Southern

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Southern

Postby auggiebc on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:36 am

despite his clutch basket in crunch time, he was unimpressive last night. he needs to get more aggressive. he's the biggest guy on the floor by far, playing against a team weith ZERO post presence, yet he was invisible most of the game.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Re: Southern

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:40 am

He also needs to stop putting the ball on the floor in the paint. I'm surpirsed that he continues to make such as basic mistake; doesn't reflect well on the coaches.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:08 pm

I have wnated Al Skinner replaced for many, many reasosn all psted here in the last 4 years, including recruiting, but with GDF here our two glamour prorgams are disgustiad.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:13 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:He also needs to stop putting the ball on the floor in the paint. I'm surpirsed that he continues to make such as basic mistake; doesn't reflect well on the coaches.

He put the ball on the floor 3 times last nite, when he could have easily just went up to the basket, and 2 of the 3 times he was stripped. You learn this fundamental in high school. Al was screaming at him. It is very frustrating to see Southern still struggling with basics.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:46 pm

I did not see the game but according to the box Southern had only 4 rebounds while RJ had 12, CR 10 and JT 8. If your big guy can't score consistently - then what is he out there for when he can't lead in rebounding? And if he nearly fouls out of every game he should at least be delivering something for his aggressiveness. The first time you saw him run down the court you could sense there was a problem here. The athleticism is just not there for this level. And to think that Al had two scholarships for 2009 that could have been used on two other trees.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:05 pm

Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:I did not see the game but according to the box Southern had only 4 rebounds while RJ had 12, CR 10 and JT 8. If your big guy can't score consistently - then what is he out there for when he can't lead in rebounding? And if he nearly fouls out of every game he should at least be delivering something for his aggressiveness. The first time you saw him run down the court you could sense there was a problem here. The athleticism is just not there for this level. And to think that Al had two scholarships for 2009 that could have been used on two other trees.

Al doesn't recruit well since he does not travel well.

You see all you stupids, a certain type of kid wants to come to BC (AL"S OWN WORDS!!) and Al doesn't have to do much.

Great Post MUDH20.

Gonzaga gets 4 guys 6'10 +..and we get small white guards from Long Island.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby RyanBC on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:08 am

My respectful disagreement with you, 74, on Skinner is this: look, the guy built a team that had the ability to win a NC. Admittedly, it didn't, but it had the ability.

He can do it again. [needs some bigs].

And I get what 74 is saying.

But... those of you who are killing Skinner by saying that Dudley was "under the radar" and thus doesn't count as a recruit ... and "we only got him" because of the Coleman de-commit ... are conveniently leaving out the fact that Coleman was a big name recruit. Yes, he sucked in the end, but he was highly rated. Ergo, you can't kill Skinner for taking a highly rated recruit who sucked and then when the kid decommits for taking a under the radar replacement who ruled !

Go BC. F Karma.
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:14 am

I'm not sure how much more Skinner can do as it relates to Southern. I was at the game, Skinner was on Southern pretty good. One has to assume Skinner is telling him to stop dribbling in the paint when he is the tallest guy on the floor and has no hands. Southern is simply not showing improvements and it's very frustrating. Providence doesn't have a player taller than Southern's shoulders, yet Southern was non-existant in the paint on both ends of the floor.

I was sitting next to a couple of Providence fans who had zero knowledge of the BC team. They were in disbelief with Southern's play...especially considering his size advantage over everyone else on the floor. At times he looked lost.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:22 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:I did not see the game but according to the box Southern had only 4 rebounds while RJ had 12, CR 10 and JT 8. If your big guy can't score consistently - then what is he out there for when he can't lead in rebounding? And if he nearly fouls out of every game he should at least be delivering something for his aggressiveness. The first time you saw him run down the court you could sense there was a problem here. The athleticism is just not there for this level. And to think that Al had two scholarships for 2009 that could have been used on two other trees.

Al doesn't recruit well since he does not travel well.

You see all you stupids, a certain type of kid wants to come to BC (AL"S OWN WORDS!!) and Al doesn't have to do much.

Great Post MUDH20.

Gonzaga gets 4 guys 6'10 +..and we get small white guards from Long Island.

74 - please stop spreading this misinformation that Al doesn't travel to recruit. There was that recent article on Biko Paris and how Skinner went out to Houston to see the kid play. I am sure there are plenty of other expamples but please stop saying that he doesn't go on the road to recruit because some idiot poster from EI claimed that he never saw Skinner at AAU tournaments.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:24 am

Ryan - Do you honestly believe we are competitive with the likes of Georgetown, Villanova or even Gonzaga? If not - then please explain why we are not on par with them. Also explain why Al could not land a single player on his list for 2009? Is it because BC is an inferior university, with inferior facilities, inferior location - or might it be that Al couldn't sell a steak in Bangladesh?
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:02 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:I'm not sure how much more Skinner can do as it relates to Southern. I was at the game, Skinner was on Southern pretty good. One has to assume Skinner is telling him to stop dribbling in the paint when he is the tallest guy on the floor and has no hands. Southern is simply not showing improvements and it's very frustrating. Providence doesn't have a player taller than Southern's shoulders, yet Southern was non-existant in the paint on both ends of the floor.

I was sitting next to a couple of Providence fans who had zero knowledge of the BC team. They were in disbelief with Southern's play...especially considering his size advantage over everyone else on the floor. At times he looked lost.

Southern's regression as a player is a HUGE issue and its an indictment on Al's ability to coach players up and help them improve. Let's not forget that Sanders hasn't exactly "blossomed" under Al either (although we only have two years of evidence so far with him, and a fair assessment won't be able to be made until after we see how he does this year). Al has reached his ceiling at BC in my opinion and the program looks like it is actually going backwards now.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:17 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:Gonzaga gets 4 guys 6'10 +..and we get small white guards from Long Island.

74 - please stop spreading this misinformation that Al doesn't travel to recruit. There was that recent article on Biko Paris and how Skinner went out to Houston to see the kid play. I am sure there are plenty of other expamples but please stop saying that he doesn't go on the road to recruit because some idiot poster from EI claimed that he never saw Skinner at AAU tournaments.

Ok. I will back off. But look at all the talent that goes to similar Universities and Al and BC and our alums just never contact?

Texas may be one area we go to, but try and go where Gonzaga goes, or Georgetown?

Our big men recruiting has been god awful for 10+ years or more!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:24 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:I'm not sure how much more Skinner can do as it relates to Southern. I was at the game, Skinner was on Southern pretty good. One has to assume Skinner is telling him to stop dribbling in the paint when he is the tallest guy on the floor and has no hands. Southern is simply not showing improvements and it's very frustrating. Providence doesn't have a player taller than Southern's shoulders, yet Southern was non-existant in the paint on both ends of the floor.

Southern's regression as a player is a HUGE issue and its an indictment on Al's ability to coach players up and help them improve. Let's not forget that Sanders hasn't exactly "blossomed" under Al either (although we only have two years of evidence so far with him, and a fair assessment won't be able to be made until after we see how he does this year). Al has reached his ceiling at BC in my opinion and the program looks like it is actually going backwards now.

Right on cue OJ, nice one. You are way too predictable.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMcG on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Southern's "regression" as a player? How exactly has he gotten worse since he arrived at BC? He played little as a freshman and looked like he was in over his head most of the time. As a sophomore, he consistently committed stupid fouls that took him out of the game. A few games into his junior season, he's not perfect but he has demonstrated that he can finish around the basket, hit his free throws, box out, and be somewhat of a presence on defense. If he was everything that some people on this board expect him to be, he'd be in the NBA already. You don't need a superstar big man to win in college. You only need a guy who brings more to the table than he takes away and can stay on the floor.

By the way, I love posts that begin, "I didn't see the game, but I looked at the box score..." You can't beat judgment like that.

Also, who are these awesome big men at Gonzaga and Georgetown?
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby Heights on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:38 pm

I don't think Southern has regressed, he's not going to be an impact big man ever and this has been obvious since he got here. You need certain basic things as a big man like good feet and soft hands, they are missing. Neither can they put him up high in the flex like Al always did with Doornenkamp, who had hands and could catch, pass, and get in position to just steamroll defenders on screens to open up perimeter shots. I'm still baffled how Al thought he would fit in his system at BC.

Al needs self-motivated, high work ethic guys for the system to work, they don't have to be very talented but have to be tougher than the other team. We're a soft team this year, which just doesn't work at BC with Skinner. I've never seen Al so animated and angry during games as he was with this roster last year, lots of giving guys the quick hook with an angry scowl which is not his style. You can usually set your watch by his substitution patterns.

His good teams always have a core of 3-5 guys that are athletic (usually an oddball collection of swingmen and tweeners) and just are fearless, intense, and work like dogs out there. It's never pretty but that's his style. This team has no core like this, something went wrong in recruiting this bunch. Several "nice" players, but that ain't BC basketball.
"We have everyone on our 2010 schedule but the New England Patriots"

Frank Spaziani
Heights
n00b

Postby BCMcG on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Heights,

I agree with everything you wrote. People liked to get on Doornekamp, but by his senior year he was a prototypical big man for the high post in BC's offense. Regarding the nasty streak, this team is really missing players that opponents and their fans really hate. Guys like Dudley, Bell, and Sidney drove other teams nuts but you had to respect them. This team lacks that swagger and mean streak. Reggie has the potential to bring it to the table, but it's not there yet.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Did someone say Southern regressed? He hasn't developed quickly, but he hasn't regressed. OJdom is still an idiot.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Josh Southern has been pretty good so far this year -- he's scoring at least.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Did someone say Southern regressed? He hasn't developed quickly, but he hasn't regressed. OJdom is still an idiot.

with your predictions about how great this team would be this year, looks like you might want to look in the mirror before callinf someone an idiot.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:10 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Did someone say Southern regressed? He hasn't developed quickly, but he hasn't regressed. OJdom is still an idiot.

with your predictions about how great this team would be this year, looks like you might want to look in the mirror before callinf someone an idiot.

We are 6 games into the season OJ.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:15 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Once again...

I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:06 pm

OJ's thoughts are entirely governed by the stupid star rating system. He obviously sees that Southern was a 4 star recruit and assumes that if he doesn't turn into a dominant player, then Skinner must have somehow screwed something up. All BC needs from Southern is to be Uka Agbai, not Craig Smith. And he's capable of that.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:29 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Six games into the season, and none played with by far their best player.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:55 pm

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Six games into the season, and none played with by far their best player.

taking the best player out of the lineup should not lead to a loss against St. Joe's and N. Iowa. Not for a good team, anyway. Not to mention that since Sanders only plays well in 1 of every two games, he wouldn't have mattered in at least one of the games and probably wouldn't have been the difference in either of them.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:04 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Surprise, surprise - Southern didn't play defense in HS either!
http://www.freep.com/article/20091201/SPORTS06/91201084/1054/sports06/BCs-Josh-Southern-coming-home-vs.-Michigan

southern is the softest 6'11 Center I have ever seen.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:21 pm

southern is the softest 6'11 Center I have ever seen.[/quote]

OJ- you really don't watch a lot of basketball if you haven't seen much softer centers. Way to be supportive of a player on your team. It's good to see you are still a big dick.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Interesting that OJ never rips on basketball as Domino12 on EA. But that would mean that pinhead #2 might agree with him on something.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:10 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:Interesting that OJ never rips on basketball as Domino12 on EA. But that would mean that pinhead #2 might agree with him on something.

You should really get a life...you have too much time on your hands judging by the number of posts you write trying to connect me with people on other boards
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:21 pm

southern's not regressing? He shouldn't ever be on the court if Dunn's not in foul trouble. Worst 6'10" rebounder I have ever seen. TERRIBLE defender.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum