We should all pray Al is the head coach for the next 5 years

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

We should all pray Al is the head coach for the next 5 years

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:31 am

Why? Because if he ain't, then Gene D will be the one making the hire. And, based on his incompetent track record to date, you can be assured that his hire is going to suck worse than this season repeated 5 times.

GeneD's list of candidates will be limited to Ed Cooley, Tim O'Shea, Ed Coen, Pat Duquette and Steve Lapas. There isn't a savior among that group.

Those who want Al gone, have some weird effing fantasy that Bruce Pearl or Mark Few or Jay Wright or Jamie Dixon is going to come into Chestnut Hill and make us a superpower. Nothing could be further from the truth. We will hire the absolute best coach who is willing to make $500k and work for a meddling AD with a severe Napoleon complex.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: We should all pray Al is the head coach for the next 5 years

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:03 am

Absolutely true. Gene isn't suddenly going to man up and do what's right. But the real question is "If Gene ever leaves/retires, will the administration replace him with anyone who is any better?"
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:06 am

Unfortunately this is true. Pearl and Few aren't going to come to BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Of course BC isn't going to pull in Few, Wright or Pearl. But there's no reason to believe they couldn't rope in an up-and-comer who *gasp* would garner interest from other programs after a couple successful seasons.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:20 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Of course BC isn't going to pull in Few, Wright or Pearl. But there's no reason to believe they couldn't rope in an up-and-comer who *gasp* would garner interest from other programs after a couple successful seasons.

No up-and-comer is going to come work for Gene DeFilippo. And, Gene DeFilippo is not going to hire someone he doesn't already know and will only hire someone who will allow him to be heavily involved as Coach Flip in the day-to-day operations. If Gene is making the hire, the next head coach at BC will either be Steve Lappas or a Skinner-protege. If you don't like those options, pray for Al to be here longer than Spaz.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:21 pm

If BU was able to grab Pat Chambers, I'm sure BC could do OK.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Of course BC isn't going to pull in Few, Wright or Pearl. But there's no reason to believe they couldn't rope in an up-and-comer who *gasp* would garner interest from other programs after a couple successful seasons.

No up-and-comer is going to come work for Gene DeFilippo. And, Gene DeFilippo is not going to hire someone he doesn't already know and will only hire someone who will allow him to be heavily involved as Coach Flip in the day-to-day operations. If Gene is making the hire, the next head coach at BC will either be Steve Lappas or a Skinner-protege. If you don't like those options, pray for Al to be here longer than Spaz.

If you like Al's performance in the NCAA Tournament, you're going to have a field day with Steve Lappas.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Really? An up-and-comer couldn't suck it up for 2 seasons under Gene to bolster his resume in the ACC before moving somewhere else?

And what evidence do you have that GDF is heavy-handed in his approach in day-to-day operations of the basketball program? Football yes. Basketball - I've yet to see it.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:51 pm

BC could hire a terrific, established BB coach. Heck, at the height of the Admissions Scandal and with the entire class defecting and prominent AAU coaches poisoning BC's recruiting waters, BC was still able to land an excellent coach in Skinner. Now, in the ACC (which is the country's premier BB conference), with an incredibly strong 12-year run, BC should be able to hire Jay Wright, Jamie Dixon, Mark Few or Bruce Pearl with very little problem. But, sadly, with GeneD at the helm, what we could get and what we would get are world's apart.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:02 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Really? An up-and-comer couldn't suck it up for 2 seasons under Gene to bolster his resume in the ACC before moving somewhere else?

And what evidence do you have that GDF is heavy-handed in his approach in day-to-day operations of the basketball program? Football yes. Basketball - I've yet to see it.

Gene has a very, VERY poor reputation among head coaches. Pretty much every former BC head coach hates his guts. Replacing a coach who has been in place for over a decade is always a daunting task. Replacing a coach who has brought unparalleled success to a program over that timespan makes it even more challenging. Replacing such a coach with a meddling AD... well you can forget about it. The only up-and-coming coach you are landing is one who can't get a job elsewhere (meaning, he ain't really that much of an up-and-comer).

The best BC could hope for is a guy looking for a second chance like Matt Dougherty or a sober Billy Gillespie (who I otherwise would love). But, Gene has always been about connections and comfort-level when it comes to coaches. He only hires someone for a job like BC's BB head coach who he is VERY familiar with. And that universe is limited to Steve Lappas and Skinner Assistants.

As for Gene meddling in BB, Gene hasn't been able to meddle with any program that he inherited. He didn't meddle in FB when TOB was here. Once he left, then he was able to get his greasy hands on the operation. Same would be true of the BB program and hockey.

Bottomline... Gene has proven to be HORRIBLE at doing things that ADs are normally charged with handling (hiring/firing coaches, gameday atmoshere, selling tickets, etc.). I do not want him to have more opportunities to prove to the world just how truly bad he is at his job.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby buconvict on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:13 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:If BU was able to grab Pat Chambers, I'm sure BC could do OK.

I hate to break it to you, but BU looks more likely to make the dance this year than BC does. BU is basically a lock to win the America East, which probably helped land Chambers. That and the fact that they pay him fairly, something that BC has never hung its hat on.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:42 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:If BU was able to grab Pat Chambers, I'm sure BC could do OK.

I hate to break it to you, but BU looks more likely to make the dance this year than BC does. BU is basically a lock to win the America East, which probably helped land Chambers. That and the fact that they pay him fairly, something that BC has never hung its hat on.

I would say Al is paid quite fairly:

At BC, basketball coach Al Skinner received $868,876 in compensation during the 2007 tax year: $689,521 in salary and $179,355 in benefits.
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:56 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:

What exactly are you breaking to me? I was lauding the hire. :81
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:59 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:

What is Chambers policy on non-varsity students dunking?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:BC could hire a terrific, established BB coach. Heck, at the height of the Admissions Scandal and with the entire class defecting and prominent AAU coaches poisoning BC's recruiting waters, BC was still able to land an excellent coach in Skinner. Now, in the ACC (which is the country's premier BB conference), with an incredibly strong 12-year run, BC should be able to hire Jay Wright, Jamie Dixon, Mark Few or Bruce Pearl with very little problem. But, sadly, with GeneD at the helm, what we could get and what we would get are world's apart.

Here's where you lose all credibility (not that you ever had any).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:BC could hire a terrific, established BB coach. Heck, at the height of the Admissions Scandal and with the entire class defecting and prominent AAU coaches poisoning BC's recruiting waters, BC was still able to land an excellent coach in Skinner. Now, in the ACC (which is the country's premier BB conference), with an incredibly strong 12-year run, BC should be able to hire Jay Wright, Jamie Dixon, Mark Few or Bruce Pearl with very little problem. But, sadly, with GeneD at the helm, what we could get and what we would get are world's apart.

Well they could an absolute top-notch coach, if the hoops program generated any $$. Currently, we'd be out of the market for brand-name coaches because we never completely open up the wallet. I think that's the biggest reason that Coen, Duq, etc are the presumed front-runners to succeed Handsome.

I agree with some of what you said in your subsequent post. This is why I'm hesitant to call for an end to the current complacent (but supremely proficient) regime. Getting rid of a coach never makes sense unless there is a better replacement. The Coens of the world are very good basketball coaches, but they will not change the culture here. Like you, I'm not sure that GDF would allow a coach with the potential to shake up the status quo. He allowed it with Jagerdzinski, but he might view that as a mistake. Anyways, this is all moot, because you absolutely do not look to change your coach when 2/3 of your team are returning upperclassmen. You see it out in fairness to a guy who has by-and-large performed exceptionally well in his decade-plus tenure. This is why Al will be our basketball coach at least through 2011.

As an aside, :kudos for picking the absolutely worst possible replacement option to make your point. That photo is hilarious.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Gene has a very, VERY poor reputation among head coaches. Pretty much every former BC head coach hates his guts. Replacing a coach who has been in place for over a decade is always a daunting task. Replacing a coach who has brought unparalleled success to a program over that timespan makes it even more challenging. Replacing such a coach with a meddling AD... well you can forget about it. The only up-and-coming coach you are landing is one who can't get a job elsewhere (meaning, he ain't really that much of an up-and-comer).

The best BC could hope for is a guy looking for a second chance like Matt Dougherty or a sober Billy Gillespie (who I otherwise would love). But, Gene has always been about connections and comfort-level when it comes to coaches. He only hires someone for a job like BC's BB head coach who he is VERY familiar with. And that universe is limited to Steve Lappas and Skinner Assistants.

As for Gene meddling in BB, Gene hasn't been able to meddle with any program that he inherited. He didn't meddle in FB when TOB was here. Once he left, then he was able to get his greasy hands on the operation. Same would be true of the BB program and hockey.

Bottomline... Gene has proven to be HORRIBLE at doing things that ADs are normally charged with handling (hiring/firing coaches, gameday atmoshere, selling tickets, etc.). I do not want him to have more opportunities to prove to the world just how truly bad he is at his job.

And how many hires/fires has GDF overseen? According to many, Jags was a great hire which he then F'ed up. Either that or he was a bad hire and a good decision was made to dump him.

This statement: "He only hires someone for a job like BC's BB head coach who he is VERY familiar with. And that universe is limited to Steve Lappas and Skinner Assistants." and this statement: "As for Gene meddling in BB, Gene hasn't been able to meddle with any program that he inherited." Are in direct contradiction to each other.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Gene also fired a very successful coach, Kathy Inglese, because of a personality conflict. The end result has been the hiring of Sylvia Crawley, who is neither qualified and does not have the team behind her because she is a bitch.

On the other hand when Coach York retires, he will probably hand pick his successor. Of course the best part is Gene does not care enough about the hockey team to be involved.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby buconvict on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:37 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

What is Chambers policy on non-varsity students dunking?

I believe he's cool with it. Otherwise, I want him GONE!

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby buconvict on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:38 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

What exactly are you breaking to me? I was lauding the hire. :81

My bad. :toby

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby buconvict on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:38 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

I would say Al is paid quite fairly:

At BC, basketball coach Al Skinner received $868,876 in compensation during the 2007 tax year: $689,521 in salary and $179,355 in benefits.

That's pretty low for an ACC coach isn't it?

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:53 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Man you are such a sad-face fan. No wonder you like JOB, Spaz and TOB.

I happen to think that this is a great program. With a different AD (one willing to actually pay for a good coach), all the regular names that float around each year would be jockeying for a chance at BC. Jesus... if an absolute dogshit program like UVA (who hasn't seen success since Ralph Sampson) can go out and hire Tony Bennett... there is only imagined we-are-what-we-are restrictions to our potential coaching pools.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:12 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:And how many hires/fires has GDF overseen? According to many, Jags was a great hire which he then F'ed up. Either that or he was a bad hire and a good decision was made to dump him.

This statement: "He only hires someone for a job like BC's BB head coach who he is VERY familiar with. And that universe is limited to Steve Lappas and Skinner Assistants." and this statement: "As for Gene meddling in BB, Gene hasn't been able to meddle with any program that he inherited." Are in direct contradiction to each other.

Jags was an OK hire. But, the thing that made Jags good was Logan. I've said a million times I wouldn't care about Jags' leaving if Logan was promoted to HC. I also have said a million times that I didn't think Jags was some sort of virtuoso. I commented that the fact that he had success just goes to show how truly great this program could be if we landed someone who put forth just a little bit of effort and who didn't believe in any imagined constraints on the program. BTW, Jags only got the job because he was buddies with Gene and promised him he could be Coach Flip with a HUGE role in the program.

No idea why you think those two quotes are in direct contradiction. Gene is only going to hire someone for the revenue sports that he is comfortable with. And, whoever that is, he is going to be required to be constantly in the loop. If he can help it, Gene will not let a revenue sport run outside of his influence. FB ran that way under TOB until he left. BB and Hocket have run the same under the inherited coaches. But, if given the chance, Coach Flip will be the first head coach of FB, BB and Hockey in NCAA history.

It is complete folly to believe that Gene is going to do a nationwide search and then hire some up-and-comer who he will give unfettered control over the program. But, if that is what gets you through the day... fine... go back to your Fire Al rants.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Man you are such a sad-face fan. No wonder you like JOB, Spaz and TOB.

I happen to think that this is a great program. With a different AD (one willing to actually pay for a good coach), all the regular names that float around each year would be jockeying for a chance at BC. Jesus... if an absolute dogshit program like UVA (who hasn't seen success since Ralph Sampson) can go out and hire Tony Bennett... there is only imagined we-are-what-we-are restrictions to our potential coaching pools.

Dude, you are clueless. Show me where I lay down my love of JOB, TOB and Spaz. You won't find it, because you blatantly made that up.

As far as the great program, et al - I fully agree and $ talks - but we aren't talking about an AD who won't cough up the $. We're talking about a university that won't cough up the $. Even if BC did spend wads of cash - do you really see Jay Wright or Bruce Pearl walknig away from the situations they are in? You're nuts.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:And how many hires/fires has GDF overseen? According to many, Jags was a great hire which he then F'ed up. Either that or he was a bad hire and a good decision was made to dump him.

Jags was an OK hire. But, the thing that made Jags good was Logan. I've said a million times I wouldn't care about Jags' leaving if Logan was promoted to HC. I also have said a million times that I didn't think Jags was some sort of virtuoso. I commented that the fact that he had success just goes to show how truly great this program could be if we landed someone who put forth just a little bit of effort and who didn't believe in any imagined constraints on the program. BTW, Jags only got the job because he was buddies with Gene and promised him he could be Coach Flip with a HUGE role in the program.

No idea why you think those two quotes are in direct contradiction. Gene is only going to hire someone for the revenue sports that he is comfortable with. And, whoever that is, he is going to be required to be constantly in the loop. If he can help it, Gene will not let a revenue sport run outside of his influence. FB ran that way under TOB until he left. BB and Hocket have run the same under the inherited coaches. But, if given the chance, Coach Flip will be the first head coach of FB, BB and Hockey in NCAA history.

It is complete folly to believe that Gene is going to do a nationwide search and then hire some up-and-comer who he will give unfettered control over the program. But, if that is what gets you through the day... fine... go back to your Fire Al rants.

Of course we all know Gene is a control freak...but I am not convinced just because he's strong-armed the football program that he will do the same or even do it to the same degree to the basketball program. It's a definite possibility though - that I will agree with. But it's far from a definite. If it was a definite, he probably would have gotten away with replacing (or chasing away) Al by now.

Again - show me where I rant about firing Al. You can't because you made it up. Do you even bother to look at the name you are responding to?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:43 pm

I don't think that Gene will assume day-to-day operations of the basketball team, but the #1 criteria Gene would look for in a hire would be someone that shows no ambition beyond BC.

Gene wants someone good enough to make the NCAA tournament every year, but someone who goes too deep into the NCAAs too fast will get looks from other colleges or possibly the NBA. Gene does NOT want someone who will leave BC for another job.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:03 pm

BC cannot better itself in any program without first ridding itself of Gene DeFilippo.

Any talk about affirmatively firing one coach or antoher is just a waste of time so long as our AD remains in his current role.

On an aside, regarding Skinner, if the Nets strikeout on their free agent list, I bet they will explore bringing Al in. Thorn likes Al and they would view it as a former New York Net from the glory days returning to lead the team back to Brooklyn.

However, then we have to hold our breath hoping that Gene hires Coen over O'Shea and Lappas. Good times.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 pm

the day that Al takes a job with the Nets will be a GREAT GREAT day for BC basketball.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby buconvict on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:the day that Al takes a job with the Nets will be a GREAT GREAT day for BC basketball.

Why do you post on a messageboard where everyone hates you? I feel as though moist people join messageboards to discuss common interests, not annoy everyone with racist ignorance.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:13 pm

You took tremendous issue with my statement that Al Skinner is a GOOD coach, who has underachieved in the postseason and suggested that Al is AVERAGE.

Now, you think that the NBA is going to hire an AVERAGE college coach?
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum