Brady Heslip

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Brady Heslip

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:27 am

Sorry if it was posted elsewhere, but in case it wasn't.....Brady dressed and warmed up last night and is listed on the 09/10 roster on the web-site. And someone mentioned that in Al's pre-game comments it seemed like they are leaning toward playing him this season.

It's hard to see him breaking into the lineup. Whose minutes does he get? Surely not Biko or Reggie. And he's about a foot shorter than Roche and Dallas with no apparent hops and zero ACC experience (compared to 4 years of experience for Tyler).....

I don't understand the rush....but I'll give Al and the staff the benefit of doubt (and be slammed for doing so on this board).
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Re: Brady Heslip

Postby BC923 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 am

If he can be used, great, if not let him sit, have a redshirt year and go into next year (with everyone but Roche returning) and be able to contribute well. Next year will be better than this one and if Brady has some time with the team beforehand then that can only help us out.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:31 am

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:Sorry if it was posted elsewhere, but in case it wasn't.....Brady dressed and warmed up last night and is listed on the 09/10 roster on the web-site. And someone mentioned that in Al's pre-game comments it seemed like they are leaning toward playing him this season.

It's hard to see him breaking into the lineup. Whose minutes does he get? Surely not Biko or Reggie. And he's about a foot shorter than Roche and Dallas with no apparent hops and zero ACC experience (compared to 4 years of experience for Tyler).....

I don't understand the rush....but I'll give Al and the staff the benefit of doubt (and be slammed for doing so on this board).

He's a guard, and they only have two. So he can spell Biko and Reggie. He also can shoot the lights out, which distinguishes him from Roche. If Roche were 6 inches shorter, a guard, and could handle, he'd be a valuable player. He'd also be Brady Heslip.

They can use the kid. I'd like to see if the deep threat could help this team right now. Sanders is starting to heat up, but they haven't really had a deep threat.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:53 am

Hope you're right re: the lights out shooting deep threat. But that's how Roche was billed too....

Here's my fear: the kid enters the fray (maybe in the next two games against Maine and NJIT?) under tough circumstances. It's mid-season and the WTF margin for error has been whittled to zero if the team wants to make the tourney so it's a bit of a pressure cooker. Players #6-9 are jostling for minutes after a mid-season lineup change and they are a relatively tight crew. The staff, players and fans all want to see if Heslip can be "the deep threat." Every shot, therefore, is watched with the same intensity that we watched every one of Roche's shots over the last four years. He wilts under the pressure. Misses lead to more pressure and more misses. We turn a good player into a 4 year head case, trial of perseverance experiment a' la Tyler. For comfort he bonds with Mosakowski and Rehnquist and morphs into a really good walk-on......

Please prove my fears baseless, Brady. Play with abandon. Play with joy. Don't worry about making an impact. Just do it. Play like the fearless Maple Leaf that you are!
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:58 am

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:Hope you're right re: the lights out shooting deep threat. But that's how Roche was billed too....

Here's my fear: the kid enters the fray (maybe in the next two games against Maine and NJIT?) under tough circumstances. It's mid-season and the WTF margin for error has been whittled to zero if the team wants to make the tourney so it's a bit of a pressure cooker. Players #6-9 are jostling for minutes after a mid-season lineup change and they are a relatively tight crew. The staff, players and fans all want to see if Heslip can be "the deep threat." Every shot, therefore, is watched with the same intensity that we watched every one of Roche's shots over the last four years. He wilts under the pressure. Misses lead to more pressure and more misses. We turn a good player into a 4 year head case, trial of perseverance experiment a' la Tyler. For comfort he bonds with Mosakowski and Rehnquist and morphs into a really good walk-on......

Please prove my fears baseless, Brady. Play with abandon. Play with joy. Don't worry about making an impact. Just do it. Play like the fearless Maple Leaf that you are!

Brady is a combo guard though, not a 6'7'' 165 lbs power forward. He brings something to the table other than shooting. Roche can contribute a little now, after 3 years, on defense and the boards, but he is a limited player.

Also, Heslip gets rave reviews about his shooting, and I have heard comparisons to Reddick. We heard that Roche was shooting the lights out, at practice, from bcaddict and his sources. Recruiting services didn't know much about Roche. But just read the writeup on ESPN about Heslip.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:06 am

I really don't think Heslip plays unless Jackson or Paris get hurt. He's a nice insurance policy to have, which is why Al probably wants him ready...just in case.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby RyanBC on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:Sorry if it was posted elsewhere, but in case it wasn't.....Brady dressed and warmed up last night and is listed on the 09/10 roster on the web-site. And someone mentioned that in Al's pre-game comments it seemed like they are leaning toward playing him this season.

He's a guard, and they only have two. So he can spell Biko and Reggie. He also can shoot the lights out, which distinguishes him from Roche. If Roche were 6 inches shorter, a guard, and could handle, he'd be a valuable player. He'd also be Brady Heslip.

They can use the kid. I'd like to see if the deep threat could help this team right now. Sanders is starting to heat up, but they haven't really had a deep threat.

Agree. Just play the kid if he's good.
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Postby auggiebc on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:58 pm

from and interview he did back in May. Love the confidence. give this kid a jersey. He is Jimmy Chitwood.

Q) How would you describe your game?

Heslip: I’m a combo guard, I like to bring it up, I like to come off ball-screens. Obviously I like to shoot from anywhere on the court. I have no conscience. If I miss 10 in a row, I’m still shooting the 11th one. Other than that I think I have a high basketball IQ. I make smart plays and smart decisions.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby atljack on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:43 pm

Cool it guys. Brady himself stated that he is being redshirted ( of course that could change...injuries, etc. ). Google his name & a Tweet next to his name will come up below. He seems to have a great attitude.
atljack
n00b

Postby bignick33 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:44 pm

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bcaddict on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:Hope you're right re: the lights out shooting deep threat. But that's how Roche was billed too....

Brady is a combo guard though, not a 6'7'' 165 lbs power forward. He brings something to the table other than shooting. Roche can contribute a little now, after 3 years, on defense and the boards, but he is a limited player.

Also, Heslip gets rave reviews about his shooting, and I have heard comparisons to Reddick. We heard that Roche was shooting the lights out, at practice, from bcaddict and his sources. Recruiting services didn't know much about Roche. But just read the writeup on ESPN about Heslip.

I'm not going to sit here and defend SOURCES for fear of sounding like bceagles24; so I'll let others be the judge of the bball content that I've provided over the years. You want to mock it, go ahead. Couldn't care less.

But you were right about Roche ever since his freshman year: Tyler would never play in the ACC and wouldn't last in the lineup and was an AE transfer in the waiting. That's turned out well for you. Meanwhile, shooting 43% from three this year also suggests that he can't shoot and that any talk about him being a much better practice shooter was way off base.

As for Heslip, he's got a LOT of things that this team is currently missing (perimeter shooting following the regression of Trapani/Jackson/Paris in that regard). But he's pretty much for sure redshirtingl-but much depends on how the rest of the team responds to their own individual shooting woes (last night was a welcome sight in this regard).
Last edited by bcaddict on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:53 pm

Good. Thank God he's redshirting. By the time next year rolls around he will be a key player in a possible Elite Eight type season, maybe better. That whole class can contribute off the bench and be ready for their sophomore year.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:56 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:But he's pretty much for sure redshirtingl-but much depends on how the rest of the team responds to their own individual shooting woes (last night was a welcome sight in this regard).

Also depends on how he practices.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:02 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'm not going to sit here and defend SOURCES for fear of sounding like bceagles24; so I'll let others be the judge of the bball content that I've provided over the years. You want to mock it, go ahead. Couldn't care less.

But you were right about Roche ever since his freshman year: Tyler would never play in the ACC and wouldn't last in the lineup and was an AE transfer in the waiting. That's turned out well for you. Meanwhile, shooting 43% from three this year also suggests that he can't shoot and that any talk about him being a much better practice shooter was way off base.

As for Heslip, he's got a LOT of things that this team is currently missing (perimeter shooting following the regression of Trapani/Jackson/Paris in that regard). But he's pretty much for sure redshirtingl-but much depends on how the rest of the team responds to their own individual shooting woes (last night was a welcome sight in this regard).

You can defend Roche's "contributions" all you want. The guy is at best an America east level player. And he is a mediocre shooter, although he is certainly showing that he has improved to average over 4 years. He is a liability on defense, can't rebound at the 4, and is too slow to play or defend the 3 in the ACC. He may shoot 43%, but half of his shots were in the first two games, and he is slowly fading out of the rotation as Elmore shows the talent. When Trapani gets his shit together, Roche will be a spot substitute. After 4 years.

Just because he was smart enough to stay at BC and get an education instead of transferring to a school where he would have been effective doesn't mean that he shouldn't have done so.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:25 am

bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

:81 You like doing this don't you. You would think that you would have something better to do than try and call me out everytime you get the chance. It really is pretty pathetic.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby bcaddict on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You can defend Roche's "contributions" all you want. The guy is at best an America east level player. And he is a mediocre shooter, although he is certainly showing that he has improved to average over 4 years. He is a liability on defense, can't rebound at the 4, and is too slow to play or defend the 3 in the ACC. He may shoot 43%, but half of his shots were in the first two games, and he is slowly fading out of the rotation as Elmore shows the talent. When Trapani gets his shit together, Roche will be a spot substitute. After 4 years.

Just because he was smart enough to stay at BC and get an education instead of transferring to a school where he would have been effective doesn't mean that he shouldn't have done so.

Pretend that you were right about Roche all along all you want. But the fact remains, he's a pretty good perimeter shooter and plays a 10-15 minute role, which is exactly what I said he would be from the moment he stepped on campus. And, most importantly, he's the only upperclass leader on the team. Could BC improve upon him? Of course. Could he play a much larger role in a bullshit AE conference? Of course. But that's not what our argument was about. I'm not, nor ever have been, a Roche lover, but we're (and he, himself is) better off that he didn't transfer during/after his freshman year as you (and others) proposed and predicted. But hey, according to you Joe Trapani was going to suck as well, despite how well he was performing IN PRACTICE during his year sitting out. So let's temper the backpatting, TW and criticisms of other's insights.

What ails this team has nothing to do with Tyler Roche. In fact, if you knew anything about what has been going on behind closed doors with this basketball team in the last week, you'd have a ton more respect for Tyler Roche's contribution to this team than you currently do. Tyler Roche actually gives a shit about this team in every game that he plays and attempts to maximize his abilities in every minute that he's on the court. Unfortunately, certain players with FAR more talent than he has refuse to do the same.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:59 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Pretend that you were right about Roche all along all you want. But the fact remains, he's a pretty good perimeter shooter and plays a 10-15 minute role, which is exactly what I said he would be from the moment he stepped on campus. And, most importantly, he's the only upperclass leader on the team. Could BC improve upon him? Of course. Could he play a much larger role in a bullshit AE conference? Of course. But that's not what our argument was about. I'm not, nor ever have been, a Roche lover, but we're (and he, himself is) better off that he didn't transfer during/after his freshman year as you (and others) proposed and predicted. But hey, according to you Joe Trapani was going to suck as well, despite how well he was performing IN PRACTICE during his year sitting out. So let's temper the backpatting, TW and criticisms of other's insights.

What ails this team has nothing to do with Tyler Roche. In fact, if you knew anything about what has been going on behind closed doors with this basketball team in the last week, you'd have a ton more respect for Tyler Roche's contribution to this team than you currently do. Tyler Roche actually gives a shit about this team in every game that he plays and attempts to maximize his abilities in every minute that he's on the court. Unfortunately, certain players with FAR more talent than he has refuse to do the same.

Agreed. Roche has been our most consistent bench player this year by far, both offensively and defensively. Whether that makes him an AE starter or an ACC bench player or whatever is playing with words. We'd be in much better shape if our other bench players could consistently make the same types of contributions (not to mention Roche played exceptionally well when he was asked to start).
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:28 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No one said Roche is what ails the team. He stinks too much to be on the court enough to make a damn bit of difference. What ails the team lies solely with the Division I players. Fact is, the guy barely plays, and he shouldn't even be playing those minutes.

And Trapani does suck right now. His shooting fucking blows and he better get his act together. Besides, I never said Trapani couldn't play at BC - in fact I said he was what Roche would be if he could play basketball. I just scoffed at the idea that Trapani would ever be the go-to guy (like everyone else said) - he is what he is, a nice 2nd or third option. We've seen what happens when he tries to step up and be the man.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcaddict on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No one said Roche is what ails the team. He stinks too much to be on the court enough to make a damn bit of difference. What ails the team lies solely with the Division I players. Fact is, the guy barely plays, and he shouldn't even be playing those minutes.

And Trapani does suck right now. His shooting fucking blows and he better get his act together. Besides, I never said Trapani couldn't play at BC - in fact I said he was what Roche would be if he could play basketball. I just scoffed at the idea that Trapani would ever be the go-to guy (like everyone else said) - he is what he is, a nice 2nd or third option. We've seen what happens when he tries to step up and be the man.

Roche plays the exact amount that I said he would. He didn't transfer and he's a valuable role player whether you want to admit it or not. And he's one of the very few leaders on this team. Minimize that all you want, but that's a MAJOR issue plaguing this team right now. I'm glad he didn't transfer to Albany.

Trapani absolutely stinks right now, but if you're suggesting that you predicted that he would be the 2nd option on this team, you're doing a helluva job of revisionist history, b/c that's certainly not what you were saying. I said the guy would be the #2/#3 scoring option at BC, that he could play the four (another point you disputed) and that he was far more athletic and physical than you or any other message board hero would admit. While practicing with his team during the year off, I told you all of this (tho, according to you, I make up my "sources"). Either way, Trapani is a much better player than he's displayed these last few weeks and he's much better than the guy you thought he'd be. But twist this any way you like.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby RyanBC on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:44 pm

why not Biko's it is my opinion that Biko has been horrible this year.
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 pm

RyanBC {l Wrote}:

Well, for one, he is our only point guard (and the offense has been turrible when he's out of the game, as a result of there being no point guard).
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Biko isn't "terrible." He's still in development. He is still fitting into his role as "leader." That part may be BS, but I don't believe he's even a bad point guard. I don't know his exact numbers so forgive me if I sound [more] uneducated [than usual], but anyone handling the ball the whole game is bound to cause a few TO's.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Biko isn't "terrible." He's still in development. He is still fitting into his role as "leader." That part may be BS, but I don't believe he's even a bad point guard. I don't know his exact numbers so forgive me if I sound [more] uneducated [than usual], but anyone handling the ball the whole game is bound to cause a few TO's.

Agreed. He's been a very solid facilitator.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby RyanBC on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:44 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
RyanBC {l Wrote}:

Well, for one, he is our only point guard (and the offense has been turrible when he's out of the game, as a result of there being no point guard).

well he wouldn't be our only point guard if heslip was active.
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:02 am

RyanBC {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
RyanBC {l Wrote}:

Reading comprehension. The point is that he far from horrible.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 am

bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Roche plays the exact amount that I said he would. He didn't transfer and he's a valuable role player whether you want to admit it or not. And he's one of the very few leaders on this team. Minimize that all you want, but that's a MAJOR issue plaguing this team right now. I'm glad he didn't transfer to Albany.

Trapani absolutely stinks right now, but if you're suggesting that you predicted that he would be the 2nd option on this team, you're doing a helluva job of revisionist history, b/c that's certainly not what you were saying. I said the guy would be the #2/#3 scoring option at BC, that he could play the four (another point you disputed) and that he was far more athletic and physical than you or any other message board hero would admit. While practicing with his team during the year off, I told you all of this (tho, according to you, I make up my "sources"). Either way, Trapani is a much better player than he's displayed these last few weeks and he's much better than the guy you thought he'd be. But twist this any way you like.

As an Albany fan, I am fucking thanking my lucky stars that Roche did not transfer there. So I guess we agree.

I predicted Trapani would be the #2 option when Rice left. Period. Which is what he should be, if he didn't fucking blow at basketball for the past 2 months. But I am sure he looks fucking awesome in practice.

Have a good night, Mo Cassera.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:09 am

And while we are at it, addict, Trapani is fucking an embarassment defending 4s in the ACC. He is a three. Raji belongs on the bench.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby RyanBC on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:16 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
RyanBC {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
RyanBC {l Wrote}:

Reading comprehension. The point is that he far from horrible.

that's weird i thought he wrote that "he is our only point guard".
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Postby RyanBC on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:16 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

As an Albany fan, I am fucking thanking my lucky stars that Roche did not transfer there. So I guess we agree.

I predicted Trapani would be the #2 option when Rice left. Period. Which is what he should be, if he didn't fucking blow at basketball for the past 2 months. But I am sure he looks fucking awesome in practice.

Have a good night, Mo Cassera.

albany fan??? what is an albany?
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:49 am

Albany used to have a AHL team named the River Rats.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum