We should all pray Al is the head coach for the next 5 years

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: We should all pray Al is the head coach for the next 5 years

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:03 am

So... You have no links even thought these are allegedly "well known facts". Thank you.

BTW... the argument isn't about whether TOB should've been paid more. The argument is whether BC has the resources to pay more but GDF chooses not to.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:39 am

HJS {l Wrote}:BTW... the argument isn't about whether TOB should've been paid more. The argument is whether BC has the resources to pay more but GDF chooses not to.

TOB is such a hideous example though.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:So... You have no links even thought these are allegedly "well known facts". Thank you.

BTW... the argument isn't about whether TOB should've been paid more. The argument is whether BC has the resources to pay more but GDF chooses not to.

I am well aware of your argument about having the resources FOR FOOTBALL. My argument against that is twofold: 1) just because you have the money doesn't mean you need to spend it on an average coach and 2) this money being available for keeping an established football coach has nothing to do with a) hiring a new coach and b) basketball.

The link shows that he was looking to go elsewhere and he cited reasons as North Carolina, state school, recruiting, etc. Man, you're reading comprehensive intolerant. Do they have a pill for that?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:04 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:BTW... the argument isn't about whether TOB should've been paid more. The argument is whether BC has the resources to pay more but GDF chooses not to.

Agreed. But, when pedro and Talon won't except anything but PROOF, I have to go with what I have. The fact remains BC has resources at its disposal but Gene refuses to tap into them. That is all I am saying. And yet, we are on Page 4 of a thread because someone refuses to acknowledge these two simple facts.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:40 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Agreed. But, when pedro and Talon won't except anything but PROOF, I have to go with what I have. The fact remains BC has resources at its disposal but Gene refuses to tap into them. That is all I am saying. And yet, we are on Page 4 of a thread because someone refuses to acknowledge these two simple facts.

It's funny because I've acknowleged those facts. You're too dense to realize that though. By all means - continue.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

There are 2 logical holes in your argument:

1) Using the fact that GDF refused to pay TOB and the subsequent distress of Barber and the Board strengthens GDFs case, it does not diminish it. You would be hard-pressed to find anyone on this board who would have approved of over-paying TOB to keep him away rom NC St. Hell, its a feather in his cap that he forced him out, assuming that was the case. Barber, for all of his financial dedication to the program, was dead wrong.

2) Why would GDF choose to underpay any coach if he did not have to? Wouldn't his reputation and prestige grow with the success of the teams he oversees? If the $$$ was limitless (within reason...) why would he short-change his own career ambitions? Why not blow the big money to bring in a Who's Who of the coaching world??? The reality is the the very same coaches who would be attracted to that sales pitch would never come to BC and risk their "reputations" on a program that actually asks their kids to learn something and graduate.

I am not a GDF guy at all; I place the blame for severely damaging the gameday and attendence problems squarely at his feet & believe he has betrayed the loyal fans in a misguided attempt to be big-time like Duke hoops or Clemson football. That said, I find it difficult to fault him in anything to do with Skinner.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:04 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:2) Why would GDF choose to underpay any coach if he did not have to? Wouldn't his reputation and prestige grow with the success of the teams he oversees? If the $$$ was limitless (within reason...) why would he short-change his own career ambitions? Why not blow the big money to bring in a Who's Who of the coaching world??? The reality is the the very same coaches who would be attracted to that sales pitch would never come to BC and risk their "reputations" on a program that actually asks their kids to learn something and graduate.

Paying a coaches $2mm a year brings about two things unwanted by GDF. First and foremost, it gives the coach independence from the AD. Second, it creates financial and public expectations of success which puts significant pressure upon the AD should it not be attained.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:2) Why would GDF choose to underpay any coach if he did not have to? Wouldn't his reputation and prestige grow with the success of the teams he oversees? If the $$$ was limitless (within reason...) why would he short-change his own career ambitions? Why not blow the big money to bring in a Who's Who of the coaching world??? The reality is the the very same coaches who would be attracted to that sales pitch would never come to BC and risk their "reputations" on a program that actually asks their kids to learn something and graduate.

Paying a coaches $2mm a year brings about two things unwanted by GDF. First and foremost, it gives the coach independence from the AD. Second, it creates financial and public expectations of success which puts significant pressure upon the AD should it not be attained.

Part 2 would assume that GDF is concerned about his security as BC AD. The sad truth is that, barring a really major scandal, the only worry he has is not living up to the educational expectations of the school. Like it or not, coaches at BC must undestand this limitation which is why the big dollars really are not a factor. Coughlin is the only coach BC would have broken the bank for, and no amount of money was keeping him away from the NFL.

I suuppose this answers your first rebuttal as well; no coach will ever be bigger than the school.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum