Brady Heslip

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Brady Heslip

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Shooting percentage is only valuable if you shoot enough to make a difference. And epstein, I focused on shooting because it is the only on court skill where Roche could be valuable, not because I was assuming he was valuable elsewhere.

Ok fine I can see that point. Then just tell me what your eyes tell you when he's on the court. He's not an ACC basketball player. Against a team like Clemson, unless he's absolutely on fire shooting, he's a huge liability on both ends of the floor.

You aren't arguing with me. As this thread makes evident, I think Roche is terrible.

No worries I know we both feel the same way about Roche. That comment was intended towards BigNick. Roche is awful.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Shooting percentage is only valuable if you shoot enough to make a difference. And epstein, I focused on shooting because it is the only on court skill where Roche could be valuable, not because I was assuming he was valuable elsewhere.

Well, he's taking roughly 5.5 shots per game...which ads up to about 11 shots per 40 minutes. So, the characterization that he isn't shooting isn't exactly accurate. We'll see how he does in ACC play. I certainly think he can contribute more offensively than Elmore, whom it was suggested would take his minutes. Scoring, more than anything, is what this team needs off the bench, especially when Paris is out of the game.

If you want to make a sig-bet, how about this: Roche will score more points per minute played in ACC play than Elmore.

Elmore has already started taking his minutes.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Roche's back.

It also has something to do with the fact that Elmore plays defense.

+1. Roche sucks at everything. At least Elmore is good at defense. He did a good job on Downey against South Carolina at least.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Well, he's taking roughly 5.5 shots per game...which ads up to about 11 shots per 40 minutes. So, the characterization that he isn't shooting isn't exactly accurate. We'll see how he does in ACC play. I certainly think he can contribute more offensively than Elmore, whom it was suggested would take his minutes. Scoring, more than anything, is what this team needs off the bench, especially when Paris is out of the game.

If you want to make a sig-bet, how about this: Roche will score more points per minute played in ACC play than Elmore.

Elmore has already started taking his minutes.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Roche's back.

It also has something to do with the fact that Elmore plays defense.

Roche had some stretches last year where he was giving valuable defensive minutes mostly based on hustle.

This new fad of saying Elmore is a sick defender is funny. I've watched him leave his feet on pump fake after pump fake in more than a couple games. I think he's decent, but has a long way to go.

They are also not always in the same position - Elmore plays some 2 and Roche plays some 4 (sadly enough).
Last edited by pick6pedro on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:With the exception of one game in 4 years he has yet to have one of those hot streaks where in 15-20 minutes of time he hits like 3-5 threes.

Translation: Roche is the Jet Smith of the hoops squad. At the very least he's the Horace Dodd.

Except Jeff Smith did it against a real football team with two of the faster players in college football history on the field.

OK, Horace Dodd then. A practice champion!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:23 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:This new fad of saying Elmore is a sick defender is funny. I've watched him leave his feet on pump fake after pump fake in more than a couple games. I think he's decent, but has a long way to go.

I agree with you. Don't get me wrong--he's a very solid defender--but I think it has to do with the fact that he works extremely hard on defense, as much so as anyone on the team. That's a big part of the battle, but it doesn't necessarily make him a lock-down defender, which he isn't.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:This new fad of saying Elmore is a sick defender is funny. I've watched him leave his feet on pump fake after pump fake in more than a couple games. I think he's decent, but has a long way to go.

I agree with you. Don't get me wrong--he's a very solid defender--but I think it has to do with the fact that he works extremely hard on defense, as much so as anyone on the team. That's a big part of the battle, but it doesn't necessarily make him a lock-down defender, which he isn't.

His hustle is refreshing, and I expect him to make more contributions on the defensive side as he gets more minutes and the year goes on. He may be one of only a couple guys who keep hustling if the tailspin occurs.

Stat of the day: 29% (99) of Roche's career (345) points were scored in 6 games: USC Upstate, Sacred Heart, Dartmouth, St. Francis, Mercer, and Hartford.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:32 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:With the exception of one game in 4 years he has yet to have one of those hot streaks where in 15-20 minutes of time he hits like 3-5 threes.

Translation: Roche is the Jet Smith of the hoops squad. At the very least he's the Horace Dodd.

Except Jeff Smith did it against a real football team with two of the faster players in college football history on the field.

OK, Horace Dodd then. A practice champion!

don't let addict hear you talk like that. He will think you are questioning his sources.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:05 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

His hustle is refreshing, and I expect him to make more contributions on the defensive side as he gets more minutes and the year goes on. He may be one of only a couple guys who keep hustling if the tailspin occurs.

Stat of the day: 29% (99) of Roche's career (345) points were scored in 6 games: USC Upstate, Sacred Heart, Dartmouth, St. Francis, Mercer, and Hartford.

In other words, he sucks against good competition. Please let him ride the pine tomorrow Al.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum