2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby tallsy on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm

I'm going to disagree with the majority here, this could get even worse. This is almost the opposite of my view in football hirings, but the program is such a disaster it needs someone with the highest floor even if they have limited ceiling/longevity. Also, I strongly think we should do a true national search.

Willard
Schmidt
Luring Pikiell from Rutgers
Rick Stansbury
Scott Nagy
tallsy
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 am
Karma: 79

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:28 pm

It's a bold move by Kraft. Some might argue it was necessary. But undoubtedly, it comes with major risk. I hope "Kraft Cheese Singles" knows what he's doing. Arrogance has been the undoing of many a man who came to Chestnut Hill with more dreams than sense...
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: 47

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:40 pm

tallsy wrote:I'm going to disagree with the majority here, this could get even worse. This is almost the opposite of my view in football hirings, but the program is such a disaster it needs someone with the highest floor even if they have limited ceiling/longevity. Also, I strongly think we should do a true national search.

Willard
Schmidt
Luring Pikiell from Rutgers
Rick Stansbury
Scott Nagy


The program is possibly the worst college basketball program of any relevance in a decent conference in the country. I am scratching my head trying to think of something that can worse that this fucking shitpile.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32841
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2489

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:08 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
tallsy wrote:I'm going to disagree with the majority here, this could get even worse. This is almost the opposite of my view in football hirings, but the program is such a disaster it needs someone with the highest floor even if they have limited ceiling/longevity. Also, I strongly think we should do a true national search.

Willard
Schmidt
Luring Pikiell from Rutgers
Rick Stansbury
Scott Nagy


The program is possibly the worst college basketball program of any relevance in a decent conference in the country. I am scratching my head trying to think of something that can worse that this fucking shitpile.


There is nothing worse than BC basketball in the P6. Honestly, I think this team wouldn’t finish in the Top 6 in the A10 and would not be a lead pipe cinch to win the MAAC. And it isn’t just that the team imploded this year, it is the decade plus of awfulness (with one mediocre NIT season despite having to NBA players on the roster). You could argue that both Iowa State and Kansas State are worse than BC this year, but both of those teams have been to the NCAAs within the last 3 years. You might also argue that DePaul has been as bad for an even longer period of time and that is probably true, but DePaul pantsed us the last time we played.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3836
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 356

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:12 pm

In the ACC, we’ve tried and failed with guys who have had success in the Ivies and MAC. In the Big East, we’ve had very good success with guys who have had success in the A10. I think sustained winning in a comparably, slightly less profile conference helps when taking over the challenging job at the Heights.

Accordingly, if BigEast:A10 than ACC:BigEast.

From that universe:
Butler Bulldogs - LaVall Jordan
Connecticut Huskies - Dan Hurley
Creighton Bluejays - Greg McDermott
DePaul Blue Demons - Dave Leitao
Georgetown Hoyas - Patrick Ewing
Marquette Golden Eagles - Steve Wojciechowski
Providence Friars - Ed Cooley
Seton Hall Pirates - Kevin Willard
St. John’s Red Storm - Mike Anderson
Villanova Wildcats - Jay Wright
Xavier Musketeers - Travis Steele

If you want to consider AAC and A10, you expand the universe as follows:

Cincinnati Bearcats - John Brannen
East Carolina Pirates - Joe Dooley
Houston Cougars - Kelvin Sampson
Memphis Tigers - Penny Hardaway
SMU Mustangs - Tim Jankovich
South Florida Bulls - Brian Gregory
Temple Owls - Aaron McKie
Tulane Green Wave - Ron Hunter
Tulsa Golden Hurricane - Frank Haith
UCF Knights - Johnny Dawkins
Wichita State Shockers - Isaac Brown (interim)

Davidson Wildcats - Bob McKillop
Dayton Flyers - Anthony Grant
Duquesne Dukes - Keith Dambrot
Fordham Rams - Michael DePaoli (interim)
George Mason Patriots - Dave Paulsen
George Washington Colonials - Jamion Christian
La Salle Explorers - Ashley Howard
Rhode Island Rams - David Cox
Richmond Spiders - Chris Mooney
St. Bonaventure Bonnies - Mark Schmidt
Saint Joseph’s Hawks - Billy Lange
Saint Louis Billikens - Travis Ford
UMass Minutemen - Matt McCall
VCU Rams - Mike Rhoades


In surveying those lists, I think BC takes a look at:
Jordan
Hurley
McDermott
Wojo
Willard
Cooley
Steele
Dooley
Dawkins
Grant
Paulsen
Mooney
Schmidt
Ford
Rhoads

In addition, they’ll add Coen, Eisley, Amaker and Becker (and throw out feelers to Bob Hurley and Hopkins). Goodman mentioned Randy Bennett and Porter Moser. I’d be fine with either, but neither has a connection to this half of the country.

That’s approximately 20 names that I think would be interested in the job if we made an aggressive play for them (meaning identifying them as the choice, offering them and their assistants ACC-going-rate and follow through on the practice facility).

There are certainly some I prefer over others, but I really don’t have much of a fell anymore for the sport. I’d also point out that the sport is changing as one-and-done disappears and the G League becomes a real minor league. There could be something to focusing on career guys like Bennett or just an alum who gets the school.

Ultimately, I think most would consider it a home run if we landed: Ford, Willard, Wojo, D.Hurley or Grant. On a personal note, I have always thought highly of Randy Bennet in a Mark Few way. And, while I can’t see him as a fit, I’d love to see how he’d do in a real conference.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15523
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 492

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:51 pm

The idea that the Danny Hurley I played against in high school is a top choice for the BC hoop job is hilarious. The dude was deadly from three if you didn't force him to go right, but he literally couldn't spell "Hurley"
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32841
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2489

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:14 am

HJS wrote:In addition, they’ll add Coen


please don't
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18547
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: 34

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby BostonCollege1 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:32 am

If Prohm gets fired from Iowa State, would you consider him? He’s had past success, but a bad last couple of years. I don’t think he was at the easiest place to win, either.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:37 am
Karma: 61

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:51 am

Several names have been floating around the past few weeks as potential replacements in Chestnut Hill, including Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser, former Michigan coach John Beilein, Michigan assistant coach Howard Eisley, St. Bonaventure's Mark Schmidt, VCU's Mike Rhoades and Saint Mary's head coach Randy Bennett.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -13-season

That’s not a terrible list.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15523
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 492

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Tom Dooder on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:06 am

HJS wrote:
Several names have been floating around the past few weeks as potential replacements in Chestnut Hill, including Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser, former Michigan coach John Beilein, Michigan assistant coach Howard Eisley, St. Bonaventure's Mark Schmidt, VCU's Mike Rhoades and Saint Mary's head coach Randy Bennett.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -13-season

That’s not a terrible list.


Of that list:
1. Schmidt
2. Bennett
3. Rhoades
4. Eisley
5. Moser

Fact of the day: VCU (Rhoades) has outranked BC in recruiting the past three years according to 247. Very sad.

Moser can coach but he hasn’t shown a great ability to recruit and it’s desperately needed.

Beilen is not coming here.
User avatar
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:37 am
Karma: 65

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:07 am

HJS wrote:
Several names have been floating around the past few weeks as potential replacements in Chestnut Hill, including Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser, former Michigan coach John Beilein, Michigan assistant coach Howard Eisley, St. Bonaventure's Mark Schmidt, VCU's Mike Rhoades and Saint Mary's head coach Randy Bennett.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -13-season

That’s not a terrible list.


To me, Eisley is the basketball version of Hafley. Connections to the NBA, never a head coach, but tremendous upside. I think he would stay longer than Hafley, especially in an ACC where Krzyzewski, Williams, and Boeheim will all be retiring soon.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"
User avatar
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:49 am
Karma: 603

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:15 am

HJS wrote:
Several names have been floating around the past few weeks as potential replacements in Chestnut Hill, including Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser, former Michigan coach John Beilein, Michigan assistant coach Howard Eisley, St. Bonaventure's Mark Schmidt, VCU's Mike Rhoades and Saint Mary's head coach Randy Bennett.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -13-season

That’s not a terrible list.


If "they" want to win NOW (and when I say "they" I mean the BOT and Kraft) then go get the guy in Houston. I think Kraft would do it but its likely that the BOT wouldn't go for it with Sampson's past behavior. And I understand that their integrity and the integrity of the school are more important than winning at all costs. I get it. But to win now, I think that would be the move.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18547
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: 34

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:17 am

BCMurt09 wrote:
HJS wrote:
Several names have been floating around the past few weeks as potential replacements in Chestnut Hill, including Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser, former Michigan coach John Beilein, Michigan assistant coach Howard Eisley, St. Bonaventure's Mark Schmidt, VCU's Mike Rhoades and Saint Mary's head coach Randy Bennett.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -13-season

That’s not a terrible list.


To me, Eisley is the basketball version of Hafley. Connections to the NBA, never a head coach, but tremendous upside. I think he would stay longer than Hafley, especially in an ACC where Krzyzewski, Williams, and Boeheim will all be retiring soon.

Completely disagree that Eisley and Hafley are similar.

I knew Howard in college. Real nice, down to earth guy. But, he is quieter and more understated than Skinner. Al showed that can work incredibly well, but it’s nothing like Hafley’s persona.

Most importantly, Hafley came up the ranks (before his time in the NFL) being known as an ace recruiter (not just at places like OSU, but at Pitt and Rutgers). Eisley as a recruiter is the number one concern.

Will he stay longer than Hafley? That’s not a question. He wanted the job when he was with the Knicks. Went to Michigan to pad his resume for this job. He has spent more years prepping for the BC job than Hafley will be here. Eisley will be here easily for 10 years if he’s any good.
Last edited by HJS on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15523
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 492

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:17 am

HJS wrote:Wojo

I'd rather go 0-20 every year.
Image
User avatar
Onyx Blackman
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2991
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:37 am
Karma: 2973

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:11 am

HJS wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:Lol at Brad Stevens be on the hot seat.

It’s the NBA. Every coach is on the hot seat each minute they are employed. Coaches are the most discarded commodity in that league. If you have no talent, a great coach can have you battling for the 8th seed. If you have talent, the coach doesn’t matter and usually ignored by the aforementioned talent. I think Stevens is excellent and does a great job with a roster that will never win anything. But, if Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown ever get pissed at him for any reason, he’s gone before you can say “5th longest tenure in the NBA”.

So your original point was you speaking out of your ass. Got it.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5691
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: -11

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:37 am

Onyx Blackman wrote:
HJS wrote:Wojo

I'd rather go 0-20 every year.

I am in the no Dukies camp.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am
Karma: 644

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 am

At this point in the search, the only thing that matters is how much Blauds content we get.


Go across the Charles River and hire Harvard coach Tommy Amaker, who checks off EVERY criteria box that Kraft could have in hiring a new coach.

...

If there is a minority issue involved, Amaker, who has been a growing presence in Boston outside of basketball, also checks all the boxes.
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: 47

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:42 am

Man the lists floated by the media are underwhelming. James Jones? No thanks. He’s been at Yale since 1999 and has produced positive seasons at a low rate over a long stretch of time. Even Amaker, I’m good. The last Ivy coach we hired set us back several years

Schmidt and UVM’s coach are realistic candidates I can get down with

By the way... Brad Stevens is on the Twitter hot seat, not the actual hot seat.
Last edited by BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like BC basketball.
User avatar
BCEagles25
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:42 pm
Karma: 110

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:42 am

How bout that Jim Christian guy
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9557
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2672

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:42 am

ATLeagle wrote:
Onyx Blackman wrote:
HJS wrote:Wojo

I'd rather go 0-20 every year.

I am in the no Dukies camp.

thirded... but i'm the most no dookies with wojo. floor slapping ass face
congratulations to hansen... gayest poster for the 11th year in a row
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 21226
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 5863

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:45 am

innocentbystander wrote:... Sampson...

there is a better chance of your boyfriend coen being named "bc basketball coach for life" than there is sampson getting hired. continued mention of him only makes you look dumber and less informed (a feat i did not think possible)
congratulations to hansen... gayest poster for the 11th year in a row
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 21226
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 5863

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:51 am

BCEagles25 wrote:Man the lists floated by the media are underwhelming. James Jones? No thanks. He’s been at Yale since 1999 and has produced positive seasons at a low rate over a long stretch of time. Even Amaker, I’m good. The last Ivy coach we hired set us back several years

Schmidt and UVM’s coach are realistic candidates I can get down with

By the way... Brad Stevens is on the Twitter hot seat, not the actual hot seat.


James Jones is a far better choice than the guy from Vermont.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32841
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2489

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:57 am

flyingelvii wrote:
HJS wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:Lol at Brad Stevens be on the hot seat.

It’s the NBA. Every coach is on the hot seat each minute they are employed. Coaches are the most discarded commodity in that league. If you have no talent, a great coach can have you battling for the 8th seed. If you have talent, the coach doesn’t matter and usually ignored by the aforementioned talent. I think Stevens is excellent and does a great job with a roster that will never win anything. But, if Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown ever get pissed at him for any reason, he’s gone before you can say “5th longest tenure in the NBA”.

So your original point was you speaking out of your ass. Got it.

We already know how well you react to selectively reading comments that challenge your safe space. All I ever said was that Stevens likes his life in Wellesley (coming from his friends) and then commented on the fact that no job is ever safe in the NBA. I think the BC job is beneath him and we'd have to make him the highest paid coach in college. It ain't happening unless he wanted out knowing that (despite what you claim) he likely otherwise won't be in the area in 5 years.
Trigger Alert (the following could include statements that readers find objectionable and challenge their delicately-held beliefs. Please use caution while reading and know that the "x" in the upper right corner can be pushed at any moment to remove the content from view) - https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/12/19/ ... is-season/

Personally, I hate the NBA and it is probably partly due to how the league has devolved into something devoid of strategy and systems. I preferred the times where Detroit could scheme its way to a title. Now, the Association is nothing more than a McDonald's All Star game where the only strategy employed is clearing cap space and exacting draft picks from teams desperate for an All Star.
Last edited by HJS on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15523
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 492

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:01 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
BCEagles25 wrote:Man the lists floated by the media are underwhelming. James Jones? No thanks. He’s been at Yale since 1999 and has produced positive seasons at a low rate over a long stretch of time. Even Amaker, I’m good. The last Ivy coach we hired set us back several years

Schmidt and UVM’s coach are realistic candidates I can get down with

By the way... Brad Stevens is on the Twitter hot seat, not the actual hot seat.


James Jones is a far better choice than the guy from Vermont.


Couldn’t disagree more. Both are in barely competitive basketball conferences for at least a decade, sure - but one of them has had nothing but 20-win seasons. It is not James Jones.

James Jones
21 seasons coaching at Yale:
20-win seasons: 5
Average record: 16-13

John Becker
9 full seasons at UVM:
20-win seasons: all 9 seasons
Average record: 24-10
I like BC basketball.
User avatar
BCEagles25
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:42 pm
Karma: 110

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:02 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:... Sampson...

there is a better chance of your boyfriend coen being named "bc basketball coach for life" than there is sampson getting hired. continued mention of him only makes you look dumber and less informed (a feat i did not think possible)


I agree with you, Sampson will never be hired or even mentioned behind the scenes. You are right. And I will not mention him again. I just want what you want tre, I want BC to win in men's hoops right-the-fuck-now. I'll take any coach who can accomplish that at this point. And I don't think I'm speaking out of turn here when I say that the rest of EO wants to win ASAP. Whatever coach that can accomplish that (regardless of his shady history) I think we would all welcome at this point.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18547
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: 34

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:04 pm

BCEagles25 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
BCEagles25 wrote:Man the lists floated by the media are underwhelming. James Jones? No thanks. He’s been at Yale since 1999 and has produced positive seasons at a low rate over a long stretch of time. Even Amaker, I’m good. The last Ivy coach we hired set us back several years

Schmidt and UVM’s coach are realistic candidates I can get down with

By the way... Brad Stevens is on the Twitter hot seat, not the actual hot seat.


James Jones is a far better choice than the guy from Vermont.


Couldn’t disagree more. Both are in barely competitive basketball conferences for at least a decade, sure - but one of them has had nothing but 20-win seasons. It is not James Jones.

James Jones
21 seasons coaching at Yale:
20-win seasons: 5
Average record: 16-13

John Becker
9 full seasons at UVM:
20-win seasons: all 9 seasons
Average record: 24-10


I have familiarity with Jones' system from Albany and I have had the misfortune of watching a lot of Vermont games in the 50s. Jones yes. Hard pass on Becker.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32841
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2489

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:07 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
BCEagles25 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
BCEagles25 wrote:Man the lists floated by the media are underwhelming. James Jones? No thanks. He’s been at Yale since 1999 and has produced positive seasons at a low rate over a long stretch of time. Even Amaker, I’m good. The last Ivy coach we hired set us back several years

Schmidt and UVM’s coach are realistic candidates I can get down with

By the way... Brad Stevens is on the Twitter hot seat, not the actual hot seat.


James Jones is a far better choice than the guy from Vermont.


Couldn’t disagree more. Both are in barely competitive basketball conferences for at least a decade, sure - but one of them has had nothing but 20-win seasons. It is not James Jones.

James Jones
21 seasons coaching at Yale:
20-win seasons: 5
Average record: 16-13

John Becker
9 full seasons at UVM:
20-win seasons: all 9 seasons
Average record: 24-10


I have familiarity with Jones' system from Albany and I have had the misfortune of watching a lot of Vermont games in the 50s. Jones yes. Hard pass on Becker.


Fair enough. I have no eye test experience with James Jones, maybe I’ll just defer to you there. The numbers signal Becker to me. I don’t mind low scoring fist fight basketball - works for Tony Bennett, worked for Al
I like BC basketball.
User avatar
BCEagles25
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:42 pm
Karma: 110

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:25 pm

We've tried low majors before. I don't think it will work here. I think they should poach the BigEast or a select few from AAC and A10. Only exception I'd be willing to consider is Randy Bennett. Otherwise, just go with Eisley.

The next coach is assured of doing no worse than the last. It is a terrible job (in the sense that the ACC is difficult and there is no built-in advantage to the program), but it is a decent job (in the sense that there is no expectations and anything would be continued progress). So, unless you are convinced you have a homerun hire, might as well give it to someone who can grow into the gig. Eisley can coach Xs and Os... he has shown a base level ability to recruit at Michigan. Ultimately, Eisley's success will be pinned to his staff. BC under Obie and Skinner were really more complete staffs with a figurehead coach. JOB was backed up by Biancardi and Spiller, Skinner was supported by OShea, Coen and Cooley. JC has had good assistants, but he was always a terrible, uninspiring figurehead.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15523
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 492

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:45 pm

BCEagles25 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
BCEagles25 wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:
BCEagles25 wrote:Man the lists floated by the media are underwhelming. James Jones? No thanks. He’s been at Yale since 1999 and has produced positive seasons at a low rate over a long stretch of time. Even Amaker, I’m good. The last Ivy coach we hired set us back several years

Schmidt and UVM’s coach are realistic candidates I can get down with

By the way... Brad Stevens is on the Twitter hot seat, not the actual hot seat.


James Jones is a far better choice than the guy from Vermont.


Couldn’t disagree more. Both are in barely competitive basketball conferences for at least a decade, sure - but one of them has had nothing but 20-win seasons. It is not James Jones.

James Jones
21 seasons coaching at Yale:
20-win seasons: 5
Average record: 16-13

John Becker
9 full seasons at UVM:
20-win seasons: all 9 seasons
Average record: 24-10


I have familiarity with Jones' system from Albany and I have had the misfortune of watching a lot of Vermont games in the 50s. Jones yes. Hard pass on Becker.


Fair enough. I have no eye test experience with James Jones, maybe I’ll just defer to you there. The numbers signal Becker to me. I don’t mind low scoring fist fight basketball - works for Tony Bennett, worked for Al


Becker also inherited a far better situation.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32841
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2489

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:48 pm

HJS wrote:
BCMurt09 wrote:
HJS wrote:
Several names have been floating around the past few weeks as potential replacements in Chestnut Hill, including Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser, former Michigan coach John Beilein, Michigan assistant coach Howard Eisley, St. Bonaventure's Mark Schmidt, VCU's Mike Rhoades and Saint Mary's head coach Randy Bennett.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -13-season

That’s not a terrible list.


To me, Eisley is the basketball version of Hafley. Connections to the NBA, never a head coach, but tremendous upside. I think he would stay longer than Hafley, especially in an ACC where Krzyzewski, Williams, and Boeheim will all be retiring soon.

Completely disagree that Eisley and Hafley are similar.

I knew Howard in college. Real nice, down to earth guy. But, he is quieter and more understated than Skinner. Al showed that can work incredibly well, but it’s nothing like Hafley’s persona.

Most importantly, Hafley came up the ranks (before his time in the NFL) being known as an ace recruiter (not just at places like OSU, but at Pitt and Rutgers). Eisley as a recruiter is the number one concern.

Will he stay longer than Hafley? That’s not a question. He wanted the job when he was with the Knicks. Went to Michigan to pad his resume for this job. He has spent more years prepping for the BC job than Hafley will be here. Eisley will be here easily for 10 years if he’s any good.


Michigan has the #1 (yes #1 overall) ‘21 recruiting class. Eisley can recruit.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16898
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -293

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Untitled document
cron