All Decade First and Second Teams?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

All Decade First and Second Teams?

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:14 pm

You knew this was coming. It's probably been done. Here. In the past week.

Mine:

C **** ********
PF Craig Smith
SF Jared Dudley
SG Troy Bell
PG Louis Hinnant
6th Man- Tyrese Rice

Others to consider:

Uka Agbai, Sean Marshall, Rakim Sanders, Joe Trapani, Corey Raji, Reggie Jackson, Ryan Sidney

Didn't make a second team due to my not being around long enough to see the pre-2005 years. So if something is crazy on there, bear with me.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Re: All Decade First and Second Teams?

Postby EaglesTalon on Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:45 pm

I was told by Red Sox fans that the decade ends next year.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:48 pm

No John Oates or Tyler Roche? :gun
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:45 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:You knew this was coming. It's probably been done. Here. In the past week.

Mine:

C **** ********
PF Craig Smith
SF Jared Dudley
SG Troy Bell
PG Louis Hinnant
6th Man- Tyrese Rice

If your intent, like most all-whatever teams, is to list the best players by position, then Rice is in the starting line-up instead of Hinnant.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:23 am

Agbai over Williams and Rice over Hinnant.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:26 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Agbai over Williams and Rice over Hinnant.

You have an argument for the second one. The first is crazy. Agbai was a poor man's Evan Ravenel playing in a watered down Big East.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:29 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Agbai over Williams and Rice over Hinnant.

Agbai over Williams? Jesus, ATL - seriously?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:31 am

I really want to pick someone over ****, but I just can't find somebody on his level. What a disgrace. Dudley deserves everything he gets. That clown deserves nothing.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:33 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I really want to pick someone over ****, but I just can't find somebody on his level. What a disgrace. Dudley deserves everything he gets. That clown deserves nothing.

Agreed on all counts. Agbai certainly ain't it. Nate Doornekamp?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:34 am

And I really like the future of Reggie Jackson, but I can't put him on an all decade team or even honorable mention solely based on last year and a little of this year.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Heights on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:10 pm

Rice over Hinnant please with Sidney coming off the bench. I agree with having *** ******* in there, we'll never see anything like that guy on the court again ever. Never seen anything like it at any level, not just at BC basketball. Jaw-dropping stuff every game. BC fans who did not get to see him in person really missed something special. Completely out to lunch mentally, but he was the most fun to watch BC player since Bagley.

Special award needed for Doornenkamp, not a great player but probably the most underappreciated career I've seen at BC in the decade at least. He started every single game for 4 years and was consistently tough and effective night in night out despite hundreds of nitwit fans (at home) shouting "No!" every time he even glanced at the rim with the ball in his hands.
"We have everyone on our 2010 schedule but the New England Patriots"

Frank Spaziani
Heights
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:52 pm

Heights {l Wrote}:Rice over Hinnant please with Sidney coming off the bench. I agree with having *** ******* in there, we'll never see anything like that guy on the court again ever. Never seen anything like it at any level, not just at BC basketball. Jaw-dropping stuff every game. BC fans who did not get to see him in person really missed something special. Completely out to lunch mentally, but he was the most fun to watch BC player since Bagley.

Special award needed for Doornenkamp, not a great player but probably the most underappreciated career I've seen at BC in the decade at least. He started every single game for 4 years and was consistently tough and effective night in night out despite hundreds of nitwit fans (at home) shouting "No!" every time he even glanced at the rim with the ball in his hands.

Agree with all of this. Good stuff. Except I would take Hinnant over Ballhog a thousand times and twice on Sunday.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Heights {l Wrote}:Rice over Hinnant please with Sidney coming off the bench. I agree with having *** ******* in there, we'll never see anything like that guy on the court again ever. Never seen anything like it at any level, not just at BC basketball. Jaw-dropping stuff every game. BC fans who did not get to see him in person really missed something special. Completely out to lunch mentally, but he was the most fun to watch BC player since Bagley.

Agree with all of this. Good stuff. Except I would take Hinnant over Ballhog a thousand times and twice on Sunday.

Correct. I'd take Hinnant as a pointguard over Rice and nobody could convince me otherwise.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:25 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Correct. I'd take Hinnant as a pointguard over Rice and nobody could convince me otherwise.

I agree Hinnant was a better point guard. But Rice was a better basketball player.

What, no love for this stud?

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:42 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree Hinnant was a better point guard. But Rice was a better basketball player.

After I saw Tyrese mail it in last year in the second half against USC, I'd have to go with Hinnant also.

What, no love for this stud?

eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby screagle on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:09 pm

jermaine was huge off the bench for us. i think he deserves (but perhaps doesn't earn) sixth man consideration.

as for the doornekamp lovefest... he was a decent passer in the flex, but very frustrating to watch. i still think oates schools him in a game of one-on-one. nasty nate did chew on his mouth guard with surprisingly nice touch, though... most notably at the free throw line.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:10 pm

screagle {l Wrote}:as for the doornekamp lovefest... he was a decent passer in the flex, but very frustrating to watch. i still think oates schools him in a game of one-on-one. nasty nate did chew on his mouth guard with surprisingly nice touch, though... most notably at the free throw line.

I think Doorney made less dumb mistakes than Oates. However, Oates did remind me to water proof my deck every time he opened his mouth.

It's a toss up.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Chicken Patties on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:43 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:I was told by Red Sox fans that the decade ends next year.

:kudos
Chicken Patties
Carney Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:11 pm

I think the dunk against Duke in the ACC Championship Game forever changed everyone's opinion of Hinnant. For 95% of his career, Hinnant was the epitome of blah.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eaglechevy on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:47 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:I think the dunk against Duke in the ACC Championship Game forever changed everyone's opinion of Hinnant. For 95% of his career, Hinnant was the epitome of blah.

Well said. Anyone have video of that? Other than a few **** ******** blocks i dont think any bc hoops moment has ever caused me to jump higher out of my seat.

The man, the myth, now get me another Corona!
eaglechevy
Emeritus

Postby shockdoct on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:27 pm

eaglechevy {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:I think the dunk against Duke in the ACC Championship Game forever changed everyone's opinion of Hinnant. For 95% of his career, Hinnant was the epitome of blah.

Well said. Anyone have video of that? Other than a few **** ******** blocks i dont think any bc hoops moment has ever caused me to jump higher out of my seat.

I want to say that clip is in one of the youtube videos on the main board.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby Baltimore Eagle on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:57 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:You knew this was coming. It's probably been done. Here. In the past week.

Mine:

C **** ********
PF Craig Smith
SF Jared Dudley
SG Troy Bell
PG Louis Hinnant
6th Man- Tyrese Rice

Others to consider:

Uka Agbai, Sean Marshall, Rakim Sanders, Joe Trapani, Corey Raji, Reggie Jackson, Ryan Sidney

Didn't make a second team due to my not being around long enough to see the pre-2005 years. So if something is crazy on there, bear with me.

I agree w/ those that say Rice over Hinnant. But if we're gonna nit pick wasn't Bell almost exclusively a PG? I realize the best team of the decade would have him at 2, but if he's not the SG who is?
Baltimore Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:28 am

Baltimore Eagle {l Wrote}:

Mine:

C **** ********
PF Craig Smith
SF Jared Dudley
SG Troy Bell
PG Louis Hinnant
6th Man- Tyrese Rice

Others to consider:

I agree w/ those that say Rice over Hinnant. But if we're gonna nit pick wasn't Bell almost exclusively a PG? I realize the best team of the decade would have him at 2, but if he's not the SG who is?

I suppose if you are picking the best players, its Rice and Bell in the backcourt. If you are picking the best team, that would be a team of guys that can't dribble. The best team this decade would have to have Hinnant at the point.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:03 am

Hinnant was a very average ball handler, very vanilla. He was good at protecting the ball though.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:05 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:Hinnant was a very average ball handler, very vanilla. He was good at protecting the ball though.

Being very average makes him a ton better than Rice or Bell at taking care of the rock. That's all I am saying. It's like the difference between Biko and Reggie now. Reggie is the better player by a long shot, but Biko is necessary.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:Hinnant was a very average ball handler, very vanilla. He was good at protecting the ball though.

Being very average makes him a ton better than Rice or Bell at taking care of the rock. That's all I am saying. It's like the difference between Biko and Reggie now. Reggie is the better player by a long shot, but Biko is necessary.

Agreed. But I always approached these All-Decade teams as just listing the best overall player, which would be Rice by a decent margin. In reality, a Rice/Bell backcourt wouldn't have worked well since both players need the ball in their hands.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 pm

eaglechevy {l Wrote}:

I did that a couple of times to last nights game. Joe Trapani and Reggie Jackson had a dunk contest during the SC game.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Return to Conte Forum