BC @ Wake Forest GAMEDAY AND SCORE GUESS THREAD

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC @ Wake Forest GAMEDAY AND SCORE GUESS THREAD

Postby DaveSpeed on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Fran McCaffrey and all will be well.
DaveSpeed
Carney Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:40 pm

iappliedtobc {l Wrote}:
5. Whenever Ravenal fouled out, the entire student section chanted "Right! Left!" for each step he took with his feet and then yelled "SIT DOWN!" when he finally sat on the bench. Rakim, taking good note of this, fouled out himself a few minutes later, and being the clever guy he is walked to the bench and just as he went to sit down and everyone in the place yelled "SIT DO..." Rakim prompetly hovered over the seat to screw the entire chant up, and then pointed to the student section, shook his head and smiled. (This is probably why he was smiling when they showed him on TV). A few more minutes passed and Elmore fouled out, so he walked to the bench and you could see Rakim and others on the bench telling him to stop as he went to sit down. He then stood back up to somewhat screw the chant up once more and sat down. It was good to see the bench paying more attention to the student section than the actual game.

If this is true then it is time to pull the plug. This was the same crap that happened when Bob Zuffelato was coaching. Flynn fired his sorry ass then Tom Davis came to BC. Kicked ass and dealt with the malcontents quickly. Knowing Leahy and Gene they will let this disaster continue.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:24 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Good. Rakim fouled out. We can do just fine without his 20% from the 3 pt line and 50% from the free throw line.

watch out....Mrs. Sanders,, AKA TWB is gonna get made and start arguments backtracking from his Rakim is a first team ACC player arguments.

Don't worry, being 8th best in the ACC the past 4 years is the best we can do -we are what we are!

But you can't compare TOB to Skinner -he won 1 championship in 14 years!!1111!!!!!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:52 am

DaveSpeed {l Wrote}:Fran McCaffrey and all will be well.

I'd like Sean Miller, but McCaffrey is fine assuming he'll go out and recruit some athletic big men.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:47 am

I’m glad I can read all of your comments about the game as well as a run down on other sites alteagle etc……..I should have watched it online, but I guess my efforts were cursed from the start. I decided to rely on the NESN rebroadcast of the game after the B’s game. So I watched the Bruins ot game and the drawn out post-game coverage…..waited patiently for the basketball game to come on………..it finally came on about 1030ish …..tape delayed already in progress (start of the second half) I watched 1 minute of the second half and the shitheads at NESN had the final score of the game scroll by on the bottom of the screen, thanks for ruining the ending…….not ten seconds later my fuckin Comcast goes out and I didn’t get to see it for myself ..... So thanks for the run down and opinions guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:I’m glad I can read all of your comments about the game as well as a run down on other sites alteagle etc……..I should have watched it online, but I guess my efforts were cursed from the start. I decided to rely on the NESN rebroadcast of the game after the B’s game. So I watched the Bruins ot game and the drawn out post-game coverage…..waited patiently for the basketball game to come on………..it finally came on about 1030ish …..tape delayed already in progress (start of the second half) I watched 1 minute of the second half and the shitheads at NESN had the final score of the game scroll by on the bottom of the screen, thanks for ruining the ending…….not ten seconds later my fuckin Comcast goes out and I didn’t get to see it for myself ..... So thanks for the run down and opinions guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at it this way, you didn't waste 2+ hours of your life watching the game last night. That's a good thing.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby iappliedtobc on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Yes, I happen to live 20 minutes south of Wake Forest which is a pretty long extension of Tobacco Road. But then again, its tar heel country anywhere you go down here in NC so I guess it can all be considered tobacco road.

Obviously since BC isn't exactly the biggest deal down here I was introduced to it at a later age, so I've been a pretty big fan for the past five or so years. Hopefully I'll get the acceptance letter in a couple months and be up in Chestnut Hill come this August, but that's a big if because of acceptance and scholarship money.

I don't get to go to a lot of BC games (of course) so last night was really cool getting to see the players who I'm usually yelling at on the TV screen live. I enjoyed the experience no matter what the score, although the wake fans were getting a bit annoying calling for a technical on BC for every foul they committed after Woods was thrown out (I never saw what happened on that play, only a big huddle). But Roche scoring 31 points made the night just the more enjoyable.

january 4th, 2009...a night when magic and happiness made love and gave birth to one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen on TV.
iappliedtobc
n00b

Postby DCEagles30 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Ive been reading this board for a while now, and it surprises me that no one really talked about Ravenel's defense on McFarland. He has been the only big kid that plays fearless. Dunn and Southern both look scared out there yet still get more minutes. Someone please explain why that is the case.
DCEagles30
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:48 pm

DCEagles30 {l Wrote}:Ive been reading this board for a while now, and it surprises me that no one really talked about Ravenel's defense on McFarland. He has been the only big kid that plays fearless. Dunn and Southern both look scared out there yet still get more minutes. Someone please explain why that is the case.

Umm, Ravanel committed 3 fouls in 1 minute last night. Then he proceeded to commit two more fouls in about a total of 4 minutes and foul out. Very hard to play more minutes when you're fouling McFarland 35 feet from the basket.

I'd much rather see Ravanel (under control) play PF than Roche. Tyler should get minutes at the 3, not the 4.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DCEagles30 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 pm

Actually two of the fouls were very questionable. Based on stats Ravenel plays less than 10 mins and had not even played the last 3 or 4 games so it was not a surprise that he was pressing a bit, but it was clear the team played better with him on the floor.
DCEagles30
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:49 am

DCEagles30 {l Wrote}:Ive been reading this board for a while now, and it surprises me that no one really talked about Ravenel's defense on McFarland. He has been the only big kid that plays fearless. Dunn and Southern both look scared out there yet still get more minutes. Someone please explain why that is the case.

I guess if fearlessness were the only trait required for a big man, then he should be in there. Personally, I've never felt like he plays like a big man. And while Dunn is clearly playing out of position and Ravenel may be a better offensive option, Al isn't asking for any offense out of our big men, only defense (and fouls). He also appears to not be in great shape. I also wouldn't confuse Dunn and Southern not being good with being scared. I'd say they're more overmatched than anything else.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DCEagles30 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:02 am

So your saying the team did not play better with him on the floor against Wake? BTW concerning defense from our "bigs". Who do you think was in the game when MacFarland, Aminu, Woods, and Williams were getting all their interior buckets. Not during Ravenel's 10 minutes of action. He got in a bit of foul trouble, but was aggressive and physical. Their are issues with various facets on this team, but I don't understand why if Southern and Dunn have giving you NOTHING why not use the big 6'8 260lb kid on the bench who has shown signs but just has not gotten the minutes that they have. Makes no sense. In addition the majority of the comments/assessments concerning Ravenel are based on what? He only plays like eight mins a game and Al gives him minutes sporadically. I think the jury is still out on Ravenel but I would atleast like to see what we have in this kid before we write him off and he transfers somewhere else next season.
DCEagles30
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:25 am

DCEagles30 {l Wrote}:So your saying the team did not play better with him on the floor against Wake? BTW concerning defense from our "bigs". Who do you think was in the game when MacFarland, Aminu, Woods, and Williams were getting all their interior buckets. Not during Ravenel's 10 minutes of action. He got in a bit of foul trouble, but was aggressive and physical. Their are issues with various facets on this team, but I don't understand why if Southern and Dunn have giving you NOTHING why not use the big 6'8 260lb kid on the bench who has shown signs but just has not gotten the minutes that they have. Makes no sense. In addition the majority of the comments/assessments concerning Ravenel are based on what? He only plays like eight mins a game and Al gives him minutes sporadically. I think the jury is still out on Ravenel but I would atleast like to see what we have in this kid before we write him off and he transfers somewhere else next season.

My comments are not regarding the Wake game. You're saying Ravenel should get more PT based on a 10 minute fouling extravaganza...I'm basing my comments on his entire career up to this point. I wasn't saying that he shouldn't get more minutes, I was answering your question about why I think he does not get more minutes. I actually agree he should get more minutes (or at least be in the rotation), but not significantly (although at this point what could it hurt?). If he proves useful, then his minutes should increase accordingly. Plain and simple. IMO Dunn is still a better all-around defender and Southern is a better post defender. The problem with that being Southern's strength is that is rarely comes into play because teams penetrate against us and either he's too slow to help or he gets there and his man is wide open and he's too slow to get back. Southern's defensive skills (what little he has), would become more obvious in a zone or with a team that could cover their own men more often than not.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
DCEagles30 {l Wrote}:So your saying the team did not play better with him on the floor against Wake? BTW concerning defense from our "bigs". Who do you think was in the game when MacFarland, Aminu, Woods, and Williams were getting all their interior buckets. Not during Ravenel's 10 minutes of action. He got in a bit of foul trouble, but was aggressive and physical. Their are issues with various facets on this team, but I don't understand why if Southern and Dunn have giving you NOTHING why not use the big 6'8 260lb kid on the bench who has shown signs but just has not gotten the minutes that they have. Makes no sense. In addition the majority of the comments/assessments concerning Ravenel are based on what? He only plays like eight mins a game and Al gives him minutes sporadically. I think the jury is still out on Ravenel but I would atleast like to see what we have in this kid before we write him off and he transfers somewhere else next season.

My comments are not regarding the Wake game. You're saying Ravenel should get more PT based on a 10 minute fouling extravaganza...I'm basing my comments on his entire career up to this point. I wasn't saying that he shouldn't get more minutes, I was answering your question about why I think he does not get more minutes. I actually agree he should get more minutes (or at least be in the rotation), but not significantly (although at this point what could it hurt?). If he proves useful, then his minutes should increase accordingly. Plain and simple. IMO Dunn is still a better all-around defender and Southern is a better post defender. The problem with that being Southern's strength is that is rarely comes into play because teams penetrate against us and either he's too slow to help or he gets there and his man is wide open and he's too slow to get back. Southern's defensive skills (what little he has), would become more obvious in a zone or with a team that could cover their own men more often than not.

Why not try Jackson, Sanders, Trapani, Dunn and Southern on the floor at the same time against FSU? We have nothing to lose, our rebounding would improve and we'd still have plenty of scoring on the floor with Jackson, Sanders and Trap. Only concern is if FSU presses we're screwed.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:39 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Why not try Jackson, Sanders, Trapani, Dunn and Southern on the floor at the same time against FSU? We have nothing to lose, our rebounding would improve and we'd still have plenty of scoring on the floor with Jackson, Sanders and Trap. Only concern is if FSU presses we're screwed.

I would love to see Al mix it up. The only problem with that lineup that I see is that you're putting your top 3 "centers" in at the same time. Substituting and making sure no one gets exhausted could be difficult, and it will affect the rest of the game. But there's no reason that this lineup can't be worked in for stretches on occassion. And yes, the problem you mention with the press would be huge.

EDIT: On top of that, where is the offense coming from off the bench once the subbing starts? Biko? No. Raji or Elmore? While they've both improved their shooting from the elbow this season, most of their offensive contributions come from scrapping. Also don't foget about a huge potential for early foul trouble that will also dictate the rotations the rest of the game.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:57 am

All I know is that what Al has gone with to date has not worked and any variation to starting lineup, rotation, minutes etc is worth a shot. I also think that at this point the season is lost so you might as well start giving minutes to some guys like Ravenel who might benefit from it in the future. Roche played well but he is done after this year and has been a limited player for four years. Him getting 38 minutes does nothing for the future of the program. Everyone else will be back next year and could benefit from more minutes together trying some different things (ie no flex). I also think Al should use this opportunity to teach knowing the wins and losses mean nothing at this point. For example - bench Rakim the second he takes an off balance, contested ill advised three.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:All I know is that what Al has gone with to date has not worked and any variation to starting lineup, rotation, minutes etc is worth a shot. I also think that at this point the season is lost so you might as well start giving minutes to some guys like Ravenel who might benefit from it in the future. Roche played well but he is done after this year and has been a limited player for four years. Him getting 38 minutes does nothing for the future of the program. Everyone else will be back next year and could benefit from more minutes together trying some different things (ie no flex). I also think Al should use this opportunity to teach knowing the wins and losses mean nothing at this point. For example - bench Rakim the second he takes an off balance, contested ill advised three.

I agree with this. Problem is I doubt the coaching staff thinks of the season as being as "lost" as we do and is playing for an NIT berth, which will in turn influence their flexibility and risk-taking.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:32 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:All I know is that what Al has gone with to date has not worked and any variation to starting lineup, rotation, minutes etc is worth a shot. I also think that at this point the season is lost so you might as well start giving minutes to some guys like Ravenel who might benefit from it in the future. Roche played well but he is done after this year and has been a limited player for four years. Him getting 38 minutes does nothing for the future of the program. Everyone else will be back next year and could benefit from more minutes together trying some different things (ie no flex). I also think Al should use this opportunity to teach knowing the wins and losses mean nothing at this point. For example - bench Rakim the second he takes an off balance, contested ill advised three.

I agree with this. Problem is I doubt the coaching staff thinks of the season as being as "lost" as we do and is playing for an NIT berth, which will in turn influence their flexibility and risk-taking.

You are probably right, but I really hope they are not prioritizing a possible NIT berth this year over developing players for next year.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby DCEagles30 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:52 pm

I totally agree with Art. This team has taken some major steps backwards (mostly b/c of no point guard) and if BC is playing for an NIT berth that says something about a pretty good BC Basketball program (historically). Its about time that you try to find out what you have going into next year. Obviously we can't rely on the recruits coming in and having an impact (except for maybe Heslip out of neccessity) b/c that's not really Al's style so we need to have a better feel in what we have in Ravenel and Elmore in particular. Ravenel needs to show more on the offensive end, but I think with more pt he can provide some consistent scoring for BC down low. I personally liked the way he defended this past game as well as the game he played against Duke (1st time they played them, didn't even see the floor the 2nd time they played). Elmore has proved that he can "D" up well, but he needs to continue to be patient on offense and take what he gets (sorta like Raji, only with a better mid-range jumper). All of this kind of stuff comes with PT.
DCEagles30
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Every time we run in transition, the offense gets a good shot or an easy layup.

Every time we're in the half court offense, we either turn the ball over on a lazy pass, Sanders launches an awful shot or Jackson does his Tyrese Rice impression, attempting to pound the air out of the basketball before running that retarded screen play and trying to go 1 on 2.

This team needs to get out and run, our 1/2 court offense is dreadful. It's bad because of awful play design and bad players, mostly a PG who can't get us into the offense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:47 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Every time we're in the half court offense, we either turn the ball over on a lazy pass, Sanders launches an awful shot or Jackson does his Tyrese Rice impression, attempting to pound the air out of the basketball before running that retarded screen play and trying to go 1 on 2.

This team needs to get out and run, our 1/2 court offense is dreadful. It's bad because of awful play design and bad players, mostly a PG who can't get us into the offense.

Amen. We have a bunch of fast break players running the flex and (sort of) playing half court defense.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Amen. We have a bunch of fast break players running the flex and (sort of) playing half court defense.

Again, the worst defensive half I have ever seen BC Basketball play in the 15 or so years I have been watching Tues. Night against Wake. You don't need to have FSU/GT/Clemson athletes to fast break, we have the personnel to fast break and play some decent defense. If we had a shot block center, then we'd have something on defense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum