GDF: IT'S NOW TIME TO FIRE AL SKINNER AT END OF ACC TOURNEY!

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: GDF: IT'S NOW TIME TO FIRE AL SKINNER AT END OF ACC TOURNEY!

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Twice. (Maybe three, but I'll stick with two)

But that's not the point. You have to put it in perspective.

If you compare our crowds to the average college hockey crowd, they actually are quite impressive.

Would you feel better if we averaged 5600 in a 6000 seat venue?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:44 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Twice. (Maybe three, but I'll stick with two)

But that's not the point. You have to put it in perspective.

If you compare our crowds to the average college hockey crowd, they actually are quite impressive.

Would you feel better if we averaged 5600 in a 6000 seat venue?

I'd feel better if BC's hockey team got to regularly play in front of loud and full arenas. I don't think 7000+ fans a game for a team that has been THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY over the past 10+ years is asking too much. Apparently, you do.

And the entire reason I bring up hockey is to counter the retarded argument that the atmosphere in Conte Forum would be amazing if the basketball team was better or if Al Skinner wasn't the coach. If BC fans can't get into THE BEST COLLEGE HOCKEY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY, why would they suddenly start showing up and making noise with a different basketball coach.

BC fans are lame. They don't come to see BC. They come to see BC play the other team. It's like that across the board, in all sports.
Last edited by EaglesTalon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:44 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:I honestly don't understand your point. You say BC fans are awesome, but they're smart enough to stay away if they don't like the product, no? Which would suggest that BC fans don't like the product that Jerry York puts out.

My point is that there are basketball fans and hockey fans (two seperate pools of fans that would attend a game). The are not necessarily mutually exclusive but to illustrate my point lets just say they are. So, let's use numbers from the championship tournaments for argument sake. Basketball has 64 teams, hockey has 16 so a 4 to 1 ratio (eventhough in reality, I am sure basketball fans to hockey fans is probably 25 to 1). Let's just say that means there are 4 to 1 basketball fans to hockey fans available in their pools of fans to attract to a game. So, if hockey is drawing 5000 fans on average an equivilent amount at a basketball game would be 20000 and because BC has had a good hockey program, I'd give you 3 to 1 for argument sake which is being generous.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:48 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:I honestly don't understand your point. You say BC fans are awesome, but they're smart enough to stay away if they don't like the product, no? Which would suggest that BC fans don't like the product that Jerry York puts out.

My point is that there are basketball fans and hockey fans (two seperate pools of fans that would attend a game). The are not necessarily mutually exclusive but to illustrate my point lets just say they are. So, let's use numbers from the championship tournaments for argument sake. Basketball has 64 teams, hockey has 16 so a 4 to 1 ratio (eventhough in reality, I am sure basketball fans to hockey fans is probably 25 to 1). Let's just say that means there are 4 to 1 basketball fans to hockey fans available in their pools of fans to attract to a game. So, if hockey is drawing 5000 fans on average an equivilent amount at a basketball game would be 20000 and because BC has had a good hockey program, I'd give you 3 to 1 for argument sake which is being generous.

:lol:

You think 5000 fans a game for the BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY is a number to be proud of. I think BC's fanbase could do better.

Again, I'll ask the same question to you that I asked of commavegarage. How many times this year have you been inside Conte Forum for a hockey game and been really impressed with the size and quality of the crowd?
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:48 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:And the entire reason I bring up hockey is to counter the retarded argument that the atmosphere in Conte Forum would be amazing if the basketball team was better or if Al Skinner wasn't the coach. If BC fans can't get into THE BEST COLLEGE HOCKEY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY, why would they suddenly start showing up and making noise with a different basketball coach.

College basketball is exponentially more popular than college hockey. Only two schools in the country average more than 10K. In college basketball you don't even sniff the top 25 in attendance unless you average over 12.5k.

You can't compare the two. There are only 4 college hockey venues that even hold over 10,000 seats.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:51 pm

I agree with Talon that BC fans are lame across the board, but I think that commave's point is valid here. It's hard to get a fan base from 10,000 total students from around the country fired up for hockey at a football school, regardless of how good the team is. Not sure that hockey makes the point. Basketball is such a good example, there is no reason to shit on the hockey fans.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:51 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:College basketball is exponentially more popular than college hockey

nationally. You're right. I don't care about nationally. I care about locally. Specifically, Chestnut Hill locally. The BEST COLLEGE HOCKEY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY struggles to get more than 5000 asses in the seats at a game. But you're happier than a pig in shit because Merrimack or Lake Superior State can't match those numbers.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:52 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:College basketball is exponentially more popular than college hockey

nationally. You're right. I don't care about nationally. I care about locally. Specifically, Chestnut Hill locally. The BEST COLLEGE HOCKEY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY struggles to get more than 5000 asses in the seats at a game. But you're happier than a pig in shit because Merrimack or Lake Superior State can't match those numbers.

Where did I ever say that?

Great work.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:54 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

:lol:

You think 5000 fans a game for the BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY is a number to be proud of. I think BC's fanbase could do better.

Again, I'll ask the same question to you that I asked of commavegarage. How many times this year have you been inside Conte Forum for a hockey game and been really impressed with the size and quality of the crowd?

Whether I am impressed or not doesn't matter, I think that is the best a college hockey team with three other teams competing for fans three or four t stops away is going to do. BC hockey's average attendance is about the same as BU's. BU has a very, very strong program and at least twice as many students with a crappy basketball team in a crappy conference to compete with. It's the nature of the beast.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree with Talon that BC fans are lame across the board, but I think that commave's point is valid here. It's hard to get a fan base from 10,000 total students from around the country fired up for hockey at a football school, regardless of how good the team is. Not sure that hockey makes the point. Basketball is such a good example, there is no reason to shit on the hockey fans.

Football attendance does not cannibalize hockey attendance. Perhaps basketball and hockey do to each other, but if basketball attendance has been atrocious this year, then shouldn't that result in a massive upward spike in hockey attendance? Or are all those fans spending their time in the theatre district or art museums?

perhaps it's an inherent lameness, perhaps it's a growing nationalization (and spreading out of alumni), perhaps it's GDF's parking, ticketing and general gameday policies, but I find it hard to believe that anybody out there is really satisfied with the fan presence of BC fans at any sport.

But BC fans are always great at coming up with excuses for why they don't show up.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:03 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree with Talon that BC fans are lame across the board, but I think that commave's point is valid here. It's hard to get a fan base from 10,000 total students from around the country fired up for hockey at a football school, regardless of how good the team is. Not sure that hockey makes the point. Basketball is such a good example, there is no reason to shit on the hockey fans.

Football attendance does not cannibalize hockey attendance. Perhaps basketball and hockey do to each other, but if basketball attendance has been atrocious this year, then shouldn't that result in a massive upward spike in hockey attendance? Or are all those fans spending their time in the theatre district or art museums?

perhaps it's an inherent lameness, perhaps it's a growing nationalization (and spreading out of alumni), perhaps it's GDF's parking, ticketing and general gameday policies, but I find it hard to believe that anybody out there is really satisfied with the fan presence of BC fans at any sport.

But BC fans are always great at coming up with excuses for why they don't show up.

I agree with your point. I just think your example misses it, because hockey is a B-level sport regardless of how good the team plays. I love sports. I enjoy BC hockey. I don't ever go to games. I enjoy BC football and basketball. I am a season ticket holder for football and try to attend 3-4 hoop games a year. Football and basketball are college sports that warrant packed houses. Hockey most certainly does not.

It is like comparing a Bruins game to a Celtics game. 15,000 is an acceptable draw for the Bruins. It should be unacceptable for the Celtics.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:10 pm

I disagree. I think regular sellouts of BC hockey games should be expected, not a pipe dream. An 8000 seat hockey arena isn't massively oversized, especially for a team that can treat a mere Frozen Four appearance as a dissapointment.

Some people think that BC fans don't show up to basketball games because of Al Skinner. I say, it's not just Al Skinner that's keeping them away. Replace the team, the atmosphere in Conte Forum would still be lame. Replace the coach, the atmosphere in Conte Forum would still be lame.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:11 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:I disagree. I think regular sellouts of BC hockey games should be expected, not a pipe dream. An 8000 seat hockey arena isn't massively oversized, especially for a team that can treat a mere Frozen Four appearance as a dissapointment.

Some people think that BC fans don't show up to basketball games because of Al Skinner. I say, it's not just Al Skinner that's keeping them away. Replace the team, the atmosphere in Conte Forum would still be lame. Replace the coach, the atmosphere in Conte Forum would still be lame.

I agree with paragraph 2. I don't agree with paragraph 1.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:04 pm

:74
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:19 pm

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Al, leave, I'm dead serious and take your entire coaching staff with you.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Not even an NITWIT Tourney game when you are under .500.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:21 pm

PACK YER BAGS!
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:31 pm

BC fans in general stink. Al and his indifference does not help the situation. :ace
Last edited by Logitano on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMcG on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:33 pm

BC could use a change, but there's zero chance he gets fired.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:39 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:at least you'll have the mets to complain about soon

Omary Minaya and the Wilpons killed my love of the NY Metropolitans. Not enough bad things can happen to the Mets under their watch and apparently that is happening right now. Jose Reyes on the DL (again) to start the season!
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:at least you'll have the mets to complain about soon

Omary Minaya and the Wilpons killed my love of the NY Metropolitans. Not enough bad things can happen to the Mets under their watch and apparently that is happening right now. Jose Reyes on the DL (again) to start the season!

Omar and the Mest were my third fatwaboy.

Wade Phillips, UVA, Mets, Craig James.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:45 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:BC could use a change, but there's zero chance he gets fired.

welcome aboard. no apology needed.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Al has 2 more years and he has 3 Hall of Fame dinners and 0 Final Fours in 13 years.

Save these threads.....maybe when in the big Game 1 in 2010, when Al tries to stop an 18-0 run (3 minutes too late) with his first timeout, and then brings out his white Ronco "ETCH-A-TURNOVER", I will be ready with the new Alsleep At the Wheel threads.

Repeat 2011.

Repeat 2012.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby h2o on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:55 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Ronco "ETCH-A-TURNOVER"

LMFAO!!
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby Dirtywater on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:12 am

This college coaching biz is a pretty good deal if you can string together some good years and sock away the money. Compare it to your own situation - particularly if you are making six figures. Does your employer give a crap about what you did for him yesterday? If you had a year as bad as the one Skinner just had would you survive? You probably would be put on official probation and then reassigned to a lower level job or had your position "eliminated" or you would have been let go (unless, of course, you are a member of a protected class - in which case you would get an extra year before the lawyers figured out what to do). And do you think anyone would be running to your rescue because you did a decent job in 2007? Hell - working for the BC Athletic Department is a damn good gig if you can get it.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:29 am

Dirtywater {l Wrote}:This college coaching biz is a pretty good deal if you can string together some good years and sock away the money. Compare it to your own situation - particularly if you are making six figures. Does your employer give a crap about what you did for him yesterday? If you had a year as bad as the one Skinner just had would you survive? You probably would be put on official probation and then reassigned to a lower level job or had your position "eliminated" or you would have been let go (unless, of course, you are a member of a protected class - in which case you would get an extra year before the lawyers figured out what to do). And do you think anyone would be running to your rescue because you did a decent job in 2007? Hell - working for the BC Athletic Department is a damn good gig if you can get it.

Greatest gig on earth and incompetence rules. And not just BC!

Say Skinner in 13 years has average with pension and other matches 600K per year.

His NBA paydays ---well earned I saw hi play for the Nets many times and his playing style is opposite of his coaching malaise.

NBA pension.

Al is loaded and his kids got free --TAX FREE!!!--- tuition bunnies.

Meaning if the present BC costs $250K for 4 years you won a free $400K --per kid! Not counting stipend cash and food cash!!!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:30 pm

Dirtywater {l Wrote}:This college coaching biz is a pretty good deal if you can string together some good years and sock away the money. Compare it to your own situation - particularly if you are making six figures. Does your employer give a crap about what you did for him yesterday? If you had a year as bad as the one Skinner just had would you survive? You probably would be put on official probation and then reassigned to a lower level job or had your position "eliminated" or you would have been let go (unless, of course, you are a member of a protected class - in which case you would get an extra year before the lawyers figured out what to do). And do you think anyone would be running to your rescue because you did a decent job in 2007? Hell - working for the BC Athletic Department is a damn good gig if you can get it.

You also don't have to do your job on television for schumcks on message boards to comment upon.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You also don't have to do your job on television for schumcks on message boards to comment upon.

If this team sucks worse next year, it's going to get worse than this message board because the media is going to catch on eventually.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Gonzaga
St Mary's
Xavier
Villanova
Georgetown
Notre Dame
Marquette
St. Mary's

Baylor is Baptist. ODU.

:pontif :pontif :pontif

Look at all the Coaches being fired. Al is here 2 more years.... Bc was not bad they were embarrassingly lazy and dope smokers.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum