TV for Basketball

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

TV for Basketball

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:45 am

I was just on the BC website, and I'm confused about their TV arrangements. My cable provider (Verizon) has a premium sports package and I'm trying to figure out if it willl alllow me to watch any of the non-ESPN televised games down here in Philly. According to the schedule, some of the games will be broadcast on FSN, RSN and Raycom. I always thought "RSN" just stands for "regional sports network", which in this case is NESN, no? I also thought Raycom games are broadcast on one of the Boston-area TV stations, correct? Finally, is "FSN" Fox Sports North? (Of course, Verizon does not appear to offer that). Any help on what these acroynims mean would be appreciated.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Re: TV for Basketball

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I was just on the BC website, and I'm confused about their TV arrangements. My cable provider (Verizon) has a premium sports package and I'm trying to figure out if it willl alllow me to watch any of the non-ESPN televised games down here in Philly. According to the schedule, some of the games will be broadcast on FSN, RSN and Raycom. I always thought "RSN" just stands for "regional sports network", which in this case is NESN, no? I also thought Raycom games are broadcast on one of the Boston-area TV stations, correct? Finally, is "FSN" Fox Sports North? (Of course, Verizon does not appear to offer that). Any help on what these acroynims mean would be appreciated.

Here is my understanding:

First off, the site is highly inconsistent. Sometimes it says FSN (Fox Sports Network), sometimes NESN - when they both show up on NESN. I suppose the difference is whether NESN is actually producing the broadcast (shows up as NESN) or just taking the feed from Fox Sports Network's affiliate that is (shows up as FSN).

Second, Raycom is on UPN 38 just like football.

Third, I am not sure what RSN is but will try and find out.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Looking at the ACC TV Schedule, there is this note at the bottom:
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/021909aaa.html

RSN (Regional Sports Network) – Comcast Sports Net, FOX Sports Net, FOX Sports Florida, New England Sports

So it looks like RSN means New England Sports Network or it could be Comcast Sports depending on the game.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:23 pm

I was able to watch the NESN games on my dish in manhattan last year (no issues with ACC blackouts like I recall in our first few years in the ACC).
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Return to Conte Forum