Al is dumbfounded

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Al is dumbfounded

Postby h2o on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:35 am

Al sounds lost, like he's lost control of the squad. I feel bad for the guy, he's stuck with some bad apples that are dragging everybody else down.

--------------------------------

Trying to explain how his team went from executing in the first half to unraveling in the second, BC coach Al Skinner was dumbfounded.

“I don’t know how to explain it," he said.

"We clearly did not match their intensity," Skinner said. "It’s just a tale of two halves. I can’t believe we didn’t come out with more energy than we did. We mishandled the basketball. We didn’t execute. We missed our free throws. Had a couple of layups, missed those. It was just a lack of intensity on our part and obviously that’s the difference in the ball game. You’ve got to be willing to play 40 minutes and obviously we did not."
h2o
Campion Hall

Re: Al is dumbfounded

Postby auggiebc on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:25 am

Maryland, which is a bad team, is going to kill us too, based on how this team is playing.

I mean, you can't beat many teams when your players CAN'T SHOOT.

Can we get a home-and-home with NJIT?
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby auggiebc on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:41 am

“Missed layups and free throws have nothing to do with the defense (Duke) was playing,” Skinner said. “We get it. We just have to follow it through.”

and herein is the problem for me; this team doesn't hit layups, free throws, wide open jump shots.....they don't box out on defense, they don't get any loose balls, etc,etc.

how do baseketball players who are good enough to play on scholarship for an ACC program NOT able to do these basic things? Even Al is wondering this now. We are halfway through the season, and not one player has been able to find their range from 8,10,12, 15 feet? Not ONE player remembers to box out? They still get LOST on offense when the other team makes the slightest adjustments? None of them can hit a contested (or uncontested) layup??

Is this Al's fault? Are the assistant coaches not doing their job? Or is it just that these players aren't good?

I'm baffled.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:08 am

I always blame coaching if a team looks embaressing. How many times have we seen a great coach walk into an underacheiving program and turn it around by adding discipline and intensity. Coaches like Calipari and Pitino are worth 5 wins at least to any teams.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:17 am

The only record that matters is that we are 1-0 in ACC play, all is well! (doh) :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby cremins on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:35 am

agreed, al seems lost and the kids are playing dumb basketball. the second we get behind, they fall apart. we know teams are going to press us and we still seem lost with the press. the free thow shooting is just terrible, i dont think that al even practices them at all. i do think it is time for a change after this year with al, he seems like he has lost the team. there is no way that sanders should have played more than 1 second more after just one of his dumb plays. he should have been benched the rest of the game. trapani was awful also, hoisting up way too many bad threes. raji couldnt buy an outside shot. was happy with southern and elmore and the effort they put out there. they should be awarded with more playing time for effort. lets get the message out there that hustle and hard play will be rewarded. the only hustle play i saw all day was southern hard fouling smith on the alley oop. duke players, as much i hate them, hustle more than we do and are on the floor more than we are. i love al, he is a classy, classy guy who has been great for the school but he needs to shake things up if he wants to stay the coach. take a T, bench sanders and trap if he is going to take terrible shots.
cremins
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:46 am

Look at the bright side, Trapani got his shots coming out of the half. I didn't post last night, but man is that guy a chucker. The guys I watched the game with were dumbfounded by the shots he took to turn a 3 point deficit into a 14 point deficit in about 3 minutes (including 2 Al time outs).
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:56 am

Trapani needs to be shocked every time he takes a shot outside of 15 feet. I think he's shooting like 2% from 3 point range this year. I hate the 2009-2010 versions of Trapani/Sanders.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Look at the bright side, Trapani got his shots coming out of the half. I didn't post last night, but man is that guy a chucker. The guys I watched the game with were dumbfounded by the shots he took to turn a 3 point deficit into a 14 point deficit in about 3 minutes (including 2 Al time outs).

This is exactly what killed us. That was the stupidest 3 minutes of play i've ever seen . He singlehandedly threw away everything the team had fought for in the first half. I think there was one good, open shot, and of course he bricked it. It seemed he was determined to ignore the patient, ball protecting offense that paid off in the first half so he could get his shots. Terrible.
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Look at the bright side, Trapani got his shots coming out of the half. I didn't post last night, but man is that guy a chucker. The guys I watched the game with were dumbfounded by the shots he took to turn a 3 point deficit into a 14 point deficit in about 3 minutes (including 2 Al time outs).

There is so much to dump on here and you choose Trapani? Trapani took a total of 4 shots in the first 3 minutes of the 2nd half, resulting in 0-3 and 2 pts from the line. Is that why BC lost? No, play some defense or don't turn the ball over for easy layups and the game remains close. Don't tell me 4 shots changed a 20 point game where you're outrebounded by 15 and give up a shitload of points in the paint. Classic twb, though.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:18 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

There is so much to dump on here and you choose Trapani? Trapani took a total of 4 shots in the first 3 minutes of the 2nd half, resulting in 0-3 and 2 pts from the line. Is that why BC lost? No, play some defense or don't turn the ball over for easy layups and the game remains close. Don't tell me 4 shots changed a 20 point game where you're outrebounded by 15 and give up a shitload of points in the paint. Classic twb, though.

Watch those first 3 mins again. He was chucking up terrible shots that turned into layups, and had a couple turnovers. They were critical mistakes coming right after a great half of bball that turned a 3 pt game into a 10 pt game in the blink of an eye. I was swearing at him so badly that my wife and I got into a fight b/c she was embarrased our neighbors would hear it.
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:21 am

BCDF22 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Watch those first 3 mins again. He was chucking up terrible shots that turned into layups, and had a couple turnovers. They were critical mistakes coming right after a great half of bball that turned a 3 pt game into a 10 pt game in the blink of an eye. I was swearing at him so badly that my wife and I got into a fight b/c she was embarrased our neighbors would hear it.

He had 1 TO (his only one of the game). He took two 3's and two 2's (one resulting in the FTs). He didn't play well and those clearly weren't the right things to do at the time and were borderline REtard. But to single him out as the only reason the game got out of hand is silly at best.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:28 am

He's not the only reason, but he was a big one. He made several bad decisions, consecutively, during a crucial point in the game. How can you deny that? they needed to come out and be patient on offense and protect the ball as they had in the first half, and he immediately started chucking up shots
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:48 am

BCDF22 {l Wrote}:He's not the only reason, but he was a big one. He made several bad decisions, consecutively, during a crucial point in the game. How can you deny that? they needed to come out and be patient on offense and protect the ball as they had in the first half, and he immediately started chucking up shots

So saying "He didn't play well and those clearly weren't the right things to do at the time and were borderline REtard" in my most recent post above is denying that he made bad decisions and didn't play well?

My argument is that even if you say he is directly attributable to these 6 points for Duke on the TO and 3 poor missed shots, that it's not as bad as you're making it out to be and certainly wasn't any worse than giving them 6 off the bat, the block of TOs to start the half, or allowing Duke to get 11 offensive rebounds in the 1st 15 minutes of the second half. It was easy to spot, but it wasn't as important to the outcome of the game as a ton of other factors.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:11 pm

you can't pin this on one player. Trapani is playing poorly, but so is everyone else. I knew there was no way you would mention your boy sanders though. After all, he is going to the nba after ths year.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:43 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Who said I blamed Trapani for the loss? I blame him for the full retard play he demonstrated for the first three minutes of the second half.

Trapani has been one of the two most disappointing players on this team. He has regressed as much or more than Sanders. Sanders gets shit on ad nauseum, no need for me to pile on. It's time people started pointing out that Trapani sucks.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Who said I blamed Trapani for the loss? I blame him for the full retard play he demonstrated for the first three minutes of the second half.

Trapani has been one of the two most disappointing players on this team. He has regressed as much or more than Sanders. Sanders gets shit on ad nauseum, no need for me to pile on. It's time people started pointing out that Trapani sucks.

No. Roche doesn't really get shit on too often because he sucks but he tries. Sanders doesn't try. I have absolutely no problem with people shitting on him as much as they please until he is giving 100%, something he hasn't had all season.

That being said, Trapani has regressed in a big way this year.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

yes, my mistake...you didn't blame the loss on him. I took that too far. I'm trying to show you and others that you are exaggerating both what occurred and the impact of that 3 minute stretch.

Your 2nd paragraph is spot on.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby ryrob on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:09 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:That being said, Trapani has regressed in a big way this year.

I can't believe I used to consider Trapani to be a "shooter" last year. I watched him completely brick 3 wide open, uncontested 3s last night all at critical junctures. No one on this team can shoot, but at least he used to be able to.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:That being said, Trapani has regressed in a big way this year.

I can't believe I used to consider Trapani to be a "shooter" last year. I watched him completely brick 3 wide open, uncontested 3s last night all at critical junctures. No one on this team can shoot, but at least he used to be able to.

someone should ask addict if trap is missing them in practice as well

NO YOU DIDN'T!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum