Bizzaro World in the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Bizzaro World in the ACC

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 am

Wake beats UNC
NCST beats Duke

This goes to my theory that the ACC has a ton of medicore teams this season. You can put VT in that group also, they're certainly not unbeatable.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: Bizzaro World in the ACC

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Hence my query about ACC Bball faollowing the trend of ACC Fball toward mediocrity. Yes, I do know UNC won it all last year but I agree all ACC teams are mediocre or worse this year with the possible exception of Duke. We'll see.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:27 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Hence my query about ACC Bball faollowing the trend of ACC Fball toward mediocrity. Yes, I do know UNC won it all last year but I agree all ACC teams are mediocre or worse this year with the possible exception of Duke. We'll see.

Stop. I hope your stupidity isn't contagious.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Shredder on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:49 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Wake beats UNC
NCST beats Duke

This goes to my theory that the ACC has a ton of medicore teams this season. You can put VT in that group also, they're certainly not unbeatable.

Not necessarily. We're only three to five games into the conference schedule depending on the team. I think it's more indicative of Duke and UNC not deserving of their early rankings and there not being a clear doormat (except for maybe Miami) like most conferences have. Clemson and Georgia Tech look like legit top teams...for now.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Hence my query about ACC Bball faollowing the trend of ACC Fball toward mediocrity. Yes, I do know UNC won it all last year but I agree all ACC teams are mediocre or worse this year with the possible exception of Duke. We'll see.

CAG, you know more about Bball than I. I'm surprised that you think the quality of ACC Bball is good this year. Anyone can see that it's mediocre at best. Don't be a homer. Look at it objectively.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:24 pm

I'm not sure what the answer is on the quality of the ACC this season.

I pulled some numbers (SHOCKING!) and right now the ACC is doing significantly better against the Top 25 (thusfar) than it has over the previous 4 seasons. Winning % against AP / ESPN-USAToday

2009-2010: 56%/49%
2008-2009: 37%/ 36%
2007-2008: 26%/ 26%
2006-2007: 41%/ 36%
2005-2006: 26% / 26%

Of course we all know that this year's polls are still far from finalized and there is inherent bias in the preseason polls which certainly leads to some undeserving teams being ranked (ahem, UNC), but this is a decent place to start, right?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:27 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

CAG, you know more about Bball than I. I'm surprised that you think the quality of ACC Bball is good this year. Anyone can see that it's mediocre at best. Don't be a homer. Look at it objectively.

I didn't say its good. But to make the quantum leap that one average year in the ACC means the conference as a whole is going towards overall mediocrity is preposterous.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Expanding on this, here is the ACC versus other top conferences:

Big East: 7-4
SEC: 5-5
Pac10: 2-2
Big10: 7-7
BigXII: 1-2

Wins over Gonzaga (twice), Xavier and Butler.

I agree, this leaves a lot to be desired for the ACC's resume.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby ChipsAndSalsa on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Just because there is no flashy title contender, doesn't mean the league is "mediocre". Top to bottom, the ACC is the best again. There aren't six teams as bad as Depaul, Providence, South Florida, St. Johns, Seton Hall and Rutgers in the ACC. There isn't even one.
ChipsAndSalsa
n00b

Postby GlorytoBC on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Wake beats UNC
NCST beats Duke

NC State may or may not be on their way back to prominence. Before 1990, NC State was a Top 10 job in America, then the Les Robinson and Herb Sendek era(s) happened.

Wake beat UNC last year and they just smashed them on Wednesday.

It's great to see Wake and State give it to Carolina and Duke.

Oh and Eagle81, please stop posting. It's so obvious that you don't know what you're talking about. Top to Bottom I would take the ACC over just about any other conference in America. The ACC really isn't too top-heavy this year, but they have 5 Top 25 teams and Wake (if they beat Virginia) should be ranked next week. Don't even try to compare ACC Basketball and ACC Football.

BC is probably the worst team in the ACC this year, but we still picked up wins over South Carolina and Michigan.
GlorytoBC
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:11 pm

It is unfortunate that Reggie Jackson can't dribble. Because I never want to see Biko on the floor again.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum