2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:06 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Looks like Greg McDermott is immensely more gettable now than when the process started.

Is he as available as Brad Stevens?

Only if we can bait him into making a racially offensive analogy.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Looks like Greg McDermott is immensely more gettable now than when the process started.

Depends on how much he likes Wellesley.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:11 am

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:Stop with the Willard option. Besides his 1-4 record in the NCAA tournament his teams fold down the stretch in the regular season.

I am with 2001Eagle. At Seton Hall, 5 consecutive NCAA appearances is fantastic. Who cares that they only won one game. They got their 5 times. In a row. Five appearances playing in the Big East no less! That is an incredibly hard conference to win 21+ games (a season) and get an at-large.

They are not going to get Willard but if they did, wow! That is home run no matter how much (or little) they have to pay Willard. I don't know if he'll get get BC to the National Championship, but it is a vast upgrade.

A professor at BC once told our class better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Wow I had no idea that Mark Twain taught at BC. I also didn’t know you were that old

EDIT: Upon further research, this is a Maurice Switzer quote falsely attributed to Mark Twain, as many sayings are. So fuck whatever I said and have a great rest of your day

EDIT Jr: I am also aware of my post’s irony in relation to the quote. But you guys didn’t have doubts

Doubt? I haven't really thought that deeply about it. I think it was just Shoreagle trying to be a wise ass with just rhetoric because it appears he lacks both facts or math.

Look, root for whoever you want to coach this team. I don't care. I just want them to win and go for #1.

You said wow, Willard would be a home run hire and even threw in The words Final Four. I’m saying that Willard will be lucky not to get run out of shit school Seton Hall after this year. He’s always been the TOB of college basketball. I want better for my alma mater.

Yeah after more than a dozen years of this college hoop horseshit at BC, the majority of the people of this site might actually be THRILLED with the TOB of college basketball. Go 21-9 every year, get an "at-large" on selection Sunday, and get clobbered by a #3 or #4 in their bracket, yeah, I'll take that for the next 5 years. Then at least we have.... HOPE! Redd was wrong Shoreagle, hope is not a dangerous thing. Andy is right, its the best of things.

Right now, we got nothing, no hope for anything.

And when the fuck did I ever say The words Final Four? I think you may have me mixed up with someone else?

Last time I looked you have to make the Final Four to win a national championship. Look, you went to Northeastern, I went to BC. I want my school to aim higher than an occasional 21-9 and a first round exit from the NCAA’s. I had that with Al Skinner

ok
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

depends - has brad told any of his players to stay on the plantation recently?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:21 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If this is anyone other than Steve Allen, you are stealing my bit.--Krusty the Clown
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:48 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If this is anyone other than Steve Allen, you are stealing my bit.--Krusty the Clown

it's derivative... you suggested baiting him whereas i was acknowledging that he'd just say it on his own - carlos mencia
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:48 am

If you are going to spend big for Willard, you might as well spend for Cooley. Willard might have more recent success but I have more confidence in Cooley doing it at BC.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm

I just don't understand Kraft taking the job knowing he wouldn't be replacing a FB coach for a while but knew he'd be replacing a BB coach, going out and not having some room to get a legitimate hire. Now, I say that thinking Eisley is a legitimate hire, but I would be shocked if he wasn't going after a big fish. Just reputation alone for his career he has to try and play with those guys.

McDermott obviously would be an awesome hire and in the COVID soaked world would likely be able to avoid media scrutiny for a while, but we don't get guys like that, I'm assuming Schmidt is in the strong running because Pearlman just endorsed him.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:51 pm

mcdermott is not leaving what he built in omaha to come resurrect our shit ball program. his jesuit vibes are not THAT strong

plus - when your ad makes a statement about a diversity hire, you don't bring in someone that's in hot water because he just made some borderline racist comments. the bc wokeness would explode all over itself (and not in a hjs thinking about greg schiano sort of way)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:17 pm

I think it's gonna be Schmidt
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Detroit sportswriter saying that Kraft made a move on Beilein and Beilein turned it down

https://twitter.com/tonypaul1984/status ... 31521?s=21
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:50 pm

shut up hansen
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:25 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:I think it's gonna be Schmidt

I'm curious if Schmidt would really interview, go through a process, etc and entertain the position this year. They are squarely on the bubble, most have them in but with a semifinal game against SLU coming tomorrow (who beat them once already), if they lose, SLU would seemingly move in and maybe at their expense. But either way, he has a roster that literally has everyone coming back next year (not weird covid stuff - they have no seniors, almost all juniors). After next year would be his time to cash in, as will likely be A-10 favorite, may be coming off back to back NCAAT berths, plus the program will enter a real reset after graduating this current group, and if he really wanted to make a jump, could have a better pick of spots versus just the "go to your alma matter" move that has been rumored during the last 3 job searches here. Does Boeheim retire? Capel is probably gone if Pitt doesn't make it next year. If Willard ever moves onward and upward, maybe thats a fit. Etc.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:03 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:If you are going to spend big for Willard, you might as well spend for Cooley. Willard might have more recent success but I have more confidence in Cooley doing it at BC.

I understand you are, I am told, some sort of ill-formed lion and you speak. But question: Cooley is not alumnus. He has been the head coach at Providence longer than he was an assistant here. Why would he jump ship, especially when (at this point for BC) it would be a lateral move for him at best?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:16 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:If you are going to spend big for Willard, you might as well spend for Cooley. Willard might have more recent success but I have more confidence in Cooley doing it at BC.

I understand you are, I am told, some sort of ill-formed lion and you speak. But question: Cooley is not alumnus. He has been the head coach at Providence longer than he was an assistant here. Why would he jump ship, especially when (at this point for BC) it would be a lateral move for him at best?

At the end of the day, if a coach is good enough and is willing to take on the project, he has the potential to be, in the next ten years, the best coach in the historically best basketball conference in the country.

Boeheim, Williams, and Krzyzewski will all be retiring in the next ten years. There's not another coach in the ACC of that caliber. If a coach believes they could be as good as those guys, why not take the BC job.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Brad Stevens was caught on camera saying all the Boston Celtics are a bunch of SOBs. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:01 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Detroit sportswriter saying that Kraft made a move on Beilein and Beilein turned it down

https://twitter.com/tonypaul1984/status ... 31521?s=21

BC made a move on Beilein last year and he had no interest. I don't know if Kraft went back.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:05 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Money and perhaps he has hit his ceiling at Providence. I also think the p5 conferences are going to pull away soon. They have the money and the leverage.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:11 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Money and perhaps he has hit his ceiling at Providence. I also think the p5 conferences are going to pull away soon. They have the money and the leverage.

Cooley also recruited half of the under-30 inmates in the Providence County Jail, lest we forget
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:37 pm

no clue why atl keeps bringing up cooley every year

skinner would be rehired before cooley happens
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:01 am

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:I just don't understand Kraft taking the job knowing he wouldn't be replacing a FB coach for a while but knew he'd be replacing a BB coach, going out and not having some room to get a legitimate hire. Now, I say that thinking Eisley is a legitimate hire, but I would be shocked if he wasn't going after a big fish. Just reputation alone for his career he has to try and play with those guys.

McDermott obviously would be an awesome hire and in the COVID soaked world would likely be able to avoid media scrutiny for a while, but we don't get guys like that, I'm assuming Schmidt is in the strong running because Pearlman just endorsed him.

The Miller brothers also look getable (Archie is being run out of Indy and Sean just go smacked with a half dozen Level 1 violations).

There isn’t a lot of big fish out there. I agree that Kraft wants to make a splash in his new job. It makes his fundraising efforts (which he really gets paid to do) immensely easier if he hits a home run in this hire.

But, this board has yet to pinpoint a single coach who everyone would be excited for. BB is a weird sport and certain coaches do well everywhere and others only excel when they fit the program. Some feel that a coach losing at a school with endless resources (or in the pros) means they can’t do it at BC. However, I think some of these coaches simply are adept at doing more with less. Accordingly, I’d be excited for guys like Anthony Grant or Archie Miller or Shaka Smart or John Groce or Mike Hopkins. I also think that the program could benefit from hiring a name (even if it is someone the 6 people on this board would hate)... that includes guys like Steve Alford, Frank Haith, JTIII, Tom Crean, Tommy Amaker, Johnny Dawkins, Bobby Hurley or Wojo.

At the end of the day, this isn’t Kraft’s first job search. He was partly hired based upon his strong football searches at Temple. I think we should view things through his eyes instead of ours. Can he fundraise on the heels of announcing Bill Coen as the next head coach? Nope. Not until Year 4 when the 63-year-old is finally turning things around (while considering retirement). However, he can engender some excitement from alums who aren’t Hoops Weirdos by hiring someone casual sports fans have heard of. He can ask for money to support a guy like Howard Eisley. And, he can fundraise by radically accelerating an up-and-comer to give rah-rah speeches and inject energy (essentially the BB version of Jarmond). I’d be surprised by a good, solid, respected, long time ball coach from a lower level... that’s essentially what we’ve had with Don and JC. While getting someone to bring this program to respectability (so we can have a better hire next go around) is a strategy, I don’t think it is a sound one for an AD who likely won’t be here long enough to see that play out.

Btw... you said Pearlman... did you mean Goodman? Goodman is who was involved with tarnishing Skinner’s legacy and bemoaned the JC firing. He is the last person to have connections with BC.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:44 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:But question: Cooley is not alumnus. He has been the head coach at Providence longer than he was an assistant here. Why would he jump ship, especially when (at this point for BC) it would be a lateral move for him at best?

At the end of the day, if a coach is good enough and is willing to take on the project, he has the potential to be, in the next ten years, the best coach in the historically best basketball conference in the country.

Boeheim, Williams, and Krzyzewski will all be retiring in the next ten years. There's not another coach in the ACC of that caliber. If a coach believes they could be as good as those guys, why not take the BC job.

This is legitimately a wonderful pitch. I actually hope Kraft is mentioning this.

I would make a slight edit that Leonard Hamilton and Tony Bennett have multiple years now fielding nationally ranked top 10 teams in this conference, but those three are on the Mt Rushmore of NCAAB coaches the past 25 years so naturally nobody in the conference is that good
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:53 pm

It is gay and lame that Douggie Mac was suspended by creighton for saying plantation. I wish he would get pissed enough to leave but I doubt it. We had a nice chat yesterday and he’s staying strong in spite of the gayness of the suspension

He also said I could not stay in his guest room or the cws, so eff him anyway
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:17 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:It is gay and lame that Douggie Mac was suspended by creighton for saying plantation. I wish he would get pissed enough to leave but I doubt it. We had a nice chat yesterday and he’s staying strong in spite of the gayness of the suspension

He also said I could not stay in his guest room or the cws, so eff him anyway

To be fair, saying “stay on the plantation” to a roster of mostly black players when he is the only one getting paid is the least aware thing I can think of

He apologized sincerely and seems like he meant nothing by it, so to suspend him is overkill. I hate cancel culture unless the Twitter witch burning crowd actually gets a legitimate piece of shit uncovered. But stuff like this is overkill to me
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:20 pm

The challenge is that it’s Omaha. If he had stuck with the colloquialism of “stay on the reservation” it would also have been racist, but at least you can bet sports on the reservation in the Omaha area
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:32 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:The challenge is that it’s Omaha. If he had stuck with the colloquialism of “stay on the reservation” it would also have been racist, but at least you can bet sports on the reservation in the Omaha area

The worst part about it is its not a thing. Had he said reservation at least he had an excuse. And no one would have cared.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shoreagle on Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:36 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}: If NBA playing career was a thing, Georgetown and Vandy and Wake and Pacific and Portland would have been crushing it with Patrick Ewing, Jerry Stackhouse, Danny Manning, Damon Staoudamire and Terry Porter as their respective head coaches.

Just playing in the NBA is not the point, no one thinks Dennis Rodman should get the Indiana job. But when you also coached in the league for a long time, served as an assistant at a major program (led by a young African American ex-NBA alum with 6 years of NBA assistant coaching experience that had the squad at #2 in the country prior to yesterday), the NBA experience is another arrow in the recruiting quiver.

Eisley is not a small time hire. You might be able to get him for relatively cheap though, now. If UM continues the way they have this season, Eisley is going to blow up sooner or later.

I’d prefer an established guy like Willard, but Eisley nor Gates are small time hires. I’d rather take a chance with them than the JTIII, Paul Hewitt, Brian Gregory crew.

Both Eisley and Gates will get interviews for HC jobs this year outside of BC

Willard is famous for being the son of the Holy Cross coach that gave #1 seeds a tough half. His career record at Seton Hall is okay I guess. Think about that last sentence.

Seton Hall was pretty horrible before he showed up. Would’ve made 5 straight NCAAs if it hadn’t been cancelled. That’s way better than okay.

This is going to be a 4-5 year rebuild at BC so people will need to have some patience with whoever they hire.

Willard is the most mediocre of options with zero upside. I'd rather have his dad, about 80 choices after Eisley

Sorry how is 5 consecutive NCAAs bad? It’s not like Seton Hall was a powerhouse before him

Just stop. He's the JC Penney of coaches. Hard pass and take about 20% off there Captain Shoots.

The hall had been to the tournament 3 times in 16 years before Willard took over.

Agree he ain’t flashy, but I think he’s the type of competent coach BC needs to get back to some level of respectability. Sign me up for 5 consecutive tournaments.

This post has aged well 18-0 now down by 10. Would be a great hire for us
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:46 pm

Pretty dumb to judge a guy on one game, and I can't stand the guy as a viable option.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:24 pm

So Mark Schmidt basically just pantsed Travis Ford and kicked him off to the NIT despite the fact that SLU was the consensus favorite to win the A-10. Bonnies is now in the Tournement, only question is whether they come in at a 6,7,8,9 or 10 seed.

Have to think that if the shoot the moon candidate can’t be landed, Schmidt is either the first fall back option or the first viable white candidate.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:30 pm

I'm good with Schmidt I guess. He's far better than Willard.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum