Your immediate reaction to the Maine loss

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

What is it?

Fire Al
50%
Change the starting line-up
5%
Nothing. Nobody will do anything. Just BC being BC. Al being Al.
45%

Total votes : 42

Your immediate reaction to the Maine loss

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Maybe it was the snow outside. Maine is used to snow and has the upper hand.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Re: Your immediate reaction to the Maine loss

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:16 pm

Write in vote: Maine is a good team.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 1981Eagle on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:16 pm

My immediate reaction is that I want everyone at EO to take the day off Monday and we go in as a group and do a Coup of Yawkey. We throw everyone out except York and Gallup and take the place over. I mean I am really angry at what I see happening to our athletics. Short of this, nothing will happen.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Posted my reaction in another thread:

BCMcG {l Wrote}:I have been a staunch supporter of Al for years. I think he's been great for BC. However, I think it might be time for him to gracefully step down at the end of the season. As a matter of personal pride, when you lose to Harvard two years in a row and lose to Maine, you're embarrassing yourself and the school. The only way to save face is to make the NCAA tournament and that is not going to happen because it will require BC to win the ACC.

I don't think anything will come of it. It'll be more of the same (empty Conte, decent but not great seasons) until Al retires in 5-10 years.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:23 pm

My immediate reaction is Rakim and Reggie may have twice the natural basketball talent Dudley has, but care and work 1/100th of what he did.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:24 pm

My immediate reaction was that I must have missed it when Joe Trapani transferred out of BC and some guy that can't play took his number.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:31 pm

I love how you put this on Trapani when Rakim didn't light it up either.

Trapani in 31 minutes FG: 7-18 (39%) 3FG: 3-9 (33%) 17 points
Rakim in 29 minutes FG: 3-10 (30%) 3FG: 2-6 (33%) 9 points
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby auggiebc on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:32 pm

My immediate reaction is that this loss is unacceptable. I was able to look past the Virgin Island losses, the Harvard loss, and the URI loss. I can't look past this one. There are no excuses considering the talent gap in the two teams and the dire necessity of a win today. And they still lost.

Al should be embarassed. The players should be embarassed. Unfortunately, the fans are probably the only ones embarassed b/c I don't think Al or the players care enough to be embarassed. If they cared, they wouldn't have lost today.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:34 pm

And trust me I know Trap has sucked this year but this wasn't him today.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Heights on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:34 pm

I don't think this is a news bulletin, this roster stinks. Rice carried these stiffs to the tourney last year on his back.

Sanders is a dog. He was a dog last year, he is back to his old tricks this year. He either falls asleep or he gets mad at Skinner (alot) or the players out there with him and he just stops playing. The last play on offense epitomizes his career. He goes baseline, gets blocked and then stops and puts his head down and stands still instead of fouling the Maine rebounder and saving a few seconds so BC gets the ball back with only 1.1 on the clock.

Even with all the lazy play, Skinner goes back to the starting lineup with 12:00 remaining and BC up a few points, exactly where the starters should put away Maine and they don't, good luck in the ACC. Your starters can't put Maine away?.

This pains me to say but even Reggie did not have his usual intensity, must be hanging around some of the other guys too much.

I still like Al as the coach, but these are not Al-type guys. Al has to answer for this one though.
Last edited by Heights on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We have everyone on our 2010 schedule but the New England Patriots"

Frank Spaziani
Heights
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I love how you put this on Trapani when Rakim didn't light it up either.

Trapani in 31 minutes FG: 7-18 (39%) 3FG: 3-9 (33%) 17 points
Rakim in 29 minutes FG: 3-10 (30%) 3FG: 2-6 (33%) 9 points

Trapani has been shooting poorly all season. His point have been all about volume. He made back to back threes to open the half to turn a downright horrible night into a just terrible night.

Sanders hasn't played most of the season, has been shooting well from 3, and had 25 the other night. He didn't play well today.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Their season depending on it wouldn't be enough. It would have to be their lives. Then maybe they'd try.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Heights {l Wrote}:I don't think this is a news bulletin, this roster stinks. Rice carried these stiffs to the tourney last year on his back.

Sanders is a dog. He was a dog last year, he is back to his old tricks this year. He either falls asleep or he gets mad at Skinner or the players out there with him and he just stops playing. The last play on offense epitomizes his career. He goes baseline, gets blocked and then stops and puts his head down and stands still instead of fouling the Maine rebounder and saving a few seconds so BC gets the ball back with only 1.1 on the clock.

Even with all the lazy play, Skinner goes back to the starting lineup with 12:00 remaining and BC up a few points, exactly where the starters should put away Maine and they don't, good luck in the ACC. Your starters can't put Maine away?.

This pains me to say but even Reggie did not have his usual intensity, must be hanging around some of the other guys too much.

I still like Al as the coach, but these are not Al-type guys. Al has to answer for this one though.

Sanders is a dog that saved the two games that got BC into the tournament last season. Christ, he had 25 the other night. And he missed three of the bad losses entirely. He had a bad night tonight. Talk to me about Trapani forgetting how to shoot, and where the FUCK was Raji today?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Heights {l Wrote}:I don't think this is a news bulletin, this roster stinks. Rice carried these stiffs to the tourney last year on his back.

Sanders is a dog. He was a dog last year, he is back to his old tricks this year. He either falls asleep or he gets mad at Skinner or the players out there with him and he just stops playing. The last play on offense epitomizes his career. He goes baseline, gets blocked and then stops and puts his head down and stands still instead of fouling the Maine rebounder and saving a few seconds so BC gets the ball back with only 1.1 on the clock.

Sanders is a dog that saved the two games that got BC into the tournament last season. Christ, he had 25 the other night. And he missed three of the bad losses entirely. He had a bad night tonight. Talk to me about Trapani forgetting how to shoot, and where the FUCK was Raji today?

sanders is a waste of talent. no heart. no character.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Heights on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:41 pm

I won't argue that, somethings going on with Raji, he's in Al's doghouse now and he's clearly not happy about it. He's been flat out benched the last two games.
"We have everyone on our 2010 schedule but the New England Patriots"

Frank Spaziani
Heights
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Heights {l Wrote}:I won't argue that, somethings going on with Raji, he's in Al's doghouse now and he's clearly not happy about it. He's been flat out benched the last two games.

He was on the floor for 32 minutes tonight. You just didn't notice.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ChipsAndSalsa on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Maine lost to 1-11 Norfolk State, providing their only win.
ChipsAndSalsa
n00b

Postby Shredder on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:12 pm

These junk losses have to be on the players. While Al does (or should) influence his players' intensity, eight of our players should be able to beat Maine, URI and Harvard without a coach. The team has shown that it can beat good teams. They just need to start playing them. I still think 10 ACC wins and a good showing in the conference tournament are attainable. At least eight ACC games are on the road and two home games are against Duke and UNC so there will be some crowd energy.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Reggie, Rakim and Raji were awful today. No effort whatsoever from any of them. we lost the game when we were up 8 with 6 mins left when Al took out Biko and put Reggie at point, and he immediately coughed it up a couple times. Trap didn't shoot well, but hell, he was basically all we had out there. Southern actually got some rebounds. Watching Rakim sulk reallly pisses me off. Raji was invisible. This team has no heart at all, none. It was an embarrasment out there today. I haven't missed a game all year, but Im not going on Tuesday. Won't support this crap.

Ive always been an Al supporter, but this was another awful effort. Couldn't come up with anything to deal with the zone. team came out of TO with no idea there was only 10 secs on shot clock and turned it over. couldnt draw anything up on last possession. can't motivate the guys. This has been a brutal season
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:These junk losses have to be on the players. While Al does (or should) influence his players' intensity, eight of our players should be able to beat Maine, URI and Harvard without a coach. The team has shown that it can beat good teams. They just need to start playing them. I still think 10 ACC wins and a good showing in the conference tournament are attainable. At least eight ACC games are on the road and two home games are against Duke and UNC so there will be some crowd energy.

I'd like to think we could beat Maine with '74 coaching the team. The problem is leadership. There's no leadership on the floor, the coahces provide absolutely no leadership, etc. If you think this team is going to win 10 games in the ACC you're nuts. After we get pasted by Clemson and Duke, the team will mail it in for the season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:28 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shredder {l Wrote}:These junk losses have to be on the players. While Al does (or should) influence his players' intensity, eight of our players should be able to beat Maine, URI and Harvard without a coach. The team has shown that it can beat good teams. They just need to start playing them. I still think 10 ACC wins and a good showing in the conference tournament are attainable. At least eight ACC games are on the road and two home games are against Duke and UNC so there will be some crowd energy.

I'd like to think we could beat Maine with '74 coaching the team. The problem is leadership. There's no leadership on the floor, the coahces provide absolutely no leadership, etc. If you think this team is going to win 10 games in the ACC you're nuts. After we get pasted by Clemson and Duke, the team will mail it in for the season.

yup, shame that this season is over before the 2nd week of January.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby uconnite on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:29 pm

my immediate reaction is that you suck
uconnite
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

yup, shame that this season is over before the 2nd week of January.

It sucks because my favorite sport at BC is actually basketball. Unfortunately, this team is headed down faster than the Titanic. :titanic
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby h2o on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:32 pm

My immediate reaction was good teams don't lose to the likes of St. Joe's, URI, or Maine. or Harvard. Even more egregious is they lost them at home. Al is Toby in a turtleneck.

My next reaction was will anybody show up for the NJ Tech game next week? Anybody on the team.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby Shredder on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If you think this team is going to win 10 games in the ACC you're nuts. After we get pasted by Clemson and Duke, the team will mail it in for the season.

Have you not followed BC basketball before? As frustrating as it is in the early goings, these stupid losses are not new. 2004-05 and 2005-05 were great starts but that team of Louis, Craig and Dudley is gone. Now we're stuck with this Jekyll and Hyde team until something shakes up. Even the 20-straight win opening to 2004 had overtime wins over Holy Cross and Yale.

2006-07: losses to Providence, Vermont and Duquesne
2008-09: SLU, Harvard (followed by three straight ACC losses; two at home)

After we get off to a good start in the ACC, you'll still be in Fire Al mode because the Maine-RI-Harvard losses outweigh beating conference opponents and will cost us tournament time.

I am concerned with the team's lack of a reliable post player because Southern is out of the starting lineup (and may very well be labeled a bust at this point) and Dunn and Ravenel have been non-factors so far. Trapani is a good enough scorer but is not a center or power forward who can muscle is way inside.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If you think this team is going to win 10 games in the ACC you're nuts. After we get pasted by Clemson and Duke, the team will mail it in for the season.

Have you not followed BC basketball before? As frustrating as it is in the early goings, these stupid losses are not new. 2004-05 and 2005-05 were great starts but that team of Louis, Craig and Dudley is gone. Now we're stuck with this Jekyll and Hyde team until something shakes up. Even the 20-straight win opening to 2004 had overtime wins over Holy Cross and Yale.

2006-07: losses to Providence, Vermont and Duquesne
2008-09: SLU, Harvard (followed by three straight ACC losses; two at home)

After we get off to a good start in the ACC, you'll still be in Fire Al mode because the Maine-RI-Harvard losses outweigh beating conference opponents and will cost us tournament time.

I am concerned with the team's lack of a reliable post player because Southern is out of the starting lineup (and may very well be labeled a bust at this point) and Dunn and Ravenel have been non-factors so far. Trapani is a good enough scorer but is not a center or power forward who can muscle is way inside.

You don't need a good post-player to be Maine. The fault goes to Al partially because he's supposed to be the leader. The rest of it goes to the players who play some of the most uninspired basketball to ever grace the NCAA. It's very hard to get behind a team who jogs around and shows no energy or heart. This team is pathetic, they're everything BC doesn't stand for.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Heights {l Wrote}:I won't argue that, somethings going on with Raji, he's in Al's doghouse now and he's clearly not happy about it. He's been flat out benched the last two games.

Al doesn't have a "doghouse." He has a Horse Barn. Apparently he stores his teeth, certain players, and accumulated timouts in there.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby RyanBC on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:26 pm

uconnite {l Wrote}:my immediate reaction is that you suck

Yukon sucks, worst school ever. go die .
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:26 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

Al doesn't have a "doghouse." He has a Horse Barn. Apparently he stores his teeth, certain players, and accumulated timouts in there.

I hope it's the same place they put Adam James and Al gets fired because of it.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby RyanBC on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:28 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

I hope it's the same place they put Adam James and Al gets fired because of it.

that was actually funny kind of. Adam James sucks.
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum