Crackology

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Crackology

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:26 pm

The Scientific 74 Laboratory term for:

All those who think BC will make the 2010 NCAA Basketball Tournament and all those who think ALSLEEP should not be fired out of a cannon down Comm Ave after this season with his clown shoes on napping in his barcolounger.

Yup, Crackology.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Re: Crackology

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:50 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:The Scientific 74 Laboratory term for:

All those who think BC will make the 2010 NCAA Basketball Tournamnet and all those who think ALSLEEP should not be fired out of a cannon down Comm ave after this season with his closwn shoes on.

Yup, Crackology.

There isn't really anyone who believes BC has any shot at the tourney at this point right? NIT is looking like a stretch.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

All those who think BC will make the 2010 NCAA Basketball Tournamnet and all those who think ALSLEEP should not be fired out of a cannon down Comm ave after this season with his closwn shoes on.

Yup, Crackology.

There isn't really anyone who believes BC has any shot at the tourney at this point right? NIT is looking like a stretch.

Yea, who is nuts enough to think they are going to make the NCAA Tournament?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:16 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Yup, Crackology.

Who's nuts enough to think we're going .500 this season? You really think we're beating FSU or GT on the road? Not to mention UVA, VT and UNC still left on the schedule.

10-6 in '06-'07, '07-'08 season 4-12, '08-'09 season 9-7 and '09-'10 season 4-12 (I'm assuming here) in the last four years.

That is 27- 37 in the ACC over the last 4 years. 0 ACC Tournament Championships, 0 Sweet 16's over that time. Not to mention a bunch of WTF losses to America East type teams.

It's time Al Skinner, it really is time to go.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Yup, Crackology.

They only need to win 4 games - it could happen. If they come out to start the ACC tournament playing inspired basketball, anything's possible - just not probable.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:20 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Yup, Crackology.

Who's nuts enough to think we're going .500 this season? You really think we're beating FSU or GT on the road? Not to mention UVA, VT and UNC still left on the schedule.

10-6 in '06-'07, '07-'08 season 4-12, '08-'09 season 9-7 and '09-'10 season 4-12 (I'm assuming here) in the last four years.

That is 27- 37 in the ACC over the last 4 years. 0 ACC Tournament Championships, 0 Sweet 16's over that time. Not to mention a bunch of WTF losses to America East type teams.

Little fella, where did I say they were going to be .500? He's had two fucking horrible seasons, give him one more year. If he shits the bed again next year, I fine with launching him. Until then, stop complaining like a little fucking bitch. You are insufferable like your hump buddy OJ.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 pm

All those who think BC will make the 2010 NCAA Basketball Tournament and all those who think ALSLEEP should not be fired out of a cannon down Comm Ave after this season with his clown shoes on napping in his barcolounger.

Yup, Crackology.

First registered crackhead....CIVIL EAGLE.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:27 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Yup, Crackology.

They only need to win 4 games - it could happen. If they come out to start the ACC tournament playing inspired basketball, anything's possible - just not probable.

I guess that answers my question.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Well, I have been called a hopeless optimist - but remember, I did say "not probable".
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:57 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:Well, I have been called a hopeless optimist - but remember, I did say "not probable".

I agree, not probable, but there is not one team in the ACC that scares me. Well, except for BC, and they're scary in a bad way.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:0 ACC Tournament Championships, 0 Sweet 16's over that time.

TEH TOURNEY IZ RANDOM!!!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:24 pm

i'll take one crack, please.
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Yup, Crackology.

Little fella, where did I say they were going to be .500? He's had two fucking horrible seasons, give him one more year. If he shits the bed again next year, I fine with launching him. Until then, stop complaining like a little fucking bitch. You are insufferable like your hump buddy OJ.

I understand the logic of keeping Skinner around until next season because there's no point in switching coaches when the entire team will be seniors. Although true, if Skinner goes 8-8 or 9-7 next year, are you really going to get all excited and suggest we keep him as a coach?

He is NOT a good basketball coach. Frankly, since Coen, etc. have left, the recruiting has taken a dip. Everyone on this board can realize this group of players needs to run and play up-tempo to be successful. The visual evidence is there. Unfortunately, the head basketball coach doesn't understand that, and that is a problem. This team and past BC teams have had terrible defense problems that have been erased by shot blocking centers (Williams, Blair, etc.). I don't remember the last time we had a good defensive basketball team. Defense is all coaching and effort, it doesn't take a ton of athletic ability to be a decent defender (see Tyler Roche when he plays SF).

Basically fine, we'll give him another year, but another 8-8/9-7 squeak into the NCAA Tournament then get bombed in the First Round by a clearly superior team, and we need to find ourselves a new basketball coach who will recruit and adapt to his talent. It's not all Skinner's fault this year, but a fair amount of it rests on him.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:02 am

I don't get keeping him for another year. Doesn't that just prolong the rebuilding process? You'll have Freshman come in, learn the ridiculous flex and then have to learn a whole new system the next year under [fill in real basketball coach name here]. Then you run the risk, though not a high risk, of those players transferring if they were dumb enough to choose BC because of Al. I'd rather have them make that decision before they enroll, both for their sake and ours, and let the new coach use next year to rebuild and teach the guys who will still be here, jackson, Elmore etc, his way so when they are seniors it is not a wasted season.

I see no reason to believe this team will be significantly better next year regardless so I say let the rebuilding begin now. That may mean wasting the senior year of Rakim, Biko and Southern, but since they have wasted this year for me I don't feel that bad about it.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:I don't get keeping him for another year. Doesn't that just prolong the rebuilding process? You'll have Freshman come in, learn the ridiculous flex and then have to learn a whole new system the next year under [fill in real basketball coach name here]. Then you run the risk, though not a high risk, of those players transferring if they were dumb enough to choose BC because of Al. I'd rather have them make that decision before they enroll, both for their sake and ours, and let the new coach use next year to rebuild and teach the guys who will still be here, jackson, Elmore etc, his way so when they are seniors it is not a wasted season.

I see no reason to believe this team will be significantly better next year regardless so I say let the rebuilding begin now. That may mean wasting the senior year of Rakim, Biko and Southern, but since they have wasted this year for me I don't feel that bad about it.

Great post. This is how your form a cohernat argument.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:I don't get keeping him for another year. Doesn't that just prolong the rebuilding process? You'll have Freshman come in, learn the ridiculous flex and then have to learn a whole new system the next year under [fill in real basketball coach name here]. Then you run the risk, though not a high risk, of those players transferring if they were dumb enough to choose BC because of Al. I'd rather have them make that decision before they enroll, both for their sake and ours, and let the new coach use next year to rebuild and teach the guys who will still be here, jackson, Elmore etc, his way so when they are seniors it is not a wasted season.

Non-flex offenses take far less time to implement than a flex system or a football system. I don't believe it would be a wasted season with the right coach. I fully understand the attitude that if he's going to be fired/retire in the near future anyway, to not wait one more year, let alone one more DAY. I just wish it were that simple in the real world.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:37 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Non-flex offenses take far less time to implement than a flex system or a football system. I don't believe it would be a wasted season with the right coach. I fully understand the attitude that if he's going to be fired/retire in the near future anyway, to not wait one more year, let alone one more DAY. I just wish it were that simple in the real world.

I'm not sure why it's that hard. First give Bruce Pearl and Sean Miller a phone call (they're both going to say no thanks but it's worth a shot). Then, go offer Coen or McCaffrey, you seriously think they're going to turn down the BC gig?

If financially that's the issue then I see your point.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:03 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I'm not sure why it's that hard. First give Bruce Pearl and Sean Miller a phone call (they're both going to say no thanks but it's worth a shot). Then, go offer Coen or McCaffrey, you seriously think they're going to turn down the BC gig?

There are a couple factors I'm thinking of (and I'm sure some I'm not):

1. Financial. Pretty self-explanatory.
2. Firing the winningest coach in school history and the bad press it brings. And it will. Unlike the TOB/GDF spat where TOB was interested in going other places and GDF was fine with him leaving, Skinner doesn't appear to have either ambition (which we've seen that GDF LOVES) or interest from the outside world.
3. None of us on this board ARE the AD. The fact that we have GDF as our AD. Which means none of this is going to go down as many of us would do it. To the rational thinkers here it seems like a swift bandaid pull would solve many problems and be best for the program. Flipolean might not care. He might be perfectly content letting Skinner ride out his daughter's BC education - sickening. To give Flipolean the slight benefit of the doubt, none of us have our careers/paychecks riding on these decisions. However, this is why he gets paid the big bucks, supposedly.
4. You can't fire a coach without having a backup plan, (maybe this should be 3a) so you're exactly right that the waters should be tested before a move is made. Sometimes hiring is as much about timing as it is about anything else.

IMO, Pearl, Miller and Davis should be the first level of interest from BC's POV. McCaffery, Coen, and some other wildcards should be the fallbacks. But please, please, please, Lappas, Cooley, Duquette, Amaker and O'Shea should not be in the running.

Skinner probably deserves another year, but as many of us believe, it will turn out to be a waste of time. Of course if he's around longer than after next year (which is a reality whether he turns things around or not) then the "waste of time" would have to be reevaluated for the larger picture.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:57 pm

FLIPOLEAN or THE ULTIMATUM!

I hereby bow to flipolean with the Pedro Napolean complex theme.

Napolean would issue an ultimatum and then be stupid enough to attack Russia which was worth nothing.

:bowdown :bowdown

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:01 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

There are a couple factors I'm thinking of (and I'm sure some I'm not):

2. Firing the winningest coach in school history and the bad press it brings. And it will. Unlike the TOB/GDF spat where TOB was interested in going other places and GDF was fine with him leaving, Skinner doesn't appear to have either ambition (which we've seen that GDF LOVES) or interest from the outside world.
3. None of us on this board ARE the AD. The fact that we have GDF as our AD. Which means none of this is going to go down as many of us would do it. To the rational thinkers here it seems like a swift bandaid pull would solve many problems and be best for the program. Flipolean might not care. He might be perfectly content letting Skinner ride out his daughter's BC education - sickening. To give Flipolean the slight benefit of the doubt, none of us have our careers/paychecks riding on these decisions. However, this is why he gets paid the big bucks, supposedly.
4. You can't fire a coach without having a backup plan, (maybe this should be 3a) so you're exactly right that the waters should be tested before a move is made. Sometimes hiring is as much about timing as it is about anything else.

IMO, Pearl, Miller and Davis should be the first level of interest from BC's POV. McCaffery, Coen, and some other wildcards should be the fallbacks. But please, please, please, Lappas, Cooley, Duquette, Amaker and O'Shea should not be in the running.

Skinner probably deserves another year, but as many of us believe, it will turn out to be a waste of time. Of course if he's around longer than after next year (which is a reality whether he turns things around or not) then the "waste of time" would have to be reevaluated for the larger picture.

I agree completely on your coaching list. Go after the big names first, then the McCaffery/Coen crowd because those guys are great coaches also. I may have to stop watching BC Basketball if Lappas, Cooley, Dquette, Amaker or O'Shea are hired. If we're going to do that *holds breath* we might as well just keep Skinner.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby screagle on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Ratboy Lappas was the coach for all of Gene's Villanova AD years (neither hired or fired him). During those years, Nova didn't even make the sweet 16. The chances of a Lappas hire would be slim to none, unless Gene is really as bad as we fear.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby 74'z-jerble on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Anyone really think we can attract a "go-getter" coach to this apathetic wasteland? Make your best argument - cash alone will NOT do it. What talented dreamer/prospect of a coach thinks he can get real live talent to the barren Heights - and why, ferkrizesaiks? Lappas wouldn't take the job!

AMDG, boize!
74'z-jerble
n00b

Postby miles2gil on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:35 pm

most of these bozos would prefer bobby knight. no matter that al has more integrity than 90% of all college coaches and his kids usually graduate. no matter--winning is all. 'course if the bozos had their kid slapped by knight they might sing a different tune--tho probably not.
miles2gil
n00b

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:53 am

miles2gil {l Wrote}:most of these bozos would prefer bobby knight. no matter that al has more integrity than 90% of all college coaches and his kids usually graduate. no matter--winning is all. 'course if the bozos had their kid slapped by knight they might sing a different tune--tho probably not.

I love when people throw out a number like 90% as if that means anything. How exactly are you measuring integrity? It is actually possible to have integrity and win games you know. Oh and Bobby Knight graduated his kids too.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:29 pm

miles2gil {l Wrote}:most of these bozos would prefer bobby knight. no matter that al has more integrity than 90% of all college coaches and his kids usually graduate. no matter--winning is all. 'course if the bozos had their kid slapped by knight they might sing a different tune--tho probably not.

Al may have integrity, but he doesn't teach it. It appears he doesn't do much teaching at all. A local high school coach learned nothing from sitting in on one of his practices. And what did Al teach *** *******, Ryan Sidney, Andrew Bryant, Akida McClain, etc. Those guys were very UConn-esque.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:59 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:There are a couple factors I'm thinking of (and I'm sure some I'm not):

:roll:
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:21 pm

The fact that average Al is our all time wins leader shows the history of basketball's mediocrity at this school.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:51 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:The fact that average Al is our all time wins leader shows the history of basketball's mediocrity at this school.

That is exactly my point. Al Skinner = :toby . Since BC isn't a basketball school, people don't care as much. TOB would win some games and in general be in mediocrity and then lose some awful WTF games and couldn't taken us to a BCS Bowl. Al Skinner wins some games he shouldn't, loses some ridiculous games and has next to no post-season success.

It's the same coach, some of you just fail to realize that.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:11 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:The fact that average Al is our all time wins leader shows the history of basketball's mediocrity at this school.

That is exactly my point. Al Skinner = :toby . Since BC isn't a basketball school, people don't care as much. TOB would win some games and in general be in mediocrity and then lose some awful WTF games and couldn't taken us to a BCS Bowl. Al Skinner wins some games he shouldn't, loses some ridiculous games and has next to no post-season success.

the fact that Al has been the coach for 14 years pretty much shows how little BC's admin cares about hoops.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

the fact that Al has been the coach for 14 years pretty much shows how little BC's admin cares about hoops.

So, if BC really cared about hoops, at what point over the past 14 years should it have terminated Al?
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum