South Carolina and Michigan...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

South Carolina and Michigan...

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:46 pm

Might be as good as Northern Iowa....

Just sayin. Not that it matters any more, since BC ain't winning 10 in conference.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Re: South Carolina and Michigan...

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm not saying this is likely, or is going to happen, but if we beat FSU at home on Saturday we even up the conference record at 4-4.

There isn't another game on the schedule that we're definitely going to win or lose, but Duke/UNC at home are doable. It'll really come down to whether we can go on the road and win at FSU, at Wake,etc. I'll take it back, we're not beating GT in Atlanta, even in hell freezes over (especially with Tyler Roche trying to cover Derrick Favors)

If we can beat FSU, it's game on. If we lose, forget it. Go 7-3 down the stretch and win one in the ACCT and we'll see what happens. The games that are going to kill us are Maine, St. Joe's, Harvard and URI. If we win three of those, we're 15-6. That VT game did not help the cause either, that would have been a huge win because we'd be 4-3 in conference now.

Wouldn't totally quit on this team yet, especially if they can get hot at home. I figured we needed to go 2-1 on this homestand, and beating Clemson moves a huge obstacle.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'm not saying this is likely, or is going to happen, but if we beat FSU at home on Saturday we even up the conference record at 4-4.

There isn't another game on the schedule that we're definitely going to win or lose, but Duke/UNC at home are doable. It'll really come down to whether we can go on the road and win at FSU, at Wake,etc. I'll take it back, we're not beating GT in Atlanta, even in hell freezes over (especially with Tyler Roche trying to cover Derrick Favors)

If we can beat FSU, it's game on. If we lose, forget it. Go 7-3 down the stretch and win one in the ACCT and we'll see what happens. The games that are going to kill us are Maine, St. Joe's, Harvard and URI. If we win three of those, we're 15-6. That VT game did not help the cause either, that would have been a huge win because we'd be 4-3 in conference now.

Wouldn't totally quit on this team yet, especially if they can get hot at home. I figured we needed to go 2-1 on this homestand, and beating Clemson moves a huge obstacle.

I thought everyone on this board gave up months ago.

I think it is a long shot at this point. But I will hang in and keep the faith. At this point I think they need at least 9 ACC wins and a run to the ACCCG.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 am

Because the ACC is so even this year and there arent really any upper-echelon teams, it isnt too ridiculous to think that BC could make a deep run in the ACC tourney.
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I'm not saying this is likely, or is going to happen, but if we beat FSU at home on Saturday we even up the conference record at 4-4.

I think it is a long shot at this point. But I will hang in and keep the faith. At this point I think they need at least 9 ACC wins and a run to the ACCCG.

That loss to VT is looking like a real kick in the junk. 4-3 in the ACC would look pretty nice right now.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 am

I think we have a chance against FSU Saturday coming off the great win last night, tough luck @VT and win @Miami. If we can win 3-4 more games we might be able to have an outside chance at the NIT. NCAA is out unless we can go deep in the ACC (not convinced on that now)

Really makes you scratch your head how we can beat Clemson, Michigan and SC, but drop games to Harvard, Maine, Northern Iowa, and St Joe’s
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:32 am

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:I think we have a chance against FSU Saturday coming off the great win last night, tough luck @VT and win @Miami. If we can win 3-4 more games we might be able to have an outside chance at the NIT. NCAA is out unless we can go deep in the ACC (not convinced on that now)

Really makes you scratch your head how we can beat Clemson, Michigan and SC, but drop games to Harvard, Maine, Northern Iowa, and St Joe’s

It makes me scratch my head how people will lump Northern Iowa in with the other non-conference losses. Northern Iowa is in the cream of the mid-major crop this year (URI, too).
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:04 am

There isn't another game on the schedule that we're definitely going to win or lose, but Duke/UNC at home are doable.

I'd say Duke is a pretty longshot. Of course I would have said Clemson was a longshot before last night, but still. Let's not forget Duke smoked Clemson twice this year.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:12 am

And that BC played right along with Duke through the first half of the first game (difference was they made halftime adjustments and :shock we did not. If UNC gets Davis and Zeller back for our game, they're going to be much tougher than people realize.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:17 am

By the way, one thing to bring the optimistic people back to earth - BC is not going to shoot 56% every night.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:25 am

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:I think we have a chance against FSU Saturday coming off the great win last night, tough luck @VT and win @Miami. If we can win 3-4 more games we might be able to have an outside chance at the NIT. NCAA is out unless we can go deep in the ACC (not convinced on that now)

It makes me scratch my head how people will lump Northern Iowa in with the other non-conference losses. Northern Iowa is in the cream of the mid-major crop this year (URI, too).

Going into this year, and looking at the schedule at first glance these games should have been considered very winnable games. We should have won at least three of these games and we would have been in an entirely different boat right now
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:25 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Might be as good as Northern Iowa....

Just sayin. Not that it matters any more, since BC ain't winning 10 in conference.

Agreed. South Carolina, as I said weeks ago, will prove to be one of our best wins of the year. A resume headliner win come March.

The shame in all of this is.......easy, cake-walk wins against St Joes, Harvard and Maine put this same exact same team at 15-6 with wins @Mich, @Providence, South Carolina, and Clemson....with still a truck load of marquee games to play.

But I have not given up. A win over FSU this weekend keeps this team alive. They are starting to play like most of us thought they could. Which means wins against Duke or UNC are possible (probably not both), along with a win or two against FSU, and wins against State, VT, and VA.

9 ACC wins and a min-run in the ACCT is still posssible.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If we win 9, we would probably still have to win the tournament to get in.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:55 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If we win 9, we would probably still have to win the tournament to get in.

Wrong. Win 9 and 1 in the ACCT and we'll sneak in with a 11/12 seed. The committee would take into account that we didn't have Sanders for at least a few of those ugly early season games. If we somehow won the next 2 at home, we'll at least begin to appear on the Bubble Watch.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Not for nothing but the way he has been playing lately not having Sanders could look like it was an advantage.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:03 pm

Doesn't the NCAA tournament committee take into account how a team finished the year? If BC ends the season with a 9-7 record in the ACC, that would mean they'd finish 7-3 in their last ten games of the season.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:Not for nothing but the way he has been playing lately not having Sanders could look like it was an advantage.

Yes, but I don't think they'll look at it that way. They'll look at it as top 2 returning scorer and starter out = different team early. Which is obviously good for us. The "finishing" point is a good one too.

I don't think any of this will end up mattering to be honest.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:Doesn't the NCAA tournament committee take into account how a team finished the year? If BC ends the season with a 9-7 record in the ACC, that would mean they'd finish 7-3 in their last ten games of the season.

correct. This team is not dead yet. They have a mountain to climb, but it's still possible.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:57 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:Doesn't the NCAA tournament committee take into account how a team finished the year? If BC ends the season with a 9-7 record in the ACC, that would mean they'd finish 7-3 in their last ten games of the season.

Finishing strong does definitely count for something with the selection committee, but I still wouldn't count on getting in with 18 wins, given some of BC's losses. They'd be on the bubble at best. If they tacked on a couple more to that total in the ACCT, then I think we have something.

I think they'd pretty much have to go 10-6 with a win in the ACCT, or 9-7 with a bit of a run in the ACCT to be legitimately in the conversation. Anything better than that obviously puts them in a much better position, and anything worse probably gets them the NIT or zip. Either way, I think by the time that tournament is over, BC needs 20 or damn near to it. Whether or not it's going to happen is one thing, but it's still possible to get there.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:06 pm

2008Eagle {l Wrote}:

Finishing strong does definitely count for something with the selection committee, but I still wouldn't count on getting in with 18 wins, given some of BC's losses. They'd be on the bubble at best. If they tacked on a couple more to that total in the ACCT, then I think we have something.

I think they'd pretty much have to go 10-6 with a win in the ACCT, or 9-7 with a bit of a run in the ACCT to be legitimately in the conversation. Anything better than that obviously puts them in a much better position, and anything worse probably gets them the NIT or zip. Either way, I think by the time that tournament is over, BC needs 20 or damn near to it. Whether or not it's going to happen is one thing, but it's still possible to get there.

It shouldn't be a factor for the committee, but will the first round exit from last season haunt this team a la 2003 when a senior Troy Bell-led team was the first 10 win BE team ever denied the field at 18-11? I've always felt that the early exit (and not even good effort) against Texas in 2002 was part of the decision to keep BC out in 2003 - or at least fresh in the mind of the committee during selections.

And overall even IF these scenarios play out it's going to have a lot to do with what other bubble teams do, how many bubble teams there are, and things that are beyond the team's control. It's a shame because if 9-7 and a run in the ACCT do happen, it would be hard to deny that BC is one of the best X number of non-automatic qualifiers at the time of selection. Too bad the committee has to take the entire season into account.

All in all: business first. Worry about this stuff later, if at all.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:12 pm

2008Eagle {l Wrote}:

I'm not saying that 9-7 is good enough. But if BC goes 9-7 (especially if one or two of those wins come against Duke or GT) and they win a couple games in the ACC and make it to at least the conference semi-finals, I'm not going to skip watching the selection show on the basis that BC's fate is sealed. They could still find themselves on the outside looking in, but I don't think that BC is yet at the point where it's auto-bid or bust.

But if there are 3 ACC teams that finish 9-7, BC ends the season with a 7-3 record in their final (regular season) 10, another team ends the season with a 5-5 record in their final 10, and the third team ends the season with a 3-7 record in their final 10, I'm going to have some reason to feel a little optimistic.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 pm

I think we need 19 wins total to even have a prayer. 20 would obviously be better.

I we do that, we're going to have a bunch of good wins and a bunch of bad losses, which might just confuse the committee enough to get us in.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:01 pm

I think 9-7 is going to be a stretch. Someone earlier called it a mountain to climb and that might even be an understatement. They played well last night but let's not get crazy here. They only have 9 games left and I'm not sure I see them winning 6 of them with 4 on the road. @GT, @FSU and @ Wake are all tough. Duke, UNC, FSU and UVA will be tough even at home. So assuming we say VT at home and at NC State are probable wins, and we know with this team nothing is a gimmie, that still leaves a lot of work to be done and I'm just not sure they have the horses to do it.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:03 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:

I'm not saying that 9-7 is good enough. But if BC goes 9-7 (especially if one or two of those wins come against Duke or GT) and they win a couple games in the ACC and make it to at least the conference semi-finals, I'm not going to skip watching the selection show on the basis that BC's fate is sealed. They could still find themselves on the outside looking in, but I don't think that BC is yet at the point where it's auto-bid or bust.

But if there are 3 ACC teams that finish 9-7, BC ends the season with a 7-3 record in their final (regular season) 10, another team ends the season with a 5-5 record in their final 10, and the third team ends the season with a 3-7 record in their final 10, I'm going to have some reason to feel a little optimistic.

Well yeah, I agree with all that and with the others who posted above. They are, however, close to the auto-bid-or-bust threshold. Before yesterday I would have said they were just about past it, but the win last night pretty much plugged the life support back in.

I look at it like this:

17 wins or fewer: toast
18 wins: bubble at best
19 wins: in the discussion
20 wins or more: legit shot

This doesn't even take into consideration the other bubble teams and what surprises may lurk in the conference tournaments, but I still think that's a reasonable guess. 20 (or thereabouts) is usually the magic number for bubble teams.

But they do have to take care of their business first. FSU has to be a W.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:12 pm

2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:

Well yeah, I agree with all that and with the others who posted above. They are, however, close to the auto-bid-or-bust threshold. Before yesterday I would have said they were just about past it, but the win last night pretty much plugged the life support back in.

I look at it like this:

This doesn't even take into consideration the other bubble teams and what surprises may lurk in the conference tournaments, but I still think that's a reasonable guess. 20 (or thereabouts) is usually the magic number for bubble teams.

I agree with you on the 20 wins and to get there we need to win 8 of the last 9, which is not realistic.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:15 pm

my formula for dancing in March:

-win 18 regular season games (9-7 in ACC)
-win 2 more in the ACCT (20-13 overall)
-root like hell for teams like Michigan, South Carolina, URI, and Harvard to play well.

in this scenario, our RPI would be respectable, our resume wins would be respectable, and our last ten would be more than respectable. And our SoS would probably be in the Top 20 in the country.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:

I look at it like this:

I agree with you on the 20 wins and to get there we need to win 8 of the last 9, which is not realistic.

It's not, I agree, but remember that BC has the ACC Tournament to tack on a few more. They've never gone one-and-done in that tournament, even the year where they went 4-12, so hopefully they won't this year.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:34 pm

I am saying it now: if this team gets its act together and wins 9 regular season ACC games they will run through the ACCT and win the conference.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:58 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I am saying it now: if this team gets its act together and wins 9 regular season ACC games they will run through the ACCT and win the conference.

i'm saying it now... you're drunk on giraffe urine. seriously, blog boy - you've been a bc fan for long enough to recognize that yesterday's surprising win will produce a just as surprising loss within a 10 day period

OK now that was funny...and accurate. Let's not get irrational and tale one positive performance and blow it out of proportion. One good win and people are going off the deep end. Let's not forget the series of ass kickings we took a couple of weeks ago.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:14 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I am saying it now: if this team gets its act together and wins 9 regular season ACC games they will run through the ACCT and win the conference.

The team is talented enough to do that if they get their act together. Hopefully this is the start of something like that.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum