2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Chris Beard taking over Texas

Big mistake by Beard. Texas will certainly pay him more money, but it is an objectively harder job then winning in Lubbock. Texas is a coach killing job and it isn’t a coincidence that Barnes, who is a Hall of Fame coach as witnessed by his above average performances at Providence, Clemson and Tennessee (and Texas) got run out of Austin on a rail despite taking them to their only Final Four in the last 70 years and two elite eights (with three of its four previous elite eights occurring over 70 years ago).

Beard could have landed the exact same talent in Lubbock as will be available in Austin, and having taken Tech to a final that they could have won, would have been given an enormous amount of latitude if anything went south. In Texas, even a run like Barnes had from 2003 through 2010 will not help you when you have a few years where you only make the 1st or 2nd round of the tournament. Ridiculous expectations for a program that has been objectively less successful then half the Big 12 since the A bomb got dropped on Nagasaki.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:46 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:

Big mistake by Beard. Texas will certainly pay him more money, but it is an objectively harder job then winning in Lubbock. Texas is a coach killing job and it isn’t a coincidence that Barnes, who is a Hall of Fame coach as witnessed by his above average performances at Providence, Clemson and Tennessee (and Texas) got run out of Austin on a rail despite taking them to their only Final Four in the last 70 years and two elite eights (with three of its four previous elite eights occurring over 70 years ago).

Beard could have landed the exact same talent in Lubbock as will be available in Austin, and having taken Tech to a final that they could have won, would have been given an enormous amount of latitude if anything went south. In Texas, even a run like Barnes had from 2003 through 2010 will not help you when you have a few years where you only make the 1st or 2nd round of the tournament. Ridiculous expectations for a program that has been objectively less successful then half the Big 12 since the A bomb got dropped on Nagasaki.

With the rapidly advancing San Francisco-ization of Austin, you can't even say it's a nicer city any more.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 am

I know this is shtick but claiming Lubbock is nicer than any town, outside of Morganstown, is false. Dry county with an STD per capita similar to Bangkok, which isn’t great for anyone not named hansen.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:47 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I know this is shtick but claiming Lubbock is nicer than any town, outside of Morganstown, is false. Dry county with an STD per capita similar to Bangkok, which isn’t great for anyone not named hansen.

The execution here was good enough that it was worth responding to the shtick to get your one liner in. :kudos
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:49 am

I don't know why hoops isn't better at Texas. Good luck to Beard. I think he will be better than Smart. Who knows if he will be as good as Barnes.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:52 am

There is no reason not to take suitcases of cash for 3-4 years. Win, great. Lose, you land on your feet.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There is no reason not to take suitcases of cash for 3-4 years. Win, great. Lose, you land on your feet.

Maybe, but I am told that after his final’s appearance he is making a lot of money at Tech. In fact it’s a matter of public record that he was making $6 million and change through 2023-24. At UT he will make $7 million a year through 2026. Not a huge bump up in salary to take on a job that has been a coach killer for everyone not named Rick Barnes—and even there, Barnes spent the last 6 years of his tenure taking early exits from the NCAA. And really, there is no guarantee that it ends well upon departure. Sure, Rick Barnes made $4 million a year initially at Tennessee (getting a bump up when UCLA came calling), but Barnes was also the most successful UT coach since the Marines landed on Iwo Jima. Shaka Smart is making less at Marquette over the next three years then what he would have made at UT this upcoming season. If the same thing happens to Beard it’s a huge come down from his Lubbock salary that he could have probably had until he was 80 years old and as senile as Bobby Knight.

Also interesting to see the Baby Rapists came for Porter Moser. I am fairly certain he will fail miserably at Oklahoma, but that is precisely the sort of job where you take the money. He’ll likely quadruple his current salary ($1.4 million) and will get a five year deal. When he flames out in five years, assuming he still wants to coach, he’ll land at someplace like DePaul where he’ll get paid in the neighborhood of $2 million a year. A completely different scenario from Beard and a win-win for Moser.

I am interested to see who Steve Watson hires for the Loyola job. He is one of the best basketball ADs out there and whoever he hires is someone BC ought to have a file on for future reference when the Electric Avenue era of BC basketball ends with yet another whimper.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:12 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Also interesting to see the Baby Rapists came for Porter Moser. I am fairly certain he will fail miserably at Oklahoma, but that is precisely the sort of job where you take the money. He’ll likely quadruple his current salary ($1.4 million) and will get a five year deal. When he flames out in five years, assuming he still wants to coach, he’ll land at someplace like DePaul where he’ll get paid in the neighborhood of $2 million a year. A completely different scenario from Beard and a win-win for Moser.

I am interested to see who Steve Watson hires for the Loyola job. He is one of the best basketball ADs out there and whoever he hires is someone BC ought to have a file on for future reference when the Electric Avenue era of BC basketball ends with yet another whimper.

What happens if Steve Watson hires Dennis Gates? Would you then be suggesting we should’ve taken a Cleveland Steamer?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Also interesting to see the Baby Rapists came for Porter Moser. I am fairly certain he will fail miserably at Oklahoma, but that is precisely the sort of job where you take the money. He’ll likely quadruple his current salary ($1.4 million) and will get a five year deal. When he flames out in five years, assuming he still wants to coach, he’ll land at someplace like DePaul where he’ll get paid in the neighborhood of $2 million a year. A completely different scenario from Beard and a win-win for Moser.

What happens if Steve Watson hires Dennis Gates? Would you then be suggesting we should’ve taken a Cleveland Steamer?

No. In the unlikely event Watson hires the Cleveland Steamer I suggest we open a file on him and watch how Watson works with him so if/when he is successful we can try and hire the now proven candidate and provide him with the resources he is getting at ULC so we can replicate that success. With that said, with the fundraising prowess Watson has demonstrated and the fact that ULC has a new practice facility and can pay $2 million a year, I think Watson might go the route of hiring a mid-major success who underperformed at a P6 level. Arch Miller would make a lot of sense under the circumstances.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

No. In the unlikely event Watson hires the Cleveland Steamer I suggest we open a file on him and watch how Watson works with him so if/when he is successful we can try and hire the now proven candidate and provide him with the resources he is getting at ULC so we can replicate that success. With that said, with the fundraising prowess Watson has demonstrated and the fact that ULC has a new practice facility and can pay $2 million a year, I think Watson might go the route of hiring a mid-major success who underperformed at a P6 level. Arch Miller would make a lot of sense under the circumstances.

Not all fundraisers are also adept at hiring. Different skill sets.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ources-say
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:07 pm

I know UNC made hiring "family" important, but I think they could have done better than Hubert Davis.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Not all fundraisers are also adept at hiring. Different skill sets.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ources-say

I dunno. Valentine was the recruiter for Moser. Had very good relationships with the players, and the Chicago media, from what I have seen, seems to think this gives them a fighting chance of getting Crutwig and Williamson to return for fifth years and preserve an incoming recruiting class that looked to be Moser’s best.

Given Watson’s track record with hires and rejuvenating basketball programs, he’s earned the benefit of the doubt. I know from his time at Bonnies that he takes a long view with respect to program building, so I doubt this hire was motivated solely by trying to keep the roster intact for one more year at the expense of making a bad hire. I’ll be interested to see what the staff looks like.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:46 pm

The public always hate promoting assistants, and it’s true sometimes you get Spaz. But Mark Few and Brad Stevens were both internal hires
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:50 pm

so you are saying that hubert davis is the next coach for life at carolina?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:55 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I know UNC made hiring "family" important, but I think they could have done better than Hubert Davis.

If only BC had made family important instead of whatever it was they did.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:08 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:The public always hate promoting assistants, and it’s true sometimes you get Spaz. But Mark Few and Brad Stevens were both internal hires

I think hiring assistants (or bringing back former assistants) works in successful programs. When a program isn't winning, I think it is difficult to say that one of the staffers needing a promotion is what was holding back the program. Promoting Valentine after a successful run by Moser makes all the sense in the world. However, I wouldn't call it some sort of brilliant search that makes us all jealous.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:The public always hate promoting assistants, and it’s true sometimes you get Spaz. But Mark Few and Brad Stevens were both internal hires

I think hiring assistants (or bringing back former assistants) works in successful programs. When a program isn't winning, I think it is difficult to say that one of the staffers needing a promotion is what was holding back the program. Promoting Valentine after a successful run by Moser makes all the sense in the world. However, I wouldn't call it some sort of brilliant search that makes us all jealous.

Well, it definitely isn’t that. I haven’t spoken to anyone who has spoken with Watson, so I am not privy to what drove the decision to stay in house. With that said, my guess is that Watson looked at the infrastructure of the program—which has been exponentially improved from when he got there in 2015, weighed the benefit of hiring a P6 re-tread, which was entirely economically feasible at this point, and decided continuity would work better and giving a minority candidate who has been an ace recruiter since arriving at the program 5 years ago was the best approach.

I also wonder if he looked at the mess he inherited at St Bonnies, which was the direct result of the previous administration basically inviting a successful, but unsexy alum, Jim Baron, to leave for URI because they wouldn’t give him a decent raise even after he resuscitated the program after it had been murdered by Jim O’Brien, because the previous AD was feeling his oats after making a few NITs and an NCAA where they took Kentucky to 2OT and was dead set in landing Jan Van Breda Kolff, who had had some success at Vandy and was the hot name after winning big at Pepperdine. As it turned out, it was a disaster that almost ended the school. Better to go with a young guy you have observed and think has potential then going after an Arch Miller or Woj or the like and getting burned.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I know UNC made hiring "family" important, but I think they could have done better than Hubert Davis.

If anything BC seems to hold it against "family" since Gene left.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If anything BC seems to hold it against "family" since Gene left.

Great. Glad this terrible basketball program is at least being helmed by a rational Jesuit. Christ.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Well, it definitely isn’t that. I haven’t spoken to anyone who has spoken with Watson, so I am not privy to what drove the decision to stay in house. With that said, my guess is that Watson looked at the infrastructure of the program—which has been exponentially improved from when he got there in 2015, weighed the benefit of hiring a P6 re-tread, which was entirely economically feasible at this point, and decided continuity would work better and giving a minority candidate who has been an ace recruiter since arriving at the program 5 years ago was the best approach.

I also wonder if he looked at the mess he inherited at St Bonnies, which was the direct result of the previous administration basically inviting a successful, but unsexy alum, Jim Baron, to leave for URI because they wouldn’t give him a decent raise even after he resuscitated the program after it had been murdered by Jim O’Brien, because the previous AD was feeling his oats after making a few NITs and an NCAA where they took Kentucky to 2OT and was dead set in landing Jan Van Breda Kolff, who had had some success at Vandy and was the hot name after winning big at Pepperdine. As it turned out, it was a disaster that almost ended the school. Better to go with a young guy you have observed and think has potential then going after an Arch Miller or Woj or the like and getting burned.

Texas Tech promoted Mark Adams. Big12 is simply the least woke conference of the Power 5.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ball-coach
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Texas Tech promoted Mark Adams. Big12 is simply the least woke conference of the Power 5.

And the best basketball conference at this point. Not saying there is a correlation, just making an observation.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:44 pm

not sure you can really put them ahead of the pac 12 but your point is still valid in spite of bill (poops him) self
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:56 am

Sean Miller out in Zona. Tough offseason for the Miller boys.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Sean Miller out in Zona. Tough offseason for the Miller boys.

If Tommy Lloyd ends up at Arizona, I will be a bit frustrated. He would have been in the mix last year if not for COVID saving JC. This year we obviously went with "head coaching experience" as a must.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

And the best basketball conference at this point. Not saying there is a correlation, just making an observation.

As tre so correctly indicated the Pac-12 with its 3 teams that were in the Elite-8, begs to differ with that observation.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:37 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

As tre so correctly indicated the Pac-12 with its 3 teams that were in the Elite-8, begs to differ with that observation.

Meh. This tournament was a statical aberration caused by the weird circumstances of the season and the manner in which the tournament was conducted. Oregon St would not have made the tournament had it not gotten hot at precisely the right time and UCLA had a similar run of luck. The Big 12 was a much deeper conference and even in the statical equivalent of repeatedly hitting black jack in this tournament, the Pac-12's 13-5 record in the tournament is only slightly better than the Big 12's 11-6 and the Pac 12 doesn't have the handicap of Bill Self and Bob Huggins propensity for NCAA underachievement and Shaka Smart doing Shaka Smart things. With all that said, the ACC sucks a ton of ass and we will still probably go winless in conference in 2021-22. We are what we are.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:27 am

Dick:

Who do you think Arizona hires? I also don't understand their sudden Michigan/Carolina push to keep it in the family.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:45 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Dick:

Who do you think Arizona hires? I also don't understand their sudden Michigan/Carolina push to keep it in the family.

I think the in-the-family hires are likely due to a demand to hire minorities. As we know, possibly due to systemic issues, the ranks of minority college coaches is thin and “hot” minority coaches essentially non-existent. So, the decision I think these programs faced was (a) reach for a middling coach in the low majors or (b) give the job to an unproven legend to see what he can do with a proper support system.

BC chose (a), UNC and Mich chose (b). In fairness, it is an entirely different job to continue a successful program with built-in advantages than trying to build a program anew with inherent disadvantages.

What you have not seen this cycle is colleges going around and poaching the most successful coaches off of other programs. That’s what’s unique about the scenario. But, those that ignored wokeness certainly had a rich pool from which to draw. If you were grading-out this year’s moves, Texas-Beard and CoC-Kelsey are bound to be 2 of the best (along with Marq-Shaka).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:44 pm

I love when HJS pretends like he actually has inside information on BC, let alone other schools.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:45 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I love when HJS pretends like he actually has inside information on BC, let alone other schools.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum