Breaking News: Sanders Doesn't Fix This Teams Problem!

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Breaking News: Sanders Doesn't Fix This Teams Problem!

Postby EagleDave on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Everyone wants to blame either Al Skinner or the absence of Rakim Sanders for the loss to Harvard last night. I'll leave the Skinner thing alone for the sake of this post.

But, people who think that Rakim Sanders returning makes this team infinitely better are kidding themselves. This teams problem is not its ability to put the ball in the basket. They've done that quite well to this point with Reggie Jackson doing more things than Sanders can and will do (scoring AND rebounding/passing). This teams problem is DEFENSE. Nobody on the team (Jackson included) could guard you or me at this point on the perimeter and there isn't a shot blocker ala *** ******* or Tyrelle Blair back there to erase those mistakes on defense. Sanders returning doesn't help that. In fact, it likely exacerbates it. Forget just this team, Rakim might be the worst defensive player in Division 1 basketball.

If this team doesn't improve defensively, especially against even semi-decent teams they've got no shot. The Michigan and Providence wins were mirages. Both of those teams did nothing but bomb away from deep (at least 60 3's between them). It's pretty clear that any team that tries to take the ball into the paint can beat BC without breaking a sweat.

BC is not better with Sanders, because he's an extension of their problems. That is all.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Re: Breaking News: Sanders Doesn't Fix This Teams Problem!

Postby apbc12 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:57 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Everyone wants to blame either Al Skinner or the absence of Rakim Sanders for the loss to Harvard last night. I'll leave the Skinner thing alone for the sake of this post.

But, people who think that Rakim Sanders returning makes this team infinitely better are kidding themselves. This teams problem is not its ability to put the ball in the basket. They've done that quite well to this point with Reggie Jackson doing more things than Sanders can and will do (scoring AND rebounding/passing). This teams problem is DEFENSE. Nobody on the team (Jackson included) could guard you or me at this point on the perimeter and there isn't a shot blocker ala *** ******* or Tyrelle Blair back there to erase those mistakes on defense. Sanders returning doesn't help that. In fact, it likely exacerbates it. Forget just this team, Rakim might be the worst defensive player in Division 1 basketball.

If this team doesn't improve defensively, especially against even semi-decent teams they've got no shot. The Michigan and Providence wins were mirages. Both of those teams did nothing but bomb away from deep (at least 60 3's between them). It's pretty clear that any team that tries to take the ball into the paint can beat BC without breaking a sweat.

BC is not better with Sanders, because he's an extension of their problems. That is all.

You're insane. Sanders was the best on-ball defender on the roster each of the last two years. Biko is next. Jackson has terrible defensive fundamentals but makes up for it with athleticism.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:05 pm

That's absolutely false. Sanders can not guard anyone on the ball. Exhibit A...Gerald Henderson in the ACC Tournament...his El Toro routine at the end of that game was about as bad defensively as it gets.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:14 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:That's absolutely false. Sanders can not guard anyone on the ball. Exhibit A...Gerald Henderson in the ACC Tournament...his El Toro routine at the end of that game was about as bad defensively as it gets.

And Allen Iverson got Michael Jordan twice in about five seconds. That doesn't change the fact that Michael Jordan was one of the best defensive players in the NBA for 15 years. Sanders is absolutely a better man-to-man defender than everyone else on our team. He has good fundamentals, usually works reasonably hard, and has the athleticism to guard three or four positions. He's not perfect, and he's probably not among the best 10 defenders in the conference. But he's still the best we have.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:18 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:But, people who think that Rakim Sanders returning makes this team infinitely better are kidding themselves. This teams problem is not its ability to put the ball in the basket. They've done that quite well to this point with Reggie Jackson doing more things than Sanders can and will do (scoring AND rebounding/passing).

I agree the defense has been horrid, but to say they haven't had trouble putting the ball in the basket when the team has shot 34.5% and 37.5% in the last two games is retarded.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:20 pm

Incidentally though, you're somewhat right about him not fixing the team defensive problems. When we play guys like Lin--guys who are good at getting into the lane and smart with the ball--we'll struggle. Southern is a good post defender, but doesn't have the foot or hand speed to adequately cover a driving guard. Dunn is better, but still not very good, and Raji is a clueless weakside defender, making the rotation problems worse.

You are partially wrong about the offense. We usually don't have a problem scoring in the first half, but when games get tight the guys tend to stand around looking at each other, wondering who's going to step up. Reggie did a good job of it against Miami, but didn't really show up last night until it was way, way too late. Sanders should solve that problem. He should also help the other guys get open shots.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:28 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Incidentally though, you're somewhat right about him not fixing the team defensive problems. When we play guys like Lin--guys who are good at getting into the lane and smart with the ball--we'll struggle. Southern is a good post defender, but doesn't have the foot or hand speed to adequately cover a driving guard. Dunn is better, but still not very good, and Raji is a clueless weakside defender, making the rotation problems worse.

You are partially wrong about the offense. We usually don't have a problem scoring in the first half, but when games get tight the guys tend to stand around looking at each other, wondering who's going to step up. Reggie did a good job of it against Miami, but didn't really show up last night until it was way, way too late. Sanders should solve that problem. He should also help the other guys get open shots.

next time I hear that southern is a good defender I am going to puke. He is an absolutely shitty defensive player. I don't know what people who think he has one redeeming quality are watching.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Allow me to rephrase. This team offensively doesn't have issues GETTING good shots...they rarely make them...but they get mostly whatever they want. And I'm among the group that thinks sending Jackson to the bench could be shortsighted considering Jackson's passing and rebounding skills are far beyond anyone on the team. Not to mention his speed and athleticism give the Eagles a penetrating presence the likes of which haven't been seen here since Troy Bell. He's the reason they've won these games to this point and bringing him off the bench for 20-25 minutes could be a recipe for trouble (don't kid yourself, Skinner will "forget" about him on the bench like he did Trapani, Jackson's minutes will decrease dramatically).

Unless Al breaks the mold and goes small, I think they'll struggle even more so. I've always felt like their best lineup would be Paris, Jackson, Sanders, Raji, Trap. I doubt we'll ever see it though

Also, lest we all forget, Sanders is almost as abysmal a free throw shooter as everyone else on the team...not much change in the lineup I don't think...
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Incidentally though, you're somewhat right about him not fixing the team defensive problems. When we play guys like Lin--guys who are good at getting into the lane and smart with the ball--we'll struggle. Southern is a good post defender, but doesn't have the foot or hand speed to adequately cover a driving guard. Dunn is better, but still not very good, and Raji is a clueless weakside defender, making the rotation problems worse.

next time I hear that southern is a good defender I am going to puke. He is an absolutely shitty defensive player. I don't know what people who think he has one redeeming quality are watching.

It's not my problem you don't know the difference between post defense and non-post defense. I'm not going to explain it to you.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:54 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

It's not my problem you don't know the difference between post defense and non-post defense. I'm not going to explain it to you.

you mean that post defense where he gave up a double double to a scrub last night.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

you mean that post defense where he gave up a double double to a scrub last night.

Did you watch the game? I don't mean Gametracker, I don't mean look at the box score. I mean actually watch the game as it was happening.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:00 pm

In Eagledoms defense, it's hard to watch a game anywhere but on gametracker when you play nothing but scrubs for the first 2 months of the season and the games aren't on TV...zing
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:23 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}: Southern is a good post defender

And the Easter Bunny is also real apparently. Sanders also reaches way too much and doesn't move his feet at all thus gets into foul trouble on defense. Rakim will help, but not at the defensive side of the floor.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

He's good at making me throw my remote or some other object at the wall a few times per game when he does his Mr. Roboto impression on both ends of the floor.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:43 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Did you watch the game? I don't mean Gametracker, I don't mean look at the box score. I mean actually watch the game as it was happening.

yes, as a matter of fact I did. I watched it through the link on this board.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:51 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:but when games get tight the guys tend to stand around looking at each other, wondering who's going to step up. Reggie did a good job of it against Miami, but didn't really show up last night until it was way, way too late. Sanders should solve that problem. He should also help the other guys get open shots.

This is key. Last night, even with 7-8 minutes left it didn't look like anyone wanted to be the one to shoot - not to mention they spent 28 seconds 19 feet or further from the hoop.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:54 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:but when games get tight the guys tend to stand around looking at each other, wondering who's going to step up. Reggie did a good job of it against Miami, but didn't really show up last night until it was way, way too late. Sanders should solve that problem. He should also help the other guys get open shots.

This is key. Last night, even with 7-8 minutes left it didn't look like anyone wanted to be the one to shoot - not to mention they spent 28 seconds 19 feet or further from the hoop.

It's the "4 Guys Watching the PG" offense that drove everyone nuts last year. I think they're trying to eat clock, but they end up rushing through their passes and forcing a bad shot or turning it over trying to make something happen. At least last year the ball was in Rice's hands, who could create his own if needed. This year, we have Biko. I like Biko, but he doesn't create his own shot. It should be in Reggie or Rakim's hands when he returns if we're going to do this.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Then you would have seen that all the points that the scrub scored against him last night were from quick passes where he had to step up after penetration and NOT in the post. I'm not going to go as far as saying Southern is a good post defender, but he also only played 20 minutes last night - so putting all 21 points scored by a guy who played 31 minutes on Southern is ridiculous. Plus no one on Harvard had a double double - so what the hell are you talking about?

Everyone knows where you stand, but celebrating the misery and exaggerating the facts are completely irrelevant to any analysis whatsoever and simply make you look like a douche.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:56 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

That was an issue last night, but to me the bigger issue was the complete lack of defense. From the point there was 12 minutes left until the very end, Lin took the ball from the top of the key, dribbled for a few seconds to use the clock, then penetrated and either took it for an easy layup or dished it off for an easy layup because of horrible interior defense. Remember...this is HARVARD we could NOT STOP. So what does Al do? Does he switch from Man to Zone? Does he go to a 3/4 court trap? Does he use some full court pressure? Does he change ANYTHING? Nope. Priceless.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:01 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

That was an issue last night, but to me the bigger issue was the complete lack of defense. From the point there was 12 minutes left until the very end, Lin took the ball from the top of the key, dribbled for a few seconds to use the clock, then penetrated and either took it for an easy layup or dished it off for an easy layup because of horrible interior defense. Remember...this is HARVARD we could NOT STOP. So what does Al do? Does he switch from Man to Zone? Does he go to a 3/4 court trap? Does he use some full court pressure? Does he change ANYTHING? Nope. Priceless.

I didn't say the above statement was a bigger issue than defense. I was mentioning it as another problem.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Either way, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. If you didn't watch it, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about because you have no basis for speaking. If you did watch it, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about because you clearly know jack shit about basketball. That guy scored 0 points posting up Southern. He got almost all his points on wide open layups in two situations: (1) when Southern had to cover someone coming down the lane because Jackson, Trapani and Roche were getting abused, and the guy would leave the ball for Southern's man; or (2) on a wide open weakside putback because your boy Raji was standing around staring into space because he has no idea what he's doing on defense.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

3/4 court trap? I agree the coaching sucks but with Trapani and Southern out there, we would have been doing this by full court pressing or 3/4 trapping.

:whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:11 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Either way, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. If you didn't watch it, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about because you have no basis for speaking. If you did watch it, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about because you clearly know jack shit about basketball. That guy scored 0 points posting up Southern. He got almost all his points on wide open layups in two situations: (1) when Southern had to cover someone coming down the lane because Jackson, Trapani and Roche were getting abused, and the guy would leave the ball for Southern's man; or (2) on a wide open weakside putback because your boy Raji was standing around staring into space because he has no idea what he's doing on defense.

Our team defense is so bad. Southern isn't good but no one else should get a free pass, they're all awful on defense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Our team defense is so bad. Southern isn't good but no one else should get a free pass, they're all awful on defense.

I've already acknowledged that. Southern knows what he's supposed to do, but he rotates too slowly. Most of the other guys just get lazy when the ball isn't directly in front of them, but I really don't think Raji has any clue what he's supposed to do when the ball is on the other side of the floor.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:17 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

3/4 court trap? I agree the coaching sucks but with Trapani and Southern out there, we would have been doing this by full court pressing or 3/4 trapping.

:whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag

Well, I have a quick solution for that. Get fucking Southern off the court.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:19 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

I've already acknowledged that. Southern knows what he's supposed to do, but he rotates too slowly. Most of the other guys just get lazy when the ball isn't directly in front of them, but I really don't think Raji has any clue what he's supposed to do when the ball is on the other side of the floor.

Yes, because southern IS SLOW. And he's slow in the low post guarding one on one also. He is a stiff...an oaf. The fact that you think he's a good defender is fucking hilarious. I'll remember to never take another one of your posts about basketball seriously.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Yes, because southern IS SLOW. And he's slow in the low post guarding one on one also. He is a stiff...an oaf. The fact that you think he's a good defender is fucking hilarious. I'll remember to never take another one of your posts about basketball seriously.

Sure thing, champ. Just watch from now on and see how often someone is effective trying to post up on Southern.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:22 pm

Still trying to find that double double? You didn't really watch the game, did you? It's ok to say yes.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:32 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Still trying to find that double double? You didn't really watch the game, did you? It's ok to say yes.

you're right - no double double....just a career high in points against our sick low post defender.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Still trying to find that double double? You didn't really watch the game, did you? It's ok to say yes.

you're right - no double double....just a career high in points against our sick low post defender.

You definitely didn't watch the game. I wish you weren't a liar.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum