This offense is painful to watch

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

This offense is painful to watch

Postby Eagledom on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Pathetic. We need Haislip to be a good PG, or next year is going to be a repeat of this one.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Re: This offense is painful to watch

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:17 pm

The effort was good today.

The rest sucked. Score was closer than it should have been.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ChipsAndSalsa on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Honestly, it's not the flex that is the problem. We only run our offense like 50% of the time at best. The other half is just undisciplined garbage where Jackson or Trapani fires a three 5 seconds into the shot clock.
ChipsAndSalsa
n00b

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:50 pm

We'd be 18-5 at worst if we gave this effort every game.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Jackson runs a one-man Hoosiers offense. Spends 30 seconds before doing anything.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:09 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Jackson runs a one-man Hoosiers offense. Spends 30 seconds before doing anything.

I was thinking Tyrese Rice all over again while at the game.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:11 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Jackson runs a one-man Hoosiers offense. Spends 30 seconds before doing anything.

I was thinking Tyrese Rice all over again while at the game.

Except when Rice pulled up, he would hit the shot 9 out of 10 times.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Rakim Sanders hitting a 3 early was the worst thing that could have happened. It made him think he was a shooter and he kept chucking up ill advised shots. The team effort was as good as could be expected against a better team. Jackson has a little too much Rice in him (and that is not a compliment). Sanders had a nice block and some good defensive plays, but overall his defense sucked. He needs to learn to play D without using his hands so much.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:Rakim Sanders hitting a 3 early was the worst thing that could have happened. It made him think he was a shooter and he kept chucking up ill advised shots. The team effort was as good as could be expected against a better team. Jackson has a little too much Rice in him (and that is not a compliment). Sanders had a nice block and some good defensive plays, but overall his defense sucked. He needs to learn to play D without using his hands so much.

That's been the story with Rakim since day 1. He does not play to his strengths. He can't dribble, yet he continues to try to drive into traffic. He should be posting up and exploiting the mismatch he is so often confronted with. He is a great defender when he puts forth the effort, yet he takes it easy too often.
AQnd as far as saying this offense is painful to watch...I wasn't even referring to the flex. I was referring to the fact that Biko sucks, and Jackson has absolutely NO idea how to play the point. That leads to long stretches of offense that is just pathetic.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:08 pm

I thought Al polished raw talent, or was it the other coaches before him?

It's simple with tmeouts, inbounds paly, not taking and getting a great 3 shot early at the end like Duke did with Singler after a TO, -----ALSleep had great assistants and Dudley and Smith were great, but his coaching without them sucks and he is a lazy ass recruiter.

Look at his demeanor at the end...i call Spazoo the cataonic calzone, ----Alsleep was standing there not yelling or motioning like Coach K and any number of other Coaches.

ALSLEEP just needs to go. BC needs some juice, energy and a Coach with a different persona-or one taht will get off his lazy barcolounger ass and get some of the kids who go to the Top 25 schools like BC look-alikes who are embarrassing BC.

AL SKINNER IS NOW AN EMBARRASSMENT TO BC AND HIS RECRUITING IS A JOKE.

Forget the ACC record, its the NCAA performance and the recruiting.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:52 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:Rakim Sanders hitting a 3 early was the worst thing that could have happened. It made him think he was a shooter and he kept chucking up ill advised shots. The team effort was as good as could be expected against a better team. Jackson has a little too much Rice in him (and that is not a compliment). Sanders had a nice block and some good defensive plays, but overall his defense sucked. He needs to learn to play D without using his hands so much.

That's been the story with Rakim since day 1. He does not play to his strengths. He can't dribble, yet he continues to try to drive into traffic. He should be posting up and exploiting the mismatch he is so often confronted with. He is a great defender when he puts forth the effort, yet he takes it easy too often.
AQnd as far as saying this offense is painful to watch...I wasn't even referring to the flex. I was referring to the fact that Biko sucks, and Jackson has absolutely NO idea how to play the point. That leads to long stretches of offense that is just pathetic.

Couldn't agree more. With Sanders athleticism playing good defense is just a matter of desire. He has flashes where he shows he has the ability, but can't put in the effort consistently and overall his defense sux because of it.

I also can't figure out why Al can't get this team to make better decisions on shot selection. No one on this team is a good enough three point shooter to have a green light at all times. It's one thing if you are wide open, but no one on this team should be taking contested threes with 25 seconds left on the shot clock. Rakim obviously is the worst offender.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby chuckfrombc on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:56 am

The surprising thing is that you cannot figure out why Al cannot make his players make better decisions. Unless he has players that self coach like in did a few years ago, they have always made poor decisions. Watch this team play when they start the second half of each game and see how (in most instances) they are outplayed the first five minutes of the second half and normally outplayed the last three minutes of each game. Other coaches make adjustments and BC does not.

There's no surprise. The players know only one offense and they continue to make mistakes when they are called to step out of that comfort zone.
chuckfrombc
Carney Hall

Postby screagle on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:10 am

While Biko remains a huge disappointment this year (close to but not as much as Rakim), I thought he had his best game of the season yesterday. He actually played with some confidence, drove to the hole, made some nice passes, directed his teammates and didn't have that deer in headlights look that he's had all season. Reggie was at the point during that painful offensive stretch during the first half. Alsleep should have recognized this and pulled him instead of rewarding him. Our last possession of the VT game turned over - strike one. The last two possessions of the FSU game - strike two. This dribbling around for 34 seconds and heaving off-balanced three's should have been strike three. Yet, Reggie remained on the floor repeating the same mistakes. And of course he took the ball down the floor for our last possession of the game and, once again, failed. strike four.

I love Reggie, but he will never be our answer at the point. He's an experienced soph and still making the decisions of an inexperienced frosh. He simply needs to be playing the two.

This may sound crazy, but it's too bad Roche doesn't have a better handle... he at least has the aptitude to make better decisions and run the flex. I hope the staff is doing something to recruit a serviceable PG.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 am

screagle- fully agree. Paris looked good out there yesterday. It's too bad Al didn't recognize this fact. If Biko is playing well, you absolutely have to keep him in the game because Jackson is no PG.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DaveSpeed on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:26 am

BC misses Coen and Cooley big time. The assistants are useless and Cassara, well, who the fuck has he recruited? I'd rather watch Reggie spin rhe ball on one finger or do some other tricks as he prepares for a career with the Globetrotters; its painful watching him dribble aimlessly. Al better make some changes in the offseason or next year is going to be Groundhog Day all over again.
DaveSpeed
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 am

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:The surprising thing is that you cannot figure out why Al cannot make his players make better decisions. Unless he has players that self coach like in did a few years ago, they have always made poor decisions. Watch this team play when they start the second half of each game and see how (in most instances) they are outplayed the first five minutes of the second half and normally outplayed the last three minutes of each game. Other coaches make adjustments and BC does not.

There's no surprise. The players know only one offense and they continue to make mistakes when they are called to step out of that comfort zone.

Agreed, but Rakim Sanders or Joe Trapani taking an off balance contested three with 26 seconds on the shot clock is unacceptable. The flex sux, but in those instances they aren't even running the flex. Whenever they do that they should be benched immediately. It doesn't even take a good coach to do that...just some common sense and and a set of balls, which apparently Al lacks.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby DallasEire on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:06 pm

This is, without a doubt, one of the worst coaching jobs going in the country today.

This team sucks.

They cannot shoot.

They cannot in-bound the fucking ball - a play so elementary that apparently they take it for granted yet this is collegiate BASKETBALL. A sport that tends to send forth some of the lowest specimens of intellect currently parading around on this planet.

They refuse to play defense.

They exhibit no signs of basketball IQ - how do you walk the ball up the court with twelve seconds left ???

They cannot dribble. It is fantastic to watch Rakim when he wants to protect his dribble. He just tries to produce a dribble capable of breaking the actual hardwood - the problem he has is skill not the speed at which he fires the ball into the ground.

When you have a basketball team that cannot produce on any of the fundamental aspects of the game then you HAVE to apply full-court pressure. This team needs to score to gain confidence. It is not in need of more painful half-court sets, whether in the flex or the Reggie Retard mode, it needs to apply pressure.

This team has only showed some basic form of life when they get out and run. This is no accident. They don't have the skill or intellect to run a half-court set. What is it that Al doesn't get with this team ? This team will cost him his job but he would be fully deserving at this point. He coaches lazily. He recruits lazily. If you're gonna go the route of just rolling the ball out you might want to make sure you have a Phi Slamma Jamma roster and not this collection of garbage...

There is not one player other than Roche - yes, Roche - that has developed in the absolute least since arriving on campus. When you watch Sanders, Raji, Paris, Jackson, and Southern still with the same BASIC flaws in their game, that are not only still there but absolutely accentuated by exponential regression, it falls on the head coach.

Very frustrating team. If your team is going to suck at least show some form of entertainment by possibly displaying just one of three qualities: great effort, a functioning offense, or athleticism. When you show no ability in any of the accounts i imagine it is a lot like what it must be like to have IUPUI or NJIT as your college basketball team.

I would give Al just one more year after the lack of development from this core. I wouldn't be resting my hopes on Hairlip either.... Has anyone actually watched the level of competition he played against ?? I'm not sure but i don't think the Winnipeg Prep league is actually known for turning out functioning basketball players.... Hey, at least it can't be said that we're furthering that favorite NCAA kabuki theatre of the absurd by mining the intellectual halls of East St. Louis and Gary, IN for misunderstood and overlooked collegiate athletes and future contributors to..... the penal system
DallasEire
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:22 pm

DallasEire {l Wrote}:This is, without a doubt, one of the worst coaching jobs going in the country today.

This team sucks.

They cannot shoot.

They cannot in-bound the fucking ball - a play so elementary that apparently they take it for granted yet this is collegiate BASKETBALL. A sport that tends to send forth some of the lowest specimens of intellect currently parading around on this planet.

They exhibit no signs of basketball IQ - how do you walk the ball up the court with twelve seconds left ???

They cannot dribble. It is fantastic to watch Rakim when he wants to protect his dribble. He just tries to produce a dribble capable of breaking the actual hardwood - the problem he has is skill not the speed at which he fires the ball into the ground.

When you have a basketball team that cannot produce on any of the fundamental aspects of the game then you HAVE to apply full-court pressure. This team needs to score to gain confidence. It is not in need of more painful half-court sets, whether in the flex or the Reggie Retard mode, it needs to apply pressure.

This team has only showed some basic form of life when they get out and run. This is no accident. They don't have the skill or intellect to run a half-court set. What is it that Al doesn't get with this team ? This team will cost him his job but he would be fully deserving at this point. He coaches lazily. He recruits lazily. If you're gonna go the route of just rolling the ball out you might want to make sure you have a Phi Slamma Jamma roster and not this collection of garbage...

There is not one player other than Roche - yes, Roche - that has developed in the absolute least since arriving on campus. When you watch Sanders, Raji, Paris, Jackson, and Southern still with the same BASIC flaws in their game, that are not only still there but absolutely accentuated by exponential regression, it falls on the head coach.

Very frustrating team. If your team is going to suck at least show some form of entertainment by possibly displaying just one of three qualities: great effort, a functioning offense, or athleticism. When you show no ability in any of the accounts i imagine it is a lot like what it must be like to have IUPUI or NJIT as your college basketball team.

I would give Al just one more year after the lack of development from this core. I wouldn't be resting my hopes on Hairlip either.... Has anyone actually watched the level of competition he played against ?? I'm not sure but i don't think the Winnipeg Prep league is actually known for turning out functioning basketball players.... Hey, at least it can't be said that we're furthering that favorite NCAA kabuki theatre of the absurd by mining the intellectual halls of East St. Louis and Gary, IN for misunderstood and overlooked collegiate athletes and future contributors to..... the penal system

2010 FUCKING FACIAL OF THE YEAR WINNER, and its only February...WOW!!

:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :couch

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Excellent early post. I think Dunn & Elmore have improved. Dunn is solid on D and can get the occasional garbage buckets. Elmore's athleticism and EFFORT is nice to see on the defensive end. But agreed none of the big players have improved one iota.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:27 pm

..Alas, my poor Alsleep, the fault is not in the shot clock but in your pathetic coaching......

TOBLUNDERS0-13, ALSLEEP, MUTCHBANGER.....how much more can we endure..

I have the "CALCIFIED CATATONIC CALZONE" Spazoo on probation.

Spazoo may go 14-0 and redemm himself.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:45 pm

lack of ability to get a defensive rebound cost BC this game. I can accept the fact that an opponent (in this case Duke) will get alot of lucky bounces off of long missed shots, and you chalk that up to bad breaks. But there were too many situations where BC was standing around after a shot and allowed Duke to get an easy offensive rebound. The most memorable instance happened with approx 2 minutes to play. BC had cut the lead to 4, played a solid defense possesion, then stood and watch a long miss roll to the side of the key for a Duke player to field it like a ground ball, standing still. Not one BC defender was in position, not one had boxed out, and not one player even tried for the rebound.

disgusting.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Heights on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:22 pm

The flex aside, BC's strategy is now desperation by attempting to keep the game to the absolute minimum number of possessions. Killing time is intentional, we did it in certain matchups last year, but now it's constant. We're trying to keep the game in the 50s. Must be awesome for a potential recruit to watch.
"We have everyone on our 2010 schedule but the New England Patriots"

Frank Spaziani
Heights
n00b

Postby Eagledom on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:38 pm

DallasEire {l Wrote}:This is, without a doubt, one of the worst coaching jobs going in the country today.

This team sucks.

They cannot shoot.

Its nice to see everyone finally coming around...it took a while, but people are finally beginning to realize.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:28 pm

DaveSpeed {l Wrote}:BC misses Coen and Cooley big time. The assistants are useless and Cassara, well, who the fuck has he recruited? I'd rather watch Reggie spin rhe ball on one finger or do some other tricks as he prepares for a career with the Globetrotters; its painful watching him dribble aimlessly. Al better make some changes in the offseason or next year is going to be Groundhog Day all over again.

They miss Coen and Cooley big time. Unfortunately Al's choice of Duquette to replace Coen is the beginning of the failures that has beset this team. Think about it, the last time BC did not recruit a single player was during Gary Williams last year at the heights. There are no excuses for this calamity.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:39 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}: Its nice to see everyone finally coming around...it took a while, but people are finally beginning to realize.

We were ahead of the curve.

I never liked AlsleepSkinner from his firts NCAA flub.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Return to Conte Forum