please don't go Al...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

please don't go Al...

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Just sayin'...
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: please don't go Al...

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Actually, I think games like this, South Carolina, Michigan and Clemson actually support the Fire Al crowd. I am not one of them, but those four games are the way this team should play. They have plenty of talent.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Actually, I think games like this, South Carolina, Michigan and Clemson actually support the Fire Al crowd. I am not one of them, but those four games are the way this team should play. They have plenty of talent.

We can beat 1 team with an above 80 RPI? Whoop de fucking do.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Actually, I think games like this, South Carolina, Michigan and Clemson actually support the Fire Al crowd. I am not one of them, but those four games are the way this team should play. They have plenty of talent.

I'm not in the fire Al camp either but pointing to those games is not saying much. South Carolina didn't have two of their best players. Clemson is on the bubble. Michigan stinks. UNC stinks. We took it to the hoop numerous times today and when we did that against FSU they blocked the shit out of us. UNC is 3-9 in the ACC for a reason.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:21 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I'm not in the fire Al camp either but pointing to those games is not saying much. South Carolina didn't have two of their best players. Clemson is on the bubble. Michigan stinks. UNC stinks. We took it to the hoop numerous times today and when we did that against FSU they blocked the shit out of us. UNC is 3-9 in the ACC for a reason.

My comment had 0 to do with the quality of opponent and everything to do with the way that BC played. Those are the 4 games that BC has played well (at least for most of the game) this season, other than maybe the second loss to Duke.

If BC played every night like they did in those 4 games, they would have 5-6 more wins at least.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:23 pm

good game today. But starting a thread to say that a win against the 2nd to last place team in the ACC somehow justifies the performance this season is comical.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:25 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:good game today. But starting a thread to say that a win against the 2nd to last place team in the ACC somehow justifies the performance this season is comical.

He clearly did it just to get your panties bunched. Worked, evidently.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:good game today. But starting a thread to say that a win against the 2nd to last place team in the ACC somehow justifies the performance this season is comical.

not at all....I said I found it comical.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:26 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

not at all....I said I found it comical.

Point is, so did he.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:30 pm

BC's problem is not talent. Their problem is that talent playing together. It further is complicated by a low BB IQ for many of those talented players (high BB IQ is critical for the Flex). I've said it before and I'll say it again, his current batch of assistants didn't know what kind of player will be successful in the system. They went out and just grabbed players. That is why I've said Al needs to have Colson and Cassera pack their bags.

However, in those games where the current players stay within the system, they are a pretty good team. You just wish someone would grab Sanders and tell him to ALWAYS drive to the hoop and NEVER shoot jumpers. Tell Trapani never to shoot beyond 12 feet. Tell Reggie that he should only shoot within the last 12 seconds of the shot clock or only when wide open. Tell Raji to stay active. Tell Ellmore, Ravenal, Soouthern, Dunn and Roche just to play hard and know their role.
Last edited by HJS on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:31 pm

BTW... anyone a little surprised that we have the 23rd ranked SOS?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:33 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:BC's problem is not talent. Their problem is that talent playing together. It further is complicated by a low BB IQ for many of those talented players (high BB IQ is critical for the Flex). I've said it before and I'll say it again, his current batch of assistants didn't know what kind of player will be successful in the system. They went out and just grabbed players. That is why I've said Al needs to have Colson and Cassera pack their bags.

Trapani is the worst offender. The rest could be coached I think. Which is the bitch.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:47 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Just sayin'...

That's ridiculous. (If you weren't being sarcastic)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Dirtywater on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:BC's problem is not talent. Their problem is that talent playing together. It further is complicated by a low BB IQ for many of those talented players (high BB IQ is critical for the Flex). I've said it before and I'll say it again, his current batch of assistants didn't know what kind of player will be successful in the system. They went out and just grabbed players. That is why I've said Al needs to have Colson and Cassera pack their bags.

However, in those games where the current players stay within the system, they are a pretty good team. You just wish someone would grab Sanders and tell him to ALWAYS drive to the hoop and NEVER shoot jumpers. Tell Trapani never to shoot beyond 12 feet. Tell Reggie that he should only shoot within the last 12 seconds of the shot clock or only when wide open. Tell Raji to stay active. Tell Ellmore, Ravenal, Soouthern, Dunn and Roche just to play hard and know their role.

Good post - somebody should mail this to Skinner. However, would someone please suggest an appropriate role for Southern? All I can think of is that he should be used in key situations to help lull the other team into a false sense of confidence.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:28 pm

Dirtywater {l Wrote}:

Good post - somebody should mail this to Skinner. However, would someone please suggest an appropriate role for Southern? All I can think of is that he should be used in key situations to help lull the other team into a false sense of confidence.

Team Manager.

It was a good win, but UNC is awful. Let's not pretend it's like beating them last year or anything like that.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:33 pm

And just to clarify- This just gives the Fire Al movement more ammo. Where the fuck has this type of effort been all year?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:43 pm

On the occasions that Southern plays aggressive or with fire, he is a decent player. But, it just doesn't happen often enough.

I think this team started buying into the system after the low-point of the season (Maryland). If you look, after that game, BC has played competitive basketball from then on out (sole exception being the FSU game). Yeah... there are a ton of losses in those games after Maryland, but there started to be a consistant level of play that has kept us in games against good competition. If they didn't piss-away the time before Maryland and take so long to START buying into the system and figure out their roles, they would be a bubble team right now (this is assuming that some of that crap bounces, bad calls and last second misses would go our way post-Maryland).

Once again, this season is shit. In my opinion, the single worst season under Al. A marginal win today (or decent play for about a month) should not save the jobs of crap assistants like Colson and Cassera (neither of whom are recruiters and at least one of them has undermined the Flex and facilitated the players not buying-in). And yes, Colson and Cassera's presence on the staff is the fault of Skinner and anything they eff up is on Skinner (just like Tranq/Bible were shining examples of the outstanding incompetence of Spaz/TOB).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think this team started buying into the system after the low-point of the season (Maryland). If you look, after that game, BC has played competitive basketball from then on out (sole exception being the FSU game). Yeah... there are a ton of losses in those games after Maryland, but there started to be a consistant level of play that has kept us in games against good competition.

This. I was dead wrong when I said that if they lost the UMD game, they would pack it in the rest of the season. And when they lost the way they did I knew I would be right. Except I wasn't. Thank God. They've played competitive basketball, and no I'm not rah-rahing that...I'm saying it would have been really easy to hang your head and get smoked game in and game out after that point. They didn't do that.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:54 pm

I think in some ways, they did give up. They gave up trying to be individual stars. They gave up trying to do it their own way. And they finally started doing shit inside the system. It was kinda like a "fine... fuck you... you want me to pass the ball for the first 20 seconds of the shot clock? Fine. Watch how bad we'll lose then... and THEN it will be all on you, Coach." Except... we didn't lose... we beat Miami. Then we got absolutely ROBBED by the worst end-of-game calls in the ACC this year... and then we beat Clemson... and then we lost by a 3-pointer in the closing seconds against FSU and Trapani missed buzzer-beater against Duke. At that point, the season was over. But, they saw that when they play within the system, they can actually play against anyone. They are still feeling things out and finding roles, but it's coming. Now... this is shit they should've been doing down at the Paradise Jam and have all worked out by the start of the New Year. And THAT is the reason why we aren't competing for the NCAAs this year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Spot on HJS. Well said.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think in some ways, they did give up. They gave up trying to be individual stars. They gave up trying to do it their own way. And they finally started doing shit inside the system. It was kinda like a "fine... fuck you... you want me to pass the ball for the first 20 seconds of the shot clock? Fine. Watch how bad we'll lose then... and THEN it will be all on you, Coach." Except... we didn't lose... we beat Miami. Then we got absolutely ROBBED by the worst end-of-game calls in the ACC this year... and then we beat Clemson... and then we lost by a 3-pointer in the closing seconds against FSU and Trapani missed buzzer-beater against Duke. At that point, the season was over. But, they saw that when they play within the system, they can actually play against anyone. They are still feeling things out and finding roles, but it's coming. Now... this is shit they should've been doing down at the Paradise Jam and have all worked out by the start of the New Year. And THAT is the reason why we aren't competing for the NCAAs this year.

So you are telling me that for the majority of these kids it took them over 2+ years to learn to use the system? If that's the case, then how did we make the tournament last year (and please don't answer Tyrese Rice was the only reason- He won us some games but if it was just him we wouldn't have made the tournament)?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm

I agree with HJS. But I still think the main problem is not that Ty Rice is missing, but what replaced him. They have played better lately because Reggie is learning to play PG. And because everyone except Chucking Joe Turnover has bought in to the team game.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree with HJS. But I still think the main problem is not that Ty Rice is missing, but what replaced him. They have played better lately because Reggie is learning to play PG. And because everyone except Chucking Joe Turnover has bought in to the team game.

Joe is chucking and it's hurting the team, however I think you exaggerate how bad he is. He played solid D today. 2 steals, 2 TOs, 2 assists, 9 boards. And various other plays that don't show up in the stats. I'll take that.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:50 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I think in some ways, they did give up. They gave up trying to be individual stars. They gave up trying to do it their own way. And they finally started doing shit inside the system. It was kinda like a "fine... fuck you... you want me to pass the ball for the first 20 seconds of the shot clock? Fine. Watch how bad we'll lose then... and THEN it will be all on you, Coach." Except... we didn't lose... we beat Miami. Then we got absolutely ROBBED by the worst end-of-game calls in the ACC this year... and then we beat Clemson... and then we lost by a 3-pointer in the closing seconds against FSU and Trapani missed buzzer-beater against Duke. At that point, the season was over. But, they saw that when they play within the system, they can actually play against anyone. They are still feeling things out and finding roles, but it's coming. Now... this is shit they should've been doing down at the Paradise Jam and have all worked out by the start of the New Year. And THAT is the reason why we aren't competing for the NCAAs this year.

So you are telling me that for the majority of these kids it took them over 2+ years to learn to use the system? If that's the case, then how did we make the tournament last year (and please don't answer Tyrese Rice was the only reason- He won us some games but if it was just him we wouldn't have made the tournament)?

How many preseason posts talked about how we were going to "open things up"... how Sanders was going have a "monster" year (God, half the posts were about him leaving after the season)... how Trapani was going to bust out... how smoothly things would run with TRUE point guard like Biko? I think these kids thought similarly... "Now that WE are in control, we can finally play like I want to." I think something similar happened 2 years ago when Rice was more concerned about being a scoring machine than a BB player. Remember, the top reasons for our struggles this year are Biko not being the true PG that some hoped and Sanders not being a star (failing to become one at the beginning of the season (when he was trying to be Lebron) and still trying to find a role).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree with HJS. But I still think the main problem is not that Ty Rice is missing, but what replaced him. They have played better lately because Reggie is learning to play PG. And because everyone except Chucking Joe Turnover has bought in to the team game.

Trapani is one of the only guys on the team who has any sense of rebounding and boxing out. Even if he takes awful shots, you terribly exagerate his effect on the game. We lose without his rebounding today.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:56 pm

So far I have read that Sanders should drive to the hoop and Southern is a decent player. I guess we know how much HJS knows about basketball.

Sanders should be posting up, not driving to the hoop. 75% of the time he drives to the hoop he dribbles it off his foot, travels, or gets the balls stolen. I cringe when I see him try to handle the ball in traffic. And Southern is FAR from decent.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:14 pm

South Carolina/ Michigan/ Clemson -------St. Joe’s/ Harvard/ URI/ Maine =

Tale of two teams …This is why I say this team is Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde, they can’t figure out identity and this is where the coach should step in to guide his team……ALL WE HAVE IS ALSLEEP at the Wheel
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby screagle on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Trapani is one of the only guys on the team who has any sense of rebounding and boxing out. Even if he takes awful shots, you terribly exagerate his effect on the game. We lose without his rebounding today.

Agreed... Trap is still slow and forgot how to shoot, but TW's boy 'Kim has regressed even worse (and hardly "bought into the team game"). A guy that looked like a stud and NBA prospect last year has been out-of-shape, lollygagging up and down the floor and laughing it up on the bench after fouling out. At least Trap shows heart and actually breaks a sweat out there.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:42 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Between turnovers at the top of the key in the flex, out of bounds passes and chucked threes leading to long rebounds, Trapani is good for 10-12 points a game for the other team. Like I said, he has talent and playes hard, but he is retarded.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:43 pm

screagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Agreed... Trap is still slow and forgot how to shoot, but TW's boy 'Kim has regressed even worse (and hardly "bought into the team game"). A guy that looked like a stud and NBA prospect last year has been out-of-shape, lollygagging up and down the floor and laughing it up on the bench after fouling out. At least Trap shows heart and actually breaks a sweat out there.

He shows tons of heart as he aggressively passes to the other team and chucks threes for fast break opportunities. I call it like I see it, good talent, great hustle, 0 basketball IQ.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum