Brady Heslip

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Brady Heslip

Postby Dirtywater75 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:55 am

The more I read about this kid from Canada - the more I like him. He does not sound jaded in the least (even though his uncle is head coach of the Raptors) and his confidence, enthusiasm and devotion to practice are very welcome. He sounds like a special kid. He may very well become something special for the Eagles. He said that he thinks he's the happiest kid in North America! (Holy crap - when was the last time you heard a teenager say something like that?) I really look forward to seeing what we have here. Although I am no fan of Skinner, I hope the three recruits for next year will earn him some measure of respect.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Re: Brady Heslip

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:17 am

This kid seems legit. I follow him on twitter and every day he's posting (tweeting, I guess?) about how happy he is to be at BC, and it's always "headed to the gym to get my shots up." Seems like a strong work ethic and good attitude.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:02 am

Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:The more I read about this kid from Canada - the more I like him. He does not sound jaded in the least (even though his uncle is head coach of the Raptors) and his confidence, enthusiasm and devotion to practice are very welcome. He sounds like a special kid. He may very well become something special for the Eagles. He said that he thinks he's the happiest kid in North America! (Holy crap - when was the last time you heard a teenager say something like that?) I really look forward to seeing what we have here. Although I am no fan of Skinner, I hope the three recruits for next year will earn him some measure of respect.

I was looking at the rankings for the class of 2010 and it looks like the ACC has a lot of really good recruiting classes coming in. BC was listed as 11th out of 12 with 5 ACC teams in the top 25 nationally. Obviously rankings aren't everything, but it's all we have to go on with kids coming out of high school. I had been reading posts earlier in the year that seemed to indicate this class was something special, but it seems like relative to the rest of the conference its not. Am I mising something?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:The more I read about this kid from Canada - the more I like him. He does not sound jaded in the least (even though his uncle is head coach of the Raptors) and his confidence, enthusiasm and devotion to practice are very welcome. He sounds like a special kid. He may very well become something special for the Eagles. He said that he thinks he's the happiest kid in North America! (Holy crap - when was the last time you heard a teenager say something like that?) I really look forward to seeing what we have here. Although I am no fan of Skinner, I hope the three recruits for next year will earn him some measure of respect.

I was looking at the rankings for the class of 2010 and it looks like the ACC has a lot of really good recruiting classes coming in. BC was listed as 11th out of 12 with 5 ACC teams in the top 25 nationally. Obviously rankings aren't everything, but it's all we have to go on with kids coming out of high school. I had been reading posts earlier in the year that seemed to indicate this class was something special, but it seems like relative to the rest of the conference its not. Am I mising something?

We have a skinny kid from Minnesota and a skinny kid from Canada. They're not likely to be highly ranked.

Of course, if each claimed an offer from Duke, they'd be eight-star recruits.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BC '00 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:10 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

What you're missing is that BC has never had a highly ranked hoops recruiting class, yet have managed to make the tournament and actually be good on occasion. So if you like BC Basketball (I like BC Basketball) I suggest ignoring basketball recruiting rankings. They're even less indicative of BC's success than the football rankings.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:36 am

You seem a touch defensive about this topic. All I will say in response to that is that making the tournament is not good enough for me and a few highly rated recruits once in a while might not hurt. UVA has 4 guys coming in next year that are top 150 and there is no reason we should not be able to beat out UVA for recruits.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:54 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

We have a skinny kid from Minnesota and a skinny kid from Canada. They're not likely to be highly ranked.

Of course, if each claimed an offer from Duke, they'd be eight-star recruits.

Don't forget the skinny kid from Nigeria by way of Florida.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:58 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:You seem a touch defensive about this topic. All I will say in response to that is that making the tournament is not good enough for me and a few highly rated recruits once in a while might not hurt. UVA has 4 guys coming in next year that are top 150 and there is no reason we should not be able to beat out UVA for recruits.

Based on what? Sean Singletary was a top recruit. Ty Rice was not. Now they play each other in Greece or Turkey or something. Because neither was really better than the other coming out. Either that, or Al is a great coach developing talent like that.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:01 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:You seem a touch defensive about this topic. All I will say in response to that is that making the tournament is not good enough for me and a few highly rated recruits once in a while might not hurt. UVA has 4 guys coming in next year that are top 150 and there is no reason we should not be able to beat out UVA for recruits.

The issue with the "rankings" in basketball (I guess this is true in football as well, but kids are not expected to contribute from day 1 in football) is that outside of the top 10-15 they are usually based purely on athletic ability and not basketball skills/acumen. In the end, there is no chance that a) these kids will come to BC and run the flex and b) even if they did arrive likely would not run the offense.

Now you can debate the flex/al/etc, but that is the current situation and until it changes I do not see us getting the 4/5 star recruits.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:03 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:

The issue with the "rankings" in basketball (I guess this is true in football as well, but kids are not expected to contribute from day 1 in football) is that outside of the top 10-15 they are usually based purely on athletic ability and not basketball skills/acumen. In the end, there is no chance that a) these kids will come to BC and run the flex and b) even if they did arrive likely would not run the offense.

Now you can debate the flex/al/etc, but that is the current situation and until it changes I do not see us getting the 4/5 star recruits.

We got 4 star Josh Southern.

:chewbanka
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:05 pm

I don't know about you but I've never seen any of these high school kids play so all I can base my opinion of them on is their rankings, stats and other people's opinions that have seen them play. When a kid is ranked in the top ten or top 50 or whatever there is a reason for that. Obviously a lot happens in 4 years and kids develop differently, but that does not mean we should not want top ranked guys. if we can't ever get them becuase of Al or the flex or whatever reason that is a poor reflection on Al and his staff.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}: UVA has 4 guys coming in next year that are top 150 and there is no reason we should not be able to beat out UVA for recruits.

I recently saw one of those UVA recruits play live - the big kid from that HS up in Buffalo - and...he sucked. I hope he's a starter for them the next four years.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:08 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:Obviously a lot happens in 4 years and kids develop differently, but that does not mean we should not want top ranked guys. if we can't ever get them becuase of Al or the flex or whatever reason that is a poor reflection on Al and his staff.

Absolutely and thankfully there are ~200 threads about al and his staff to discuss this topic.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:09 pm

The kid Derosiers from around here and headed to Wake gets the Wake fans all giggly. And he is terrible.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The kid Derosiers from around here and headed to Wake gets the Wake fans all giggly. And he is terrible.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that this is hilarious. I didn't give a shit about Murphy either.

Odom was a tough loss though, no matter what the EA Al sycophants say.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The kid Derosiers from around here and headed to Wake gets the Wake fans all giggly. And he is terrible.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that this is hilarious. I didn't give a shit about Murphy either.

Agreed on Odom. That was a major miss for Al.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:14 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Agreed on Odom. That was a major miss for Al.

Especially given the fact that the current team lacks leadership. I would of loved to have a guy who wanted to be a vocal leader and captain from day one, even if it's a bit unrealistic in realtiy. This is the type of attitude that we need more of (see Dudley, Jared).
Last edited by bignick33 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BC '00 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:39 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

this has more to do with his delicious wang than his basketballedness...

in other news, wake fans think every recruit is the next tim duncan. they have not been since... tim duncan

Wasn't Chris Paul the next Tim Duncan? Or was he the next Randolph Childress?
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:06 pm

You probably wouldn't call him "terrible" if he picked BC. Just sayin' :shrug
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:14 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I called him terrible when BC was still recruiting him. He's a poor man's Nate Doornekamp, without the jump shot.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I called him terrible when BC was still recruiting him. He's a poor man's Nate Doornekamp, without the jump shot.

Does that make Southern a homeless man's Nate Doornekamp - also without a jump shot?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Does that make Southern a homeless man's Nate Doornekamp - also without a jump shot?

Southern is one of those big recruits you insist on Al getting. But yes.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Nate Doornekamp

I see the name and my brain goes on hiatus and seizes up, but its very slow and deliberate--like Nate!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:55 am

At least Doornekamp had balls. Maybe it's because he's Canadian and thus views every activity through the lens of hockey, but he was routinely on the verge of fighting someone.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:56 am

Nort loved to freestyle rap.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

funny that you are now backing off your "southern is great" stance. I guess you'll take either side of the argument if it helps your point.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:23 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

funny that you are now backing off your "southern is great" stance. I guess you'll take either side of the argument if it helps your point.

Southern is clearly a disappointment. But I also note that he is back in the starting lineup and that shit short lineup that you all jacked off to for 2 non conference wins completely fucked BC during the conference schedule. All I have ever said is that he has to play, he rebounds, and he plays decent defense. All of which is true.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Southern is clearly a disappointment. But I also note that he is back in the starting lineup and that shit short lineup that you all jacked off to for 2 non conference wins completely fucked BC during the conference schedule. All I have ever said is that he has to play, he rebounds, and he plays decent defense. All of which is true.

A. I never wanted a small lineup - I wanted A to give some of his minutes to Dunn. Which he has.
B. He is a TERRIBLE rebounder for a big guy.
C. Before he played "awesome" defense...now its "decent"...nice backtracking.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

A. I never wanted a small lineup - I wanted A to give some of his minutes to Dunn. Which he has.
B. He is a TERRIBLE rebounder for a big guy.
C. Before he played "awesome" defense...now its "decent"...nice backtracking.

Fuckdick. I said he plays awesome defense on his man, which he did again today. He is mediocre at help side defense. He is decent overall.

You fucking win every argument that no one is having with you.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:42 pm

Southern got out muscled all day today, as he does every game. Disgusting.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum