2nd half analysis

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2nd half analysis

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Missed the first half... the good part... Oh, well. But I did notice Jackson's effort and aggressiveness (other than the missed layup), Raji sinking into nothingness (that travel on a layup was beautiful), the good work of Ravenel and Elmore, and the way the referees sucked cock. They did a good job of getting Southern out of the game. But, so did he. Rakim Sanders sucks. And if you're reading this, Rakim, TRY A LITTLE HARDER (I am aware that players and recruits read this board, so I must be careful or they might transfer or decommit). And Ravenel is the worst free throw shooter in history. I was also aware of the raping by Zoubek. But, I did appreciate Southern's effort against him.

I guess BC knows how they should play, now. Like they did in the 1st half. Hopefully it's a learning experience.

Jackson -- B+ Effort: B+ -- Was very aggresive. Played hard and scored 20.
Sanders -- D+ Effort: D -- Not acceptable out of him
Raji -- F Effort: F -- No effort. Dissapeared. Nice travel on a layup.
Trapani -- C Effort: C+ -- Few decent rebounds
Southern -- B- Effort: A- -- Played very hard which is all we can ask.
Paris -- C Effort: C -- Not much to say. Seemed sloppy. Did not help or hurt the team.

Ravenel -- C+ Effort: B -- Nice block or two, decent offense.
Elmore -- C+ Effort: B -- Had a really nice move that was almost a three point play.
Roche -- B- Effort: B- -- Appreciated his defense.
Last edited by BCEagles25 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Re: 2nd half analysis

Postby apbc12 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:09 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Missed the first half... the good part... Oh, well. But I did notice Jackson's effort and aggressiveness (other than the missed layup), Raji sinking into nothingness (that travel on a layup was beautiful), the good work of Ravenel and Elmore, and the way the referees sucked cock. They did a good job of getting Southern out of the game. But, so did he.

I guess BC knows how they should play, now. Like they did in the 1st half. Hopefully it's a learning experience.

I've never been prouder of Southern. He played hard and even cleaned Nolan Smith's clock--a foul which should not have been called intentional.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 pm

How many learning experience's is it going to take for a team of Junior's to figure it out? They're just bad. And if Noreen and Heslip aren't really good, they're going to be just as bad next season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:How many learning experience's is it going to take for a team of Junior's to figure it out? They're just bad. And if Noreen and Heslip aren't really good, they're going to be just as bad next season.

that's what scares me. the nucleus we have makes me think it may be at least 3-4 years before BC is even competitive again - and that would be with EXCELLENT recruiting.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMcG on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:18 pm

2nd half analysis:
:puke
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:21 pm

:gun
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:22 pm

How is that 74 Al skinner recruiting probation thread going I started back 3 years ago?

:lol: :lol:
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ryrob on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 pm

The second half can be summed up thusly: Duke and Coach K made adjustments, BC and Al Skinner did not. Once Duke went on a roll, the players gave up and didn't want to be patient in the flex. Fin. :suicide
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:39 pm

2nd half analysis:

-They couldn't make a shot
-They couldn't handle/hang on to the basketball
-They passed the ball to Duke instead of their own players
-They couldn't get a defensive rebound
-They couldn't have played any worse in that 2nd half. It was embarassing. Just like most of the other games they have played this year.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Good eval. I too appreciated Southern's play - until the 4 fouls in a 2 minute span (no way that was an intentional - he went for the ball and got a lot of it).

The game went as expected: when the better coach knew what had to be done, he took over and stuck the dagger in with his more talented and motivated players. The FT shooting was bad and Sanders (2-12 shooting adding in the lane violation miss that doesn't show in the box) should be utterly embarrassed with himself. Clutch player.

On the good side, at least they weren't jacking 3's or settling for jumpers the majority of the game. I say some good aggression and better team play. But still obviously not nearly enough.

These guys don't seem to know their roles on either side of the floor. The only way teams like BC can win games against better teams is with either 1) some luck, 2) each player knowing their role and playing that role effectively or 3) a combination of the two.

25 - the one thing I would argue is Jackson's praise. Don't get me wrong, he played solid, but seven of his points were meaningless teardrops against the Duke backups in the last 2+ minutes.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:01 pm

alot of the things they are struggling with are things they shouldn't be struggling with. namely;

-boxing out on defense to be in position to get a rebound.
-hitting open shots every once in a while. I mean, just make a few shots, for the love of god.
-free throws.
-missed layups.

these are things that even bad teams can do. but for some reason, halfway through the season, BC still can't do these things.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby DallasEire on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:35 pm

The way the second half was fully expected from anyone watching this team over the three years this nucleus has been on campus. They display enough talent to show you they should be better but they have very low basketball IQ coupled with very questionable effort.

It is absolutely unacceptable what Sanders is bringing to the table at this point. If you don't want to be out there then drop out of school but quit the charade that you're at BC to develop into a basketball player and we all know you're not there to actually educate yourself. There are plenty of part-time positions open at the Cumberland Farms in Central Falls. Here is the obligatory but he has great natural talent line but just look at him when he plays. He still cannot dribble the ball. He still is out of shape. He still has no idea how to create his own offense. He still cannot make free throws. He still loses interest and his frustration shows in a refusal to put forth any effort. In short, he appears from this distance to be a cancer on this team. I'll take Elmore and his effort any day of the week. If you want one play to sum up this pathetic season just look at Sanders' lack of hustle early in the second half when he was right next to his man on a run out and he just trotted to the other end while the fuckbag Dukie sprinted ahead for a dunk. Chicklets should have horse-collared him off the floor immediately after that effort.

Also, how about finding a rotation and sticking with it Chicklets. For better or for worse it is time to let some unit develop some cohesiveness.

I cannot fathom a poorer shooting team in Division One.

Has anyone seen any of the juniors develop in the smallest ? Each of these juniors had major flaws in a specific part of their game and none of them have either shown the interest or the effort to develop. This falls, in some part, on Coach Handsome. That said, Raji still cannot make a shot regardless of distance from the basket. Sanders' woes are listed above. Paris is pretending to be a leader in the style of his play but the distorted image that we see is a player logging forty minutes without having the slightest positive influence on the game. There is certainly no leadership there. Southern is incredibly out of shape. He has remained that way since his entry into school. He is the only 6'10" black man ever born on to this planet that cannot dunk a basketball. It is unacceptable that no variable of his game has improved at all.

Does anyone on this team actually have opposable thumbs ? I have never seen anyone since Shit Hooks Robert Parish with worse hands than this collective bunch. Embarrassing how they could not grab the ball in the second half.

I think we've put to bed the thought that this team would be improved without Rice. We don't actually need a player with the ability to score off the bounce. It is also unacceptable that Coach Handsome could not see that this team is made up completely of complimentary players. There isn't one player on this team that can create his own offense. That being the case, you recruit a point guard heavily that can drive and dish or you change the fucking style of play. Open up to full court basketball. This team is a head case. They need easy offense to keep them in the game remotely and anyone that watched the South Carolina game can see that any momentum they can build is typically done when they're out and running.

At this point, the season is surely lost. To develop an idea of what is fully needed here they have to play to whatever strengths this core demonstrates. There is talent on this team but there is no ability to create their own shot and an open attitude of resignation when they cannot find their offense. There is a much longer trend of disinterest in defense but Coach Handsome's teams have always been suspect defensively.

The season has ended before it began but the real ass-whip of this team is that they are unwatchable.

I don't think you can measure the positives that Handsome has brought this program but I think he owes the six or seven people providing the foundation of a fan-base some details of the plan here. We seem to have some belief that we landed a real whale when we signed Heslip but all that i've seen in his youtube video was a player making free throws against competition roughly at a level akin to the Tri Valley league as opposed to a league that can transalate into collegiate success. Outside of that you have a base of malcontents playing in a system that none of them accept and a coach that looks like he's serving a prison term.

For anyone that actually likes the basketball program we are not yet there because of prior success but we are going to run right through :toby :toby :toby levels into the years of Doug Able, David Hinton, and wasting of special talents like Dana Barros... This sucks.
Last edited by DallasEire on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DallasEire
n00b

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Trapani was awful. Idk how you give him a grade anything higher than a D.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:53 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Trapani was awful. Idk how you give him a grade anything higher than a D.

Primarily for the reason I listed. You act like a C is good.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:00 pm

Grades:

Sanders F- (should have his scholarship revoked)
Paris B (he can't shoot at all but can at least get us into our offense, unlike Jackson)
Raji C- (he tries, but that's the nicest thing I can say)
Southern A- (he played well tonight and hustled)
Trapani C (I thought he could shoot, apparently not. When not making shots, he's useless)

Jackson C
Elmore A-
Dunn C+
Roche B-
Ravanel C+

The bottom line here is that when Sanders and Trapani suck this bad, we cannot win. Raji tries hard but is untalented. Our guards between Paris and Jackson were good enough tonight to win. Good for Josh Southern, best game I've seen him play at BC. The bench was fine, but Jackson was an absolutely shit-shot in the 2nd half playing PG. He can't get us into an offense set, he just tries to drive and turns it over. They need to let Heslip play PG and move Jackson to the 2. Elmore was good tonight. Roche, Dunn and Ravanel tried hard, but on the overall were disapointing, especially Dunn.

Overall, when three of our starting five get grades of F-, C and C-, we're not going to win any games. Trapani and Sanders have shown they have the ability, Raji is the one of the most over-rated players at BC IMO in recent memory. He does fine against the awful OOC teams, but is useless in the ACC>
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Trapani was awful. Idk how you give him a grade anything higher than a D.

It is average. He was anything but that tonight.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:03 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

8 points, 4 rebounds is "okay." I guess.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Not when you average double that.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:19 am

Posted this on ATL's blog:
Sanders should have his scholarship revoked. He plays with a me first attitude on offense (in a system that thrives on team) and doesn't even try to play on D. This isn't the first time he hasn't hustled back on D this is been happening all season and the fact that there are no repercussions for his actions shows how lost Skinner is. I'd rather have a lineup of: Biko, Reggie, Dallas, Courtney & Josh -5 people who will give it their all on both sides of the ball I don't give a sh*t about stars and potential I want people that want to play a team game. Sanders on the other hand despite his new 245 lb. frame seems content on launching 3s opposed to backing down Schyer who is more than 50 lbs lighter than him; and is not concerned of making it beyond half court on D. I want to support several players on this team but I just find myself going to the games and screaming at Al to design 1 play to break a press or Corey to make at least jog back on D -I feel as if it is pointless.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:34 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Not when you average double that.

8 points is still the second highest point total for the game.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Posted this on ATL's blog:
Sanders should have his scholarship revoked. He plays with a me first attitude on offense (in a system that thrives on team) and doesn't even try to play on D. This isn't the first time he hasn't hustled back on D this is been happening all season and the fact that there are no repercussions for his actions shows how lost Skinner is. I'd rather have a lineup of: Biko, Reggie, Dallas, Courtney & Josh -5 people who will give it their all on both sides of the ball I don't give a sh*t about stars and potential I want people that want to play a team game. Sanders on the other hand despite his new 245 lb. frame seems content on launching 3s opposed to backing down Schyer who is more than 50 lbs lighter than him; and is not concerned of making it beyond half court on D. I want to support several players on this team but I just find myself going to the games and screaming at Al to design 1 play to break a press or Corey to make at least jog back on D -I feel as if it is pointless.

Exalt. Sanders is just depressing to watch. In fact, this whole team is.

The terrible thing about watching this team is that they show you just enough to make you think they might turn a corner/might have the ability, and then it all falls apart - almost every game they play very well for at least a few minutes and unwatchably badly for a few minutes. It would be better to watch a team that you just knew was going to suck, because you could take pride in the small improvements throughout the year.

It's like "here's what we could do", but "here's what you're going to get instead."

Arggh
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:51 am

Judging how a player played by point total is a joke. Trapani was god awful last night. Sanders wasn't much better. Agree with the Southern love - he looked like he cared last night.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCDF22 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:54 am

Trapani was awful. He basically gave Duke 10 pts to start the second half with turnovers and stupid shot selection. I assume the coaches told him to be more aggressive in 2nd half, but he came out and played like a 'tard in the first 4 mins and by himself was responsible for about 4 fast breaks. Nothing more needs to be said about Rakim
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 am

BCDF22 {l Wrote}:Trapani was awful. He basically gave Duke 10 pts to start the second half with turnovers and stupid shot selection. I assume the coaches told him to be more aggressive in 2nd half, but he came out and played like a 'tard in the first 4 mins and by himself was responsible for about 4 fast breaks. Nothing more needs to be said about Rakim

Hilarious - 0-3 from the floor, 2-2 from the line, 1 TO (his only of the game) in that 3 minutes and the guy is the sole reason we lost. Utterly hilarious. Trapani did not play well, but making him the scapegoat and ignorting some other glaring issues is pure comedy.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BC '00 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:16 am

It was especially depressing that absolutely nothing was done to stop the run at the beginning of the 2nd half. Al called 2 timeouts, but nothing changed out of either of them. Knight and Rece Davis mentioned it a ton, but they just completely stopped running the offense. They also failed to mention that Trapani chucked 3's on I think 3 straight possessions, missing all of them badly. Also, they didn't mention anything about BC turning it over like 5 times in 6 trips. After the first half's promise, the beginning of the second half was a slap in the face. And why wouldn't you expect the team to roll over and give up when Al couldn't even be bothered to stand up and yell to the players what they should be doing. He'd sit there, then call a timeout, then talk to them, then nothing would change. It was a complete disgrace.

I've had an issue with Sanders since last year. When he took the last shot of Tyrese's career, it was a bad shot, he missed, and then walked off the court like he didn't care, I wanted to bench him for eternity. Just rubbed me the wrong way. What I saw from him last night was inexcusable. He's that type of player who just makes up his mind that he's shooting every time he touches the ball, then forces all sorts of dumb shots. Disgraciad. And I'm glad other people picked up on his lack of hustle leading to that Duke fast break alley-oop...that's the same bullshit our guys have pulled for years...dogging it back on defense during fast breaks. Pathetic.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:alot of the things they are struggling with are things they shouldn't be struggling with. namely;

-boxing out on defense to be in position to get a rebound.
-hitting open shots every once in a while. I mean, just make a few shots, for the love of god.
-free throws.
-missed layups.

these are things that even bad teams can do. but for some reason, halfway through the season, BC still can't do these things.

I attribute the boxing out problems not with unwillingness or inability to do so. It's part of having such a terrible defense. When players have to step up to play help defense constantly because no one can guard one-on-one (Biko and Sanders allow their guys to dribble around them at frsutrating rates), then guys are going to be out of position when they step up. If they didn't have to step up so much, the boxing out and rebounding would be better. At least that's how I see it.

I agree with all the other points - it just makes it that much harder to win a basketball game when you can't or don't do these things (obviously).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:22 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BCDF22 {l Wrote}:Trapani was awful. He basically gave Duke 10 pts to start the second half with turnovers and stupid shot selection. I assume the coaches told him to be more aggressive in 2nd half, but he came out and played like a 'tard in the first 4 mins and by himself was responsible for about 4 fast breaks. Nothing more needs to be said about Rakim

Hilarious - 0-3 from the floor, 2-2 from the line, 1 TO (his only of the game) in that 3 minutes and the guy is the sole reason we lost. Utterly hilarious. Trapani did not play well, but making him the scapegoat and ignorting some other glaring issues is pure comedy.

Did I say he was the only reason we lost? Where did I say that? What I did say, is that he was primarily responsible for the Duke's big run that started the 2nd half and basically put the game out of reach (due to our inability to shoot/score/generally mount a comback). Rakim had a turnover in that same stretch for good measure.
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am

BCDF22 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Did I say he was the only reason we lost? Where did I say that? What I did say, is that he was primarily responsible for the Duke's big run that started the 2nd half and basically put the game out of reach (due to our inability to shoot/score/generally mount a comback). Rakim had a turnover in that same stretch for good measure.

He didn't just "give Duke 10 points" and 4 fast breaks. A long rebound off a 3 - dunk on the other end, a TO led to a layup, and a missed 3 - a jump shot on the other end. That's 6. And only 2 fast breaks. Why two bad shots on the offensive end are directly attributed to what happened on the other end is beyond me. Happens all the time with good and bad shots. It was a bad 3 minutes. As I've said, I'm not sure why it's being singled out as more horrible than it was. I'm not sure I'd say primarily responsible when the 1st 6 points were scored outside of that bad 3 minutes and there were only 6 scored within this time frame. A 13 point deficit shoudl not be insurmountable either. We disagree, so be it.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:50 am

Trapani has sucked this whole year. He is a liability on the floor right now.

Against the good teams we've played:

Miami: 5 pts 6 rbs in 34 minutes (1 of 13 shooting)
South Carolina: 9 pts 8 rbs in 26 minutes (4 of 12)
Clemson: 13 pts 5 rbs in 28 minutes (6 of 12)
Duke: 8 pts 4 rbs in 24 minutes (2 of 7)

Under 30% from the floor in these games. This trend does not bode well for the in conference schedule.

To be honest, I've seen him live multiple games this year and he has never looked as comfortable this year as he did last year.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:20 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Trapani has sucked this whole year. He is a liability on the floor right now.

Against the good teams we've played:

Miami: 5 pts 6 rbs in 34 minutes (1 of 13 shooting)
South Carolina: 9 pts 8 rbs in 26 minutes (4 of 12)
Clemson: 13 pts 5 rbs in 28 minutes (6 of 12)
Duke: 8 pts 4 rbs in 24 minutes (2 of 7)

Under 30% from the floor in these games. This trend does not bode well for the in conference schedule.

To be honest, I've seen him live multiple games this year and he has never looked as comfortable this year as he did last year.

Absolutely. And it says a lot about this team that he is clearly still one of the 3-4 best players.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum