Brian Gregory

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Brian Gregory

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:20 am

Watching Dayton right now, this an exciting brand of basketball with tough defense and an up-and-down offense. Granted he hasn't gotten Dayton beyond the second round of the NCAAs but Dayton is a tougher sell than BC. I'd be interesting to know if this guy would be a possibility as a replacement for Skinner if the wheels keep coming off the tracks for BC Basketball.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: Brian Gregory

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Watching Dayton right now, this an exciting brand of basketball with tough defense and an up-and-down offense. Granted he hasn't gotten Dayton beyond the second round of the NCAAs but Dayton is a tougher sell than BC. I'd be interesting to know if this guy would be a possibility as a replacement for Skinner if the wheels keep coming off the tracks for BC Basketball.

So now you are telling me the post saying Donahue is a done deal is not done?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:33 pm

EPSTEIN!!

EPPS...

WOW check the date..JANUARY..

I shall abdicate my false Oracle Humble title to you if the SD comment was a lie and BG is named the Head Coach.

WOW...that was some kind of Nostradoofus post...

Even if SD..that was an impressive bit of College Hoops brains!

WOW!

Very nice.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:38 pm

What a great call 4 months ago. Too bad Gene sucks at life and hasn't even fucking interviewed the man who would be awesome here.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:43 pm

Gregory > Donahue

If Gregory comes, maybe he can find a way to bring some of his solid recruiting class with him.

J Staten -- PG -- 95
B Spearman -- SG -- 92
J Berry -- PG -- 91
D Oliver -- SF -- 89
R Hill -- SF -- 87
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 pm

As I stated earlier, I don't think Gregory will get the job. If he does, I will start a pool regarding his tenure and take two seasons or less. Gregory and GDF would not last very long without a major meltdown.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MoMac on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:48 pm

You guys must be kidding about Brian Gregory. At the A-10 tourney, I spoke with a number of Dayton fans that wanted Gregory fired. Even considering the NIT Title, many Dayton fans would be thrilled to see BC take Gregory off their hands.

Cool emoticon ... :skank
MoMac
n00b

Postby gaelfu on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:51 pm

MoMac {l Wrote}:You guys must be kidding about Brian Gregory. At the A-10 tourney, I spoke with a number of Dayton fans that wanted Gregory fired. Even considering the NIT Title, many Dayton fans would be thrilled to see BC take Gregory off their hands.

The question's really as simple as whether we'd prefer someone who's worked under Tom Izzo, or someone who's worked under Al Skinner. Given the choice, I think we'd all prefer the Izzo guy who has been to the tourney and has shown a decent ability to recruit versus the coaches from Northeastern and Fairfield who haven't ever been to the tourney and who are exactly the links to the Skinner regime that GDF seems to be trying to run away from. Make the right move Gene. Go get BG!!!
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:03 am

MoMac {l Wrote}:You guys must be kidding about Brian Gregory. At the A-10 tourney, I spoke with a number of Dayton fans that wanted Gregory fired. Even considering the NIT Title, many Dayton fans would be thrilled to see BC take Gregory off their hands.

Makes sense. How Dayton fans put up with a 75-31 record over the last 3 years is just beside me. The winning must be getting tiresome and boring. And postseason play every year must be such a dissapointment. I mean, just look at the guys body of work at Dayton...he's only had 7 winning seasons out of 8. and the only losing season he had was without his own players. Embarassing. Pathetic. Disgraceful.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:08 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:As I stated earlier, I don't think Gregory will get the job. If he does, I will start a pool regarding his tenure and take two seasons or less. Gregory and GDF would not last very long without a major meltdown.

ATL,
putting aside any potential head butting between GDF and Gregory for a minute, would you not agree that Gregory would do well at BC? Doesn't he fit the mold of what GDF has been rambling about for the past week? "winner, energetic, enthusiasm, Izzo-like, "national" stage coach? I mean, if we are to take GDF at his word, then he'd be in Gregory's living room right now....No?
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:07 am

I feel brilliant for the post, but I'm not so sure he'll be the coach here. I'll take him before the Coen and Cooley crew.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:43 am

EPPSTEIN

I ma hopping on the EPSXPRESS...

Brian Gregory

Last College:
Oakland ('90)

Position:
Head Coach

Record:
125-68 (6 Years at UD)

•Brian Gregory Photo Gallery
When the University of Dayton basketball climbed into the national college basketball rankings in December, 2007, it signaled a benchmark for Flyer head basketball coach Brian Gregory. In less than five seasons at the Hilltop, and in his first with all his recruits on the team, Gregory had put together a Top 25-caliber program.

And when Dayton was ranked again during the 2008-09 season en route to a 27-8 record that included a first-round win in the NCAA tournament, Gregory became the first UD coach since Don Donoher to have the Flyers ranked in back-to-back seasons.

While Gregory is focused on the process of building a program the right way, and simply working toward becoming a better team tomorrow than today, the results speak for themselves. Dayton has won 50 games over the last two seasons and is 6-2 against BCS teams in that time. The Flyers' 27 wins in 2008-09 tied for the second-most in school history and UD had the most post-season individual honors in school history.

Since taking over as Dayton's head coach in 2003, Gregory has a record of 125-68, with two NCAA appearances and an NIT quarterfinal berth. He is one of just 25 coaches who have been at their current school at least five years who average at least 20 wins a season.

That list includes Syracuse's Jim Boeheim, UConn's Jim Calhoun, Florida's Billy Donovan, Michigan State's Tom Izzo, Duke's Mike Kryzewski, Louisville's Rick Pitino, Kansas' Bill Self, Maryland's Gary Williams and North Carolina's Roy Williams.

Gregory's teams have also won two in-season tournament championships -- the 2003 Maui Invitational and the 2008 Chicago Invitational Challenge.

On May 6, 2009, because of his success, and what is expected in the future, the University extended Gregory's contract to run through the 2017-18 season. In making the announcement, UD Vice President and Director of Athletics Tim Wabler it was a decision involving the past, present and future of Dayton basketball.

"The University of Dayton is committed to excellence, and this contract extension demonstrates our commitment to Brian Gregory," Wabler said. "The arc of our men's basketball program is outstanding on many levels. Looking back at our success, we are one of a handful of schools to win 50 games and have been ranked in the last two years. Right now on campus, we have young men of high character in our program who are dedicated to getting better and are earning their degrees. Looking ahead, we a preseason Top 25 team, and we have recruited young men who will continue our program's momentum."

"I don't know what our potential is, but I know we haven't reached it" Wabler added. "And I know Brian Gregory is the man to test the limits of our potential."

Gregory maintains the new contract extension means more about the flyer basketball program than it does about him.

"I've always said that it's an honor to be the head basketball coach at the University of Dayton," Gregory said. "It's a special place and a perfect fit for myself and my family. What this extension demonstrates above all else is that the University believes in our program. And that's bigger than just me. It's our staff, and it's our players. The players who came in at the beginning and have since graduated. The players who are in our program now. And the players who are coming to UD. It's gratifying to know that Tim (Wabler) and Dr. Curran (UD President Dr. Daniel J. Curran), and everyone in our administration believe in them as much as I do."

Gregory's 125 wins in his first six seasons trails only legendary coach Don Donoher's 130. And Gregory's .644 winning percentage is second in UD's modern era to only another UD icon, Tom Blackburn, whose winning percentage was .714. Gregory began his tenure at Dayton with a 9-0 record, the second-best start for a new UD coach in the 100+ year history of varsity basketball at the school. Only Harry Solimano, who won his first 25 games over a three-year span that began in 1911, did better.

Dayton was 24-9 in Gregory's first season, winning the EA Sports Maui Invitational (Gregory is the only rookie coach to win the prestigious early-season tournament) at the beginning, and winning the Atlantic 10 West at the end.

After taking a veteran team to the 2004 NCAA Tournament, Gregory guided one of the youngest teams in the country (six freshmen averaged at least 11 minutes a game) to an 18-11 record, finishing tied for second in the A-10 West. CBS Sportsline.com and collegeinsider.com chose Gregory as their 2004-05 Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year.

Gregory's Flyers opened his third year 8-3, but injuries and a lack of depth limited the Flyers to a 14-17 final record, although it's worth noting five of the wins and 11 of the losses came against post-season teams. In 2006-07, Dayton rebounded to finish 19-12 with nine of the losses coming on the road against teams that won a combined 74.2 percent of their home games.

Last year, the climb continued even with the injuries. The team reinvented itself on the fly after the great start was diluted by the loss of Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team selection Chris Wright, the first and most damaging of the injuries. Dayton was 23-11 and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NIT, losing at eventual champ Ohio State in 2007-08.

For the past two years, Gregory has traveled to the Persian Gulf to support the troops in the USO's "Operation Hardwood," a USO/Armed Forces Entertainment tour.

"These men and women sacrifice so much to serve our country," Gregory said. "They put themselves in harm's way every day, and it was a great honor to be with them over there."

Among the coaches and basketball figures who have participated in previous tours are Jay Bilas, Mike Brey, Bobby Cremins, Karl Hobbs, Tom Izzo, Bobby Lutz, Dave Odom, the late Skip Prosser, Tubby Smith and Gary Williams.

Each of Gregory's recruiting classes has produced at least player who has earned postseason honors from the Atlantic 10 Conference. UD's RPI has climbed from 183 after the 2005-06 season to 75, 32 and finally 27 after the 2008-09 campaign.

Gregory brought with him to Dayton the knowledge of what it takes to win championships, and a reputation as a top-notch recruiter. On the court, his Flyers won titles in their first two opportunities with the trophies from Maui and the A-10 West division. The first recruiting class Gregory and his staff signed to play for UD was ranked as high as 17th in the nation.

He also demonstrated his skills as a bench coach, making savvy move after savvy move in the championship game of the Maui Invitational. Since it was Maui, it would be tempting to say that UD coach Brian Gregory drew up the defense that turned the tide in the Hawai'i game in the sand, but figuratively speaking you wouldn't be far off.

Down eight at halftime, the Flyer coaches refined one of their zone defenses with a secretive walk-through at halftime with the Hawai'i team just a few feet away. Here's Gregory's post-game description: "We thought if they started clicking on offense we might try the zone. But it was close enough for most of the first half, we wanted to save it for the second half, so they couldn't make any adjustments at halftime. We actually did a walk-through of what we wanted to do at halftime. Up where the locker rooms are, there is an open space right outside the locker room door. We put the defense in right there. I told everyone to make sure they were quiet because Hawai'i was just on the other side of the divider they put up between the two teams up there."

The strategy and execution it took to win at Maui didn't go unnoticed. ESPN's Jay Bilas made this observation after the tournament: "...Gregory did a great job of preparing his team, and his handling of the second half of the Hawai'i game was outstanding. Gregory's call for a lob play out of a critical timeout was well-conceived and well-executed, worthy of a veteran coach."

Gregory, 42, was named the Flyers' 18th head coach on April 9, 2003 (although he is just the fifth UD coach in the last 59 years). He came to Dayton from Michigan State, where he was associate head coach on Tom Izzo's Spartan staff. While at MSU, he was part of two Final Four teams, including Michigan State's national championship team in 2000.

"I'm honored and excited to be named the head basketball coach at the University of Dayton," Gregory said. "It's a program rich in tradition with tremendous community and fan support, and a great foundation has been laid for this program."

"I've been well-prepared by my mentors-Jud Heathcote (former Michigan State coach), Kevin O'Neill (current Arizona assistant coach) and Tom Izzo (current Michigan State head coach)-and look forward to building a championship program at UD."

A native of Mount Prospect, Illinois, Gregory brought 15 years of coaching experience to Dayton, with 12 of them coming in the Big Ten. Teams he was with have reached the post-season in 12 of his 15 seasons. He began his coaching career in 1990 at Michigan State University on Jud Heathcote's staff until 1995, and then Tom Izzo's staff when Izzo succeeded Heathcote.

In 1996, Gregory followed Stan Joplin when Joplin went from Michigan State to become Toledo's head coach. After one season at Toledo, Gregory returned to the Big Ten by joining Kevin O'Neill's program at Northwestern. Gregory returned to Michigan State for the 1999-2000 season when he joined Tom Izzo's staff in East Lansing. After two seasons serving as an assistant coach, Gregory was elevated to Associate Head Coach for the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons.

In his last stint at Michigan State, the Spartans went to the NCAA tournament all four seasons, reaching the Final Four in 2000 and 2001, and winning the NCAA national championship in 2000.

In the four years coinciding with Gregory's return to Michigan State, the Spartans had a national championship, two Final Four appearances, three Elite Eight appearances, four NCAA bids, two Big Ten Championships, four players drafted in the first round of the NBA draft, and MSU signed six McDonald's All-Americans.

While preparing to be a head coach, Gregory had been recognized as one of the top assistant coaches in the country by such recognized publications as The Sporting News and Sports Illustrated.

As a recruiter, he was part of four Top Ten recruiting classes at Michigan State. He also helped bring a Top Twenty recruiting class to Northwestern.

Gregory is the fourth Tom Izzo assistant to land a Division I head coaching position. In addition to Joplin, Indiana's Tom Crean (who took Marquette to the 2004 Final Four) and Arkansas' Stan Heath (who took Kent State to the 2002 Sweet Sixteen) are part of Izzo's coaching family tree.

Gregory graduated from Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan, in 1990 with a Bachelor of Arts in Secondary Education. While at Oakland, he was a three-time all-conference selection, and was named an Academic All-American in 1990. He was inducted into Oakland's Hall of Fame in 1997. Before transferring to Oakland, Gregory spent one year at the United States Naval Academy, and was a teammate of David Robinson on Navy's 1985-86 team that advanced to the NCAA Elite Eight (note: That was not the Navy team that played in the NCAA tournament in UD Arena. Navy beat LSU and lost to Maryland in 1985 at UD Arena.). He also holds a master's degree in Athletic Administration from Michigan State (`92).

Not content to be a prominent member of the University of Dayton community impacting the lives of the student-athletes on his team, Gregory has become very involved in the Dayton community since coming to the Miami Valley in 2003. He is the spokesperson for National City's "Real Men Wear Pink" breast cancer prevention and care program. He was also the honorary chair of the United Way's 2007 pledge campaign. Gregory and his wife Yvette are most heavily involved in a local chapter of "Secret Smiles," a charity that delivers beds and bedding to children of families who cannot provide for them.

Not only do the Gregorys lend their time and support to the annual auction held every year on the "Flyer Feedback" post-game radio show (last year's auction raised $18,000 in one night), the coach also helps deliver the beds. "It's one of my favorite things to do," Gregory says. "I pull my UD ball cap down low, and I'm just a guy delivering a bed."

Brian and Yvette have two daughters -- Isabella, and Elyse.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:45 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I feel brilliant for the post, but I'm not so sure he'll be the coach here. I'll take him before the Coen and Cooley crew.

That would make my Sunday night call that Al was fired and being bought out and my source said Coen was hired 1,000,000% right and me a half assed genius...that can't happen!!!

Head coaching record
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Dayton (Atlantic Ten Conference) (2003–present)
2003–2004 Dayton 24-9 12-4 1st (East) NCAA First Round
2004–2005 Dayton 18-11 10-6 T-2nd (West)
2005–2006 Dayton 14-17 6-10 T-11th
2006–2007 Dayton 19-12 8-8 T-7th
2007–2008 Dayton 23-11 8-8 T-7th NIT Quarterfinals
2008–2009 Dayton 27-8 11-5 T-2nd NCAA Second Round
2009-2010 Dayton 25-12 8-8 7th NIT Champions
Dayton: 150-80 63-49
Total: 150-80

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby MoMac on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:40 am

With a guy like Gregory, you guys also have to keep in mind that he'll presumably have more stringent recruiting parameters at BC (academics) than he's had at Dayton.

Richmond had this problem when we brough in Jerry Wainright. My two cents...
MoMac
n00b

Return to Conte Forum