If everyone is giving up on BC hoop....

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: If everyone is giving up on BC hoop....

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:24 pm

I agree with OJ. Fire everyone that doesn't win multiple national titles.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree with OJ. Fire everyone that doesn't win multiple national titles.

you have to get to the sweet 16 before you can win a national title.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:39 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree with OJ. Fire everyone that doesn't win multiple national titles.

I think its rather cute that you are negging me. Keep thinking it has some sort of effect.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

I know. Bruce Pearl told me that's been his biggest problem.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Al Skinner told me that Bruce Pearl has been to more sweet 16s in 4 years than Al has in 14.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:10 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Al Skinner told me that Bruce Pearl has been to more sweet 16s in 4 years than Al has in 14.

He's coached D-1 for 10 years.

At TN he has been a 2 seed twice and never reached the Elite Eight. His first 2 seed exited in the round of 32 Gene Keady style.

I am glad that Al is mediocre because he can only make the S16 once, while Bruce Pearl is teh awesome when he is 1-2 making the 16 with one of the top 8 teams in the country and has never taken one of those top 8 teams to the Elite 8.

Eagledom: "The Round of 32 is bad. The Sweet 16 is awesome. The Elite Eight doesn't matter."

So it is all about winning one more game for you? If BC beats G'Town and Al had two Sweet Sixteens in the past 5 years would that be enough? If he beats USC and has three S16 in the last 8 years is that enough? So two games determine his fate? But if he beat Nova and went to the Elite Eight that wouldn't matter because he doesn't go to the S16 enough?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

At TN he has been a 2 seed twice and never reached the Elite Eight. His first 2 seed exited in the round of 32 Gene Keady style.

I am glad that Al is mediocre because he can only make the S16 once, while Bruce Pearl is teh awesome when he is 1-2 making the 16 with one of the top 8 teams in the country and has never taken one of those top 8 teams to the Elite 8.

Eagledom: "The Round of 32 is bad. The Sweet 16 is awesome. The Elite Eight doesn't matter."

So it is all about winning one more game for you? If BC beats G'Town and Al had two Sweet Sixteens in the past 5 years would that be enough? If he beats USC and has three S16 in the last 8 years is that enough? So two games determine his fate? But if he beat Nova and went to the Elite Eight that wouldn't matter because he doesn't go to the S16 enough?

way too many "ifs" in that argument to make it worth addressing.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

You haven't addressed an argument in 2 years.

My question is simple: Since your focus is on the Sweet 16, is the reason you want Al fired because he has lost two games, USC in 01-02 and G'Town in 07-08? In other words, would three Sweet 16 appearances in 8 years be enough for you? Do you want to fire Al because he lost 2 games?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

You haven't addressed an argument in 2 years.

My question is simple: Since your focus is on the Sweet 16, is the reason you want Al fired because he has lost two games, USC in 01-02 and G'Town in 07-08? In other words, would three Sweet 16 appearances in 8 years be enough for you? Do you want to fire Al because he lost 2 games?

no. His NCAA performance, which is poor (I hope you aren't denying that by applying your "what-if scenarios") is just one of the reasons. Others include that he js a TERRIBLE motivator, an average recruiter, a poor in game coach, and that he has reached his peak as a coach. In my opinion, he has become far too comfortable with the status quo and has no desire whatsoever to take things a step further. The constant losses to lesser teams year in and year out highlight his weaknesses
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:36 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:... an average recruiter, a poor in game coach ...

A poor coach leading average recruits has more ACC wins than every team not named UNC or Duke since the league expanded to 12 teams ... how?
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:39 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

A poor coach leading average recruits has more ACC wins than every team not named UNC or Duke since the league expanded to 12 teams ... how?

Exactly. And with those two more wins he'd be a poor coach leading average recruits to 3 Sweet Sixteens and OJ would want him fired anyway.

This shit makes my day. Logging on to the hoop weirdo board gives me more laughs than anything since that last George Lopez special on HBO.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

Exactly. And with those two more wins he'd be a poor coach leading average recruits to 3 Sweet Sixteens and OJ would want him fired anyway.

This shit makes my day. Logging on to the hoop weirdo board gives me more laughs than anything since that last George Lopez special on HBO.

The problem is that even if Al leaves, there's no one to take his place. I have zero faith in Gene to make a smart hiring decision.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum