Official BC-URI "They'd Better Fucking Win This Game" Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official BC-URI "They'd Better Fucking Win This Game" Thread

Postby Hunta518 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Hunta518 {l Wrote}:I can't wait to see BC's name on selection sunday... in the signature win column at least 2 times if not 3

it wil be ashame that that graphic will be accompanied by the 4-6 "bad losses" that left this team out of the tounament.

I'm pretty sure he meant signature wins for URI, UNI, etc.

yupppp :chewbanka
Hunta518
Campion Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:57 pm

3-17 from 3 tonight (17.6%) And a lot of those 3s were absolutely uncontested.

How is this not a problem TDW? We have no jump shooters whatsoever outside of Roche, and he only shoots when he has to.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:01 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I miss the guys that told me how good Trapani is. Bring those guys back. There is your sixth man.

Assume Trapani's season stays this poor. Other than him, who gets the blame. I ask because the football coaches were (rightfully) blamed when our OL regressed this year.

Difference is it is the same staff. Any regression is his. He is just missing shots he used to make.

Ok, just checking. To recap:

Unexpected success = coaching 'em up.
Failure to improve/regression = player's fault.

I think this comment makes the ridiculous "TW = Al Merryman" a lot more legit.

This is a horrible, horrible showing.

You compared to the OLine. The OLine changed staffs and schemes. Trapani did not. He just started missing.

If the OLine regressed in the same coaching staff, that wouldn't have been on the coaches. Feel free to use more retarded analogies.

OK, I'll do my best in the future. Looks like you are just about alone defending Skinner for this team's performance this year.

I realize you have enough goodwill from football that many won't go at it with you, but it's painfully obvious that this team isn't just doing poorly, they are a disaster. Consecutive home losses to Harvard and URI? Holy shit! I'm not calling for a knee jerk firing: I'm calling Skinner out for a horrible performance this season.

I like that you retards translate "he doesn't deserve to be fired" into "defending Al"

Makes me laugh. "The sky is not blue, must be red then. Nope, there are no other colors. Fuck it, I am one of 3 BC hoop fans."

You love the term retard, don't you? While you're laughing, put in your Haden jersey and kick the stool out from underneath yourself.

Explain how "not thinking someone should be fired" equates to "defending everything a coach does."

Didn't think so.

And get back to me in two years when we find out where Josh Haden is playing. But for a bunch of guys that want Al fired, I assume you are pissed at the mediocrity that was BC football this season right? Fire Spaz?

I don't expect you to remember what I post, but I was indeed upset with 8-4, but more for how those 4 games were lost. I predicted 9-3 going into the season (the only game I had wrong was ND), so being 1 game off I wasn't furious. That said, I see no basis for confidence that BC can win an ACC title with Spaz at the helm. I don't expect him to be fired but I'll be pissed if he's still coaching 2 years from now.

Well we agree on football exactly then.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:02 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:3-17 from 3 tonight (17.6%) And a lot of those 3s were absolutely uncontested.

How is this not a problem TDW? We have no jump shooters whatsoever outside of Roche, and he only shoots when he has to.

It was almost worse than that versus Miami.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:02 pm

dixieagle {l Wrote}:I just happened to turn on the TV and saw the last few seconds of the game. Did we really lose by 11 to URI??? What is happening? This is completely ridiculous.

Damn it Dixie....we have discipline...we may not look disciplined on the gridiron and hardwood, but by golly, we got discipline....not any big football wins this year, or beating any really good teams in basketball, but we are very, very disciplined..

About 6-7 years ago someone hung that Discipline Noose around BC's neck like an albatross to make sad, pathetic excuses for Toblunders0-13 and his bad coaching and staff incompetence and now we have it for lazy Aloof Barcolounger Skinner like his fashion turtleneck. --74
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I miss the guys that told me how good Trapani is. Bring those guys back. There is your sixth man.

Assume Trapani's season stays this poor. Other than him, who gets the blame. I ask because the football coaches were (rightfully) blamed when our OL regressed this year.

Difference is it is the same staff. Any regression is his. He is just missing shots he used to make.

Ok, just checking. To recap:

Unexpected success = coaching 'em up.
Failure to improve/regression = player's fault.

I think this comment makes the ridiculous "TW = Al Merryman" a lot more legit.

This is a horrible, horrible showing.

You compared to the OLine. The OLine changed staffs and schemes. Trapani did not. He just started missing.

If the OLine regressed in the same coaching staff, that wouldn't have been on the coaches. Feel free to use more retarded analogies.

OK, I'll do my best in the future. Looks like you are just about alone defending Skinner for this team's performance this year.

I realize you have enough goodwill from football that many won't go at it with you, but it's painfully obvious that this team isn't just doing poorly, they are a disaster. Consecutive home losses to Harvard and URI? Holy shit! I'm not calling for a knee jerk firing: I'm calling Skinner out for a horrible performance this season.

I like that you retards translate "he doesn't deserve to be fired" into "defending Al"

Makes me laugh. "The sky is not blue, must be red then. Nope, there are no other colors. Fuck it, I am one of 3 BC hoop fans."

You love the term retard, don't you? While you're laughing, put in your Haden jersey and kick the stool out from underneath yourself.

Explain how "not thinking someone should be fired" equates to "defending everything a coach does."

Didn't think so.

And get back to me in two years when we find out where Josh Haden is playing. But for a bunch of guys that want Al fired, I assume you are pissed at the mediocrity that was BC football this season right? Fire Spaz?

I don't expect you to remember what I post, but I was indeed upset with 8-4, but more for how those 4 games were lost. I predicted 9-3 going into the season (the only game I had wrong was ND), so being 1 game off I wasn't furious. That said, I see no basis for confidence that BC can win an ACC title with Spaz at the helm. I don't expect him to be fired but I'll be pissed if he's still coaching 2 years from now.

Well we agree on football exactly then.

and yet Al's mediocrity is perfectly acceptable. I get it.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:07 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:3-17 from 3 tonight (17.6%) And a lot of those 3s were absolutely uncontested.

It was almost worse than that versus Miami.

3-18 versus Miami. 3-11 versus Michgan. 0-10 versus Providence

I can go back further if you like. Good thing we didn't need them in those games. It'll matter in ACC play, and it's pretty clear that it matters now.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 pm

I disagree that Al has been mediocre. So, no, we don't disagree. If he were mediocre, we'd agree.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I disagree that Al has been mediocre. So, no, we don't disagree. If he were mediocre, we'd agree.

how many sweet 16s in 14 years is medicore? Is it 0?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Postseason success doesn't mean anything!!!!11111!!!!
Last edited by claver2010 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I disagree that Al has been mediocre. So, no, we don't disagree. If he were mediocre, we'd agree.

How many Elite Eights? How many Thrusting 32s? I love the arbitrariness of your cut off. I bet you are the guy buying whatever it is that Christina Aguilera is selling.

So making it one more game is the cut off because CBS came up with a cute name.

7 of 9 tourneys. Not mediocre.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

How many Elite Eights? How many Thrusting 32s? I love the arbitrariness of your cut off. I bet you are the guy buying whatever it is that Christina Aguilera is selling.

So making it one more game is the cut off because CBS came up with a cute name.

7 of 9 tourneys. Not mediocre.

Then what happens once we make the Tournament?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:10 pm

We agree on this point. Al Skinner's entire body of work with BC is far from mediocre. He's had success in the regular season, occasionally having tremendous success. He's won regular season conference titles (yes, plural) and the BE tourney. His teams consistently make the field of 64. He's either an excellent talent evaluator or brilliant at coaching up talent (depends on who you ask).

That being said, while you deride how arbitrary the NCAA tourney is organized, Al's sample size is large enough that criticism is warranted. As Logi rightfully pointed out earlier this week, he doesn't have a signature win in the tourney (I'd actually pick the epic comeback over Pacific), but does have at least one bad loss (UWM) and several winnable games that could have really satiated this crew (Nova, G-Town and GTech).
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:52 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

We agree on this point. Al Skinner's entire body of work with BC is far from mediocre. He's had success in the regular season, occasionally having tremendous success. He's won regular season conference titles (yes, plural) and the BE tourney. His teams consistently make the field of 64. He's either an excellent talent evaluator or brilliant at coaching up talent (depends on who you ask).

That being said, while you deride how arbitrary the NCAA tourney is organized, Al's sample size is large enough that criticism is warranted. As Logi rightfully pointed out earlier this week, he doesn't have a signature win in the tourney (I'd actually pick the epic comeback over Pacific), but does have at least one bad loss (UWM) and several winnable games that could have really satiated this crew (Nova, G-Town and GTech).

In all of those close NCAA losses his teams panicked and made huge mistakes costing us those games. Harley going for the layup down 3, captain oates giving the ball to the georgetown player (who i believe was very polite when he asked him for it), the players keep changing the but the end result is the same, they go full retard. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:09 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

In all of those close NCAA losses his teams panicked and made huge mistakes costing us those games. Harley going for the layup down 3, captain oates giving the ball to the georgetown player (who i believe was very polite when he asked him for it), the players keep changing the but the end result is the same, they go full retard. :ace

The Harley team was terrible and overachieved to epic proportions. The Smith team lost to the #3 team in the country. And the Dudley team lost to 2 seed and final four participant G'Town without *** *******. Another Al team lost to a GT team that was the national runner up.

The only horrible loss was Wisconsin Milwaukee. But then, the Sweet 16 should be an expectation given the kind of talent that Al has. Or wait, is it that he can't recruit top players, I forget? But then, isn't he coaching good to get the bad players there? But no, the players actually turned out to be good despite the coaching. So the recruiting must be really good.

I am so confused.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:29 am

The Harley team was terrible and overachieved to epic proportions. The Smith team lost to the #3 team in the country. And the Dudley team lost to 2 seed and final four participant G'Town without *** *******. Another Al team lost to a GT team that was the national runner up.

The only horrible loss was Wisconsin Milwaukee. But then, the Sweet 16 should be an expectation given the kind of talent that Al has. Or wait, is it that he can't recruit top players, I forget? But then, isn't he coaching good to get the bad players there? But no, the players actually turned out to be good despite the coaching. So the recruiting must be really good.

I am so confused.[/quote]

You go merryman! I never said Al was a bad recruiter. I think he is very good or someone on his staff is very good at identifying talent for the most part. Steve Hailey may have been the worst player I have ever watched get real minutes at BC but that has more to do with Al not wanting a PG who can shoot from beyond 3 feet from the basket. The other caveat being this talent does not necessarily fit his jv league offense but there is talent. So if he can not go very far because his players suck, who brings in those players? Congratulations you have now run through the entire merryman excuse book. I am not even mad I am impressed! Do me a favor and hold your breath until Al hires an experienced assistant or former coach to help actually coach the team. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:The Harley team was terrible and overachieved to epic proportions. The Smith team lost to the #3 team in the country. And the Dudley team lost to 2 seed and final four participant G'Town without *** *******. Another Al team lost to a GT team that was the national runner up.

I am so confused.

You go merryman! I never said Al was a bad recruiter. I think he is very good or someone on his staff is very good at identifying talent for the most part. Steve Hailey may have been the worst player I have ever watched get real minutes at BC but that has more to do with Al not wanting a PG who can shoot from beyond 3 feet from the basket. The other caveat being this talent does not necessarily fit his jv league offense but there is talent. So if he can not go very far because his players suck, who brings in those players? Congratulations you have now run through the entire merryman excuse book. I am not even mad I am impressed! Do me a favor and hold your breath until Al hires an experienced assistant or former coach to help actually coach the team. :ace[/quote]

I think you're excluding John Oates and Tyler Roche from this discussion, who are the two worst BC Basketball players I can ever remember. I'm excited for next year's team solely because Tyler Roche is graduating.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum