Al - We outrebounded them.

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Al - We outrebounded them.

Postby h2o on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:08 am

Post game yesterday Al pretty much said he has a bunch of quitters that don't give a shit. This is unheard of for any sports team in the history of BC. Disgraciad.

-----------------------
“We outrebounded them,’’ said coach Al Skinner, looking, like everyone else at Conte Forum yesterday, for something positive to say about a 73-57 Atlantic Coast Conference loss to Maryland.

Skinner has dealt with losing streaks before. And knows how to react to them. But what he has seen the last three games - one-sided losses to Clemson, Duke, and now Maryland in which the Eagles (10-8, 1-3) failed to show up - bothers him more than the losses.

“Our attitude on the floor is not what it needs to be. Until that improves, we’re going to remain where we are.’’

“I’m not exactly sure what [the problem] is. The fact of the matter is that this team hasn’t played the way we like them to play. It’s not the fact that we’ve lost three games that concerns me. It’s how we lose, the point differential, that is very disturbing to me. And the lack of energy we have shown."

When asked if he had ever had a team play the way this one has recently, he said, “I hate to say it, but no. I’ve had some teams that lacked talent, but didn’t lack a certain toughness. I’ve had teams out-talent us. That’s fine. I’ve got no problem with that. It’s tough to have a team outwork you. Maybe one night, OK. But this has lasted the last few games.’’
h2o
Campion Hall

Re: Al - We outrebounded them.

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:36 am

h2o {l Wrote}:Post game yesterday Al pretty much said he has a bunch of quitters that don't give a shit. This is unheard of for any sports team in the history of BC. Disgraciad.

-----------------------
“We outrebounded them,’’ said coach Al Skinner, looking, like everyone else at Conte Forum yesterday, for something positive to say about a 73-57 Atlantic Coast Conference loss to Maryland.

Skinner has dealt with losing streaks before. And knows how to react to them. But what he has seen the last three games - one-sided losses to Clemson, Duke, and now Maryland in which the Eagles (10-8, 1-3) failed to show up - bothers him more than the losses.

“Our attitude on the floor is not what it needs to be. Until that improves, we’re going to remain where we are.’’

“I’m not exactly sure what [the problem] is. The fact of the matter is that this team hasn’t played the way we like them to play. It’s not the fact that we’ve lost three games that concerns me. It’s how we lose, the point differential, that is very disturbing to me. And the lack of energy we have shown."

When asked if he had ever had a team play the way this one has recently, he said, “I hate to say it, but no. I’ve had some teams that lacked talent, but didn’t lack a certain toughness. I’ve had teams out-talent us. That’s fine. I’ve got no problem with that. It’s tough to have a team outwork you. Maybe one night, OK. But this has lasted the last few games.’’

Finally, and then the almost loser defeatist TOBEsque statement, "We are who we are!"

Like I said last night, 5 intramurals kids will solve that problem. (I AM A NOW CERTFIED HUMBLE GENIUS). The sad part is Al is saying he doesn't know how to fix it?

ALSLEEP AT THE WHEEL! --You make thosse comments after you put in 5 non-starters or players and/or 5 intramurals kids and the last minute you send in the 5 starters to humilate these lazy fucks!

:violin :violin :lame :lame :lame :lame :lame :lame

Al Skinner needs to resign.

This board is the smartest people alive and the Nexus. We and the fans could all see it!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 am

I have to admit that I agree with everything that Al said. Ultimately, it's on the coach, but how do you motivate a group like this. Trapani and Sanders, the supposed leaders, look defeated the second they step on the court.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:09 am

I honestly think its much more the players than Al. Say what you want, but a 21 year old is going to do what a 21 year old is going to do. Al can lead them to water, but he can't make them drink. That being said, I still am on the Fire Al side just because you need to change things up, and I think its part of Al's attitude that makes the players think it is acceptable to do whatever they feel like doing.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:21 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I honestly think its much more the players than Al. Say what you want, but a 21 year old is going to do what a 21 year old is going to do. Al can lead them to water, but he can't make them drink. That being said, I still am on the Fire Al side just because you need to change things up, and I think its part of Al's attitude that makes the players think it is acceptable to do whatever they feel like doing.

If a coach loses a bunch of 18-21 year olds, I think it's pretty much over.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby Heights on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:36 pm

I think Al is correct, this is a mediocre, soft bunch of players. But he brought them in and has to answer for this, if they don't have the mental toughness they shouldn't be at BC.

I'm not going to say Al should be fired, but seeing Gary Williams purple with rage and continuing to coach and work the refs while up 20 in the last 3 minutes while Al and his assistants lounged on the bench and the players just quit and throw in the towel was an infuriating contrast. Worst performance since Maine.

The only time Al lost it was when Gary WIlliams grabbed a ref and sent the ref into the middle of BC's huddle when they were late getting out of a time-out, Al screamed and almost hit him. Gary doesn't miss a trick, hilarious, still miss that guy's coaching style. Always looking for an edge.

I knew Biko would have trouble against the full-court traps this year in the ACC, but Maryland only needed one defender to trap him. Jackson got to try the point for most of the second half. Al is grasping for anything at this point.
"We have everyone on our 2010 schedule but the New England Patriots"

Frank Spaziani
Heights
n00b

Postby buconvict on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Clearly, Tyrese Rice's lack of leadership is the problem.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Convict is just trying to get people fired up with his constant refrain about them missing Ball Hog.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby buconvict on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Convict is just trying to get people fired up with his constant refrain about them missing Ball Hog.

I'm just reminding people how fucking stupid they were/are when they "blamed" Tyrese Rice for last season's pathetic 21 win effort and promised that by removing Tyrese Rice, this team would be teh awesome and be one of the top 4 teams in the ACC because "The team plays better with Paris at the point" and "Rice is a shitty leader and plays no D".

The results of removing Rice are there for all to see. At some point, I hope people wake up and realize "Wow, BC really misses their point guard who scored 2000 friggin points. Maybe he didn't suck after all."
Last edited by buconvict on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:52 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Convict is just trying to get people fired up with his constant refrain about them missing Ball Hog.

I'm just reminding people how fucking stupid they were/are when they "blamed" Tyrese Rice for last season's patghetic 21 win effort and promised that by removing Tyrese Rice, this team would be teh awesome and be one of the top 4 teams in the ACC because "The team plays better with Paris at the point" and "Rice is a shitty leader and plays no D".

The results of removing Rice are there for all to see. At some point, I hope people wake up and realize "Wow, BC really misses their point guard who scored 2000 friggin points. Maybe he didn't suck after all."

No. The team doesn't suck because Rice left. The team sucks because Sanders and Trapani are shells of their former selves. I don't chalk that up to Tyrese Rice. They are still getting open looks and whatnot. They just aren't making them this year.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:57 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:

I'm just reminding people how fucking stupid they were/are when they "blamed" Tyrese Rice for last season's patghetic 21 win effort and promised that by removing Tyrese Rice, this team would be teh awesome and be one of the top 4 teams in the ACC because "The team plays better with Paris at the point" and "Rice is a shitty leader and plays no D".

I don't miss the PG that scored 2000 points. Not sure BC has ever had one of those - I don't think Bagley or Adams ever got to 2000. I miss the midget ball hog chucking shooting guard that scored 2000 points that sustained BC in a down year. And that was the point.

Last season, we thought that BC had enough talent that the era of "one guy with talent that is really a SG but is too small so he really plays PG and takes 60% of the shots" was unnecessary. It was a throw back to an era pre-Craig Smith, when BC would make up for years where the team was not very good by having a ball hog that scored 30+ and never passed (Barros, Penn, Bell). We thought that the class with Sanders would sustain the talent laden teams of Smith/Dudley and demand a Louis Hinnant/Howard Eisley type PG rather than an "I am the only guy on my team" type like Barros, Penn and Bell.

These players are a major disappointment.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

I don't miss the PG that scored 2000 points. Not sure BC has ever had one of those - I don't think Bagley or Adams ever got to 2000. I miss the midget ball hog chucking shooting guard that scored 2000 points that sustained BC in a down year. And that was the point.

Last season, we thought that BC had enough talent that the era of "one guy with talent that is really a SG but is too small so he really plays PG and takes 60% of the shots" was unnecessary. It was a throw back to an era pre-Craig Smith, when BC would make up for years where the team was not very good by having a ball hog that scored 30+ and never passed (Barros, Penn, Bell). We thought that the class with Sanders would sustain the talent laden teams of Smith/Dudley and demand a Louis Hinnant/Howard Eisley type PG rather than an "I am the only guy on my team" type like Barros, Penn and Bell.

I thought we might be better without rice too. But bottom line is that there is one player from last year not on this team now, and the team is FAR worse than last year. Its not a coincidence. You are making ridiculously stupid arguments.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

I thought we might be better without rice too. But bottom line is that there is one player from last year not on this team now, and the team is FAR worse than last year. Its not a coincidence. You are making ridiculously stupid arguments.

I think it is dumb to say that Rice is the difference between these 10 players making the NCAA and finishing at the bottom of the ACC (which is where they appear to be headed). There is something else going on here. Especially when he wasn't really responsible for most of their big and last minute wins last season.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

I think it is dumb to say that Rice is the difference between these 10 players making the NCAA and finishing at the bottom of the ACC (which is where they appear to be headed). There is something else going on here. Especially when he wasn't really responsible for most of their big and last minute wins last season.

That last sentence is completely false.
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:58 pm

bcbcbcbcbc4444 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

Yeah, no not really. Sanders and Jackson took over at UNC and against Duke. Sanders took the last shot in both of BC's last second wins. Rice hit one big three to ice the Duke game, and made his FTs at the end of UNC. I haven't seen anything from Sanders or Jackson that is remotely close to what they did in the big games last year.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

Yeah, no not really. Sanders and Jackson took over at UNC and against Duke. Sanders took the last shot in both of BC's last second wins. Rice hit one big three to ice the Duke game, and made his FTs at the end of UNC. I haven't seen anything from Sanders or Jackson that is remotely close to what they did in the big games last year.

Rice also hit a three that iced the game that put BC in the tourney against FSU. Those are two huge wins last season where Rice hit the biggest shot of the game. Clearly its unfair to say that Rice wasnt responsible for "any" big wins last season
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

Rice also hit a three that iced the game that put BC in the tourney against FSU. Those are two huge wins last season where Rice hit the biggest shot of the game. Clearly its unfair to say that Rice wasnt responsible for "any" big wins last season

Rice's shot against Duke was not a game winner, nor do he play all that well. They wouldn't have even been in either of those games without Sanders and Jackson playing awesome. Neither have done that this season. First half against UNC, the whole team was terrible, and Sanders had like 20 points. Then in the second, Jackson came out and took over.

Sanders also hit two ridiculous game winners last year.

Point is that Rice hardly carried the team last year. He hit some big shots, yes.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

Rice's shot against Duke was not a game winner, nor do he play all that well. They wouldn't have even been in either of those games without Sanders and Jackson playing awesome. Neither have done that this season. First half against UNC, the whole team was terrible, and Sanders had like 20 points. Then in the second, Jackson came out and took over.

Point is that Rice hardly carried the team last year. He hit some big shots, yes.

I certainly acknowledge that Jackson and especially Sanders were bigger down the stretch than Rice, but Rice definitely contributed at the end of the big wins.
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

I certainly acknowledge that Jackson and especially Sanders were bigger down the stretch than Rice, but Rice definitely contributed at the end of the big wins.

My point is, where are Jackson and Sanders this year?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby buconvict on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rice's shot against Duke was not a game winner, nor do he play all that well.

This is an absurd attempt at revisionist history.

Against UNC: 7/13, 25 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds
Against Duke: 7/13, 21 points, 6 assists, 6 rebounds

"Nor did he play all that well" my ass.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rice's shot against Duke was not a game winner, nor do he play all that well.

A bunch of his points in the UNC and Duke games came at the line at the end. Rightfully so, he always had the ball in his hands when the fouling came. In particular, at the UNC game he was a relative non-factor.

Hogging the ball as a 90% FT shooter with a 5-10 point lead is dream for the point column, eh? In the UNC game he scored 7 points from the line after the second to last TV timeout, and only made two shots (both layups) in the second half. In each game, he had 6 turnovers.

Regardless, it is irrelevant. The logic fail of saying "this team is bad, Rice is gone, so Rice being gone is why this team is bad" should be self evident.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby buconvict on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

A bunch of his points in the UNC and Duke games came at the line at the end. Rightfully so, he always had the ball in his hands when the fouling came. In particular, at the UNC game he was a relative non-factor.

Hogging the ball as a 90% FT shooter with a 5-10 point lead is dream for the point column, eh?

Regardless, it is irrelevant. The logic fail of saying "this team is bad, Rice is gone, so Rice being gone is why this team is bad" should be self evident.

He shot 7/13 in both games. What part of that do you take issue with? Is a guard shooting over 50% not enough for you? "He got his points shooting free throws" is one of the weaker points of your esteemed time on this board.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby DallasEire on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:16 pm

It misses the point to consider who made the biggest shots of the individual games last year. The players like Jackson and Sanders were much better last year and that is because of Rice.

There are components of the both arguements that are correct. Sanders and Jackson were huge last year and they appear to have regressed. This team also played better for stretches when Rice was taken out of the game because the ball moved more freely and there was more offense to go around and keep the scorers' heads in the game like Sanders, Jackson, and Trapani.

That said, those players are what they are. They are complimentary at best. They cannot create their own offense consistently and they don't have a 2000 pt scorer that is taking the defensive pressure off of them on a nightly basis. There was a precursor to this season and that was the USC game. In that game, USC's big guards were able to take Rice out of the game essentially leaving BC dependent on the nucleus we now have. We saw what happened.

At this point, i think the most important factor in the performance this year is that the nucleus has not improved their game to a level beyond a nice complimentary player. And because there is no Rice to take the defensive game plans and strategies all we are seeing now is a level of frustration due to the fact that no one on this team can create their own offense and no one on this team is worthy of having a game plan drawn to stop them.

The lack of offensive ability out of a half-court set is screaming for a full court strategy to keep the interest level of some less than intelligent players. This is because there has been no development out of Sanders and Jackson AND because they miss Ty Rice.
DallasEire
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:16 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

Hogging the ball as a 90% FT shooter with a 5-10 point lead is dream for the point column, eh?

He shot 7/13 in both games. What part of that do you take issue with? Is a guard shooting over 50% not enough for you? "He got his points shooting free throws" is one of the weaker points of your esteemed time on this board.

In the UNC game he scored 7 points from the line after the second to last TV timeout, and only made two shots (both layups) in the second half.

In each game, he had 6 turnovers.

Neither of those two games were great efforts by Rice. Granted, I am going by memory, not box scores, although you have forced me to look.

But the fact remains, that against Duke, Trapani dropped 20, Sanders 14 and Jackson 15. Mostly shooting 50% (except Sanders and Jackson, they only shot 75%). Against UNC Sanders shot 60% for 22 points and Jackson 57% with 17 points.

None of Sanders, Jackson or Trapani have shot like that this season. And the eyes say they aren't being covered any harder than they were covered last season - they are missing wide open shots.

I don't discount that they miss having Rice to lean on from a psychological standpoint. But Rice leaving does not explain regular 30% shooting from those 3 guys.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:06 pm

The thing none of you are looking at is how bad this team is defensively. Dallas Elmore is the only person on the team who has any defensive ability whatsoever. Biko plays defense about as well as Steve Nash, thus letting the opposing team's PG to get absolutely anywhere he wants on the floor. We have no shot blocking presence. The guy guarding Sanders is bound to score 20 points with his 'ole defense.

The offense is not good this season, and is part of the problem, but the defense is the worst I can ever remember it. When was the last time you saw BC play good help defense and actually have players rotate? Whenever someone helps correctly, someone else doesn't rotate and the other team gets a wide open shot. Skinner is no great defensive coach, but this has been awful thus far.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The thing none of you are looking at is how bad this team is defensively. Dallas Elmore is the only person on the team who has any defensive ability whatsoever. Biko plays defense about as well as Steve Nash, thus letting the opposing team's PG to get absolutely anywhere he wants on the floor. We have no shot blocking presence. The guy guarding Sanders is bound to score 20 points with his 'ole defense.

The offense is not good this season, and is part of the problem, but the defense is the worst I can ever remember it. When was the last time you saw BC play good help defense and actually have players rotate? Whenever someone helps correctly, someone else doesn't rotate and the other team gets a wide open shot. Skinner is no great defensive coach, but this has been awful thus far.

You are absolutely right. That said, none of the defensive problems are new. Williams hid a lot of the problems, but Smith, Hinnant and Dudley were average to poor on defense (Marshall was above-average, mostly due to his height). Difference was that those teams were so damn efficient on offense that they could hide how bad they were on defense. This team has put up multiple 30% clunkers and commits a ton of turnovers.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The thing none of you are looking at is how bad this team is defensively. Dallas Elmore is the only person on the team who has any defensive ability whatsoever. Biko plays defense about as well as Steve Nash, thus letting the opposing team's PG to get absolutely anywhere he wants on the floor. We have no shot blocking presence. The guy guarding Sanders is bound to score 20 points with his 'ole defense.

You are absolutely right. That said, none of the defensive problems are new. Williams hid a lot of the problems, but Smith, Hinnant and Dudley were average to poor on defense (Marshall was above-average, mostly due to his height). Difference was that those teams were so damn efficient on offense that they could hide how bad they were on defense. This team has put up multiple 30% clunkers and commits a ton of turnovers.

*** ******* fixed a lot of those issues you're right, as did Ty Blair when he was here. That's why I advocate playing Courtney Dunn, at least he can block shots. Play Paris, Jackson, Sanders, Southern and Dunn at the same time. Give it a try Al, nothing else has worked lately.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

*** ******* fixed a lot of those issues you're right, as did Ty Blair when he was here. That's why I advocate playing Courtney Dunn, at least he can block shots. Play Paris, Jackson, Sanders, Southern and Dunn at the same time. Give it a try Al, nothing else has worked lately.

I agree with the big lineup. I also think that they should sit Raji and park Sanders' ass in the paint and feed him the ball all night long. He should be shooting in Raji territory.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree with the big lineup. I also think that they should sit Raji and park Sanders' ass in the paint and feed him the ball all night long. He should be shooting in Raji territory.

i don't know teddy, getting all the way to the paint is a pretty long walk... it's tough to do in 35 seconds

EXALT.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:54 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

i don't know teddy, getting all the way to the paint is a pretty long walk... it's tough to do in 35 seconds

Not as tough when he only stays on half of the court though.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Next