftime of the 2007 ACC championship game. That was one of the classiest moves ever.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Please.....even if they all had coordinated PMS, a good HS Team would kill them anyway.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby chuckfrombc on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 am

Kara Wolters -- she was denied a scholarship at BC because she was too fat even though she was 6' 7" and came from a basketball family. She went on to star at UCONN (1997 player of the year). We didn't want her even though her father played for BC (Willie, BC Hall of Fame) and was one of the best shot blockers we ever had here.
chuckfrombc
Carney Hall

Postby angryty on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:25 pm

The nag ball proponents do realize that Geno, before the NCAA ruled that it was illegal, used to prep his girls by having them scrimmage men's intermural teams at UCONN and that the team that had Rebecca Lobo and was, at the time, considered the greatest nag ball team in history (went undefeated) was routinely smoked like the Washington Generals by the intermural teams. Another anecdote, a friend of mine who was a fairly mediocre basketball player once played a 1 on 1 game against Sara Behn--probably the best player ever at BC. He smoked her. Another, who was absolutely retarded awful lost to her by a basket and is still mercilessly ridiculed for it today. The fact is, your average male high school basketball player is every bit the equal of the best nag players.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:25 pm

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:Kara Wolters -- she was denied a scholarship at BC because she was too fat even though she was 6' 7" and came from a basketball family. She went on to star at UCONN (1997 player of the year). We didn't want her even though her father played for BC (Willie, BC Hall of Fame) and was one of the best shot blockers we ever had here.

And you still lament this fact?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby chuckfrombc on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Lament? What is kind of post is that. We have missed many good athletes in all sports. I'm used to it.

What surprised me is that so many folks didn't know who Willie or his daughter was considering what terrific athletes both were.
chuckfrombc
Carney Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:18 pm

When I was in middle school my 7th-8th grade team used to scrimmage the high school varsity girls team. I will fully admit that I was a very mediocre player and our team was kind of lousy, but our girls' team went to the PA state championship game one of those two years. I used to have to match up with this girl:

http://www.friars.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/freeburg_brooke00.html

She was a big-time player in PA that year, but I think in three scrimmages she scored two baskets on me, and as I stated, this is not me saying that I was any good - it's just a different sport for men and women.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:33 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:When I was in middle school my 7th-8th grade team used to scrimmage the high school varsity girls team. I will fully admit that I was a very mediocre player and our team was kind of lousy, but our girls' team went to the PA state championship game one of those two years. I used to have to match up with this girl:

http://www.friars.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/freeburg_brooke00.html

She was a big-time player in PA that year, but I think in three scrimmages she scored two baskets on me, and as I stated, this is not me saying that I was any good - it's just a different sport for men and women.

We did something similar when I was in middle school. When I was in 8th grade, the girls' team at the Catholic high school won the state title easily, and had four girls go on to play major conference D1 ball. A bunch more played either small-college D1 or D2 and D3. We played them four or five times before the season. Half of our team had barely hit puberty, and we won by at least 50 in every scrimmage. I was a benchwarmer who didn't hit 5'10" until my sophomore year of high school, and in one of the games I lit up the girl that ended up being the state championship MVP for 20-something points in a quarter.

Yes, that's right--one of my career highlights as a basketball player is dominating a good girls' player. I'm awesome. :chewbanka
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:32 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:that's all well and good, but let's get down to what we're all interested in...

did you hit her (in the shitter?)

She looks much more attractive in that picture than in person, so YES.

no, actually.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:that's all well and good, but let's get down to what we're all interested in...

did you hit her (in the shitter?)

She looks much more attractive in that picture than in person, so YES.

no, actually.

Did you dunk on her while wearing a hockey jersey?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Return to Conte Forum