Student Section

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Student Section

Postby buconvict on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:41 am

= Embarrassing. The Raji highlight was almost hard to watch with no fans in attendance.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Re: Student Section

Postby BC '00 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:45 am

buconvict {l Wrote}:= Embarrassing. The Raji highlight was almost hard to watch with no fans in attendance.

I think the problem was the non-student section. On the wide shots, the student sections behind the basket were the only places that looked even partway full. There's just no energy or buzz around this team. I think that was the least full I've ever seen a venue on ESPN.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 am

buconvict {l Wrote}:= Embarrassing. The Raji highlight was almost hard to watch with no fans in attendance.

Behind the baskets was fine. The upper levels (which houses the overflow) had almost no BC students. But those upper sections almost never show on TV. The empty sections were the lower bowl area - not student sections. I blame the high rollers for this one.

I'm also not sure what you are expecting for an 11-9 team midweek against a team who drilled us not so long ago. When it's like that when the team is good to very good is what bothers me more.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:05 am

As I said before there is absolutely zero energy surrounding this program on campus. Hopefully people will see/hear that last night was fun and want to attend on Saturday, if not can't blame them.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC '00 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I'm also not sure what you are expecting for an 11-9 team midweek against a team who drilled us not so long ago. When it's like that when the team is good to very good is what bothers me more.

The problem is that I don't think I've ever seen another game on ESPN with a less full arena. Maybe some weird combination of no energy/buzz and being on tv a fair amount, but it seems like at most schools, even when they're not that good, the fans turn out if ESPN is going to be there broadcasting.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby ryrob on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:43 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:The problem is that I don't think I've ever seen another game on ESPN with a less full arena. Maybe some weird combination of no energy/buzz and being on tv a fair amount, but it seems like at most schools, even when they're not that good, the fans turn out if ESPN is going to be there broadcasting.

That would be true, if the Athletic Department would PROMOTE the fact that its on ESPN. The casual fan wouldn't know that, and we didn't get an email or anything urging good attendance because it would be prime time (as I've seen in the past).

Also, midweek games suck. I was stuck in a 7-9:30 class that I had to take, thus relegating me and a few other student season ticket holders to phone updates only.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:46 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:The problem is that I don't think I've ever seen another game on ESPN with a less full arena. Maybe some weird combination of no energy/buzz and being on tv a fair amount, but it seems like at most schools, even when they're not that good, the fans turn out if ESPN is going to be there broadcasting.

That would be true, if the Athletic Department would PROMOTE the fact that its on ESPN. The casual fan wouldn't know that, and we didn't get an email or anything urging good attendance because it would be prime time (as I've seen in the past).

Also, midweek games suck. I was stuck in a 7-9:30 class that I had to take, thus relegating me and a few other student season ticket holders to phone updates only.

Again, I put this mainly on the non-students. The areas behind the baskets were the only spots that didn't look embarassing. And unfortunately you spend the entire game watching the sidelines, which were maybe 40% full at tip and 60% full by the second half. It was also excruciating to watch the few fans start putting on jackets and heading to the exits with around 10 seconds left...IT'S 10 SECONDS PEOPLE! Just stay for 10 seconds, show your appreciation for the team, and then run home for naptime.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:19 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I'm also not sure what you are expecting for an 11-9 team midweek against a team who drilled us not so long ago. When it's like that when the team is good to very good is what bothers me more.

The problem is that I don't think I've ever seen another game on ESPN with a less full arena. Maybe some weird combination of no energy/buzz and being on tv a fair amount, but it seems like at most schools, even when they're not that good, the fans turn out if ESPN is going to be there broadcasting.

I agree and some of this falls on the admin and some on the alums with less so falling on the students in this particular case. As we all know CAG was studiously in Bapst preparing for a 5% of the final grade quiz rather than attending.

I've seen plenty of games on ESPN games with less people in the stands. The big problem is they are a) women's games b) mid-major or minor team crap c) late season terrible matchups that are contractually obligated to be shown or d) blowouts.

There is no excuse for Conte being like that for a ranked conference opponent on national TV. Who cares about the upper levels - it's the lower bowl that is the problem. It makes no sense to me that people buy the DBS and then don't ever go or even give the tickets away. I've received 4 offers for free DBS tix thusfar this season and taken them 3/4 times. The other time I wasn't in town. I wasn't at the game last night, but when you work a full time job and have class every night of the week it takes away from the ability to show on a Tuesday regardless of other factors.

But again, my main point was that the students were not the problem.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:50 pm

I think the hoops team should take advantage of the fact that they play in the Spooky Haunted Tomb. It's certainly an intimidating place with all the spooky ghosts.

Thanks to Claver for providing the Conte photo.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:52 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:

I agree and some of this falls on the admin and some on the alums with less so falling on the students in this particular case. As we all know CAG was studiously in Bapst preparing for a 5% of the final grade quiz rather than attending.

Yeah, that's what I was doing. That's why I didn't post between 6:30-10 or during the gamethread.

BTW speaking of an empty arena, I was able to walk in last night 3 minutes before tipoff and get 4th row behind the basket. The fact that I know I will be able to do this for every game except Duke and Carolina is disgustiad.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby AdamBC on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:55 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:

Yeah, that's what I was doing. That's why I didn't post between 6:30-10 or during the gamethread.

BTW speaking of an empty arena, I was able to walk in last night 3 minutes before tipoff and get 4th row behind the basket. The fact that I know I will be able to do this for every game except Duke and Carolina is disgustiad.

You couldn't have done that against Maryland - then again that's because the Athletics Department didn't want to sell student section tickets to students.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:01 pm

I don't expect the arena to be full and loud every game in what is (up to now) a very disappointing season.

But this game was nationally televised on ESPN2. If fans (students or whalepants) feel like not showing up, or showing up late to a game that's on regional TV (or ESPNU or not televised at all), that's their choice.

But when we get a national prime-time game on ESPN or ESPN2, can we agree to try to fake some enthusiasm?

How about this: if you're a student and you're inside Conte Forum at least 15 minutes before tip-off for an ESPN televised game, you're given a voucher for an automatic A on any test or assignment in any class (provided that test or assignment is not worth more than 15% of your final grade).
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:How about this: if you're a student and you're inside Conte Forum at least 15 minutes before tip-off for an ESPN televised game, you're given a voucher for an automatic A on any test or assignment in any class (provided that test or assignment is not worth more than 15% of your final grade).

This week's sign of the nerdification: bribing students to go to a hoops game with good grades instead of beer, housing, or even just food. :geek: :dildodog
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:31 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:This week's sign of the nerdification: bribing students to go to a hoops game with good grades instead of beer, housing, or even just food. :geek: :dildodog

We need to figure out what Duke does - nerd city, but their student section shows up (and, admittedly, embarrasses them).
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Shredder on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:31 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:This week's sign of the nerdification: bribing students to go to a hoops game with good grades instead of beer, housing, or even just food. :geek: :dildodog

Or college basketball.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

We need to figure out what Duke does - nerd city, but their student section shows up (and, admittedly, embarrasses them).

play good enough basketball to be routinely ranked in the top 10?
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:37 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I'd rather never be ranked in the top 10 than cheer for Kyle Singler or Jon Scheyer.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:38 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Lead unattractive, sexless lives.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:39 pm

both student and non-student attendance was embarrassing last night. I can't believe more students can't show up for a game against a Top 25 team on national TV. its disturbing. but the red seats were awful too. The mid-court section on the Merket side of Conte, basically the best seats you can get, was at best 20% full at tipoff and never got over 50% full during the entire game. this is unacceptable and I blame nearly all of it on DBS. I'll tell you why people buy those tickets even if they dont go: if they donate enough to tailgate for football, they are automatically eligible for DBS seats in bball as the donation is good for all sports. All they have to do is pay for the season ticket itself on top of their donation. A lot of big time donors figure, why not, I'll get them and support the school and if I want to go to the Duke and UNC games, boom, I'll have a ticket. Half of them aren't even bball fans. And then they make no effort to go to the other games and make no effort to rid of them. How do I know this is the case? B/c its exactly what my father in law was close to doing. He donates enough to tailgate but really doesn't care about bball. But they continually offer him the bball tickets in the DBS seats and he was close to taking them just to have them, even though he would go to max 2 games a year. I encouraged him not to get them for just this reason.

They need a system that is a combination of donation and loyalty/attendance. Giving away the best seats based entirely on donation has killed the red seats.
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
I'd rather never be ranked in the top 10 than cheer for Kyle Singler or Jon Scheyer.

You prefer cheering for Rakim Sanders?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:

You prefer cheering for Rakim Sanders?

Not by as much as I'd like, but absolutely yes.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Singler I understand (Though he'd look good in maroon), but Scheyer is a player I enjoy watching. It's a little foreign after watching BC but to see someone at the point who gets lots of assists and does not turn the ball over is nice. Add in 19pts per game or so and I could live with that every game.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:10 pm

I blame it on being a mid-week game. For a lot of students that becomes a toss up between finishing work for school or going to the game (bring on nerdification comments from the old people). The entire senior class should be able to fill up the student section since its the second semester and they shouldn't care about grades anymore, but I digress.

Midweek games, unless they're against Duke or UNC, never generated much buzz while I was there, its unfortunate but true.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:16 pm

I think the nerdification is even worse than we older graduates realize. And Im only class of '02. finishing work? between 7 and 9 pm on a Wednesday in the last week of January? We went out drinking every Wednesday. If the excuse was that most students have decided they'd rather hit the bars than support this team, I wouldn't be happy, but at least Id understand.
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:Singler I understand (Though he'd look good in maroon), but Scheyer is a player I enjoy watching. It's a little foreign after watching BC but to see someone at the point who gets lots of assists and does not turn the ball over is nice. Add in 19pts per game or so and I could live with that every game.

Are you familiar with Scheyer Face?
Attachments
endless-scheyer.gif
endless-scheyer.gif (81.24 KiB) Viewed 10785 times
Last edited by BC '00 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:20 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I blame it on being a mid-week game. For a lot of students that becomes a toss up between finishing work for school or going to the game (bring on nerdification comments from the old people). The entire senior class should be able to fill up the student section since its the second semester and they shouldn't care about grades anymore, but I digress.

Midweek games, unless they're against Duke or UNC, never generated much buzz while I was there, its unfortunate but true.

One thing that I think BC ought to do: stop charging students admission for games - mostly because it allows people to be more spontaneous about going to games - you don't need tickets - can just show up to the game without having to hunt around for someone with tickets that isn't going.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:21 pm

BCDF22 {l Wrote}:I think the nerdification is even worse than we older graduates realize. And Im only class of '02. finishing work? between 7 and 9 pm on a Wednesday in the last week of January? We went out drinking every Wednesday. If the excuse was that most students have decided they'd rather hit the bars than support this team, I wouldn't be happy, but at least Id understand.

For us, Wednesday = Kells. And it was the drunkest shitshow of the week. Aside from Friday HH. And sometimes Saturday or Thursday.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:26 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I blame it on being a mid-week game. For a lot of students that becomes a toss up between finishing work for school or going to the game (bring on nerdification comments from the old people). The entire senior class should be able to fill up the student section since its the second semester and they shouldn't care about grades anymore, but I digress.

One thing that I think BC ought to do: stop charging students admission for games - mostly because it allows people to be more spontaneous about going to games - you don't need tickets - can just show up to the game without having to hunt around for someone with tickets that isn't going.

Exactly. It's actually very easy to have students show up. Here are the ways:

1. Have a very good team. (We don't)
2. Be involved in the school and be a presence on campus. (Al is probably the most detached coach and the basketball team is probably the most detached team on campus)
3. Don't charge to go to games. (We do, and a decent amount)

I've got to say, I probably wouldn't go to every remaining game if I hadn't got season tickets in advance (because of this I feel compelled to go to every game). The season overall has been a disaster and I don't blame students for not showing up.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Maybe they need to reduce the seating sections for DBS and for students. We know Duke + NC will be packed in the students sections, and the whalepants crowds might dust of their seats, but what about everyone else and other games.

SECT- C +D….. I + J ….O +P ….U + V are DBS…why don’t you allow non donation season tickets in these sections…..I speak for myself but I would buy season tickets in a heartbeat for lower seating…..who wants to be stuck in the nosebleeds

Maybe they should consider shrinking the student section on one end also like Q + T for example
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I'm not sure what to think about this. On one hand, it would be great if students could be more spontaneous about going to games. On the other hand, students could be more spontaneous about going to games.

If I bought a ticket to a game, I went to the game. If something came up at the last minute, I'd do whatever I could to make sure that ticket was used. If students can just show up whenever they want, I'd fear that they'd feel no "ownership" of going to the games.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum