Pat Duquette on Tyler Roche

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Pat Duquette on Tyler Roche

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:40 am

This is an interesting read.

We have a lot of very good "team players" here at Boston College.

One of the best we have (and one of the best I have ever seen) is our only senior Tyler Roche. He has played more roles in his four years than any player I have coached. He began his freshman year getting very few minutes and did not play in a lot of games. Midway through the year, he saw his role change and his minutes increased significantly. By the end of the season, Tyler was in the starting line up and he started our last six games including post-season games in the ACC tournament and NCAA tournament. He hit two huge shots in a 2nd round NCAA game against Georgetown.

His sophomore year he started 23 games, but by the end of the year was reduced to a supporting role as we brought in a large class of freshmen who were now receiving more playing time. He never complained. He only worked harder.

Early in his junior year, Tyler made five of seven three pointers and singlehandedly helped us avoid an early non-conference upset. Then he came off the bench for all of his junior year as younger players were earning more minutes. He only worked harder and got better. Later that season, during a crucial game against sixth-ranked Duke, Tyler scored eight points including two crucial shots down the stretch which gave us a win that helped lead to a NCAA tournament berth.

In his senior year, Tyler has been named a co-captain and he has continued to accept multiple roles within our team. With players out during our first two games, he started and scored 30 points, on 10-12 from the field including four of five on three-pointers. The next game he played 39 minutes and scored 19 points, again shooting well on three-pointers (5-6). But after we were at full strength again, he embraced his role coming off the bench again. Sometimes he plays a lot and sometimes he plays as little as 10-12 minutes a game. Yet every time he steps on the floor he is prepared, he competes, he leads, and he produces.

Tyler's experience has made me appreciate the importance of "team players." Every coach needs them. Every winning team needs them. They are totally invested in the program. They accept any role necessary. They are loyal, hard working, tough, smart, and completely selfless. Competitive by nature, but willing to help their teammates any way they can. Extremely self motivated, but anxious to subvert their own success for the team's success. They understand that defense wins games. They are prepared to take the big shot when needed, yet always willing to make the extra pass to the open man. They jump at the chance to take a charge - the ultimate selfless act of a teammate (in my opinion) - because not only does it show you are in position to help your teammate who got beat by their man, but it reflects your willingness to help that teammate by giving up your body even when you know there is a good chance that it is going to hurt. Players who take charges are GREAT teammates.

Tyler takes charges! He is a great leader, a selfless person, and the ultimate "team player." Glad we have him!!

http://collegechalktalk.com/coachesDiary/boston_college/2009-10_releases/1.28.10duquette
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Re: Pat Duquette on Tyler Roche

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:57 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:should we change his name to aaron ward?

No. Aaron Ward (apparently) = Ricky Davis.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:18 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:This is an interesting read.

...Tyler's experience has made me appreciate the importance of "team players." Every coach needs them. Every winning team needs them. They are totally invested in the program. They accept any role necessary. They are loyal, hard working, tough, smart, and completely selfless. Competitive by nature, but willing to help their teammates any way they can. Extremely self motivated, but anxious to subvert their own success for the team's success. They understand that defense wins games. They are prepared to take the big shot when needed, yet always willing to make the extra pass to the open man. They jump at the chance to take a charge - the ultimate selfless act of a teammate (in my opinion) - because not only does it show you are in position to help your teammate who got beat by their man, but it reflects your willingness to help that teammate by giving up your body even when you know there is a good chance that it is going to hurt. Players who take charges are GREAT teammates.

Tyler takes charges! He is a great leader, a selfless person, and the ultimate "team player." Glad we have him!!

http://collegechalktalk.com/coachesDiary/boston_college/2009-10_releases/1.28.10duquette

Maybe if the rewarded the behavior instead of kicking him to the curb everytime the next potential superstar walks through the door they might be able to build a program.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:48 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

...Tyler's experience has made me appreciate the importance of "team players." Every coach needs them. Every winning team needs them. They are totally invested in the program. They accept any role necessary. They are loyal, hard working, tough, smart, and completely selfless. Competitive by nature, but willing to help their teammates any way they can. Extremely self motivated, but anxious to subvert their own success for the team's success. They understand that defense wins games. They are prepared to take the big shot when needed, yet always willing to make the extra pass to the open man. They jump at the chance to take a charge - the ultimate selfless act of a teammate (in my opinion) - because not only does it show you are in position to help your teammate who got beat by their man, but it reflects your willingness to help that teammate by giving up your body even when you know there is a good chance that it is going to hurt. Players who take charges are GREAT teammates.

Maybe if the rewarded the behavior instead of kicking him to the curb everytime the next potential superstar walks through the door they might be able to build a program.

Then you'd just complain that Roche was playing too much and that he sucked.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:50 pm

Tyler Roche was not ACC level talent worthy. Great kid though!

Duquette and his son on the Clemson game are nice BC guys.

We need a Head Coach though!

Thanks for the sunshine.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:Maybe if the rewarded the behavior instead of kicking him to the curb everytime the next potential superstar walks through the door they might be able to build a program.

Please do not tell me you are suggesting Roche was going to be an All-ACC type player. I actually like him as a role player (10ish minutes is fine with me). IMO he cares the most about the team and while he may suck, I'll take his passion over Rakim's downright laziness everyday. But to say he was eventually going to turn into a 15-20 ppg player is ridiculous.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:26 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

Here at Boston College we would never dream of rewarding loyalty and hard work with an undeserving spot in the starting lineup or coaching position.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bcaddict on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:06 pm

ugh ohh, don't let TW see this....

I wish there were someone on this board who had been saying this same sh*t about Tyler since he got here....ohh wait
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby Shredder on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:38 pm

I give Roche a lot of credit for his time at BC. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time his freshman year, stepping into the ACC as a freshman playing power forward because Cheech and Chong were thrown off the team. Then the next year Dudley and Marshall were gone and the team was bad. Last year and this year it always look like the team plays well when he's on the floor because despite his athletic shortcomings, he is a smart player. I don't think he ever could be a top ACC player but he has become a versatile and valuable role player and by all accounts is dedicated to his team and BC.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

Then you'd just complain that Roche was playing too much and that he sucked.

That's already a problem.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Tyler Roche, nice kid, great leader, and the 5th or 6th best 9th man in the ACC.

:kudos
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCFAN94 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:26 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:Maybe if the rewarded the behavior instead of kicking him to the curb everytime the next potential superstar walks through the door they might be able to build a program.

Please do not tell me you are suggesting Roche was going to be an All-ACC type player. I actually like him as a role player (10ish minutes is fine with me). IMO he cares the most about the team and while he may suck, I'll take his passion over Rakim's downright laziness everyday. But to say he was eventually going to turn into a 15-20 ppg player is ridiculous.

All I am suggesting is that sometimes the best player for the team and the program may not be the flashiest, an all star or the next NBA superstar. Other players may see that hard work and loyalty are admirable qualities, and the coach appreciates them. Then, maybe hard working, loyal AND talented players would want to play for BC. Roche has been a huge dissappointment in my book. I was hoping he was a Reddick type of dead eye shooter that could turn games around but he hasn't been at all consistent in past seasons (I haven't been to or watched a BC basketball game yet this year) and he has certainly not been any Redick. BUT, sometimes you have to feed the expectations theory to build a program and reward hard work.

Al's teams quit on Smith, they quit on Dudley, they quit on Rice and now they just plain quit. Al's biggest sin has been bad team dynamics for as long as I can remember, now with no superstar to help BC steal a few games, Al has been exposed. I actually stopped posting last year because posters said that you need to give him a break because next year the team is really going to gel. Well, it ain't going to happen this year either.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:53 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

All I am suggesting is that sometimes the best player for the team and the program may not be the flashiest, an all star or the next NBA superstar. Other players may see that hard work and loyalty are admirable qualities, and the coach appreciates them. Then, maybe hard working, loyal AND talented players would want to play for BC. Roche has been a huge dissappointment in my book. I was hoping he was a Reddick type of dead eye shooter that could turn games around but he hasn't been at all consistent in past seasons (I haven't been to or watched a BC basketball game yet this year) and he has certainly not been any Redick. BUT, sometimes you have to feed the expectations theory to build a program and reward hard work.

Al's teams quit on Smith, they quit on Dudley, they quit on Rice and now they just plain quit. Al's biggest sin has been bad team dynamics for as long as I can remember, now with no superstar to help BC steal a few games, Al has been exposed. I actually stopped posting last year because posters said that you need to give him a break because next year the team is really going to gel. Well, it ain't going to happen this year either.

How much exactly do you want to "reward hard work"? 35 minutes/game?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:00 am

The team managers work pretty hard. Time to start giving them some run.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:52 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

The tip off and significant minutes.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:00 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

WTF are you talking about? Dudley was part of "Al's team" that quit on Smith. Please try to make some sense.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:17 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

You think Roche deserves to start and get more than his 18 per? You're nuts. They didn't and haven't kicked him to the curb. He's 6th in minutes by the way. You'd be a great coach, though.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:17 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

You think Roche deserves to start and get more than his 18 per? You're nuts. They didn't and haven't kicked him to the curb. He's 6th in minutes by the way. You'd be a great coach, though.

Well, I am sure in addition to you VAST football stardom and coaching experience, you are probably the board expert in all things basketball too. Other opinions need not be heard.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:30 pm

We've been through this 100's of times with Roche, and I don't really care what the coaching staff says. Roche is fine for 10 minutes a game, but when he plays PF or plays more than 10 minutes, he sucks. He's slow, unathletic and really not that great of a shooter.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:39 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:We've been through this 100's of times with Roche, and I don't really care what the coaching staff says. Roche is fine for 10 minutes a game, but when he plays PF or plays more than 10 minutes, he sucks. He's slow, unathletic and really not that great of a shooter.

I generally agree with you, but I'd put the cap at 15 minutes. How many times do we have go over the fact that he's a solid role player, right? I actually think he's solid rebounder for his size too, but not any moreso than Raji and Trap, who are the guys that he's normally replacing.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:53 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:We've been through this 100's of times with Roche, and I don't really care what the coaching staff says. Roche is fine for 10 minutes a game, but when he plays PF or plays more than 10 minutes, he sucks. He's slow, unathletic and really not that great of a shooter.

I generally agree with you, but I'd put the cap at 15 minutes. How many times do we have go over the fact that he's a solid role player, right? I actually think he's solid rebounder for his size too, but not any moreso than Raji and Trap, who are the guys that he's normally replacing.

He's also about 6'6" and Al plays him at PF which is straight out retarded since he's rebounding against people 4 inches taller than he is sometimes. There's no fucking way Roche should be playing the 4 against FSU, Clemson, GT, etc.

Ok fine 15 minutes a game, all played at SF. None at PF.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:16 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Well, I am sure in addition to you VAST football stardom and coaching experience, you are probably the board expert in all things basketball too. Other opinions need not be heard.

Your opinion can be heard, but I point out that it's a terrible one. While you're trying to skirt the issue, I'm trying to figure out why you believe that Roche should get more than 18 min a game and how exactly Al kicked a non-ACC caliber player to the curb. Feel free to expand at your leisure.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:43 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Your opinion can be heard, but I point out that it's a terrible one. While you're trying to skirt the issue, I'm trying to figure out why you believe that Roche should get more than 18 min a game and how exactly Al kicked a non-ACC caliber player to the curb. Feel free to expand at your leisure.

Again, Roche is find for a few minutes per game. In reality, he's not an ACC Calibar Player and I surely hope Heslip/Noreen are a whole lot better than he is, otherwise we're screwed.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:52 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

You really need to put everything in context here and get the depth of your thinking out of the shallow end of the pool. Duquette is quoted gushing about Roche being a hard working, loyal and the type of player that puts team first. They talk about how he was a starter, then not a starter then he gets a few minutes and significant minutes. As I said, Tyler Roche has been a disappointment, however my point was that maybe if BC's coaching staff rewarded team first guys by starting them and not kicking them to the curb when the flavor of the month comes along, who may not be as hardworking or as loyal, the can build a consistent program. If other players can see that just because they have talent, starting is not an automatic unless they work and contribute to the team, maybe you'd get a different type of recruit that is talented and hard working. I didn't say TR should get more than 18 minutes. I was referring more to the work ethic and team first issue than specifically TR playing abilities.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:25 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

You really need to put everything in context here and get the depth of your thinking out of the shallow end of the pool. Duquette is quoted gushing about Roche being a hard working, loyal and the type of player that puts team first. They talk about how he was a starter, then not a starter then he gets a few minutes and significant minutes. As I said, Tyler Roche has been a disappointment, however my point was that maybe if BC's coaching staff rewarded team first guys by starting them and not kicking them to the curb when the flavor of the month comes along, who may not be as hardworking or as loyal, the can build a consistent program. If other players can see that just because they have talent, starting is not an automatic unless they work and contribute to the team, maybe you'd get a different type of recruit that is talented and hard working. I didn't say TR should get more than 18 minutes. I was referring more to the work ethic and team first issue than specifically TR playing abilities.

You said specifically he should start and get "significant minutes." See your own post in this series of quotes, five posts up. Define "significant." Because so far, your point seems to be that we would field a consistent team by starting and giving guys like Tyler Roche the bulk of the minutes. This is probably true. But if we don't also try out the players who are talented, we will consistently win two or three conference games every season.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:00 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:I didn't say TR should get more than 18 minutes. I was referring more to the work ethic and team first issue than specifically TR playing abilities.

Really?

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:however my point was that maybe if BC's coaching staff rewarded team first guys by starting them and not kicking them to the curb when the flavor of the month comes along, who may not be as hardworking or as loyal, the can build a consistent program.

In a perfect world, the team first guys would be rewarded more than the guys who held team in a lesser regard. My main point, which you seem to whiff on over and over again, is that I agree they would be more of a consistent program - a consistently terrible one. Your fabulous coaching skills would have you fired in a couple years. Way to reward the hustlers though, Mr. Unemployed!

Why do you go on and on about things I never argued about, insisting I need to get out of the "shallow end of the pool" while wholly disregarding what I ACTUALLY say?

Note to colored names: I strongly desire an emoticon where a sweating smiley is digging himself deeper into a hole.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:40 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

You said specifically he should start and get "significant minutes." See your own post in this series of quotes, five posts up. Define "significant." Because so far, your point seems to be that we would field a consistent team by starting and giving guys like Tyler Roche the bulk of the minutes. This is probably true. But if we don't also try out the players who are talented, we will consistently win two or three conference games every season.

Nope, I didn't say that. Read it again. I was responding to how should you reward hard work. As far as significant minutes, yes I would say that 15-20 minutes is signficant. But, I was responding to the general premise of the quote and thinking more toward the fact that guys like Williams are given 4 of 5 chances while guys like TR, GENERALLY SPEAKING (hard working team guys) just roll with it while some losers are allowed to eff up whole seasons with there stupidity and it's allowed to happen over and over. Next thing you know some counterfeiting boofer comes along and gets more playing time than you until he gets kicked out of school. Other players/recruits see this.

If you reward hard work, smart talented hard working players will see it and want to play for you. If you allow cancers to grow and fester in your program, smart talented hard working players will see that too.

And let me say that if you have a hard working talented team and the 7th man is the 7th man talent wise, then there is no argument.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:58 pm

94: In your analysis did you factor in who replaced Roche in the starting lineup? Raji/Trap replaced him depending on how you look at it. Do those guys not work hard or have huge attitude/disciplinary problems?

When saying Al kicked Roche to the curb, did you remember that Roche struggled with back problems last year, which was a big reason why his minutes decreased?

You've still yet to back up your assertion that he's been kicked to the curb - probably because you can't. :bringit
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:32 pm

1. Hard working players should be rewarded for their hard work.
2. An appropriate reward is a starting spot and significant playing time.
3. 18 minutes per game is not significant playing time.
4. Tyler Roche is among the hardest workers on the team.
5. Tyler Roche does not play more than 18 minutes per game.

So, if I read you correctly, your step six is not "Tyler Roche should play more and start." This makes no sense, given everything else you've written.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:29 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:1. Hard working players should be rewarded for their hard work.

Harder working players, yes especially when there are players that do not show up every night or quit on the team.

2. An appropriate reward is a starting spot and significant playing time.

That is what I believe, yes.

3. 18 minutes per game is not significant playing time.

Not my words.

4. Tyler Roche is among the hardest workers on the team.

Could be, according to Duquette.

5. Tyler Roche does not play more than 18 minutes per game.

To tell you the truth, I don't know.

So, if I read you correctly, your step six is not "Tyler Roche should play more and start." This makes no sense, given everything else you've written.

Look, I don't know how much he is playing. The article quoted Duquette saying that he had a starting position and lost it to other players and he never missed a beat, he continued to work hard. That is what I was referring to. He had a starting position and lost it. Did you read the link? This was the subject of the thread. Like I said above, TR has been a big disappointment and I haven't watched a game this year because I have grown so complacent with BC basketball, it's SSDD. So when I read an article where a coach gushes over the work ethic of a kid who loses his starting job on a team that doesn't appear to show up many nights yes, I think maybe a smart coach would reward the hardest working dedicated players who do anything for the team to attract like minded players. So you can make it specific about Tyler Roche if you want to, that wasn't my intent.

BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum