Roy Williams needs to switch to de-caf

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Roy Williams needs to switch to de-caf

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:43 pm

I like Roy, but this was assinine, if its true the kid deserves an apology and a refund. I am sure the UNC fans said worse and got to stay. Roy, take the panites off, I hope you hear worse at Cameron and lose.

Roy Williams kicks out heckling fan at the Dean Dome

With six minutes to go in North Carolina's blowout win over Presbyterian yesterday at The Dean Dome, Roy Williams instructed security personnel to eject a fan who had heckled the Heels' Deon Thompson during a free throw attempt. The man, wearing a Presbyterian shirt and sitting a few rows behind the Carolina bench, yelled "hey Deon, don't miss it!" during the second free throw, which caused Williams to turn around, exchange some words and, eventually, point him out to security. WRAL has video of the incident.

Drunk, profane fans are a menace at games, but there's no indication the ejected party was either of those things. "Hey Deon, don't miss it," is about as tame a taunt as there gets in a college basketball arena. That may be the nicest heckle Deon Thompson hears all season. When the Tar Heels go play at Duke, such a statement might be considered a compliment.

When asked about the move after the game, Williams said:

"I don't think anybody should yell anything negative at our players. Period. Let's don't make it a bigger thing than it is. But I just don't think anybody should yell negative things toward our players (when) you come in on our tickets to watch our game."

Let's not make it a bigger thing than it is? That's easy to say after Roy himself made it a bigger thing by having some cops grab a guy who was rooting for his team in an acceptable (if slightly obnoxious) manner. If the other people sitting around the Presbyterian fan were offended, they could have gone to security themselves. What's a two-time national championship coach doing worrying about what some guy from a tiny little school is saying in a game that his team would end up winning by 39? Isn't this a little beneath Roy Williams?

Because Roy is normally such an affable guy and this came in a meaningless game in the middle of December, there won't be much criticism lobbed his way. There should be. It's was inappropriate for Williams to censor a fan that wasn't breaking any rules. He overstepped his bounds and should be embarrassed about his actions.

Dan Wiederer makes a good point on his blog The Fast Break: If Mike Krzyzewski had ejected a heckler at Cameron Indoor can you imagine what the public outcry would have been? We'd be comparing him to Kim-Jong Il. When good ol' Roy does it, it's folky and home-spun and protective of his players.

It's a little thing and, in the long run, not a big deal. On most nights, Roy Williams is as classy a man as there is in college basketball. Saturday, as we all do sometimes, he slipped up.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Re: Roy Williams needs to switch to de-caf

Postby IWentToBC09 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Imagine if Al had done this at the Harvard game? That one guy actually got an Fck You from the student section.
IWentToBC09
n00b

Postby ObserverCollege on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 pm

D'oh, Duchesne already covered this--I hadn't seen it the first time. My mistake of course. I just wanted to ensure people understand that you do not mess with Roy Williams, or he will bring it to you like you've never had it brought before.

Best,
OC
Shake down the Thunder!!!
ObserverCollege
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:38 pm

A true gentleman as yourself deserves to be exalted.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Roy Williams is just killing my fantasy team this year.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Ole Roy is always portrayed as the aw shucks good guy in the Tobacco Road rivalry, but from what I understand, he and Coach K are more alike than the media lets you believe. It's just Roy treats the press as his friend and K views them as the enemy. UNC and Duke's athletic dept tightly control press access on every level when it comes to their teams. The only difference is Roy will give you some good quotes in a folksy accent that plays well on TV.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:07 pm

And when am I wrong? Well, except for that time I thought the cop was a prostitute. But in media discussions... when am I wrong? Besides that time I thought Dan Rather and Connie Chung would totally be down for something weird if asked in a certain manner. Other than that, though... I mean... yeah.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Return to Conte Forum