Chicken or Egg

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

chicken or the egg

BC plays down to the level of competition because BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage
36%
BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage because the team plays down to the level of competition
64%

Total votes : 25

Re: Chicken or Egg

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:50 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:A major reason students don't show up is because some don't feel its worth the $350 for football basketball and hockey tickets. Not many students are as devoted as the people are on this board- And $350 is a major expense for college students.

Not that everyone has this option, but all it takes is a quick check mark for the bill to go to mommy and daddy. Plenty of kids who could don't bother to take the time to check that box. And if they do check the box, they don't bother walking 200 yards to the games.

Newsflash pedro: For some, 50K a year is enough. Mommy and daddy don't like when you send them unnecessary fees. I don't know any kids who go to games and have their parents pay for them.

Guess you missed the first 6 words of my post. I highlighted them for your convenience. And didn't I say many of the ones that do check the box don't bother going to the games, hence you don't know anyone who goes to the games that has their parents pay? Pop quiz: if you don't know them, do they not exist?

1. So you really think there are a ton of kids who have their parents buy tickets for them and don't go to the game anyways? Are you a student, and if not, how many students do you know of that do this? Even if you are a student, how many of your friends do this?
2. Obviously I don't know every student that goes to the game, but I know a good amount of kids from different regions of the country with different income levels. No self-respecting college kid wants to ask his parents to buy tickets to sporting events and none I know of do. You aren't 10 years old anymore.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:55 am

If you were blessed and proud to make a Division 1-A basketball team and get minutes and Conte Forum had not one fan present, would you hustle, dive for loose balls and give it your best as a competitor?

Most of you guys continually miss the point. I am turning very mean in my old age.

1--Aloof Barcolounger Skinner is a poor to mediocre coach and BC regressed badly when the other two assistans left. I am not drinking the Kool-Aid and the rest since Dudley left, or the other Coaches. Al is a mediocre Coach at best, even with good teams.

2--Can even the worst sports fan alive, or anyone, or someone explain how smart kids who have played hoops all their lives can have 3 straight turnovers after 3 straight timeouts, with Aloof standing there with a chalkboard diagramming the play, then you can ascend into heaven and become one of the Holy Trinity.

I never saw anything like that in my life except the time the Knicks scored 19 straight last agme and minute points and Walf Frazier made a bushel of steals and the Knicks beat Milwaukee???

This team has serious intensity issues on defense and Biko can't drill the outside jumper.

It will be interesting to see if this team rebounds, (excuse me bad choice of words since we have't learn to box out yet), and steps up.

At this rate, they might go 6-10 in the ACC and not get into the field of 65.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:43 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:A major reason students don't show up is because some don't feel its worth the $350 for football basketball and hockey tickets. Not many students are as devoted as the people are on this board- And $350 is a major expense for college students.

Not that everyone has this option, but all it takes is a quick check mark for the bill to go to mommy and daddy. Plenty of kids who could don't bother to take the time to check that box. And if they do check the box, they don't bother walking 200 yards to the games.

Newsflash pedro: For some, 50K a year is enough. Mommy and daddy don't like when you send them unnecessary fees. I don't know any kids who go to games and have their parents pay for them.

Guess you missed the first 6 words of my post. I highlighted them for your convenience. And didn't I say many of the ones that do check the box don't bother going to the games, hence you don't know anyone who goes to the games that has their parents pay? Pop quiz: if you don't know them, do they not exist?

1. So you really think there are a ton of kids who have their parents buy tickets for them and don't go to the game anyways? Are you a student, and if not, how many students do you know of that do this? Even if you are a student, how many of your friends do this?
2. Obviously I don't know every student that goes to the game, but I know a good amount of kids from different regions of the country with different income levels. No self-respecting college kid wants to ask his parents to buy tickets to sporting events and none I know of do. You aren't 10 years old anymore.

1. Where did I say there were "a ton of kids" who do this? Where? Stop twisting what I say so that you actually have an argument. I am not a current student. I was a student. And I knew plenty who did it not so long ago (some went to games, some did not). And although no longer a student, I know a few whose parents currently buy them tix (but I can't account for their attendance).
2. "No self-respecting college kid" wants to ask mommy and daddy to buy tix to sporting events? But having mommy and daddy pay 50K for the rest is just fine? I suppose you and your friends pay for everything you have - from tuition to expenses. Do you graciously give back christmas presents from your parents too?

Do you know the student body of BC? How many kids with expensive cars and privileged lives are you surrounded by? A shitload. If you think they're not taking mommy and daddy's money for tix and other things, then you don't know your student body. You're also naive if you think that all the students at the games (I know, so many) or with season tix all paid for the tix themselves in full. Either way, there are a lot of student tickets being sold that go unused. If every student ticket sold is bought and paid for by the student, then you'd think more would be used. Hmm...why would so many students not show up if they're all paying their hard-earned cash for the tix?

I worked two jobs in college and 1 every summer, so I didn't have to rely on my parents for my income. Allowing your parents to pay for something in college does not make you 10 years old, especially if they are more than willing to do so. If you want to go to games, take the options you have. Just because it isn't an option for you doesn't mean you need to dump on people who have that choice.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:50 am

p6: You know you don't "check a little box" anymore right? Well given your arguments, it is clear you don't.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:54 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:p6: You know you don't "check a little box" anymore right? Well given your arguments, it is clear you don't.

You can't charge it to the student account anymore?

Also, I agree that it's BS how much $ they've gone up over the last five or six years. Considering they're selling fewer tickets, whoever is behind these raises should be :boxer .
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:p6: You know you don't "check a little box" anymore right? Well given your arguments, it is clear you don't.

Are you saying the order form is different or that you cannot charge it to your student account? I'd be very surprised if the latter is true. If that is no longer the case, then fine - I was wrong about that. No big deal. However, the point still remains that plenty of students can have parents pay for it one way or another, but they choose not to or they don't go when they are paid for. Checking a box or how it gets charged to whomever is wholly irrelevant except in terms of the ease factor.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Are you saying the order form is different or that you cannot charge it to your student account? I'd be very surprised if the latter is true. The point is you can charge is to a student account that in some cases gets paid for by mommy and daddy. If that is no longer the case, then fine - I was wrong about that. No big deal. However, the point still remains that plenty of students can have parents pay for it one way or another, but they choose not to. Checking a box or how it gets charged to the parents is wholly irrelevant except in terms of the ease factor.

No it is online through BCeagles and you have your account with your credit card, so unless you want to ask your parents for their credit card to buy student tickets you can't just "check off a little box".

Are you really equating paying money for an education with paying for sports tickets? Granted the scale is completely off but for some reason I don't think they would have a problem paying for my education where they would never pay for my sports tickets.

Edit: You don't go to BC but you clearly have a finger on the pulse of the student body dynamic.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:34 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Are you saying the order form is different or that you cannot charge it to your student account? I'd be very surprised if the latter is true. The point is you can charge is to a student account that in some cases gets paid for by mommy and daddy. If that is no longer the case, then fine - I was wrong about that. No big deal. However, the point still remains that plenty of students can have parents pay for it one way or another, but they choose not to. Checking a box or how it gets charged to the parents is wholly irrelevant except in terms of the ease factor.

No it is online through BCeagles and you have your account with your credit card, so unless you want to ask your parents for their credit card to buy student tickets you can't just "check off a little box".

Are you really equating paying money for an education with paying for sports tickets? Granted the scale is completely off but for some reason I don't think they would have a problem paying for my education where they would never pay for my sports tickets.

Edit: You don't go to BC but you clearly have a finger on the pulse of the student body dynamic.

So there's no option to "charge to student account" on bceagles.com even though they need your student ID #? That's surprising.

If you notice, I mentioned both tuition and expenses when discussing things parents pay for. And I'm not saying your parents or other parents don't have a problem with paying for sports tix - I'm saying there are plenty who don't have a problem with it. Not only as a form of entertainment and community-building activity for their kid, but also as a part of the BC "state of mind".

Should your "edit" have been in red?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:So there's no option to "charge to student account" on bceagles.com even though they need your student ID #? That's surprising.

If you notice, I mentioned both tuition and expenses when discussing things parents pay for. And I'm not saying your parents or other parents don't have a problem with paying for sports tix - I'm saying there are plenty who don't have a problem with it. Not only as a form of entertainment and community-building activity for their kid, but also as a part of the BC "state of mind".

My response to this (sorry I've been studying so the discussion kind of got away from me) is that there are not "plenty" who don't have a problem with it. And furthermore, I don't know anybody who actually has tickets paid for them and don't go. Does that mean there aren't any? No. Obviously not. But I highly doubt there are plenty. Maybe as freshman kids can tell their parents that buying tickets for them would be a "community-building activity", but I have a feeling parents don't want to hear a 21/22 year old write of seasons tickets as "community building". They'd laugh in your face.

I think it was pretty clear that his edit was sarcastic.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:28 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:So there's no option to "charge to student account" on bceagles.com even though they need your student ID #? That's surprising.

My response to this (sorry I've been studying so the discussion kind of got away from me) is that there are not "plenty" who don't have a problem with it. And furthermore, I don't know anybody who actually has tickets paid for them and don't go. Does that mean there aren't any? No. Obviously not. But I highly doubt there are plenty. Maybe as freshman kids can tell their parents that buying tickets for them would be a "community-building activity", but I have a feeling parents don't want to hear a 21/22 year old write of seasons tickets as "community building". They'd laugh in your face.

When a parent sends a child to a school with high profile sports teams, the parents are aware that this is on campus entertainment for their child, a community-building activity (deny it all you want, but it's a school-sponsored event where students come together for a common purpose to support the school), and something that may interest someone or be a reason they went to the school in the first place. A student does not have to explain this to any competent and involved parent. Why exactly would parents laugh in their child's face? Are you drawing on your sadistic real world experience?

As far as "not having my finger on the pulse", that's a sad statement. I am an actively involved recent alum. Sports events, job fairs, volunteering, and various on-campus events are part of my year. Has the student body changed that much since I was there all of 6 years ago? No. Not only that, but I both personally know and work with current students. Therefore, I have multiple perspectives on the BC "pulse". So where am I wrong about the student body?

You contend that not as many parents as I say would want to buy season tickets for their children. Why not? Your evidence thusfar is that you don't know anyone whose parents do pay for their season tickets. Fine. Except I did and do. So where does that leave us? That some students' parents do pay for their tickets. The number is up for debate. I further contend that using the examples of other "unnecessary" expenses that mommy and daddy pay for throughout a student's BC experience indirectly shows that it is likely that some of these same students allow mommy and daddy to pay for student tickets. You claim any "self-respecting" college student would not ask for money for tix. So how do you explain these same "self-respecting" students asking for beer money, spring break money, gas money, spending money, etc, etc, etc?

You never answered my question about whether you and all your friends pay for all your own expenses? Why not? Presumably because you don't and it would be admitting that parents are willing to pay for certain things during college even though they can be deemed unnecessary. It doesn't make one a 10 year old; it makes one a poor college student who still rely on their parents to some extent. Thus describes a vast numbers of college students.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:44 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

When a parent sends a child to a school with high profile sports teams, the parents are aware that this is on campus entertainment for their child, a community-building activity (deny it all you want, but it's a school-sponsored event where students come together for a common purpose to support the school), and something that may interest someone or be a reason they went to the school in the first place. A student does not have to explain this to any competent and involved parent. Why exactly would parents laugh in their child's face? Are you drawing on your sadistic real world experience?

As far as "not having my finger on the pulse", that's a sad statement. I am an actively involved recent alum. Sports events, job fairs, volunteering, and various on-campus events are part of my year. Has the student body changed that much since I was there all of 6 years ago? No. Not only that, but I both personally know and work with current students. Therefore, I have multiple perspectives on the BC "pulse". So where am I wrong about the student body?

You contend that not as many parents as I say would want to buy season tickets for their children. Why not? Your evidence thusfar is that you don't know anyone whose parents do pay for their season tickets. Fine. Except I did and do. So where does that leave us? That some students' parents do pay for their tickets. The number is up for debate. I further contend that using the examples of other "unnecessary" expenses that mommy and daddy pay for throughout a student's BC experience indirectly shows that it is likely that some of these same students allow mommy and daddy to pay for student tickets. You claim any "self-respecting" college student would not ask for money for tix. So how do you explain these same "self-respecting" students asking for beer money, spring break money, gas money, spending money, etc, etc, etc?

You never answered my question about whether you and all your friends pay for all your own expenses? Why not? Presumably because you don't and it would be admitting that parents are willing to pay for certain things during college even though they can be deemed unnecessary. It doesn't make one a 10 year old; it makes one a poor college student who still rely on their parents to some extent. Thus describes a vast numbers of college students.

1st paragraph: You honestly think a parent is going to drop $350 for a 21/22 year old's sporting events when they have already dropped 200K on education? What kind of fantasy world do you live in?

2nd paragraph: I'll take your word for it that you are involved with some current students. That being said, I think its fair to say a current student knows more current students well and has his finger more on the pulse of the BC student body compared to an alum.

3rd paragraph: You really don't have your finger on the pulse of college if you think kids ask for spending money and beer money. That's ridiculous. Very few people on campus have cars, so I don't know how many kids have their parents pay for gas money. As for Spring break, well I honestly don't know I'd imagine some do pay for it and some don't. That being said, I find it hard to believe an alum knows more about what kids today pay for compared to kids in school.

4th paragraph: What do you consider expenses? Do I pay for my education? No my parents do. Do I pay for the dining plan/living? No my parents do. Do I pay for any food/beer I get
not through BC. Yes. Do I pay for sports tickets? Yes. If you are that interested, give me a list of what expenses you want to hear about and I'll tell you whether or I pay for them.

Again, I'll take your word for it that you are "involved" in the BC community. But I'm not going to believe for one second you know more students or more about students than a current student.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:56 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
1st paragraph: You honestly think a parent is going to drop $350 for a 21/22 year old's sporting events when they have already dropped 200K on education? What kind of fantasy world do you live in?

2nd paragraph: I'll take your word for it that you are involved with some current students. That being said, I think its fair to say a current student knows more current students well and has his finger more on the pulse of the BC student body compared to an alum.

3rd paragraph: You really don't have your finger on the pulse of college if you think kids ask for spending money and beer money. That's ridiculous. Very few people on campus have cars, so I don't know how many kids have their parents pay for gas money. As for Spring break, well I honestly don't know I'd imagine some do pay for it and some don't. That being said, I find it hard to believe an alum knows more about what kids today pay for compared to kids in school.

4th paragraph: What do you consider expenses? Do I pay for my education? No my parents do. Do I pay for the dining plan/living? No my parents do. Do I pay for any food/beer I get
not through BC. Yes. Do I pay for sports tickets? Yes. If you are that interested, give me a list of what expenses you want to hear about and I'll tell you whether or I pay for them.

Again, I'll take your word for it that you are "involved" in the BC community. But I'm not going to believe for one second you know more students or more about students than a current student.

I knew this was exactly what was coming.

1) I don't think...I know. Not sure why it's a fantasy when it happens with regularity both when I was there and currently.
2) I never once claimed to have my finger on the pulse more than any current student.
3) Really? College kids don't get spending money from their parents? Seriously? Are you that naive? Look around for a minute or two. Do those summer jobs and 5-8 hour/week work-study jobs really provide every single student with money to cover every expense? What about the ones that don't work year round? Or the ones that don't work at all? As for cars, I'm well aware of the parking situation, but some students still have cars. And they certainly do when they go home.
4) I consider anything outside of tuition, board, and food expenses. But for this instance I've narrowed it down even further to things that can be easily labeled "unnecessary", such as sports tickets. I'm not interested, because again you're using yourself as an example, and I'm not discussing your situation in particular.

Look, this could go on and on, but it's not going anywhere. I absolutely respect that you pay for most of your expenses, but that does little to prove that there are plenty of your classmates that don't do the same. Your denial of that really perplexes me.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:07 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

I knew this was exactly what was coming.

1) I don't think...I know. Not sure why it's a fantasy when it happens with regularity both when I was there and currently.
2) I never once claimed to have my finger on the pulse more than any current student.
3) Really? College kids don't get spending money from their parents? Seriously? Are you that naive? Look around for a minute or two. Do those summer jobs and 5-8 hour/week work-study jobs really provide every single student with money to cover every expense? What about the ones that don't work year round? Or the ones that don't work at all? As for cars, I'm well aware of the parking situation, but some students still have cars. And they certainly do when they go home.
4) I consider anything outside of tuition, board, and food expenses. But for this instance I've narrowed it down even further to things that can be easily labeled "unnecessary", such as sports tickets. I'm not interested, because again you're using yourself as an example, and I'm not discussing your situation in particular.

Look, this could go on and on, but it's not going anywhere. I absolutely respect that you pay for most of your expenses, but that does little to prove that there are plenty of your classmates that don't do the same. Your denial of that really perplexes me.

You make it sound like a ton of kids don't pay for their own tickets. This I'm really interested in- How many kids do you know that have their parents pay for tickets. A number. Not a guess. The majority of kids I know don't have their parents do this. I'd be willing to bet I know more current students than you, seeing as I am one.

You never claimed to have your finger on the pulse more than any current student- but you did claim that you had a strong idea of a lot that goes on. "As far as "not having my finger on the pulse", that's a sad statement. I am an actively involved recent alum. Sports events, job fairs, volunteering, and various on-campus events are part of my year. Has the student body changed that much since I was there all of 6 years ago? No. Not only that, but I both personally know and work with current students. Therefore, I have multiple perspectives on the BC "pulse". So where am I wrong about the student body?" I'm saying that while you may think you know, my guess is that you don't know nearly as much as you think you do.

You can say whatever you want about knowing whether or not kids at least 6 years younger than you do something or not. I'm going to take what I see as a student on a daily basis over your guesses.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby AdamBC on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:27 pm

This is why we need a slapfight emoticon.

AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:39 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
You make it sound like a ton of kids don't pay for their own tickets. This I'm really interested in- How many kids do you know that have their parents pay for tickets. A number. Not a guess. The majority of kids I know don't have their parents do this. I'd be willing to bet I know more current students than you, seeing as I am one.

You never claimed to have your finger on the pulse more than any current student- but you did claim that you had a strong idea of a lot that goes on. "As far as "not having my finger on the pulse", that's a sad statement. I am an actively involved recent alum. Sports events, job fairs, volunteering, and various on-campus events are part of my year. Has the student body changed that much since I was there all of 6 years ago? No. Not only that, but I both personally know and work with current students. Therefore, I have multiple perspectives on the BC "pulse". So where am I wrong about the student body?" I'm saying that while you may think you know, my guess is that you don't know nearly as much as you think you do.

You can say whatever you want about knowing whether or not kids at least 6 years younger than you do something or not. I'm going to take what I see as a student on a daily basis over your guesses.

You keep pulling out "a ton". Not sure from where. I've never nailed down a number, and I haven't made any guesses. When taken in context about how many students are showing up at the lackluster OOC games, then even a relatively small amount who do this make it a pretty high percentage. I see you're finally acknowledging that some students have their parents pay for their tix and other expenses and the parents don't "laugh in their face." Kudos.

You do know more current students than me - no argument there. Unfortunately I haven't had time to survey all the current students I know about who funds their tix. Of the current student ticketholders I do know these facts about - 9/13 have their tix paid for by their parents. Is this representative of the overall percentage? Probably not. But this combined with the fact that many BC students' parents are well off and pay for many other of their child's "unnecessary" expenses throughout college (am I wrong here?), I feel perfectly comfortable saying it happens regularly. I'm sure some parents figured it into the cost of going to BC, while others write it off as a relatively small cost. How about the current students you know this info for?

The distance between my age and theirs/yours is fairly irrelevant. What is more relevant is the student body makeup combined with the trends involved as to where students get their spending money. Feel free to conduct informal surveys of your own or contact the ticket office - let me know if more students than you thought get their tickets in this manner.

Feel free to disagree with me. Trust your own instincts and knowledge over a random guy on a message board. The only realy problem I've had with this exchange is when you've tried to put words in my mouth. As for this topic, this post will be my last. (huge sigh of relief from the board)
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:37 pm

Things must have really changed, b/c I graduated in 2002 and I 100% agree with P6Pedro on this. When we were there, you could just check a box and you'd get tickets and your parents woudl get charged. TONS of kids did this. In fact, nearly every female student I know did this, and then they'd go pick up their tickets for the first time in January or February right before the first Syracuse game. Hell, half the people back then who bought tickets didn't even know when the season started or how to pick up their tickets, but they made sure to get them and charge them to their parents in case they wanted them for the big game. This is one of the reasons they changed the whole student ticket policy. A few years ago, they would have hundreds and hundreds of sets of season tickets that had been purchased but would not even be picked up from the ticket office till halfway through the conference season.

As for spending money, beer money etc., there was HUGE percentage of kids that got all or some of that money from their parents, including me. I worked all summer, but that money never got me through the year. I didn't always have a job during the year, sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't and my parents would supplement me. I know a huge number of kids that never had a job during the year.

And I think its funny that you find it so hard to believe that parents that pay 50k for education would have no problem paying an extra $350 for sports tickets. That's a drop in the bucket for most those parents that have decided they're willing to drop 50k. Again, this is not the case for everyone, but it is/or was when I was as student, and I graduated in 2002
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby auggiebc on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14 am

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:Even looking past the WTF losses, I still can't help but notice that even when BC beats these lower-conference teams in the gimmie OCC segment, BC still looks like they're playing down to the level of their competition. I also can't help but notice that you can count the number of students behind each basket with two hands' worth of fingers and maybe a foot's worth of toes.

Does BC play down to the level of competition because BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage? or Do BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage because the team plays down to the level of competition?

Who really knows? If Conte Forum was packed and loud, perhaps that swings the balance enough to the point where BC beats both Harvard and URI. Or maybe that even with a packed and loud arena, BC still loses.

Maybe if BC beats Harvard, there would be more students behind the basket than on the bench for the URI game. Honestly, BC should be able to beat Harvard and URI if the game is played in the Power Gym in front of zero fans and the way to generate more excitement among the fans is to win more games, but I can't help but feel that if BC was 9-0 going into the URI game and had won every game by 20+ points, Conte still would have been a morgue.

I've been thinking about this alot lately. BC (coaches and players) and media will often say that BC is a "good road team". Which is true. They play well on the road. They have been playing all these lousy teams at home in front of an empty gym with zero emotion. But when they go on the road they are playing in electric atmospheres. (see @ Michigan. and to a lesser degree, @ Priovidence).

@ Clemson and @ Duke coming up is probably the best thing for this team. They need to get out of the doldrums of an empty Conte and get a splash of cold water on their faces in these upcoming road confernce games in front of electric crowds. I think these road atmospheres really get our guys going. Thank god conference play is finally here.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:07 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:to whomever suggested that we start a midnight madness event...

please report to the eo club so the moderators can kick you in the balls while asking how a midnight madness would result in anything when the fan base can't be bothered to show up for a 7 or 9 pm game. all other hoops weirdos are also invited to join in.

thanks,

your colored named friends of eagle outsider

Will said ball-kicking be held at midnight? I bet students would come out for that.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:58 pm

There were a lot of really long posts above. was it argued that our poor home attendance is a result of the financial hardship of parents paying for tickets?????

have the northface jackets been replaced by carhartt and dickies since my time at the heights?

damn you economy.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shredder on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}: they have a program to be excited about. Our coach doesn't bring any excitement to the program, won't let them have a midnight madness, and approaches things as if he couldn't care less. Why? Because he doesn't care. He knows he has a job that is completely safe and he doesn't have to put forth any extra effort to keep it that way.

College students shouldn't need a coach to get them interested in college basketball.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby ryrob on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:34 pm

You keep throwing out these ideas that parents who are paying 200k for an education shouldn't mind throwing another few hundred out for sporting events. You are aware that there's a good percentage of BC students who go to school on financial aid right? I don't pay anything close to sticker tuition, and I know plenty just like me. It's not as simple as asking mommy and daddy for money, the money is already stretched thin for many students. I pay for my tickets out of pocket, just as all of my friends do, and its absurdly fucking expensive compared to other big schools. I don't blame a lot of kids for not wanting to pay $15 a game (yes, that's what it is) to see us lose to the likes of Harvard and URI or watch the dreadfully boring flex offense. I choose to, but I don't blame others for not wanting to honestly.

Also, there's no such thing as charging it to a student account. It's all credit cards. Don't know why this is even being debated, it's not 2002 anymore.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:01 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:You keep throwing out these ideas that parents who are paying 200k for an education shouldn't mind throwing another few hundred out for sporting events. You are aware that there's a good percentage of BC students who go to school on financial aid right? I don't pay anything close to sticker tuition, and I know plenty just like me. It's not as simple as asking mommy and daddy for money, the money is already stretched thin for many students. I pay for my tickets out of pocket, just as all of my friends do, and its absurdly fucking expensive compared to other big schools. I don't blame a lot of kids for not wanting to pay $15 a game (yes, that's what it is) to see us lose to the likes of Harvard and URI or watch the dreadfully boring flex offense. I choose to, but I don't blame others for not wanting to honestly.

Also, there's no such thing as charging it to a student account. It's all credit cards. Don't know why this is even being debated, it's not 2002 anymore.

It's too bad its not 2002. It would be better if it was 1992
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:09 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:Even looking past the WTF losses, I still can't help but notice that even when BC beats these lower-conference teams in the gimmie OCC segment, BC still looks like they're playing down to the level of their competition. I also can't help but notice that you can count the number of students behind each basket with two hands' worth of fingers and maybe a foot's worth of toes.

Does BC play down to the level of competition because BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage? or Do BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage because the team plays down to the level of competition?

Who really knows? If Conte Forum was packed and loud, perhaps that swings the balance enough to the point where BC beats both Harvard and URI. Or maybe that even with a packed and loud arena, BC still loses.

Maybe if BC beats Harvard, there would be more students behind the basket than on the bench for the URI game. Honestly, BC should be able to beat Harvard and URI if the game is played in the Power Gym in front of zero fans and the way to generate more excitement among the fans is to win more games, but I can't help but feel that if BC was 9-0 going into the URI game and had won every game by 20+ points, Conte still would have been a morgue.

I've been thinking about this alot lately. BC (coaches and players) and media will often say that BC is a "good road team". Which is true. They play well on the road. They have been playing all these lousy teams at home in front of an empty gym with zero emotion. But when they go on the road they are playing in electric atmospheres. (see @ Michigan. and to a lesser degree, @ Priovidence).

@ Clemson and @ Duke coming up is probably the best thing for this team. They need to get out of the doldrums of an empty Conte and get a splash of cold water on their faces in these upcoming road confernce games in front of electric crowds. I think these road atmospheres really get our guys going. Thank god conference play is finally here.

Fixed
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum