Skinner Defenders Defend This

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Skinner Defenders Defend This

Postby 15Radnor on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Let's hear it here.

How can you proclaim "Ever to Excel" for football but accept this mediocrity?
94, thanks for the motivation!
15Radnor
Carney Hall

Re: Skinner Defenders Defend This

Postby Logitano on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:29 pm

15Radnor {l Wrote}:Let's here it.

I am amused that often the biggest haters of the direction of the football program are the al skinner merrymen. It really makes no sense how they want a BCS Bowl from one sport and are over the moon with a top half finish in the ACC and first weekend exit from the NCAA's. The skinner merrymen in many ways are just as bad as the football ones. I think both programs underachieve equally. That is why I rule! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
15Radnor {l Wrote}:Let's here it.

I am amused that often the biggest haters of the direction of the football program are the al skinner merrymen. It really makes no sense how they want a BCS Bowl from one sport and are over the moon with a top half finish in the ACC and first weekend exit from the NCAA's. The skinner merrymen in many ways are just as bad as the football ones. I think both programs underachieve equally. That is why I rule! :ace

I think he's looking at you TWB, Bomberman, Cadillac, FagTalon, et al.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:44 pm

He's looking at me. Skinner is a good coach with faults, like I have always said. Comparing football to basketball is a fucking retarded move that only Radnor and his failed blog would make. You knee jerk fucking losers amuse me. BC is playing without their best player, what did you expect? I am surprised that your boy Raji didn't take over tonight, he is such a hustler after all.

UNC lost to Santa Clara the year they won the national title. It is hoop not football. Get a fucking grip.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He's looking at me. Skinner is a good coach with faults, like I have always said. Comparing football to basketball is a fucking retarded move that only Radnor and his failed blog would make. You knee jerk fucking losers amuse me. BC is playing without their best player, what did you expect? I am surprised that your boy Raji didn't take over tonight, he is such a hustler after all.

UNC lost to Santa Clara the year they won the national title. It is hoop not football. Get a fucking grip.

I am not in meltdown mode but that is a Tobias excuse if I've ever heard one. This team was from the fucking Ivy league.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:53 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He's looking at me. Skinner is a good coach with faults, like I have always said. Comparing football to basketball is a fucking retarded move that only Radnor and his failed blog would make. You knee jerk fucking losers amuse me. BC is playing without their best player, what did you expect? I am surprised that your boy Raji didn't take over tonight, he is such a hustler after all.

I am not in meltdown mode but that is a Tobias excuse if I've ever heard one. This team was from the fucking Ivy league.

Tobias never lost the best 20% of his team at one time. Basketball is not football. This is not hard. With Jared Dudley out, BC lost to Duquesne a few years ago.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Tobias never lost the best 20% of his team at one time. Basketball is not football. This is not hard. With Jared Dudley out, BC lost to Duquesne a few years ago.

You are telling me that losing your best player in the best conference in the nation is an excuse for losing to a team from one of the worst conferences in the nation?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 pm

I am a major Skinner apologist, but this sucks. People can bitch about the press or inbounds or whatever. The challenge has been pretty simple -- for too long we've had no consistent defensive scheme. We need the defensive equivalent of the flex.

Yet I will still preach patience with Al. He is a great head coach. He's a much better strategist and has a much better eye for talent than anyone we've had in the football offices over the same time period.

As TWB said, basketball season are long and have WTFs. I still think this team makes the tourney.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:04 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I am a major Skinner apologist, but this sucks. People can bitch about the press or inbounds or whatever. The challenge has been pretty simple -- for too long we've had no consistent defensive scheme. We need the defensive equivalent of the flex.

Yet I will still preach patience with Al. He is a great head coach. He's a much better strategist and has a much better eye for talent than anyone we've had in the football offices over the same time period.

As TWB said, basketball season are long and have WTFs. I still think this team makes the tourney.

I fully agree that we will make the tourney; it's just games like this that kill us in first round matchups.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:06 pm

I was about to post this in another thread but is simply "making the tourney" acceptable with this team?

In my eyes no.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 15Radnor on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:07 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I was about to post this in another thread but is simply "making the tourney" acceptable with this team?

In my eyes no.

No, it is not. The motto is "Ever to Excel." Get me past the Sweet 16 for the first time in 13 years.
15Radnor
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:14 pm

15Radnor {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:I was about to post this in another thread but is simply "making the tourney" acceptable with this team?

In my eyes no.

No, it is not. The motto is "Ever to Excel." Get me past the Sweet 16 for the first time in 13 years.

So the only acceptable result is being on the top 16 of 330 teams? In a real sport where you have to win 2 straight games against the best 20% of teams in the country just to get there? Got it.

And yes, losing your best player is a legit excuse in basketball. Period. But then, you all love Raji, did he step up today?

I had no doubts that this team was going to struggle without Sanders. It was the only guy that could not afford to be out for multiple games. He has missed 9.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
15Radnor {l Wrote}:

In my eyes no.

So the only acceptable result is being on the top 16 of 330 teams? In a real sport where you have to win 2 straight games against the best 20% of teams in the country just to get there? Got it.

And yes, losing your best player is a legit excuse in basketball. Period. But then, you all love Raji, did he step up today?

I had no doubts that this team was going to struggle without Sanders. It was the only guy that could not afford to be out for multiple games. He has missed 9.

1. I do not love Raji. I have gotten killed for saying that. People thought he had cured his layup problems against Michigan. Not true. So again, all you who were killing me, STFU.
2. Losing your best player is not always a legit excuse in basketball. If UNC lost their best player, would it be acceptable if they lost to NJIT?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:23 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
15Radnor {l Wrote}:

In my eyes no.

1. I do not love Raji. I have gotten killed for saying that. People thought he had cured his layup problems against Michigan. Not true. So again, all you who were killing me, STFU.
2. Losing your best player is not always a legit excuse in basketball. If UNC lost their best player, would it be acceptable if they lost to NJIT?

Wouls it be acceptable for UNC to lose to Santa Clara without losing their best player? What if they went on to win the National Title? And BC is not nor ever will be, no matter the coach, UNC. That doesn't mean they can't "excel".

The Raji comment wasn't directed at you.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:24 pm

Look, a loss to Harvard can't be defended. With Sanders or without, BC should beat Harvard every time. Lin might--and I do mean might--be better than everyone on our team, but after that, I don't think anyone on their team would crack the rotation at BC.

That said, one indefensible loss doesn't mean you need to fire the coach immediately. If you weren't actively calling for his head at 7:00 tonight, you should probably just shut the fuck up about firing Skinner. Take a deep breath, let the season progress. I think we'll see a lot of improvement from now to March.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
15Radnor {l Wrote}:

In my eyes no.

Wouls it be acceptable for UNC to lose to Santa Clara without losing their best player? What if they went on to win the National Title? And BC is not nor ever will be, no matter the coach, UNC. That doesn't mean they can't "excel".

The Raji comment wasn't directed at you.

It wouldn't be acceptable even if they went on to win 4 straight titles. I'm not asking whether or not we can still do well this year because I know we can. I don't understand how losing Rakim made this acceptable.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:32 pm

If Rakim Sanders were healthy, BC would have one loss and would have blown the fucking doors off of Miami and Michigan. You can't take a cog like that off of a team and not expect fall out. He will be the go-to guy this season. He would have scored 20 tonight and against Saint Joes.

And by the way, I think the UNC fans can live with that Santa Clara loss a few years ago.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If Rakim Sanders were healthy, BC would have one loss and would have blown the fucking doors off of Miami and Michigan. You can't take a cog like that off of a team and not expect fall out. He will be the go-to guy this season. He would have scored 20 tonight and against Saint Joes.

Why do you say that? A full strength BC lost to Harvard & St. Louis...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 15Radnor on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If Rakim Sanders were healthy, BC would have one loss and would have blown the fucking doors off of Miami and Michigan. You can't take a cog like that off of a team and not expect fall out. He will be the go-to guy this season. He would have scored 20 tonight and against Saint Joes.

And by the way, I think the UNC fans can live with that Santa Clara loss a few years ago.

The same BC team (maybe better with Tyrese--that is debatable) lost to Harvard.

DURR. Because UNC has has advanced further than the Sweet 16 past then (they won it twice). WTF is your point?
15Radnor
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:36 pm

1. You can't make a statement like that. Last time I checked he was healthy when we lost to them and St. Louis last year.
2. You still haven't explained how a loss to an Ivy League team is acceptable without him, especially AFTER we have proven we can beat major teams on the road without him.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:37 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Look, a loss to Harvard can't be defended. With Sanders or without, BC should beat Harvard every time. Lin might--and I do mean might--be better than everyone on our team, but after that, I don't think anyone on their team would crack the rotation at BC.

That said, one indefensible loss doesn't mean you need to fire the coach immediately. If you weren't actively calling for his head at 7:00 tonight, you should probably just shut the fuck up about firing Skinner. Take a deep breath, let the season progress. I think we'll see a lot of improvement from now to March.

Well said. Exalt.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:40 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I am a major Skinner apologist, but this sucks. People can bitch about the press or inbounds or whatever. The challenge has been pretty simple -- for too long we've had no consistent defensive scheme. We need the defensive equivalent of the flex.

Not to rain on your apology parade but most GREAT head coaches would have had at least one upset win in the NCAA tournament by now. The most telling thing about Al is that his teams get upset but never pull off the upset. A GREAT head coach does not need completely superior talent just to squeak by the 1st round.
And for teddyballgame who I have always respected the opinion of you do not see the irony of the fact that you say the exact same bullshit that tobias merrymen say but say it for Al? After 12 season we should all be in agreement that the lack of Sanders was not why BC lost to Harvard tonight. To say otherwise is total crap and shows a very low college basketball IQ. It is just a knee jerk defense of Al without any real analysis. Just sayin is all. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:40 pm

The Sanders excuse is awful. Didn't know Al Skinner posted on this board. IT'S HARVARD. We shouldn't be losing to Harvard in basketball, ever.

And I'd like to go on record and say if Skinner doesn't get in the way of this team, we're still going to make the Tourney despite the shitty coaching.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:44 pm

15Radnor {l Wrote}:

The same BC team (maybe better with Tyrese--that is debatable) lost to Harvard.

DURR. Because UNC has has advanced further than the Sweet 16 past then (they won it twice). WTF is your point?

It is not the same team. This team is better than last year's team. They lost the ball hog and players (Raji for obvious example) have greatly improved.

My point is that your whole point is based on making it to the Final Four. I think it is cute that you think BC is that kind of program that they can set that as an expectation.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Not to rain on your apology parade but most GREAT head coaches would have had at least one upset win in the NCAA tournament by now. The most telling thing about Al is that his teams get upset but never pull off the upset. A GREAT head coach does not need completely superior talent just to squeak by the 1st round.
And for teddyballgame who I have always respected the opinion of you do not see the irony of the fact that you say the exact same bullshit that tobias merrymen say but say it for Al? After 12 season we should all be in agreement that the lack of Sanders was not why BC lost to Harvard tonight. To say otherwise is total crap and shows a very low college basketball IQ. It is just a knee jerk defense of Al without any real analysis. Just sayin is all. :ace

Yeah, Al's teams never pull off an upset. Shit, I can't remember one last season.

Football is not basketball. I refuse to explain it again. Just read what ATL said.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:47 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The Sanders excuse is awful. Didn't know Al Skinner posted on this board. IT'S HARVARD. We shouldn't be losing to Harvard in basketball, ever.

And I'd like to go on record and say if Skinner doesn't get in the way of this team, we're still going to make the Tourney despite the shitty coaching.

Top 15 UConn only beat Harvard by 5 with a healthy team. Discuss.

Didn't think so.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:47 pm

We beat UNC last year and Duke. Great wins, Al coached really well.

The thing that infuriates me is that we keep losing these ridiculous games. I guess the more I think about it, all I want is a little bit of consistency. More consistency from the coaching staff and from the players.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:49 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:We beat UNC last year and Duke. Great wins, Al coached really well.

The thing that infuriates me is that we keep losing these ridiculous games. I guess the more I think about it, all I want is a little bit of consistency. More consistency from the coaching staff and from the players.

Without Sanders, neither this nor UNI was ridiculous. St Joes was ridiculous under any circumstances. Most teams lose 1 or 2 ridiculous games a year. For example, National Champions UNC lost a ridiculous game to BC last season.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:We beat UNC last year and Duke. Great wins, Al coached really well.

Without Sanders, neither this nor UNI was ridiculous. St Joes was ridiculous under any circumstances. Most teams lose 1 or 2 ridiculous games a year. For example, National Champions UNC lost a ridiculous game to BC last season.

UNI is a fine loss, they are good. St. Joe's is worse than Harvard marginally. Harvard still sucks though and we should not be losing to them in basketball.

Comparing BC beating UNC to us repeatedly losing to Harvard is absurd. We actually play in the ACC despite what you saw tonight.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Losing to a 7 seed in the regular season is not a ridiculous loss. Losing to a team that won't make the NIT is.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum