Womens Basketball in the Dumps

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Womens Basketball in the Dumps

Postby Dirtywater75 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:09 am

Okay guys - move on and ignore this if you do not give a crap. However, I think its very helpful to the school's profile to field solid womens teams. Ask what it did for UConn.

What is going on with our women's hoops team? We have started 0-3 with losses to Harvard and a recent blow out loss to Vermont. What do you think this portends once it hits ACC competition? They also had a very large number of transfers out last year under this new coach. This is usually a very solid program for BC and it seems to be going into the dumpster.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Re: Womens Basketball in the Dumps

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:38 am

The women lost their first two games by a total of 7 points so I was willing to write Harvard off as a WTF season opener and then give them credit for playing Rutgers competitively. But I was actually at the Vermont game yesterday and it was the WTFest game ever -- outdoing anything the men's team has turned in in recent years (name your WTF: Vermont, Harvard, Duquesne, etc.). With five juniors and seniors starting, yesterday should never have happened. They were so flat on offense -- and completely unable to stop Vermont's two Canadians on the defensive end, one of whom went off for 38 points or something like that. It was embarassing......and I would NOT want to be at practice today......

All of that said, they got humiliated by Notre Dame last year (like a 50 point loss at home) and then were able to rebound and turn a quality season in, so all is not lost......Yet.
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:41 am

I thought I read somewhere that BC chicks were predicted to finish near the top of the ACC this year. 3rd or 4th. Perhaps I could be wrong.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Bernard Lonergan on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:35 pm

Not a nag hoops fan, but neither am I a GDF fan. GDF hired the nags hoops coach, Crawley. She is more interested in her off-court ventures than bball. She schedules her practices around her other business ventures, and her players (good players who've had success) have no respect for her. She may work hard on her fashion business, but she makes Al Skinner look like a workaholic when it comes to hoops. Nice hire, Gene, you really have a knack for that...
Bernard Lonergan
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:11 pm

Bernard Lonergan {l Wrote}:Not a nag hoops fan, but neither am I a GDF fan. GDF hired the nags hoops coach, Crawley. She is more interested in her off-court ventures than bball. She schedules her practices around her other business ventures, and her players (good players who've had success) have no respect for her. She may work hard on her fashion business, but she makes Al Skinner look like a workaholic when it comes to hoops. Nice hire, Gene, you really have a knack for that...

I heard that too.

How sad and how pathetic and she has job for life.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Bernard Lonergan {l Wrote}:Not a nag hoops fan, but neither am I a GDF fan. GDF hired the nags hoops coach, Crawley. She is more interested in her off-court ventures than bball. She schedules her practices around her other business ventures, and her players (good players who've had success) have no respect for her. She may work hard on her fashion business, but she makes Al Skinner look like a workaholic when it comes to hoops. Nice hire, Gene, you really have a knack for that...

If true, that is really too bad. Swords, Murphy, Picco et. al deserve better. And there's real talent there -- Swords led the nation (yes, the NATION) in field goal percentage last year. I'm going to hold out hope that they can right the ship.....
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby weinerdog on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Was the departure of the program's best-ever coach Cathy Inglese a big falling out between herself and Gene D, as I've heard? If so, it is but another in an alarming pattern of coaches being driven away or pushed out. TOB, Jags, Hughes, Inglese... how long before Jerry York abruptly "retires?"
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:59 am

All the transfers last year were a bad sign and the abrupt departure of Coach Inglese was a worse sign. Inglese was a class act and a good coach and a good representative of the university. That story has been buried by Napoleon. If something like that happened in the mens program he would not have gotten away with it.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby BCLou on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:13 pm

I don't follow women's hoops closely but I'd like to make 2 observations:

1) It's not unusual for players recruited by the outgoing coach to transfer when a new coach arrives.

2) According to ESPN Crawley just signed 3 of the top 100 high school players for next year. This doesn't sound like something a coach would be able to accomplish if her players had no respect for her.
BCLou
Carney Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:16 pm

I'd rather watch BC's Quidditch team than womens bball.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:49 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:

I heard that too.

How sad and how pathetic and she has job for life.

O M G. I always thought that was a photo-shopped picture of Coach Handsome. Whoopsie!!!!
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby joemack13 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Moustaches... it's an epidemic
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:26 am

weinerdog {l Wrote}:Was the departure of the program's best-ever coach Cathy Inglese a big falling out between herself and Gene D, as I've heard? If so, it is but another in an alarming pattern of coaches being driven away or pushed out. TOB, Jags, Hughes, Inglese... how long before Jerry York abruptly "retires?"

It ws a bad situation and a loyal coach was terminated because the athletic director would not control himself. Crawley will continue to be a disaster.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Return to Conte Forum