THAT is coaching...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

THAT is coaching...

Postby EagleDave on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:53 pm

After losing star F Tyler Smith...BC grad Bruce Pearl rallies his Tennessee Vols past the #1 Kansas Jayhawks...

Why don't people want Pearl to be the coach here?
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Re: THAT is coaching...

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:55 pm

Ha, that was as predictable from the hoops weirdos as the suicide watch. Fucking awesome.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Ha, that was as predictable from the hoops weirdos as the suicide watch. Fucking awesome.

I love how TWB the Al apologist has nothing to fall back on anymore so all he posts is "that was predictable". The ironic thing is just how predictable his posts are.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:00 pm

I didn't see the game. What adjustments did Pearl make to counter Kansas down the stretch?

I like Pearl, btw.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Ha, that was as predictable from the hoops weirdos as the suicide watch. Fucking awesome.

I love how TWB the Al apologist has nothing to fall back on anymore so all he posts is "that was predictable". The ironic thing is just how predictable his posts are.

How's this for predictable? Is the point that beating the #1 team in the country makes you a good coach? http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290040153
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:01 pm

And you hoop weirdos calling me an Al apologist is the height of hilarity. This board rules.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ryrob on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:07 pm

Tennessee 9-18 3 PT FG (50%). That's 27 points right there. More than makes up for missing 14 FTs. That's how you beat a good team.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

How's this for predictable? Is the point that beating the #1 team in the country makes you a good coach? http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290040153

and that was even MORE predictable.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Actually, Pearl probably is a good replacement for Al. He seems to have the "beat #1, finish fourth and lose in the second round as a high seed" formula perfected even more than Al does.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

and that was even MORE predictable.

You win. I don't bother pointing out the stupidity of the first post given the UNC game and I am predictable. I point out the stupidity and I am predictable. Maybe it is predictable because you know it is stupid.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Considering Pearl has contributed to Al's "losing as a higher seed" reputation with inferior teams (UW-M), I think I'd take my chances with the coach that gives half a shit that he hasn't been able to get past the first weekend consistently.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:16 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Considering Pearl has contributed to Al's "losing as a higher seed" reputation with inferior teams (UW-M), I think I'd take my chances with the coach that gives half a shit that he hasn't been able to get past the first weekend consistently.

Hey don't set your standards too low, EagleOJ will accuse you of wanting mediocrity.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:52 pm

This year is just an overall cluster-fuck. The players are terrible so frankly it doesn't matter how well or poorly Al coaches. The good news is that we're taking a team with no leadership, is terrible at shooting and can't play defense into Cameron Indoor on Wednesday Night on national television after Duke just lost. Keeping it within 20 would be a moral victory.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Pearl gives you two things that Skinner doesn't:

1. He genuinely tries to generate a buzz and appeal more to fans, particularly students.
2. His teams play a more exciting brand of basketball. They're more athletic, they run, they put up more points.

When all is said and done, though, you're probably looking at similar results (about 20 wins, short stay in the tourney). If you're willing to pay Pearl 3x as much and also deal with questionable ethics (questionable recruiting practices, players charged with felonies), he's your guy. I'm not saying I wouldn't take the risk because the program could use some sort of change, but let's not assume that Pearl is the answer.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:34 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:Pearl gives you two things that Skinner doesn't:

1. He genuinely tries to generate a buzz and appeal more to fans, particularly students.
2. His teams play a more exciting brand of basketball. They're more athletic, they run, they put up more points.

When all is said and done, though, you're probably looking at similar results (about 20 wins, short stay in the tourney). If you're willing to pay Pearl 3x as much and also deal with questionable ethics (questionable recruiting practices, players charged with felonies), he's your guy. I'm not saying I wouldn't take the risk because the program could use some sort of change, but let's not assume that Pearl is the answer.

Sean Miller would have been the answer. Your thoughts on him TWB?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:38 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:Pearl gives you two things that Skinner doesn't:

Sean Miller would have been the answer. Your thoughts on him TWB?

+1 on Sean Miller. Would have brought our program to elite status.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm

I like Sean Miller. I also really like one of the names that angryty tosses around, Baron.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:18 pm

You fire Al types need to get more real about two things:

1. The timetable of any coaching change. Because of age I think Al has missed his window to leave for the NBA or a factory. He will not retire until his girls are through BC. So the only way we are having a coaching change is if this season and next are bad.

2. The type of coach BC could get. Playing in the ACC provides a nice boost to any hiring, but we are not getting Bruce Pearl. We are not getting an established coach from a major program because we are a football school first, GDF won't offer enough independence and $$$. We are not matching a Tennessee type program on the money.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:38 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:You fire Al types need to get more real about two things:

1. The timetable of any coaching change. Because of age I think Al has missed his window to leave for the NBA or a factory. He will not retire until his girls are through BC. So the only way we are having a coaching change is if this season and next are bad.

2. The type of coach BC could get. Playing in the ACC provides a nice boost to any hiring, but we are not getting Bruce Pearl. We are not getting an established coach from a major program because we are a football school first, GDF won't offer enough independence and $$$. We are not matching a Tennessee type program on the money.

With regards to #2... I think it is sort of a mix. A 60-40 type of deal. Leaning more towards football. I think if a coach like Bruce Pearl were to be hired, more attention would be focused on BC especially because he brings in the big recruits. With two years of success (maybe 25+ wins over three years) we could be a basketball school. That''s my view anyway. Many of the people who actually attend or have attended BC may beg to differ...
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:59 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

With regards to #2... I think it is sort of a mix. A 60-40 type of deal. Leaning more towards football. I think if a coach like Bruce Pearl were to be hired, more attention would be focused on BC especially because he brings in the big recruits. With two years of success (maybe 25+ wins over three years) we could be a basketball school. That''s my view anyway. Many of the people who actually attend or have attended BC may beg to differ...

1. We're well on our way to one horrible season. I'm very afraid that after we get hammered against Duke on Wednesday Night, this team will just quit for the rest of the season. Also, you're going to bring back the same crew next season, which doesn't give me a ton of hope.

2. GDF is brutal for exactly that reason. It's much harder to take BC Football to elite status than BC Basketball, just as '25 mentioned in his last post. I just want to get someone in here with a different mentality. Someone who actually goes after recruits and plays aggressive basketball. BC Basketball has become extremely passive.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:12 am

GDF is the problem.

Spazoo and Skinner are just the symptoms.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby buconvict on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:38 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

FAXCIAL

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:32 am

I would like to nominate this thread for the Hall of Fame (whenever the EO Club members get off their lazy asses and build one) for the unintentional comedy that is posters believing that BC could ever hire Bruce Pearl.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I would like to nominate this thread for the Hall of Fame (whenever the EO Club members get off their lazy asses and build one) for the unintentional comedy that is posters believing that BC could ever hire Bruce Pearl.

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=10

I can understand it's hard to see past your own sense of self-worth, but we've had one for a while now.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Shredder on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:21 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I think that if Gene had to hire a new basketball coach, he'd bring a less-experienced up and comer where the money wouldn't be a lot but the coach would have an incentive to climb, as he did with hiring Jags and Crawley. While Spaz was hired in large part because of continuity and loyalty, a lot of it was probably due to the mess that was that situation with Jags being fired in January and after only two years. Had Jags left (or was fired) after a few years and earlier in the season, Gene probably would have brought in a similar rising coach. In addition, not many big names move around and when they do, they don't go to schools like BC.

It's amazing to see the man-crushing some of this board has for Bruce Pearl. He's not coming to BC. I don't think he has ever mentioned BC since the UWM game five years ago. Pearl is a good coach but he'll command a lot of money and brings baggage. The recent Tennessee stories are the least of it: Pearl had his own recruiting and ethical issues (such as the Thomas incident in Illinois). His UWM teams were filled with players that had criminal and academic problems.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:59 pm

I know nothing of Pearl's kids outside of listening to them speak and what is reported but let's not kid ourselves Skinner isn't exactly recruiting mensa scholars here either.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}: His UWM teams were filled with players that had criminal and academic problems.

Dunn
Raji
McClain
Sanders

Those are just off the top of my head, and none of those refer to academic problems.

Ravanel and many others if you want to include academic problems.

Let's not proclaim our players as Saints.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:13 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Shredder {l Wrote}: His UWM teams were filled with players that had criminal and academic problems.

Dunn
Raji
McClain
Sanders

Those are just off the top of my head, and none of those refer to academic problems.

Ravanel and many others if you want to include academic problems.

Let's not proclaim our players as Saints.

My recollection is that Dunn had a friend that got shot. Enlighten me on Raji and Sanders. I am well aware of the other two, plus Watson and Andrew Bryant.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby buconvict on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Courtney Dunn was shot in a drive-by.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMcG on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:49 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I know nothing of Pearl's kids outside of listening to them speak and what is reported but let's not kid ourselves Skinner isn't exactly recruiting mensa scholars here either.

Speaking of which, Noreen got a perfect score on his ACT (per the article linked on the ATL blog). :geek:
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum