Chicken or Egg

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

chicken or the egg

BC plays down to the level of competition because BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage
36%
BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage because the team plays down to the level of competition
64%

Total votes : 25

Chicken or Egg

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:09 pm

Even looking past the WTF losses, I still can't help but notice that even when BC beats these lower-conference teams in the gimmie OCC segment, BC still looks like they're playing down to the level of their competition. I also can't help but notice that you can count the number of students behind each basket with two hands' worth of fingers and maybe a foot's worth of toes.

Does BC play down to the level of competition because BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage? or Do BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage because the team plays down to the level of competition?

Who really knows? If Conte Forum was packed and loud, perhaps that swings the balance enough to the point where BC beats both Harvard and URI. Or maybe that even with a packed and loud arena, BC still loses.

Maybe if BC beats Harvard, there would be more students behind the basket than on the bench for the URI game. Honestly, BC should be able to beat Harvard and URI if the game is played in the Power Gym in front of zero fans and the way to generate more excitement among the fans is to win more games, but I can't help but feel that if BC was 9-0 going into the URI game and had won every game by 20+ points, Conte still would have been a morgue.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Re: Chicken or Egg

Postby screagle on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:17 pm

the two are mutually exclusive. when we started 20-0 or whatever it was several years ago, the place was still empty against OOC opponents. as much as i hate the superfraud t-shirts/signs, the message is compelling.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:45 pm

C. This team and this coach just aren't very good.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:03 pm

It shouldn't take a group of 10 ACC athletes a couple of thousand more people to be ready to play the game they excel in.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:15 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:It shouldn't take a group of 10 ACC athletes a couple of thousand more people to be ready to play the game they excel in.

No, it shouldn't. But that still doesn't mean that BC has anything close to resembling a home court advantage.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:18 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:It shouldn't take a group of 10 ACC athletes a couple of thousand more people to be ready to play the game they excel in.

No, it shouldn't. But that still doesn't mean that BC has anything close to resembling a home court advantage.

Again, I don't see how this is relevant to beating bad teams. It shouldn't take home court advantage to. The reason the players don't get up for bad teams is because they think they are so much better than them and that they can win based of pure talent- More often than not, they can, but not always.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:25 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

Again, I don't see how this is relevant to beating bad teams. It shouldn't take home court advantage to. The reason the players don't get up for bad teams is because they think they are so much better than them and that they can win based of pure talent- More often than not, they can, but not always.

Did you read my earlier post when I said that BC should be able to beat these teams in a locked-out Power Gymnasium?
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:28 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

Did you read my earlier post when I said that BC should be able to beat these teams in a locked-out Power Gymnasium?

Yes. I was answering your question, "Does BC play down to the level of competition because BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage?"

I gave the reason the team plays down to the level of competition. It has nothing to do with attendance.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:37 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

Yes. I was answering your question, "Does BC play down to the level of competition because BC fans offer ZERO homecourt advantage?"

I gave the reason the team plays down to the level of competition. It has nothing to do with attendance.

I don't think that attendance is the sole factor, but to pretend that it doesn't play a role is being naive. These aren't professional athletes. For an 18-19 year old, you don't think that there's a difference between playing in front of a sold out arena and playing in front of an arena that's 75% empty seats?
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:31 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

We have no home court advantage but it has very little to do with why we play down to our opponents. As you'll notice teams like Duke with good coaches don't seem to have any problem with the inferior opponents.

Also, and this is no criticism on Al unlike the first comment, our style of basketball when executed correctly is effective but extremely boring. The flex is a snooze, it's not like the run and gun teams like Tennessee which are more fun to watch.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

We have no home court advantage but it has very little to do with why we play down to our opponents. As you'll notice teams like Duke with good coaches don't seem to have any problem with the inferior opponents.

I also notice that when Duke plays a shit ass team like Gardner Webb during finals, the stadium is packed, fans are loud and even with a 40 point lead, nobody's leaving early.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:53 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

I also notice that when Duke plays a shit ass team like Gardner Webb during finals, the stadium is packed, fans are loud and even with a 40 point lead, nobody's leaving early.

This is going to sound retarded, but Duke is Duke, they're always going to be like this. They have tradition, we're miles from that.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:55 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

they have a program to be excited about. Our coach doesn't bring any excitement to the program, won't let them have a midnight madness, and approaches things as if he couldn't care less. Why? Because he doesn't care. He knows he has a job that is completely safe and he doesn't have to put forth any extra effort to keep it that way.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

they have a program to be excited about. Our coach doesn't bring any excitement to the program, won't let them have a midnight madness, and approaches things as if he couldn't care less. Why? Because he doesn't care. He knows he has a job that is completely safe and he doesn't have to put forth any extra effort to keep it that way.

We need to start Midnight Madness. Traditions have to start somewhere and it would help at least generate a little interest.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:00 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

Couldn't you say the exact same thing about Spaziani?

and the notion that the students are staying away from games as a referundum on Al Skinner is laughable. BC hockey is one of the top college hockey programs in the country and Jerry York routinely gives BC fans a product to get excited about and the students still don't show up.
Last edited by EaglesTalon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:02 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

Yes you can. Again Jerry York is a terrific coach, I'm not thrilled with the situations in football in basketball though.

Frankly, Jags was an excited coach that brought interest to the program.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:03 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

when did I say spaz is great?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Definitely the latter.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:34 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Definitely the latter.

So why does Conte suck for hockey games?
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:37 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

This is great. The bbasketball teams sucks BECAUSE OF THE FANS!
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

FIRST POST OF THE FUCKING THREAD {l Wrote}:Who really knows? If Conte Forum was packed and loud, perhaps that swings the balance enough to the point where BC beats both Harvard and URI. Or maybe that even with a packed and loud arena, BC still loses.

Maybe if BC beats Harvard, there would be more students behind the basket than on the bench for the URI game. Honestly, BC should be able to beat Harvard and URI if the game is played in the Power Gym in front of zero fans and the way to generate more excitement among the fans is to win more games, but I can't help but feel that if BC was 9-0 going into the URI game and had won every game by 20+ points, Conte still would have been a morgue.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:42 pm

A major reason students don't show up is because some don't feel its worth the $350 for football basketball and hockey tickets. Not many students are as devoted as the people are on this board- And $350 is a major expense for college students.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:44 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

I don't think that attendance is the sole factor, but to pretend that it doesn't play a role is being naive. These aren't professional athletes. For an 18-19 year old, you don't think that there's a difference between playing in front of a sold out arena and playing in front of an arena that's 75% empty seats?

And to answer your question (I didn't see it because OJ hijacked the thread)- yes, there is a difference. I do feel the team would play better. As I've said though, it shouldn't be necessary for the team to play well.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:46 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

No, the point is that nobody goes to games like vs. Maine because they are going to play like a team slightly better than Maine.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:01 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:And to answer your question (I didn't see it because OJ hijacked the thread)- yes, there is a difference. I do feel the team would play better. As I've said though, it shouldn't be necessary for the team to play well.

agreed.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:40 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:We have no home court advantage but it has very little to do with why we play down to our opponents. As you'll notice teams like Duke with good coaches don't seem to have any problem with the inferior opponents.

Nov 16, 2008 Cameron Indoor Stadium Duke 82 URI 79

I'm sure there are plenty more examples. I won't say the frequency is the same as Al's teams, but even well-coached teams have problems with inferior opponents.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:42 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:A major reason students don't show up is because some don't feel its worth the $350 for football basketball and hockey tickets. Not many students are as devoted as the people are on this board- And $350 is a major expense for college students.

Not that everyone has this option, but all it takes is a quick check mark for the bill to go to mommy and daddy. Plenty of kids who could don't bother to take the time to check that box. And if they do check the box, they don't bother walking 200 yards to the games.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:30 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:A major reason students don't show up is because some don't feel its worth the $350 for football basketball and hockey tickets. Not many students are as devoted as the people are on this board- And $350 is a major expense for college students.

Not that everyone has this option, but all it takes is a quick check mark for the bill to go to mommy and daddy. Plenty of kids who could don't bother to take the time to check that box. And if they do check the box, they don't bother walking 200 yards to the games.

Newsflash pedro: For some, 50K a year is enough. Mommy and daddy don't like when you send them unnecessary fees. I don't know any kids who go to games and have their parents pay for them.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:40 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Newsflash pedro: For some, 50K a year is enough. Mommy and daddy don't like when you send them unnecessary fees. I don't know any kids who go to games and have their parents pay for them.

Guess you missed the first 6 words of my post. I highlighted them for your convenience. And didn't I say many of the ones that do check the box don't bother going to the games, hence you don't know anyone who goes to the games that has their parents pay? Pop quiz: if you don't know them, do they not exist?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:47 pm

I actually didn't go to BC (went to Colby College, dad went to BC) so I can't speak to the student issue. For general fans, it's a freaking hassle to get all that way out to Chestnut Hill, through heavy Comm Ave traffic on a mid-week night to see BC play "Insert Shitty Opponent Here". If people really care, they'll get to the game but otherwise, forget it.

Do you guys remember the VT game last year at BC? 7 pm tip-off on a Saturday Night? The place was absolutely packed. If it's a bad opponent or it's a hassle to get to (i.e. huge 9 pm game vs. FSU when absolutely no one was there or any other 9 pm game not against Duke or UNC), the general community just won't go unless they really care about BC Basketball.

Univ. of Maryland have switched all midweek home games for the most part to 8 pm (to avoid DC traffic and give people time to get to the game), although I don't think that would help in this case to be honest. They still don't sell-out against bad opponents.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum