ACC Tourney

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

ACC Tourney

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:23 am

Is anyone going or are we going to have a couple of dozen BC fans like usual?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Re: ACC Tourney

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:44 am

Why would anyone go? They have it at the same time as the Big East Tournament, which everyone knows is so much more super-awesome. ;)
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:10 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i am 45 minutes away and i will not attend because the acc = awful this year

If you enjoy college basketball the conference tournament is a good take even in a down year. There are still 7 of 12 teams that will likely be in the NCAA tourney.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:22 am

This team can barely draw 1000 with many of the no shows already paying for their tickets, I doubt people will o to NC for this team.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:42 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i am 45 minutes away and i will not attend because the acc = awful this year

If you enjoy college basketball the conference tournament is a good take even in a down year. There are still 7 of 12 teams that will likely be in the NCAA tourney.

i'll take the under. what sort of stakes are we talking?

Just basing it on what Lunardi had yesterday. GT is the only one of the 7 that's really a question at this point.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:21 am

I bet there are under ten people who leave Massachusetts to go down to Carolina for a game. We may get some fans from the area, but you can count on two hands the amount of people (not related to the players) who will fly to see one game.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:26 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I bet there are under ten people who leave Massachusetts to go down to Carolina for a game. We may get some fans from the area, but you can count on two hands the amount of people (not related to the players) who will fly to see one game.

I guess I am in the minority.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Ohioeagle on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:34 am

Culturally, it is a much bigger deal down there. School kids watching it during class with school consent. For years, this tournament decided who went to the NCAA tournament, and if memory serves me correct, it is partly why Frank McGuire pulled South Carolina out of the ACC almost 40 years ago.

Regardless, if time permits, I will hop over to a close by sports bar at about 1:00 for a late lunch to catch the second half. It is the end of the season, and the beginning of one and done for the Old School. Nothing to hold back for, especially with the potential to rotate 10, and certainly, nothing else to lose. All secret strategies and weapons are unleashed (LOL)!
Ohioeagle
Carney Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:45 am

Ohioeagle {l Wrote}:Culturally, it is a much bigger deal down there. School kids watching it during class with school consent. For years, this tournament decided who went to the NCAA tournament, and if memory serves me correct, it is partly why Frank McGuire pulled South Carolina out of the ACC almost 40 years ago.

Regardless, if time permits, I will hop over to a close by sports bar at about 1:00 for a late lunch to catch the second half. It is the end of the season, and the beginning of one and done for the Old School. Nothing to hold back for, especially with the potential to rotate 10, and certainly, nothing else to lose. All secret strategies and weapons are unleashed (LOL)!

Last game of the year, Brent. Can't hold anything back now!
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:I bet there are under ten people who leave Massachusetts to go down to Carolina for a game. We may get some fans from the area, but you can count on two hands the amount of people (not related to the players) who will fly to see one game.

I went to the tourney in tampa and I am surprised more BC whalepants don't go more often as it is really their type of crowd.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:20 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

I went to the tourney in tampa and I am surprised more BC whalepants don't go more often as it is really their type of crowd.

Agreed. In 2007 BC had a very respectable crowd. FSU's and Carolina's fans dominated in terms of numbers, but BC had as many as much any other fanbase. It might have had something to do with Maryland and Dook getting knocked out on Thursday, but we certainly showed up in respectable numbers, compared to the other fanbases. What was more interesting is that our fans was far and away the youngest with lots of students and young alums but not too many whalepants. Virtually every other fanbase there, partcularly those from the NC schools, were dominated by crusty old rich guys.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:34 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Agreed. In 2007 BC had a very respectable crowd. FSU's and Carolina's fans dominated in terms of numbers, but BC had as many as much any other fanbase. It might have had something to do with Maryland and Dook getting knocked out on Thursday, but we certainly showed up in respectable numbers, compared to the other fanbases. What was more interesting is that our fans was far and away the youngest with lots of students and young alums but not too many whalepants. Virtually every other fanbase there, partcularly those from the NC schools, were dominated by crusty old rich guys.

I have been to the touney in Tampa, Charlotte and Atlanta. If I recall corectly in 2007 BC only got a 2/3 allottment of tickets. We were better represented than usual, but not sure I'd say we had as many as any other fanbase.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby screagle on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:43 pm

i went to tampa and atlanta. the thought hasn't even crossed my mind this year. tampa was the best venue... great weather and lots of places to cause trouble at close to the arena.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:46 pm

screagle {l Wrote}:i went to tampa and atlanta. the thought hasn't even crossed my mind this year. tampa was the best venue... great weather and lots of places to cause trouble at close to the arena.

Tampa did a great job hosting. For shame that the North Carolina cabal insisted that it occur in NC as often as possible.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:51 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
screagle {l Wrote}:i went to tampa and atlanta. the thought hasn't even crossed my mind this year. tampa was the best venue... great weather and lots of places to cause trouble at close to the arena.

Tampa did a great job hosting. For shame that the North Carolina cabal insisted that it occur in NC as often as possible.

I agree Tampa was a good venue. I'll withhold judgement since I have not been to Greensboro yet. I'll let you know how they do.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:33 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

In the end it will never be in Tampa again for the same reason that the ACC Championship game is headed to Charlotte, lack of "local" interest and the dependence on people making the trek down to Tampa.

I know the old timers complained of the lack of crowds in tampa (especially during the weekend), but when your team loses and you have the choice of either siting by the pool to watch the games or go sit inside..one should not be too surprised at the outcome.

With UNC sucking, I think it will be interesting to see how many people show up at greensboro this year.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

I agree Tampa was a good venue. I'll withhold judgement since I have not been to Greensboro yet. I'll let you know how they do.

I stay in Greensboro usually at the golf resort (which the name is escaping me) when BC plays down in North Carolina. There is nothing to do in that town at all. Go play golf at the Grandover, that's the resort, it's a decent course.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:15 pm

you're part of the problem!!!1!!1!
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:17 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

I stay in Greensboro usually at the golf resort (which the name is escaping me) when BC plays down in North Carolina. There is nothing to do in that town at all. Go play golf at the Grandover, that's the resort, it's a decent course.

grandover's not bad, but overpriced because there's nothing else in the area.

i'd suggest staying at the pinehurst resort and driving the hour to and from the game. you'll be much happier with your non-tournament time.

of course, if your truly there to enjoy the full days of basketball it doesn't really matter where you stay - you'll be at the colisseum for most of the waking hours

This was why I enjoyed tampa and would probably never go to greensboro. I enjoyed keeping tabs of the ongoing games at a bar in channelside, but really had no interest to go sit inside and watch basketball for 4-8 hrs a day (even when the scalpers were literally giving tickets away in Tampa). The lack of beer sales likely had an impact there...
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:45 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

i'd suggest staying at the pinehurst resort and driving the hour to and from the game. you'll be much happier with your non-tournament time.

of course, if your truly there to enjoy the full days of basketball it doesn't really matter where you stay - you'll be at the colisseum for most of the waking hours

This was why I enjoyed tampa and would probably never go to greensboro. I enjoyed keeping tabs of the ongoing games at a bar in channelside, but really had no interest to go sit inside and watch basketball for 4-8 hrs a day (even when the scalpers were literally giving tickets away in Tampa). The lack of beer sales likely had an impact there...

Channelside is great. See I can happily watch GT vs. NCST or whatever and be entertained in the arena, but I understand some people can't. I'm just saying, if you're not just going there for the basketball, I wouldn't do Greensboro.

Btw, Grandover is overpriced? Pinehurst is pricey too last time I checked.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby screagle on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:44 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

nips, baby.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

screagle {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

nips, baby.

Not to mention the beer that was sold at the arena in the sectioned-off outside area that was inside security.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby GlorytoBC on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:33 am

The ACC Tournament should NEVER go to Tampa again, that was such a terrible choice for a location. The ACC Tournament should either be in Greensboro, Atlanta or Charlotte every year. Those are ideal locations for the tournament and those three cities have had a great history of hosting the ACC Tournament.
GlorytoBC
Carney Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:01 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:clearly you did not attend the abortion of a tournament that was charlotte

I did not attend, but I was there for 36 hours to witness SuperFan's finest moment as a collegiate athlete. It wasn't terrible and at least CLT is an actual airport.

What was wrong with the ACCT?
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:53 am

GlorytoBC {l Wrote}:The ACC Tournament should NEVER go to Tampa again, that was such a terrible choice for a location. The ACC Tournament should either be in Greensboro, Atlanta or Charlotte every year. Those are ideal locations for the tournament and those three cities have had a great history of hosting the ACC Tournament.

I've got to believe DC should be in that mix also. I have no idea why it hasn't come back here.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:09 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
GlorytoBC {l Wrote}:The ACC Tournament should NEVER go to Tampa again, that was such a terrible choice for a location. The ACC Tournament should either be in Greensboro, Atlanta or Charlotte every year. Those are ideal locations for the tournament and those three cities have had a great history of hosting the ACC Tournament.

I've got to believe DC should be in that mix also. I have no idea why it hasn't come back here.

I am sure you are aware that DC is NOT in NC, thus in the schedule of 1 outside of NC for every 4 tournaments in NC...DC will be waiting for a while.

In all seriousness, from what I have read..the problem is that many NBA arenas are built for comfort and thus do not have the min 20k seats.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:13 am

If it is a requirement that the venue needs 20k seats max, the Verizon Center theoretically could hold it- it's capacity is 20,173.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby gaelfu on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:53 pm

I'd like to point out that Duke is nowhere closer to the final 4 this year than they were last year. I'm predicting another sweet 16 exit. They're in a class with the Baylors and Villanovas of the world this year. Good but not good enough.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:55 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:I'd like to point out that Duke is nowhere closer to the final 4 this year than they were last year. I'm predicting another sweet 16 exit. They're in a class with the Baylors and Villanovas of the world this year. Good but not good enough.

I actually wouldn't discount Baylor this season. Watched them play Texas last night and came away extremely impressed. I have no clue what's wrong with 'Nova lately, they're still a Final Four team for me.

Duke will shoot bad and lose. It's just a question of when since they have no inside game whatsoever.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby gaelfu on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:02 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:I'd like to point out that Duke is nowhere closer to the final 4 this year than they were last year. I'm predicting another sweet 16 exit. They're in a class with the Baylors and Villanovas of the world this year. Good but not good enough.

you're probably right, elvii

what does elvii mean? i do not support the flying elvii of easterbrook fame
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum