URI is good

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

URI is good

Postby auggiebc on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:38 pm

I'm serious. I didn't know anything about them until I watched the game tonite. They jump out of the gym..very athletic. They pass really well. They were great in transition...and they pound the offensive boards. Men against boys tonite.

This is not to excuse BC for losing handily in two fucking OOC home games in a row. So please don't start...I'm not making excuses for BC. Their performance tonite was pathetic.

But I for one will not be suprised to see Harvard and URI both dancing in March. We have not been playing cupcakes, gentlemen.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Re: URI is good

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:15 am

Edit postReport this postReply with quoteRe: Fire Al threads
by DuchesneEast on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:57 pm

I won't start one but may join in if this crap keeps up. I am waiting for the uri is actually a good team thread.

I'm Kreskin.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:07 am

DE,
admittedly, a percentage of my original post is tongue-in-cheek.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 am

Pre-emptive strike before Saturday Afternoon.

Bryant College has a good basketball team.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:17 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:DE,
admittedly, a percentage of my original post is tongue-in-cheek.

I know, after the Harvard link I dont think anyone would have gone there seriously.

We just look bad though.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:02 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:I'm serious. I didn't know anything about them until I watched the game tonite. They jump out of the gym..very athletic. They pass really well. They were great in transition...and they pound the offensive boards. Men against boys tonite.

This is not to excuse BC for losing handily in two fucking OOC home games in a row. So please don't start...I'm not making excuses for BC. Their performance tonite was pathetic.

But I for one will not be suprised to see Harvard and URI both dancing in March. We have not been playing cupcakes, gentlemen.

I hear NJIT is really tough this year.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:38 pm

as for the teams we've beaten:

Providence just lost at home to Iona. Michigan is horrible. Miami hasn't played anyone yet.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby angryty on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:52 pm

Jim Baron is a great coach. Twenty times the coach that Al is. All you need to know about Baron is that he cleaned up the mess Jim O'Brien made of Saint Bonaventure--and the decade long disaster that ensued--and brought the Bonnies back to the NCAA tournament--a place they have not been since he left (although they have a good former BC baller coaching them now and they appear to be returning to A-10 respectability).

If we had Baron as a coach, we'd do some damage in the NCAA tournament. With that said, Greasy Gene is probably too busy playing Gipetto on our football program to notice that there is a far superior coach sitting in Kingston, RI waiting for someone to notice that he has done a great job wherever he has coached.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:36 am

I don't know, Ty. He's decent and his teams are generally fun to watch, but he has a career record of 336-320, and in 22 seasons as a head coach has had a winning record in conference only six times. Granted, he hasn't exactly been coaching traditional powers, but he hasn't been coaching against them, either.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby angryty on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:05 pm

The guy took a dead program at St. Francis, that was considering dropping the program down to d-3 and got them into the NCAA tournament in three years and actually gave Arizona everything they could handle in the first round as a 15 seed.

Then he went to Saint Bonaventure. I can tell you that the program he inherited was a disaster--a team that had been losing 20 games a year for a decade. One that had one coach fired because of allegations he was paying his players and was about to get kicked out of the Atlantic 10 because they could not compete. He turned that around in three years and eventually was cheated out of a double ot win over Kentucky in the 1999 tournament by officiating that was so bad even Jim Nance was excoriating it. And remember, when he did this, UMASS was still a national power, Temple was a national power, GW was a national power and St. Joe's was beating the hell out of us every year (somethings never change), and a pretty good West Virginia program was still part of the conference. People forget, but the A-10 was a damn good conference for the 90s.

If you think the reclamation job Al did with BC after J'OB destroyed the program on his way out the door, if pales in comparison to the miracle work that Baron did at Bonnies.

At URI, he inherited a remarkably similar situation, a program that had had the bottom fall out of it, was facing NCAA sanctions (arising from Jim Harrick's regime). He has won 20 games there four times and was widely acknowledged to have been screwed out of two NCAA berths.

But aside from the fact that the guy has a winning record despite coaching at three programs that were on death's door when he took over, watch the way his team played. They are crisp, they are heady and they don't make the sort of idiotic mistakes we have been making repeatedly for years--and they did it despite the fact that they lost one of the best players in the programs history going into the season (Baron's son).
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Return to Conte Forum