Heights Editor

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Heights Editor

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:44 am

Wrote a column today essentially writing off Al this season:

"I think It's Time We Break Up" by Zach Weilgus

Stop it, Al. Just stop it. You’re doing it again, and honestly, I don’t think I can take it anymore.

I was discouraged when we dropped two games in the Paradise Jam tournament – one of which was to St. Joseph’s, currently 8-12 – back in November. I was appalled when we followed up another loss to Harvard with an 11-point shellacking to Rhode Island at home. And I was finally ready to write the season off after we couldn’t handle the formidable Maine Black Bears inside Conte Forum.

I was doing so well with this separation, too. I didn’t have to watch any of the three straight ACC losses in person, and I didn’t catch a second of the pair of 16-point losses to Clemson and Maryland. You and the men’s basketball team were out of sight, out of mind, and I was moving on.

But then you started playing games with my heart. You’re worse than that blond girl in the Mods who clearly was flirting with me when “Tik Tok” was playing on Saturday night and then just got up and left. (You know who you are.)

How could I not take notice of the epic comeback in Miami to salvage the wavering hope of fans across campus that this season could still end in success? Al, you and the Eagles always had a passion for flair. Against my better judgment, I came crawling back to Raycom on the afternoon on Jan. 23. Once again, you triumphantly battled back and had Virginia Tech on the ropes. And then you walked out again. A stupid inbounds pass, a needless jump ball, a porous defense, and then a misplaced foot tarnished what we had.

I was done. I gave you a second chance, and you let me down. “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.” I was not about to be made a fool by the likes of Boston College basketball.

But then, Al, you go and engineer a perfect gameplan against No. 21 Clemson, blitzing the unsuspecting Tigers and emerging with a six-point victory. I saw what could be, what with solid bench play, a new sporadic full-court press, and stingy defense. As much as I didn’t want to stand and cheer from behind the student section, I had to. I felt like Gordan Bombay in D3 when Charlie spots him lurking on the concourse following the Eden Hall Ducks’ breathtaking win: proud, but still slightly detached from it all.

That was my state when I walked into a shockingly bustling Conte Forum Saturday afternoon. Conflicted, vacillating between painstaking interest and prideful indifference, and needing a stiff drink to work up the courage to face you, I sat, hoping that we could at least draw even. After 39 minutes, I had let you back in. I anxiously watched and wanted nothing more than to forget the past and start over after you disposed of Florida State. The Eagles proved they could run with Clemson and grind it out over the Seminoles, so it was time I apologized and we began anew.

For the third time, though, my trust was broken. Two turnovers? A botched free-throw attempt? Virtually no defense on a backbreaking 3-pointer? That’s how you tried to win me back? Despite a distinct height disadvantage, you had the team in control and prepared to reach 4-4 in the conference. All could be forgotten entering the biggest game of the year, and all would feel right again for the first time since this topsy-turvy season, full of unexpected highs and head-scratching lows, began.

Then you just gave it away. Others saw what happened, but they merely shrugged their shoulders and claimed the late-game surge and ensuing victory wasn’t that unexpected. But they don’t know you like I do. This one had “turn the season around, we’re making a push for the Tournament” written all over it. Now it’s gone.

I’m sorry, Al, but I’m done. And no, I don’t think we can be friends.

http://www.bcheights.com/sports/i-think-it-s-time-we-break-up-1.1108729
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Heights Editor

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:57 am

Note that he does not have the stones to say "Fire Al."
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:01 am

Exactly what I was thinking DGF.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:04 am

or say we shoulda fired him like I said 3 years ago....

PATHETIC HOUSE STOOGE NO BALLS LACKEY...Mommy let me keep my writing slot job.....and I don't want to offend the Yawkey Yokels....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 am

Completely agree with that guy.

I'm really sick and tired of this act with BC Basketball. Get a new coach, give me 4 top 150 recruits (if UVA can do it, we can) and let's go.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 am

these kids should stick to stories about how much the newton bus and forced triples suck.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:21 am

This is what happens when even a Catholic school tries to be super PC…….. you guys are right grow a pair and say what many people have been thinking for a long time…….FIRE AL !!!!!!! Don’t get me wrong it was decent for a watered-down fluff piece
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:26 pm

I would say he didn't say fire Al because he didn't want to lose contact with him and his ability to get quotes. But he couldn't even do that in the first place, so there really was nothing to lose by saying Fire Al.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Return to Conte Forum